Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

come on you know the answer already !
    Sort something else out or you risk infecting/killing someone else.
    It's 14 days for a reason, but it's your choice

I was referring to travelling the distance. Lets say I get a cocooning parent to put themselves at risk cos i coughed last Saturday and haven't coughed since. Are THEY permitted to cross the city?

And what else can I do? There are NO delivery slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I was referring to travelling the distance. Lets say I get a cocooning parent to put themselves at risk cos i coughed last Saturday and haven't coughed since. Are THEY permitted to cross the city?

And what else can I do? There are NO delivery slots.

Do you have any friends, cousins, work colleagues who you know well enough to ask? It’s not like you’re asking anyone to brave Tesco for you, it’s just a case of collect it, put it in the boot of their car and leave it on your step

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

My case is similar except I have to travel 2.5 km to feed an animal.
    I have to travel 2.1 km to drop food at my mothers and I have to travel back 4km to mind my child while the mother is doing her third level exams , thesis writing and presentations from home over the internet.
    This is all about 35 minutes by bicycle to cover it all and i only go out every 2 days. Yet I feel guilty every time I head out.
    At some point will I need to try prove why I'm out ?

As posted elsewhere:
    the 2km only applies to exercise
    if your business is essential the 2km does not apply
    if your business is non essential the 2km is not a waiver

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Keplar240B wrote: »
    The runners are wrecking my head , huffing and puffing and spewing virus everywhere , It should be banned. They are everywhere.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-particles-another-runner-could-21837698

Coronavirus particles from jogger 'could infect you even if six feet away'
    Tech company Ansys created a simulation to show the dangers of running behind someone as infected droplets from a cough or sneeze could hang in the air and travel up to six feet away

• Registered Users Posts: 13 anon2323

Are any hardware stores open? Know it's a bit late to the game but would really like to pick up some paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Had a persistent dry cough at the weekend. Gone now, but to be safe I don't want eithe myself or the bf spending an hour in a supermarket next weekend. I ordered next weekend's shop as click and collect, but it's the other side of city. Absolutely zero delivery slots available.

I presume I'm okay to go drive my bf to collect the shopping? He didn't cough at all so sending him in to collect it. Minimises interaction, and none of the shops nearer to us had any collection slots available.

Seriously?

anon2323 wrote: »
    Are any hardware stores open? Know it's a bit late to the game but would really like to pick up some paint.

Essential painting is it :rolleyes:

Keplar240B wrote: »
    The runners are wrecking my head , huffing and puffing and spewing virus everywhere , It should be banned. They are everywhere.

It's getting ridiculous i believe during the day. I walk the dog every morning at 7am to avoid them but even then they are everywhere iv'e never seen so many unfit people in my life it's like a plague. It's banned in a lot of countries on public footpaths would really like to see it come into effect here. Surely they can find a field to run aorund whilst they are sweating and couching?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How long can the isolation of older people be kept up? Families will only take it for so long surely

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gael23 wrote: »
    How long can the isolation of older people be kept up? Families will only take it for so long surely

For as long as it is necessary to keep those older people safe and in some cases alive?
    Would families rather have funerals they can’t attend ?
    Jesus it’s only been a few weeks

I am extremely worried the restrictions will be lifted too early and we will be fecked altogether of a second wave hits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

How long can the isolation of society be kept up ?

Look at the statistics - this disease primarily kills the elderly , average age is about 80 - society is in lockdown primaily to protect them and immuno suppressed, they need to be cocooned long term, to enable some of society to return to life , and when it is relativly safe they too can also return - this is been done to protect them, not punish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

thebaz wrote: »

Look at the statistics - this disease primarily kills the elderly , average age is about 80 - society is in lockdown primaily to protect them and immuno suppressed, they need to be cocooned long term, to enable some of society to return to life , and when it is relativly safe they too can also return - this is been done to protect them, not punish them.

There comes a point where the social and psychological aspects outweigh the benefit. There are many fit and reasonably healthy people in that age group that are already suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

There comes a point where the social and psychological aspects outweigh the benefit. There are many fit and reasonably healthy people in that age group that are already suffering

and what about the social and psychological aspects of the young and healthy - most are playing ther part to help the vulnerable - which are the elderly and immuno-suppressed - again, I ask you look at the statistics of those that Covid is killing - average age is around 80 - Thats just a fact, so it is only right they are cocooned until it is safe for them to return, otherwise the death rate will just soar.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Look it's pretty clear you have decided what to do already so why ask the question here.
    Clearly you have no regard for anyone but yourself.
    Rearranging shopping or paying for someone to collect it is not a life or death situation or an insurmountable task.

Doh! Just realised I had misread the restrictions. Thought it was 14 days in isolation with 5 fever free (which I already am, never had fever, just cough one day, haven't been out for two weeks), didn't realise the 14 days started the day you have a symptom, not the last day you were out of the house. My bad.

Right, people of boards. How the fcuk do I get fed? (Btw, if you really want selfish, talk to the people hogging home delivery slots who don't need them... )

Here's the situation. I don't have friends who can collect it. They all went home-home when the initial social distancing came in. Both sets of parents are vulnerable, only sibling lives in the UK. Last weekend when I ordered for this coming weekend, none of the supermarkets had delivery slots free. Literally nothing until the 23rd and we just don't have enough food to get through to then. The only click and collect slot for this weekend was other side of the city. I've paid for food, I just need to get it. So, someone must have some idea - how do we eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Reminds me of what was said about the smoking ban... Not sure if it is technically law but many people will respect laws that they are totally opposed to.
    So, someone must have some idea - how do we eat?
    Check facebook and other social media, as I presume has already been said before. There are lots of people offering to help, check local TDs/concillors, any local groups. I see gardai delivering to old folks on twitter, loads of people are out there read to help.

You are hardly going to starve, my parents are cocooning and were delighted to hear bombay pantry are still doing deliveries with zero contact. You might have other places ready to deliver, or are you in a very remote area? You say the word "city" so I guess you are likely to find help.

There are regional forums on this very site which would be of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

There are local community groups set up all over the place, people are very kind, someone will help you out. I’m a complete internet stranger, and I’d help you out if I lived in Dublin. You could ring your local Garda station and ask if they have any contacts.
    You could ring a taxi company and ask them to pick it up, but since I live in the sticks, I’ve no idea of distances/costs involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's getting ridiculous i believe during the day. I walk the dog every morning at 7am to avoid them but even then they are everywhere iv'e never seen so many unfit people in my life it's like a plague. It's banned in a lot of countries on public footpaths would really like to see it come into effect here. Surely they can find a field to run aorund whilst they are sweating and couching?

So basically you want the streets to be quiet so you can walk your dog in peace? Can you see the irony in this?

Surely you could find a field to walk your dog if it bothers you that much?

They are there because of the 2KM rule. Get over yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

thebaz wrote: »

The big question is how many would have died from the normal flu instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

The big question is how many would have died from the normal flu instead.

Well at the moment its at 4% death rate here in Ireland. The normal flu its 0.1% death rate.

Do the math there.

The worst years in Ireland around 400 die from Flu, we have 6574 cases and 263 deaths so far of Coronavirus.

So people please stop comparing it with the normal flu.

If every single person in Ireland got Coronavirus going on recent stats around 200,000 would die.

If every single person in Ireland got the season flu around 5,000 would die.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Outweigh the benefit...of not dying?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

Well at the moment its at 4% death rate here in Ireland. The normal flu its 0.1% death rate.

Do the math there.

The worst years in Ireland around 400 die from Flu, we have 6574 cases and 263 deaths so far of Coronavirus.

So people please stop comparing it with the normal flu.

If every single person in Ireland got Coronavirus going on recent stats around 200,000 would die.

If every single person in Ireland got the season flu around 5,000 would die.

That's a load of balls. The death rate for Covid-19 is far, far lower because the number of people who have or have had the virus is vastly more than the confirmed cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

moonage wrote: »
    That's a load of balls. The death rate for Covid-19 is far, far lower because the number of people who have or have had the virus is vastly more than the confirmed cases.

The actual numbers aren't a load of balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

moonage wrote: »

Won't know that unless everyone is tested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Adding this here - apologies if wrong location or better in another spot - mods feel free to move.

Had heard about below, only one paper reported on it.
    Wondering if there are legal reasons or other why our Government hasnt stopped non commercial traffic coming via airports and ferrys into Ireland yet given where we are all at across Europe and restrictions imposed on our movement within this country.
    Garda have been empowered by the recent signing to fine or imprison people travelling unnecessarily more than 2km but our borders appear open to holiday makers.

Commercial traffic ? absolutely. With the usual precautions ala foot and mouth but holiday makers ? The Garda reference in the article said 'its up to the goveernment' paraphrasing

https://extra.ie/2020/04/10/news/irish-news/ferry-passengers-lockdown-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

OP comes across the type of person that if around in 1920 would’ve tattled to the tans. “He’s in there!”

As long as people are adhering to social distancing guidelines of 2 metres and thorough hand washing, the chances of contracting Covid-19 are nil.
    So. Fuccking. Many. of them about.

I was polite polite engaging with this previously, but I'm more inclined now to just call it out now.

Use your fuccking brain for a few minutes, COVID is not going to get you the second you step outside your house, nor when you pass someone outside.

Wash hands, maintain distance, and beyond that accept that this is beyond your control.

Actually it's the opposite. People going out in the park are the me feiners who have no regard for the rest of society pulling together and staying indoors because they "need their walk for their mental health" and they're also uneducated on the subject because the think that by keeping distance you have "zero chance" of contracting covid. Keeping your distance is not the only issue and is just guidance for best practice that if you do need to go outside then keep your distance, it doesn't mean that it's ok to go outside as long as you maintain social distancing or give you carte blanche to swan around as long as you stay outside 2 metres. It's touching something, stepping on something, touching a surface, sneezing on a surface and the more people who are out the higher the risk of the virus spreading. It's the jogger who is out running who coughs on their hand and touches a light a pedestrian crossing, it's someone opening a door in a shop, these are simple statements of fact but the lumpen clowns on this thread who need their walk think that "once I'm ok and I keep my distance then it's grand" are the reason why the rest of society is being punished for their selfish behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarah491

Just wondering if a call centre looking at billing queries is an essential service (not technical or selling phones etc.). The employer shut down with the restrictions announced 2 weeks ago but have now today sent correspondence that 400 people have to go to the office on Monday as they are a strategic partner of a non Irish mobile company and therefore an essential service. The people sit quiet close to each other, hot desk(no one has their own desk) and for security reasons have to open several doors on the premisses. I don’t understand what has changed this position to now become an essential service but were not essential yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Sarah491 wrote: »
    Just wondering if a call centre looking at billing queries is an essential service (not technical or selling phones etc.). The employer shut down with the restrictions announced 2 weeks ago but have now today sent correspondence that 400 people have to go to the office on Monday as they are a strategic partner of a non Irish mobile company and therefore an essential service. The people sit quiet close to each other, hot desk(no one has their own desk) and for security reasons have to open several doors on the premisses. I don’t understand what has changed this position to now become an essential service but were not essential yesterday.

Why don't you ask the person that informed you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarah491

Poorside wrote: »
    Why don't you ask the person that informed you about it.

We don’t know and trying to find out. Email sent to all employees today and no response to follow up queries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Not an essential service.

Advertisement