Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

kenmm wrote: »
    Brilliant idea - I am going to cycle 2km (i.e. commute to my exercise location) so that I can widen the radius of my cycle meaning if I get stopped at any point I will be either 2km from my location start or my home!

Or at least have a nicer location.

You're inferring a second 2km radius.

Thanks for not helping though.

I hope they’re joking. If not then I hope someone pushes them into the ditch off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Can you drive to a place of exercise within 2km of your home?
    And then stay within that 2km radius while you exercise.

I would say, "No." Could you expand on the reasoning?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    I would say, "No." Could you expand on the reasoning?

We've a little one. Parks/open spaces are much easier to manage with her and avoid other people, rather than foot paths (which she gets bored of quickly and thus not much exercise).

I couldn't find anything online that definitely gave me a no answer. In fact, there's a park nearby which is signposted as car access only, no pedestrian access which has remained open. It's even manned by park rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Sorry - I thought you spoke fluent sarcasm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vodkacz

Hi lads. Not sure whether this issue been mentioned before. I just have a question regarding train travel atm. I need to collect 2 kittens from Dublin next week, I'm based in Killarney. Paid deposit already (they are purebred cats). Would anyone have any knowledge regarding Garda enforcement at Dublin Heuston Station? Any commuters here on daily basis? What's the situation in trains? Are we still allowed to use this transport? Thanks in advance.

I hope they’re joking. If not then I hope someone pushes them into the ditch off the bike.

Of course I am - it was meant as a joke to what I obviously thought was a joke RE making an unnecessary journey to exercise. Based on the posters own comment about being the sarcastic type!

EDIT: And being stuck in the city centre - I'd love if there was a ditch nearby to cycle alongside - out in the country somewhere - one day!

Of course I am - it was meant as a joke to what I obviously thought was a joke RE making an unnecessary journey to exercise. Based on the posters own comment about being the sarcastic type!

Nothing in my post suggested I'm being sarcastic. I'm also not black, nor a knight. But you're doing a fine Ken M impression.

We've a little one. Parks/open spaces are much easier to manage with her and avoid other people, rather than foot paths (which she gets bored of quickly and thus not much exercise).

I couldn't find anything online that definitely gave me a no answer. In fact, there's a park nearby which is signposted as car access only, no pedestrian access which has remained open. It's even manned by park rangers.

Serious answer: Everyone has to make their own minds up. To me its an unnecessary journey.

Everyone is bored of 2km, everyone who normally exercises is getting less exercise than usual, parents are probably going even more demented that those without young kids, especially those in small spaces. But it would still, in my mind, be an unnecessary trip.

You could probably do it anyway and suffer no actual consequences other than your own conscious. But if everyone done this, the roads would be a lot busier.

If you absolutely must do it, can you combo it with a necessary trip - i.e. as a once off on the way back from your weekly shopping (I don't know how practical this is - i.e. are there two adults, multiple kids etc).

Nothing in my post suggested I'm being sarcastic. I'm also not black, nor a knight. But you're doing a fine Ken M impression.

look - no offence meant ok? - I read your bio beside the user name and tried to be funny - I thought it would be obvious but it wasn't. If you advertise yourself as sarcastic and post a question such as that, you've got to realise there might be a chance its taken that way?

Regardless I am apologising as I din't mean offence at all.

The Ken M reference is lost on me.

EDIT - Googled Ken M - no - I am rarely trolling - I normally try to post as balanced as possible without offence. Probably the opposite of trolling actually - just sometimes my sense of humour is crap. I would say especially during these times we should try a little harder to understand each other. My default isn't to attack someone randomly on Boards or anywhere.

• Advertisement

Serious answer: Everyone has to make their own minds up. To me its an unnecessary journey.

Everyone is bored of 2km, everyone who normally exercises is getting less exercise than usual, parents are probably going even more demented that those without young kids, especially those in small spaces. But it would still, in my mind, be an unnecessary trip.

You could probably do it anyway and suffer no actual consequences other than your own conscious. But if everyone done this, the roads would be a lot busier.

If you absolutely must do it, can you combo it with a necessary trip - i.e. as a once off on the way back from your weekly shopping (I don't know how practical this is - i.e. are there two adults, multiple kids etc).

Thanks. Roads are definitely quieter, though the lack of people going to work and shops being closed contributes to that.

We get out for a walk every day (we've no garden) and about half the time we walk from our front door. The other half we drive about 3 minutes to some open space. We actually encounter less people when we drive than when we walk from our door.

Only negative I can see if our drive is the optics of an extra car on the road.

Thanks. Roads are definitely quieter, though the lack of people going to work and shops being closed contributes to that.

We get out for a walk every day (we've no garden) and about half the time we walk from our front door. The other half we drive about 3 minutes to some open space. We actually encounter less people when we drive than when we walk from our door.

Only negative I can see if our drive is the optics of an extra car on the road.

Not that it matters, but in my opinion the 2km rule is quite clumsy. I am assuming it was brought in because people simply couldn't be trusted not to drive far and wide to Glendalough, Pheonix park, sugar loaf, ring of Kerry, whereverthefu(k for their exercise.

But as with many rules brought in quickly, it has had some unintended consequences - for example I am right in the middle of the city centre, surrounded by lots of apartments and the 2km radius is jam packed most of the day - its very difficult to find a time slot that isnt crowded (except at 6am, or Fri/Sat night when people are at home drinking etc)

Personally - I dont think me doing a weekly early morning cycle - travelling way out the city (not as far as normal, but still 20 or so KM) would be less risky if all precautions were taken - that for me would mean:

- If I see a walker on the road, slow to a dead crawl, over take and not speed up again until I was 10-20meters in front.
    - Keep well away from other people on bikes.
    - Keep enough supplies to not stop anywhere.
    - Realise it would be a privilege to be outside, relatively healthy and not go gung ho trying to set new speed records or take unnecessary risks that would require (for example) a fall and an ambulance.

My hunch is that this would mean less people milling around in the 2km where I live and would actually make this a bit more tolerable for all.

BUT - if this was allowed, people would abuse it AND the increase in cycle traffic may prove too much. People wouldn't give the correct space (which I reckon is way more than 2m if exercising) and it could also be a disaster.

In your case, similar logic could be applied - a short occasional drive to find more space may seem ok. Roads are definitely quieter as well - but if everyone done it, the roads wouldn't be as quiet and the place you are driving to would be busier..

It's an unusual situation we are in and I imagine its quite hard to model.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

vodkacz wrote: »
    Hi lads. Not sure whether this issue been mentioned before. I just have a question regarding train travel atm. I need to collect 2 kittens from Dublin next week, I'm based in Killarney. Paid deposit already (they are purebred cats). Would anyone have any knowledge regarding Garda enforcement at Dublin Heuston Station? Any commuters here on daily basis? What's the situation in trains? Are we still allowed to use this transport? Thanks in advance.

Collecting kittens is not essential travel. You want to collect them, it is not a need. A bit like landlords not being able to evict tenants. This breeder cannot force you to collect the kittens.

Here is the legislation. Purchase/collection of animals is not mentioned as an exception to the "stay at home" law. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/121/made/en/print#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

The 2km rule was brought in to create manageable outbreak bubbles. If you have an outbreak in a particular area, it can be contained in that 2km radius much more easily and you weren’t getting one bubble infecting the next.

The reality is that it’s more likely the “bubble” is actually where people are congregating, which in Ireland basically means the network of people who use a particular supermarket. So realistically I think even in urban areas, we’ve got it down to maybe 5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

GinSoaked wrote: »
    I think you are reading that the wrong way. Horticultural production isn't doing someones garden. You aren't producing anything by cutting someone elses lawn.

No mention of production in the Act & Horticulture is defined as:

The art or practice of garden cultivation and management.

Cutting a lawn is management & essential for the healthy growth of the grass.
    Plus the major criteria is complying with social distancing which can be easily achieved.

The link I gave is to one Landscaping Association & is their interpretation for their members. One of my clients is a Solicitor & I asked him to read through the Act. He agrees with me.

Caranica wrote: »
    Collecting kittens is not essential travel. You want to collect them, it is not a need. A bit like landlords not being able to evict tenants. This breeder cannot force you to collect the kittens.

Here is the legislation. Purchase/collection of animals is not mentioned as an exception to the "stay at home" law. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/121/made/en/print#

Care of animals is specifically mentioned including trips to Vets etc.

Discodog wrote: »
    Care of animals is specifically mentioned including trips to Vets etc.

There was nothing to suggest from the post that these cats are in any medical danger.

There was nothing to suggest from the post that these cats are in any medical danger.

Care doesn't imply medical danger. The measures ensure the care & well being of animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

No mention of production in the Act & Horticulture is defined as:

The art or practice of garden cultivation and management.

Cutting a lawn is management & essential for the healthy growth of the grass.
    Plus the major criteria is complying with social distancing which can be easily achieved.

The link I gave is to one Landscaping Association & is their interpretation for their members. One of my clients is a Solicitor & I asked him to read through the Act. He agrees with me.

No your making it up to suit yourself. Its not Horticulture on its own its Horticultural Production. If you cut grass your not involved in Horticultural Production.

In this case I think the definition of Horticulture attributed to Dorothy Parker is probably true 'You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think'.

Care doesn't imply medical danger. The measures ensure the care & well being of animals.

Care also does not imply sale. There is no mention of sale. The poster has paid a deposit so it is a sales transaction. Killarney to Dublin is a mental trip in these times unless for medical reasons.

• Advertisement

GinSoaked wrote: »
    No your making it up to suit yourself. Its not Horticulture on its own its Horticultural Production. If you cut grass your not involved in Horticultural Production.

In this case I think the definition of Horticulture attributed to Dorothy Parker is probably true 'You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think'.

From the Act - show me where it defines Horticulture as Production:

Agriculture, horticulture, forestry, fishing, animal welfare and related services 1. The following services relating to agriculture, horticulture, forestry, fishing, animal welfare and related services: (a) farming; (b) farm labour; (c) farm relief services; (d) crop and animal production; (e) fishing for commercial purposes; (f) aquaculture and fish farming; (g) horticulture; (h) forestry; (i) veterinary, animal welfare and related services; (j) the provision of support services relating to any of the services specified in subparagraphs (a) to (i) (including artificial insemination and animal disposal).

There is also this relating to Garden Centres:

10. Hardware outlets, builders’ merchants and outlets that provide, whether on a retail or wholesale basis - (a) hardware products necessary for home and business maintenance, (b) sanitation and farm equipment, or (c) supplies and tools essential for gardening, farming or agriculture purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vodkacz

Caranica wrote: »
    Care also does not imply sale. There is no mention of sale. The poster has paid a deposit so it is a sales transaction. Killarney to Dublin is a mental trip in these times unless for medical reasons.

Lads thanks for the info. Yet nobody has answered any of my questions regarding Gardai presence at Dublin Heuston train station or current travelling measures inside the trains. Do Guards inspect every passenger after disembarking the train? Do they ask questions regarding purpose of your travel, etc.??

Lads thanks for the info. Yet nobody has answered any of my questions regarding Gardai presence at Dublin Heuston train station or current travelling measures inside the trains. Do Guards inspect every passenger after disembarking the train? Do they ask questions regarding purpose of your travel, etc.??

The travel you are enquiring about is illegal. That is all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Just ask them man to hold onto the kittens and collect them in a few weeks.
    Use common sense and stop waiting for the answer you want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

You're seriously asking about the likelihood of being caught?

The fact you’re asking shows that you know and understand it’s something you shouldn’t be doing, so why not just not do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

My wife is working in the health sector and I've been off work unpaid minding 3 children since st Patrick's Day. We let go of our childminder, paying her two weeks severance and also paid her for the St Patrick's week. So basically, three weeks pay and a few other days holidays she hadn't worked, about a month in all.
    A lot of after tax money.

I am a contractor and haven't been paid since st Patrick's Day. I believed it was the best thing in the national interest and for my colleagues as my wife is frontline staff and at higher risk and in particular a close colleague is living with a vulnerable person.

Anyway, that's some of the background. My question. If social distancing is required in the workplace, can we employ a childminder? We have a child that needs nappy changes so social distancing would not be possible.

Anyone know if I'll be a stay at home dad forevermore?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What’s the impact of long term social distancing going to be? Can we see our family again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

As of a couple of days ago, there were over 4500 cases of covid in Dublin, and 170 in Kerry. It’s fairly easy to figure out why people aren’t answering your questions, it’s madness for anyone to travel from Kerry to Dublin at the moment, unless maybe you need open heart surgery or something else you can’t get it Kerry. Public transport is for essential travel only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I presume it'll be ok to go on holidays at the start of next month? I asked Ryanair and they said the flights are still going ahead. It'll be great to get away from this **** for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,305 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Every takeaway I've had the last few times tasted unreal

Possibly the oil is not being used as much

Advertisement