Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Discodog wrote: »
    The problem is that the government wrote their lists but the Act has different lists.

A gardener can work & needs to. As horticulture is an essential service they won't qualify for benefits.

Is your neighbour a gardener or horticulturist relying on a trip to the garden centre to keep her business afloat?
    I’m all for keeping the economy afloat, and I am itching to get some new plants for my garden. But if everyone who doesn’t need to go there flocks to the garden centres just because they’re open, disease will spread, and they’ll be shut down again. There are 3 garden centres close to me, and all three are taking phone orders and delivering,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So Garden Centres can legally open, they are on the essential list. However my neighbour was stopped on her way to one. She said that they were legally open & the Guard let her pass.

She got stopped, on the way back & told that she shouldn't of gone to the Garden centre.

Possibly they don't have powers to close garden centres because of the loophole, but they do have powers to deem that your journey to them are not essential...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Possibly they don't have powers to close garden centres because of the loophole, but they do have powers to deem that your journey to them are not essential...

This. Some stores need to be open because they're essential to some people or for some emergencies. But that doesn't mean everyone should be going there, the same way as you shouldn't be popping into Tesco to buy a lotto ticket just because it's open for people to buy food.

The government made a list of essential services and all others should close, but they've had to widen that list slightly with the introduction of enforcement laws because there are some instances where those services are needed so they can't be made illegal, but they should still be avoided where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Ohio9 wrote: »
    Since they are spreading the virus by going on non essential journeys, do you think it is appropriate to send them to court with mass murder/harm charges or manslaughter charges at the minimum.
    I think that would be fair because as a result countless innocents die as a direct action of unnecessary journeys.

Relax Francis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

odyssey06 wrote: »

Under what law ? The powers relate directly to the Act - so the Act is the law & not someone's interpretation of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

Does anyone know a website still selling paint for delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

The problem is that the government wrote their lists but the Act has different lists.

A gardener can work & needs to. As horticulture is an essential service they won't qualify for benefits.

Not according to the Dept. of Agriculture. Whilst "horticulture" is included in the Regulations as an essential service, it specifically relates to horticultural production i.e. at the producer level:

" Is Horticulture included as an essential business? Yes. Horticultural production, including nurseries are deemed to be included within the Agriculture Essential Business List. Activities may include cultivation and supply of fruit and vegetables and the ongoing seasonal planting, harvest and maintenance of horticulture plants. However, these operations cannot be open to the public."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Couple of posts in bargain alerts booze thread. People in and out of supermarkets looking for cheap trays of beer.
    I checked in mine twice no slabs at all.When did it start today
    Can people mention the lidi they get the Guinness in please? I've been in three and none had them.

This is why I would like to see webcams in shops, but I guess we can't have that because of GDPR, or notices outside or something, I was saying live stock levels could be shown probably easy enough. Nothing fancy is needed. Or just updates online if stuff is there or not, a lot of supervalus have their own deditcated facebook pages.

This type of thing would see them/Leo saying calling for no discounts or something.

Libera wrote: »
    Not according to the Dept. of Agriculture. Whilst "horticulture" is included in the Regulations as an essential service, it specifically relates to horticultural production i.e. at the producer level:

" Is Horticulture included as an essential business? Yes. Horticultural production, including nurseries are deemed to be included within the Agriculture Essential Business List. Activities may include cultivation and supply of fruit and vegetables and the ongoing seasonal planting, harvest and maintenance of horticulture plants. However, these operations cannot be open to the public."

That is gardening. You should look up the definition of Horticulture. The Dept of Agriculture can't define what's written in an Act if the Act doesn't give a definition. This is why Garden Centres can legally open. Advice isn't law.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

vodkacz wrote: »
    Hi lads. Not sure whether this issue been mentioned before. I just have a question regarding train travel atm. I need to collect 2 kittens from Dublin next week, I'm based in Killarney. Paid deposit already (they are purebred cats). Would anyone have any knowledge regarding Garda enforcement at Dublin Heuston Station? Any commuters here on daily basis? What's the situation in trains? Are we still allowed to use this transport? Thanks in advance.

I think we now have a definitive answer to this.....

Man jailed after driving 450km to buy puppies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

I think we now have a definitive answer to this.....

Man jailed after driving 450km to buy puppies

Well sort of, the jailing bit might have something to do with attempting to evade and continuing on with the trip but no, not deemed a essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Def_IRL

Dublin City Council why are your recycling centres closed, yet Fingals centres are still open during the Covid crisis?

Waste disposal is an essential service, especily considering that fly tipping is said to be c.25% up in recent weeks according to RTE ...source:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0417/1132025-illegal-dumping-covid19/

Online the DCC recycling centres are 'apparently' still open, and showing up as being open until 4pm everyday, yet the gates are closed to the public if you pull up at the gates.

The North strand and Coolock DCC centres are staffed, and have staff in the yards, but the gates are closed to the public. Yet, if you pull up at either North Strand, or the Coolock DCC recycling centre yard gates, the DCC staff within same will advise you to go out to the Malahide Estuary centre in Fingal instead - some 14km away from the DCC shamrock Terrace recycling centre.
    Is this not madness given the current 2km restriction to be diverting customers to another recycling centte 14km away,.
    Many people that dont have a bin service depend on recycling centres to 'responsibly' dispose of black and green bin waste.

Why is it safe to open the Fingal recycling centres, yet not the DCC recycling centres, their layouts are almost identical within each of the recycling centres?
    Social distancing proves relatively easy to maintain in Fingals Estuary recycling centre, as 99% of customers arrive in their cars, thus can be controlled in terms of how many are allowed exit their cars/ walk about openly within the yard at any one time.
    The same could be safely achieved with the DCC recycling centres

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I didn't know the councils used this forum to engage with people?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I asked a question on their FB account a few days ago - no response, good or bad, since.

They had replied to other posters before I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Def_IRL

UPDATE THIS AFTERNOON FROM DCC

Date: 17 April 2020 at 15:50:38 IST
    To: everyone_councillors
    Cc: Celine Reilly, John Flanagan
    Subject: Civic Amenity Sites and Bring Centres

Dear Councillor,

The City Council’s Bring Centres and Civic Amenity Sites closed on 28th March 2020 as a precautionary measure when restrictions were introduced in relation to COVID – 19. The Ringsend Civic Amenity Site reopened on a restricted basis on 1st April 2020 with the North Strand Site remaining closed. Normal service will resume ant both Civic Amenity sites on 20th April and I attach details of the opening hours, range of materials accepted and the charging structure for the service.

Traffic management measures will be in place at both sites to ensure social distancing requirement are met.

The Bring Centres are currently being risk assessed to ascertain the necessary measures required to ensure social distancing before reopening to the public. Where possible the Bring Centres will reopen on a phased basis with effect from Monday 27th April. Details of the opening hours of the Bring Centres and the materials accepted are also attached.

This notice will appear on our Website in the near future.
    Further updates will issue as the Bring Centres reopen

Yours sincerely,

Ciarán McGoldrick
    Senior Staff Officer
    Environment & Transportation Department
    Block 2, Floor 6
    Civic Offices

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Def_IRL wrote: »
    Is this not madness given the current 2km restriction to be diverting customers to another recycling centte 14km away,

It's madness that people still don't understand that the 2km restriction is for exercise...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

My observations so far (operating in Dublin.)

1. I operate as an independent sole trader in the IT arena, but now that has vanished.
    2. I had a minor contract as a courier. Just some handy loot on the side that turns up every week.
    3. Since this kettle of crazy happened, I do virtually no IT and spend all of my time delivering parcels. Because that is all that I have left. If I decide to NOT do it, I am automatically ineligible for the 350.
    4. Shelter in place has resulted in people sitting at home ordering online.
    5. We cannot cope with the volume of deliveries. We are all on 6 day weeks now.
    6. While my preference would be to work at my chosen "metier", I like to think that I am at least enabling people to stay at home and have stuff delivered to the doorstep. (at a 2m distance).

Little did I think that my IT career would end up with me as a full time delivery man.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

1. I operate as an independent sole trader in the IT arena, but now that has vanished.
    I have not heard from the IT guy in my workplace, that is since he is so busy they have 3rd party guys dealing with all the people working from home. My friend gets lots of taxis to hospital and says the taxi men are saying the main jobs are routine hospital visits like him and now are getting loads of IT guys going around fixing up people working from home and sorting things out in offices, they are loving it as they can be outside waiting on the clock getting really good pay as there is little business otherwise.

I know others who had people come out and set up computers in their homes to work from home.

The taximen were saying loads of the companies are having to buy laptops for people and then there are problems with them afterwards so more call outs to houses.

Maybe you are in a totally different area of IT but you could be on the lookout.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

Re professional gardeners, Varadkar has raised the question with the national public health emergency team about whether landscapers can be included on the list of essential workers....this confirms they are not currently on it. However, no changes acticipated before 5th May.

Libera wrote: »
    Re professional gardeners, Varadkar has raised the question with the national public health emergency team about whether landscapers can be included on the list of essential workers....this confirms they are not currently on it. However, no changes acticipated before 5th May.

They are already on the list. The Act specifies Horticulture as an essential service & doesn't further define it, so it means all Horticulture. The Journal & Noel Grealish have been advised of this error. Neither Leo, nor the Emergency team can change the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

They are already on the list. The Act specifies Horticulture as an essential service & doesn't further define it, so it means all Horticulture. The Journal & Noel Grealish have been advised of this error. Neither Leo, nor the Emergency team can change the law.

Our development landscapers were out yesterday. Was surprised but they were definitely social distancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I would not call most of the guys I have ever worked with in landscape maintenance (I was a chargehand looking after several gangs for many years) horticulturalists.

It would be like calling a taxi driver a mechanical engineer because he drove a motor vehicle.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    I would not call most of the guys I have ever worked with in landscape maintenance (I was a chargehand looking after several gangs for many years) horticulturalists.

It would be like calling a taxi driver a mechanical engineer because he drove a motor vehicle.

We have been here before. Landscapers, contractors, gardeners all practice Horticulture. One local Landscaper has won medals for their Horticulture. Some Landscape gardeners offer ongoing maintenance & that's definitely Horticulture.

I trained with the RHS & worked in Kew & Wisley. I do know the meaning of the word.

Caranica wrote: »
    Our development landscapers were out yesterday. Was surprised but they were definitely social distancing.

Like Garden Centres they are totally in the lurch. Told they can work by the Law & not by the government.

Like Garden Centres they are totally in the lurch. Told they can work by the Law & not by the government.

Well what you expect when 90% of the tat that most garden centers now sell to make a living is non essential even when there isn't a pandemic.

If some lad mowing a lawn or cutting a hedge is essential then everyone should be back working.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Well what you expect when 90% of the tat that most garden centers now sell to make a living is non essential even when there isn't a pandemic.

Plants, feeds, composts, weedkillers = Tat :rolleyes:

If some lad mowing a lawn or cutting a hedge is essential then everyone should be back working.

So we disregard law - I wonder where that would lead ?

Plants, feeds, composts, weedkillers = Tat :rolleyes:

Thats the 10%.

• Advertisement

So we disregard law - I wonder where that would lead ?

I’m not disregarding law at all. Just pointing out how incredibly stupid it is that gardening is deemed essential.

Advertisement