Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

GazzaL wrote: »
    I presume it'll be ok to go on holidays at the start of next month? I asked Ryanair and they said the flights are still going ahead. It'll be great to get away from this **** for a week.

You haven’t a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

I presume it'll be ok to go on holidays at the start of next month? I asked Ryanair and they said the flights are still going ahead. It'll be great to get away from this **** for a week.

Good man, you work away...

lets hope there's no wifi when you get there....

when..

if...

never...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Really?!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Where would you be going? some lifting of restriction in Spain does not mean bars and restaurants?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

Well unless our restrictions are lifted which now run until early may how early next month are you talking about as I dont think travelling to airport to go on holiday would qualify as an essential journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

mariaalice wrote: »
    Where would you be going? some lifting of restriction in Spain does not mean bars and restaurants?

Budapest. I booked a 5 star hotel so if I have to eat there I don't mind too much. I won't say much more, I'm already after getting a warning because people took offense to my first post. There's loads of people on the flight, you can see from where people have reserved seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Every takeaway I've had the last few times tasted unreal

Possibly the oil is not being used as much

Very likely the food in takeaways being used has been stored in freezers for months and they're just using that old stock now.

Just an FYI on that whether you don't mind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,931 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Budapest. I booked a 5 star hotel so if I have to eat there I don't mind too much. I won't say much more, I'm already after getting a warning because people took offense to my first post. There's loads of people on the flight, you can see from where people have reserved seats.

You do realise this is a global pandemic right? There is Covid 19 in Budapest also. 10 dead yesterday for example. Just stay at home FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Every takeaway I've had the last few times tasted unreal

Possibly the oil is not being used as much
    Unreal good or unreal bad?

I haven't succumbed to the temptation for rubbish food so far, but I can feel it coming.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Quazzie wrote: »
    You do realise this is a global pandemic right? There is Covid 19 in Budapest also. 10 dead yesterday for example. Just stay at home FFS

I assume it’s a wind up. But I actually googled it a while ago and only Hungarians are allowed into Hungary, so I don’t think it would be an issue, even if it’s not a joke

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    jlm29 wrote: »
    I assume it’s a wind up. But I actually googled it a while ago and only Hungarians are allowed into Hungary, so I don’t think it would be an issue, even if it’s not a joke

I have it booked and the flight is still going FFS. Do you want my transcript from my chat with Ryanair or what? Where did you see that only Hungarians are allowed into Hungary? I'll contact Viktor as well if I have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I have it booked and the flight is still going FFS. Do you want my transcript from my chat with Ryanair or what? Where did you see that only Hungarians are allowed into Hungary? I'll contact Viktor as well if I have to.

Ok, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you are not trolling..

If you think you are able to go on holiday (regardless of Ryanairs advice) then I think you are in for a shock.
    If you think its acceptable, then you are being quite irresponsible.

Some flights probably will be running as some people will need to travel (gt back home, see family etc).

The concept of a holiday, in Europe at the start of May is extremely unlikely. Further you will probably risk your money as the flight probably wont get cancelled, but the hotel may be ordered closed. Especially as Hungary has no where near peaked with this.

If you are trolling.. then, well done - its a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Have a great trip.
    https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/hungary/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Would gardai even let you in the airport? I heard of someone who supposedly had to go along knowing the flight would be cancelled, seemingly the only way to get the money back.

There are 2 gardai on the road outside my local tesco checking cars so thought the airport would be an obviously place to catch people doing non essential journeys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

Since they are spreading the virus by going on non essential journeys, do you think it is appropriate to send them to court with mass murder/harm charges or manslaughter charges at the minimum.
    I think that would be fair because as a result countless innocents die as a direct action of unnecessary journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

More severe than just turning people round and sending the home? I'm open to the idea.

On trial for mass murder? Please tell me you are joking.

Bad news everyone, my flight has been cancelled. It might be a case of holidaying in Killarney, although it looks like the Amsterdam flights are still going, that would be a decent trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ohio9 wrote: »
    Since they are spreading the virus by going on non essential journeys, do you think it is appropriate to send them to court with mass murder/harm charges or manslaughter charges at the minimum.
    I think that would be fair because as a result countless innocents die as a direct action of unnecessary journeys.

Are you for real?

Bad news everyone, my flight has been cancelled. It might be a case of holidaying in Killarney, although it looks like the Amsterdam flights are still going, that would be a decent trip.

lol - keep em coming GazzaL - don't forget to post some pics of the holiday!

kenmm wrote: »
    lol - keep em coming GazzaL - don't forget to post some pics of the holiday!

I'll keep ye updated. No point in being a misery guts about flights being cancelled, one plane door closes and another one opens as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭The Darkroom

Hi, I'm a person living in Dundalk, buying a dog from a police man in Cahir Tipperary. He explained it would be ok to pick up the dog and it's considered essential travel.

We called the local Garda station. She picked up the phone and said it's not considered essential travel.

We feel like this whole essential travel thing is basically up to each individual Guard for interpretation.

Does anyone know of an exact answer for this problem, and how I'd get around each guard along the way looking at it differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have the "police man" deliver it as they possibly could blag their way?

Here;s a case similar to yours
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/gardai-turn-farmer-back-after-journey-to-collect-animal-ruled-not-essential-39118576.html
    A farmer in Meath was ordered to return home after they ruled his journey to collect an animal was not essential travel.

Stopped at a checkpoint yesterday the farmer insisted his journey to Cavan to collect an animal was essential.

However after Garda enquiries were made, it was ruled it wasn't essential.

The farmer was directed to return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Sale of animals is not included in any of the animal related exceptions. The person you are buying the dog from is wrong and needs to hold on to the dog until restrictions are lifted.

Hi, I'm a person living in Dundalk, buying a dog from a police man in Cahir Tipperary. He explained it would be ok to pick up the dog and it's considered essential travel.

We called the local Garda station. She picked up the phone and said it's not considered essential travel.

We feel like this whole essential travel thing is basically up to each individual Guard for interpretation.

Does anyone know of an exact answer for this problem, and how I'd get around each guard along the way looking at it differently?

It would be hard to imagine any situation where collecting an animal is regarded essential travel. In the case described here it would be like any other purchase of goods or items*.

The only way I could see it being essential is if the animal was at risk or danger (maybe the owner gets sick or something) and even then, making a trip across the country would be unlikely as someone local would most likely be able to assist.

I think if you rang every station along the way you would get the same answer (i.e. this is not essential travel), the person selling the dog here is being selfish and probably has an interest in getting rid of the dog.

If you decide to make the trip anyway, you would be the same as every other person who comes along trying to justify their specific exception to them being considered special enough to break the essential travel rule. Most of the time the people who have to ask aren't essential.

(*Might seem cold to equate the lives of other creatures as goods, but in this context it applies..)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So Garden Centres can legally open, they are on the essential list. However my neighbour was stopped on her way to one. She said that they were legally open & the Guard let her pass.

She got stopped, on the way back & told that she shouldn't of gone to the Garden centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭amandstu

Discodog wrote: »
    So Garden Centres can legally open, they are on the essential list. However my neighbour was stopped on her way to one. She said that they were legally open & the Guard let her pass.

She got stopped, on the way back & told that she shouldn't of gone to the Garden centre.
    Why was she told that? Was there one closer to home perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

She shouldn't have, no.
    Shopping for non-food items isn't essential.

It's a mess though
    Hardware stores and garden centres can legally reopen under new laws signed by Health Minister Simon Harris - but the Government wants them to remain closed for the Easter weekend anyway.

There was confusion yesterday over the new batch of Covid-19 restrictions after hardware shops were deemed "essential retail outlets" alongside newsagents and pharmacies.

Legal experts told the Herald that while gardai have been given sweeping powers to enforce the lockdown, they may be powerless to shut hardware and garden centres this weekend.

https://www.herald.ie/news/confusion-as-hardware-and-garden-stores-deemed-essential-39118025.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Argos are only selling certain items, gardening stuff is off the list.

I was checking out prices and noticed it. I am getting it from amazon germany now.

Can't buy a branch cutter, but I can buy a hair straightener -essential so they are...

https://www.argos.ie/static/ArgosPromo3/includeName/delivery-to-your-doorstep.htm&mvt=HP1_bottombanner

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The problem is that the government wrote their lists but the Act has different lists.

A gardener can work & needs to. As horticulture is an essential service they won't qualify for benefits.

• Advertisement

The list is confusing, probably designed to be that way. Fair play to her for doing her bit to support the economy and make the Earth a little bit greener.

The lockdown nazis are having a great time telling people what they can't do, and they're probably celebrating the collapse of companies and the huge job losses.

Advertisement