Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I’m not disregarding law at all. Just pointing out how incredibly stupid it is that gardening is deemed essential.

In 1947 when the Act was written they didn't bother to break everything down into individual tasks.

This is also listed:

10. Hardware outlets, builders’ merchants and outlets that provide, whether on a retail or wholesale basis - (a) hardware products necessary for home and business maintenance, (b) sanitation and farm equipment, or (c) supplies and tools essential for gardening, farming or agriculture purposes.

Discodog wrote: »
    In 1947 when the Act was written they didn't bother to break everything down into individual tasks.

Again, I won’t be breaking any laws. Stupid ones or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hardware-stores-may-open-during-pandemic-says-government-1.4232565

Hardware stores have been told they may reopen as essential retailers during the Covid-19 pandemic despite contradictory advice from the chief medical officer.

A spokesman for the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation (DBEI) confirmed on Saturday that hardware and builders’ merchants shops were considered essential retail outlets. These stores were included in the list of essential retail outlets published as part of legislation on temporary restrictions introduced by the Minister for Health on April 7th.

These newly introduced regulations state that hardware stores selling products necessary for home and business maintenance, sanitation and farm equipment or supplies and tools essential for gardening, farming or agriculture purposes are considered “essential” and may continue to operate during the pandemic.

The Government had previously said on March 27th that hardware stores could only offer emergency callout or delivery services. However, legislation enacted last week overrides this advice.

This happening will open a free for all for everyone to think they’re grand working and we’ll be back to square one in about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Again, I won’t be breaking any laws. Stupid ones or not.

So how about a hedge that's grown & blocking line of sight on a dangerous road or a tree that could fall on a road or building ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭amandstu

Is it allowed to visit friends provided one stays outside the house itself and employs social distancing in the garden or if one meets at a third location where both parties are within the 2km limit and again ,one practices social distancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

amandstu wrote: »
    Is it allowed to visit friends provided one stays outside the house itself and employs social distancing in the garden or if one meets at a third location where both parties are within the 2km limit and again ,one practices social distancing?

Absolutely not. Please stay indoors unless you are going to get essential items or engaging in (approved) physical activity with in your 2km exercise radius. "Meeting friends" is not recommended by the experts that make up the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Discodog wrote: »
    So how about a hedge that's grown & blocking line of sight on a dangerous road or a tree that could fall on a road or building ?

I think the gaurds will use common sense for issues like that to be honest.

Same as if someone needed a mechanic to replace a car battery who lived 20KM away from their nearest supermarket or if a plumber, electrician is needed urgently for a house call etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Does anyone know a website still selling paint for delivery?

Colourtrend

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

It seems to be all the rage now to run or walk x km to raise funds for charity. All taking place within your 2km radius. Surely such activities will increase opportunities for the virus to be transmitted. Some of these are longer than marathon distance, people crunning curcuitous routes countless times .. I know they are all well intended events but I think the result is to spread virus and dilute the stay at home message.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

BMurr wrote: »
    It seems to be all the rage now to run or walk x km to raise funds for charity. All taking place within your 2km radius. Surely such activities will increase opportunities for the virus to be transmitted. Some of these are longer than marathon distance, people crunning curcuitous routes countless times .. I know they are all well intended events but I think the result is to spread virus and dilute the stay at home message.

Restrictions still apply, with social distancing expected and any exercise to be "brief"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Most runners I encounter are too "lazy" to run in a curve around others ahead of them. Instead while panting far more exhalations than a walker they almost go shoulder length at best and often less.

Is this a two finger salute to the rest of society ?

How can someone who regularly runs 10km to 40km be too damn lazy to adjust their course and curve around people instead of right by them panting and shedding the content of their lungs at a increased rate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Most runners I encounter are too "lazy" to run in a curve around others ahead of them. Instead while panting far more exhalations than a walker they almost go shoulder length at best and often less.

Is this a two finger salute to the rest of society ?

How can someone who regularly runs 10km to 40km be too damn lazy to adjust their course and curve around people instead of right by them panting and shedding the content of their lungs at a increased rate ?
    Probably PBs at stake - even one diversion adding a few metres could be the difference between a PB and no PB.

And I'm not joking, that is the mentality of a certain cohort. In Covid times or non Covid times, other road and footpath users are impediments to their "training".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭appledrop

Six cyclists out together for a cycle today in full gear+ breaking just about every covid restrictions rule.

And no they weren't all from same household as all middle age.

A real two fingers to the rest of us!

appledrop wrote: »
    Six cyclists out together for a cycle today in full gear+ breaking just about every covid restrictions rule.

There does seem to be a lot more people our and about. I think we're slipping and need a fairly hard-hitting public information campaign like the drink driving adverts and some sort if fines as just turning people around is being seen as a risk worth taking for some.

Beasty wrote: »
    Restrictions still apply, with social distancing expected and any exercise to be "brief"

And obviously these restrictions are not being adhered to. I'm not going to post specific examples but a quick Google search will throw up some examples. You can't briefly run or cycle half marathon or marathon distance and they're not all doing it in their back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

There does seem to be a lot more people our and about. I think we're slipping and need a fairly hard-hitting public information campaign like the drink driving adverts and some sort if fines as just turning people around is being seen as a risk worth taking for some.

100%! I was working in our garden down near the beach today and there were loads more people out. We might get 2 cars max parked near the beach of a weekend and that would be when the weather was good, today there were 6 cars and a load of bikes off the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

GinSoaked wrote: »
    100%! I was working in our garden down near the beach today and there were loads more people out. We might get 2 cars max parked near the beach of a weekend and that would be when the weather was good, today there were 6 cars and a load of bikes off the greenway.

Lots of people are working at home Mon- Friday . They are simply looking for a release and some fresh air . As long as they keep well apart I see no harm in it

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Lots of people are working at home Mon- Friday . They are simply looking for a release and some fresh air . As long as they keep well apart I see no harm in it

The "I see no harm in it" is presumably what goes through a lot of people's minds. However, if the beach is within your 2km you won't need to drive there. A group of surfers appeared on a beach earlier this week and had to be called out of the water by Gardai. The surfers were residents of Cork City which is over 25km away from that beach. You're not supposed to be swimming or surfing anyway regardless of wether it's within your 2km or not

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Is there covid19 in the sea? It's amazing how exercise and fresh air and staying away from people now triggers people.. Mad times

• Advertisement

SNNUS wrote: »
    Is there covid19 in the sea? It's amazing how exercise and fresh air and staying away from people now triggers people.. Mad times

2km from your home. That’s the rule and it’s all that matters.

SNNUS wrote: »

Go on, ask if there's Covid19 in the bicycle wheels, in running shoes or if there's a big wall of it waiting at the end of your 2km bubble.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0410/1129779-water-safety-covid-19/

appledrop wrote: »

Lycra shorts and a backpack too small for groceries is always a dead giveaway. Normal people on normal activities don't wear lycra shorts casually.

Lycra shorts and a backpack too small for groceries is always a dead giveaway. Normal people on normal activities don't wear lycra shorts casually.

Were they singing that 70's song about YMCA :D

Were they singing that 70's song about YMCA :D

I remember a few years ago in a cycle forum that was a sore point for them so I'll be diplomatic and just claim that normal people engaging in legit currently lawful activities don't wear lycra shorts 😉

Because lycra shorts are mostly but not exclusively worn to stop thighs rubbing together over vast distances whether that's YMCA dancing , running or cycling 😉

Hence its a big hint when someone on a bicycle bothered to change out of his jeans into lycra. He aint going to Lidl to pick up some spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Hence its a big hint when someone on a bicycle bothered to change out of his jeans into lycra. He aint going to Lidl to pick up some spuds.

People are still allowed to exercise within 2km. Don't be so quick to judge!

VonLuck wrote: »
    People are still allowed to exercise within 2km. Don't be so quick to judge!

2Km is actually nothing on a bicycle

2Km is actually nothing on a bicycle

It's 16.56km if you cycle out to your 2km limit and do a loop!

VonLuck wrote: »
    It's 16.56km if you cycle out to your 2km limit and do a loop!

Fair enough but how long would that take ? My point is I have a degree of confidence in separating those out for a long ride from those simply going to Lidl

• Advertisement

Fair enough but how long would that take ? My point is I have a degree of confidence in separating those out for a long ride from those simply going to Lidl

Oh yes of course. Anyone in lycra is more than likely out for exercise. Although I wouldn't assume they're all breaking the 2km limit.

Advertisement