Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Keplar240B wrote: »
    The runners are wrecking my head , huffing and puffing and spewing virus everywhere , It should be banned. They are everywhere.

Sorry, I've been running before COVID 19 and I'll continue to do so.

It's the people that never left the house before, brining their entire family out and taking up the entire width of the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Key takeaway from this thread is that there are three camps

Those who think everyone should be nearly locked up in their homes
    Those who see no reason for themselves not to go out but will freely complain about everyone else going out
    The rest who are generally going out and behaving according to the published advice while minding their own business

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I haven't encountered joggers panting in my face in Rathmines either.

i'm in the rathmines club too !
    It is busy so i try to avoid the main street where possible, i'd say it'll be busy by the canal this weekend

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually we could stop this virus in about two weeks. If everyone stayed away from everyone else for that two weeks across the world. Hardly practical mind you. :D

Exactly, the best contribution you can make to society now is to do nothing. If we think of all the times people are asked to do things to contribute to society for the greater good and all we are being asked to do is stay home and do nothing and yet people still cannot manage to do this and need to go to the park and take a picture of the duck and post it of twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

Exactly, the best contribution you can make to society now is to do nothing. If we think of all the times people are asked to do things to contribute to society for the greater good and all we are being asked to do is stay home and do nothing and yet people still cannot manage to do this and need to go to the park and take a picture of the duck and post it of twitter.

What about a woman who is suffering consistent verbal and physical abuse at home? According to your logic she shouldn't go for a walk to have a breather from her now unbearable and horrendous daily life.

This is why people still cannot talk about mental health.

Everybody is talking about mental health.

richie_os wrote: »
    What about a woman who is suffering consistent verbal and physical abuse at home? According to your logic she shouldn't go for a walk to have a breather from her now unbearable and horrendous daily life.

What about ever other marginal case. Should we just do away with the lock down?

Mellor wrote: »
    If people are sticking to a 2km limit, they'll need the car less and will walk more. So there will be more pedestrian traffic.

But I'm curious how you've see all these people walking the dog, or getting coffee if you're staying indoors. :rolleyes:

They're called windows.

OP comes across the type of person that if around in 1920 would’ve tattled to the tans. “He’s in there!”

As long as people are adhering to social distancing guidelines of 2 metres and thorough hand washing, the chances of contracting Covid-19 are nil.

Thank you Doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭richie_os

What about ever other marginal case. Should we just do away with the lock down?

What about every other marginal case is right? Something you're not considering whatsoever with your blanket statements.

To your second question, no, we shouldn't do away with the lockdown. Because it's working. And people going outside for brief physical exercise falls within the instructions of the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

People can scold others all they want but the simple fact is we all aren't staying in this complete lockdown until we have a vaccine. We aren't going to stop transmission but we are attempting to flatten the curve. Once that's under control we are going to lift some of the current restrictions. This lockdown as it is isn't that sustainable for much longer.

Some people are going to have to take much more serious precautions for the next 2 years until we have a vaccine and herd immunity. We aren't going to ban social gatherings nevermind walking until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

OP comes across the type of person that if around in 1920 would’ve tattled to the tans. “He’s in there!”

As long as people are adhering to social distancing guidelines of 2 metres and thorough hand washing, the chances of contracting Covid-19 are nil.

So. Fuccking. Many. of them about.

I was polite polite engaging with this previously, but I'm more inclined now to just call it out now.

Use your fuccking brain for a few minutes, COVID is not going to get you the second you step outside your house, nor when you pass someone outside.

Wash hands, maintain distance, and beyond that accept that this is beyond your control.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I have a question that I asked in another thread but got no answer. I have an unoccupied second property that is a considerable distance from my residence. I need to check it and also need to cut the grass. It is not a holiday home. I would travel to it alone and would interact with nobody (and would have a lawnmower in the car)

Is this a "reasonable excuse" for being on the road?

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I have a question that I asked in another thread but got no answer. I have an unoccupied second property that is a considerable distance from my residence. I need to check it and also need to cut the grass. It is not a holiday home. I would travel to it alone and would interact with nobody (and would have a lawnmower in the car)

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Absolutely not. You have no business being on the road.

shocksy wrote: »
    You sound very confident. Could you give me an example of what would be a "reasonable excuse" (clause 1 below) for being on the road outside of those excuses specifically mentioned in the regulations (clause 2 below)
    Restriction of movement of applicable persons

4. (1) An applicable person shall not leave his or her place of residence
    without reasonable excuse.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes a reasonable
    excuse for the purposes of paragraph (1), such reasonable excuse includes an
    applicable person leaving his or her place of residence (in this paragraph referred
    to as the “relevant residence”) to -
    (a) provide, or assist in the provision of, an essential service, whether
    for remuneration or not,
    (b) go to an essential retail outlet for the purpose of obtaining items
    (including food, beverages, fuel, medicinal products, medical
    devices or appliances, other medical or health supplies or
    products, essential items for the health and welfare of animals, or
    supplies for the essential upkeep and functioning of the relevant
    residence), or accessing services provided in the outlet, for the
    4 [121]
    applicable person or any other person residing in the relevant
    residence,
    (c) go to an essential retail outlet for the purpose of obtaining items
    (including food, beverages, fuel, medicinal products, medical
    devices or appliances, other medical or health supplies or
    products, essential items for the health and welfare of animals, or
    supplies for the essential upkeep and functioning of the place of
    residence of a vulnerable person), or accessing services provided
    in the outlet, for a vulnerable person,
    (d) obtain money for -
    (i) the applicable person,
    (ii) any other person residing in the relevant residence, or
    (iii) a vulnerable person,
    (e) attend a medical appointment or accompany, to a medical
    appointment, any other person residing in the relevant residence
    or a vulnerable person,
    (f) seek essential medical, health or emergency dental assistance for -
    (i) the applicable person,
    (ii) any other person residing in the relevant residence, or
    (iii) a vulnerable person,
    (g) donate blood or accompany any other person residing in the
    relevant residence to donate blood,
    (h) seek veterinary assistance,
    (i) exercise, either alone or with other persons residing in the
    relevant residence, within a 2 kilometre radius of that residence,
    (j) attend to vital family matters (including to provide care to
    vulnerable persons),
    (k) attend the funeral of -
    (i) another person who resided in the relevant residence before
    his or her death, or
    (ii) a close family member of the applicable person,
    (l) fulfil a legal obligation (including attending court, satisfying bail
    conditions, or participating in ongoing legal proceedings), attend
    a court office where required, initiate emergency legal
    proceedings or execute essential legal documents,
    (m) access an essential service, or assist any other person residing in
    the relevant residence or a vulnerable person to access an essential
    service, where the access is immediately required and the
    applicable person, other person residing in the relevant residence
    or vulnerable person, as the case may be, cannot access the
    service concerned from the person’s place of residence,
    [121] 5
    (n) if the applicable person is a parent or guardian of a child, or a
    person having a right of access to a child, give effect to
    arrangements for access to the child by -
    (i) the applicable person, or
    (ii) another person who is -
    (I) a parent or guardian of the child, or
    (II) a person having a right of access to the child,
    (o) in the case of a minister of religion or priest (or any equivalent
    thereof in any religion) -
    (i) lead worship or services remotely through the use of
    information and communications technology,
    (ii) minister to the sick, or
    (iii) conduct funeral services,
    (p) move to another residence where, in all the circumstances of the
    case, such movement is reasonably necessary, or
    (q) provide emergency assistance, avoid injury or illness, or escape a
    risk of harm, whether to the applicable person or another person.

You: Hi guard, I want to cut the grass in my second house.

Guard: Turn the f*ck around. That's hardly a priority.

Theres no difference with people not being able to check on a holiday home. Its non essential travel. Simple as. You can copy and paste all you want. It's non essential travel simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

My case is similar except I have to travel 2.5 km to feed an animal.
    I have to travel 2.1 km to drop food at my mothers and I have to travel back 4km to mind my child while the mother is doing her third level exams , thesis writing and presentations from home over the internet.
    This is all about 35 minutes by bicycle to cover it all and i only go out every 2 days. Yet I feel guilty every time I head out.
    At some point will I need to try prove why I'm out ?

You: Hi guard, I want to cut the grass in my second house.

Guard: Turn the **** around. That's hardly a priority.

Theres no difference to people not being able to check on a holiday home. Its non essential travel. Simple as. You can copy and paste all you want. It's non essential travel simple as.
    So you can't provide me with an example of what would be a reasonable excuse then.

Copy and paste all I want? Those are the regulations, you might learn something if you read them. There is clearly discretion allowed for in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

yet people still cannot manage to do this and need to go to the park and take a picture of the duck and post it of twitter.
    This does not end in 2 weeks. This ends when we get a vaccine, which is a minimum of 18 months and possibly longer.

The idea that we simply do nothing for 2 weeks, and then emerge back to normality is incredibly naive.

The government are taking the correct approach here by trying to minimise contact, but encouraging us to continue to exercise. Some people might be happy to sit on their behinds for 2 years slowly getting more and more unfit, but the vast majority of people in this country will want to look after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

richie_os wrote: »
    I understand the reasons you are worried, and it must be a very trying time for you as a result. I would just suggest that you dont let the hysteria get in on you, boards isn't a good place for that. It has been confirmed the world over that you can't catch this virus from people walking, running past you. It is transmitted from surfaces, spending 15 minutes in close proximity to people who are infected, or cough/sneeze droplets. Even if someone going past you were to brush off you, you wouldn't be infected.

Try not to worry. Easier said than done, I know. But you also need to be able to leave your house and feel some degree of comfort. Don't let the hysteria win.

Being within 2 meters of someone who is infected for 15 means you are at high risk of infection. People who are "close contacts" are given priority for testing, which is because we have a limited number of testing kits and facilities. It doesn't mean that other interactions with someone who is infected are zero risk.

You can catch it by inhaling one droplet. Someone panting heavily can expel enough small droplets to infect you. Granted someone who is going out jogging is not likely to be very ill, and you'd receive a fairly low viral load which improves your prognosis somewhat. But still...

This is why we have personal distancing rules in public places, which are generally not being adhered to.

So you can't provide me with an example of what would be a reasonable excuse then.

Copy and paste all I want? Those are the regulations, you might learn something if you read them. There is clearly discretion allowed for in there.

I've given you my answer, just cause you don't like it I'm not going to go trawling through the regulations for you.

It's quite simple. But unfortunately you just don't get it. Driving to another house is not deemed essential and has been already advised against by the government and the guards. There is no get of of jail card cause you want to cut the grass. Yours isn't a situation were discretion could be given. Cop on to yourself and stay the f*ck home like you've been asked too.

I have to travel 2.1 km to drop food at my mothers and I have to travel back 4km to mind my child while the mother is doing her third level exams , thesis writing and presentations from home over the internet.
    This is all about 35 minutes by bicycle to cover it all and i only go out every 2 days. Yet I feel guilty every time I head out.

If restrictions were to increase further yes there is a chance people would be asked to provide proof to gardai. Unlikely to happen but still possible if things don't start to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Everything you have listed there sounds essential, I'd be surprised is a garda pressed it further, why feel guilty about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Had a persistent dry cough at the weekend. Gone now, but to be safe I don't want eithe myself or the bf spending an hour in a supermarket next weekend. I ordered next weekend's shop as click and collect, but it's the other side of city. Absolutely zero delivery slots available.

I presume I'm okay to go drive my bf to collect the shopping? He didn't cough at all so sending him in to collect it. Minimises interaction, and none of the shops nearer to us had any collection slots available.

Had a persistent dry cough at the weekend. Gone now, but to be safe I don't want eithe myself or the bf spending an hour in a supermarket next weekend. I ordered next weekend's shop as click and collect, but it's the other side of city. Absolutely zero delivery slots available.

I presume I'm okay to go drive my bf to collect the shopping? He didn't cough at all so sending him in to collect it. Minimises interaction, and none of the shops nearer to us had any collection slots available.

No, he should be self isolating too.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

No, he should be self isolating too.

Will be more than 5 days since symptoms

Will be more than 5 days since symptoms

come on you know the answer already !
    Sort something else out or you risk infecting/killing someone else.
    It's 14 days for a reason, but it's your choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Could a family member collect it for you?
    It's risky, likely one or both of you still contagious.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement