Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Probably PBs at stake - even one diversion adding a few metres could be the difference between a PB and no PB.

And I'm not joking, that is the mentality of a certain cohort. In Covid times or non Covid times, other road and footpath users are impediments to their "training".

Bollocks. Nobody goes for a PB on footpaths in an estate or along roads - that's saved for actual races, or parkruns, not getting out for a bit of exercise.

Runners and joggers don't jump out on the road if there's a pedestrian because they'd end up dead. There's far less traffic on the roads, but a "certain cohort" of motorists think that means they're allowed speed up and use bus lanes. Running out onto the road to avoid a pedestrian is an invitation to be visiting A&E.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

SNNUS wrote: »
    Is there covid19 in the sea? It's amazing how exercise and fresh air and staying away from people now triggers people.. Mad times

If you're only exercising within 2k of your home and only leaving home apart from that for essential work that can't be done from home, or shopping, then
    a) you're not spreading Covid if you're a carrier;
    b) you're not catching it from anyone else;
    c) you're not going to be in a road traffic collision or getting into difficulty in the water, necessitating an emergency services callout, putting them at risk, and diverting frontline resources from where they'd be better utilised.

How can you be this far in to the restrictions and still not realise why they're in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Bollocks. Nobody goes for a PB on footpaths in an estate or along roads - that's saved for actual races, or parkruns, not getting out for a bit of exercise.

Runners and joggers don't jump out on the road if there's a pedestrian because they'd end up dead. There's far less traffic on the roads, but a "certain cohort" of motorists think that means they're allowed speed up and use bus lanes. Running out onto the road to avoid a pedestrian is an invitation to be visiting A&E.

If you can't stay 2 metres away from pedestrians while running then stop running.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Giant block party this evening on my road. Started with Bingo. Degenerated from there. Social distancing completely out the window. Drunken bellowing of dozens of people still going now. I'll expect to hear ambulances calling in two weeks' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Giant block party this evening on my road. Started with Bingo. Degenerated from there. Social distancing completely out the window. Drunken bellowing of dozens of people still going now. I'll expect to hear ambulances calling in two weeks' time.

Where is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

rubadub wrote: »
    I have not heard from the IT guy in my workplace, that is since he is so busy they have 3rd party guys dealing with all the people working from home. My friend gets lots of taxis to hospital and says the taxi men are saying the main jobs are routine hospital visits like him and now are getting loads of IT guys going around fixing up people working from home and sorting things out in offices, they are loving it as they can be outside waiting on the clock getting really good pay as there is little business otherwise.

I know others who had people come out and set up computers in their homes to work from home.

The taximen were saying loads of the companies are having to buy laptops for people and then there are problems with them afterwards so more call outs to houses.

Maybe you are in a totally different area of IT but you could be on the lookout.

To be fair, sure, there is a bit of that. But I have it so tight that most of my customers run automagically (those that are even still operating).

As for home working, I have three laptops hanging about awaiting parts. No idea when they might turn up right now. The oldest is sitting in my home office for two weeks with the parts stranded in Cork.

Anyway, it's kind of nice to legitimately be out and about in the fresh air every day. Silver lining and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You'd be surprised.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Where is that?

It must be somewhere in America. We don't do 'block' parties in Ireland.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Anyone know what the restrictions are between the Republic and the North at the moment?

I assume anyone trying to cross the border will be told to turn back home (in either direction)...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

VonLuck wrote: »
    Anyone know what the restrictions are between the Republic and the North at the moment?

I assume anyone trying to cross the border will be told to turn back home (in either direction)...

I believe the Gardai have been instructed that they cannot impose,restrictions on thise coming from the north. If the stories about fleets of travellers coming over from Uk with caravans in tow are anything to go by they're doing bugger all in the ports to stop people so probably same at border.

• Advertisement

Probably up to us to police them then. Especially if this goes into July and half of them descend here undoing any good work we’ve done so far.

Probably up to us to police them then. Especially if this goes into July and half of them descend here undoing any good work we’ve done so far.

I wouldn't like to be trying to police this lot. Makes a mockery of the restrictions. https://extra.ie/2020/04/26/news/irish-news/travellers-curragh-religious-retreat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

BMurr wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to be trying to police this lot. Makes a mockery of the restrictions. https://extra.ie/2020/04/26/news/irish-news/travellers-curragh-religious-retreat

A few of the posters on here would support their right to do what they want judging by comments the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Has anyone seen this, I'm not sure if true but George Lee posted it so I'm presuming he checked this.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeLeeRTE/status/1254068492883689472?s=19

Lee is a massive spoofer and doom merchant but I really hope this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The problem is they will fill our ICU beds and fill the hospitals and we all wil pay the price

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Balf wrote: »
    I understood his argument was around impacts on parental rights coming from his previous work on equality for fathers in custody battles. I suspect he had a point,
    What was the point?
    The Nal wrote: »
    Theres never going to be a viable opposition - a credible right wing - in Ireland because of these nutjobs. Gemma and now Waters are the ones ensuring that. The Nazi National Party and that little sack of shíte Barrett realised this when it was too late, after their utterly embarrassing and hilarious election results. Even they have cut ties with Gems and the conspiracy loons now.
    Renua had their shot at the table, and got negligible support.

PDs had their shot at economic right wing policy, and faded away without trace.
    Balf wrote: »
    Which would be a good way of putting it, if the point of the law was to obstruct sport and exercise for some reason.

But when the point of the law is to confine people to their homes as much as possible, its just pedantic.
    The point of the law was to stop people driving to Bray and Glendalough to take a walk.

The 2km limit applies only to exercise, and not to other reasons to leave the house. Can I just clarify if you are still denying this point? I can post a link to the Statutory Instrument if you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

The 2km limit applies only to exercise, and not to other reasons to leave the house. Can I just clarify if you are still denying this point? I can post a link to the Statutory Instrument if you like?
    Sure, I haven't denied that individual point.

The more germaine threshold is the 3,500km one. Anyway, looking at the crowds in Salthill yesterday that's another argument that will ultimately be resolved by the people. A referendum where the votes are cast with your feet.

Incidently, there's an outbreak of commonsense on another thread that you need to get all over
    niallo27 wrote: »
    For non essential services there is, I mean I shouldnt travel 20km to supermacs today. I'd like to but I wont.

I believe the Gardai have been instructed that they cannot impose,restrictions on thise coming from the north. If the stories about fleets of travellers coming over from Uk with caravans in tow are anything to go by they're doing bugger all in the ports to stop people so probably same at border.

They can stop them and advise them to turn back but they've no power of arrest.

Penfailed wrote: »
    They can stop them and advise them to turn back but they've no power of arrest.

Which is a farce, they might as well be handing out leaflets.

• Advertisement

Which is a farce, they might as well be handing out leaflets.

Yep. Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Has anyone seen this, I'm not sure if true but George Lee posted it so I'm presuming he checked this.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeLeeRTE/status/1254068492883689472?s=19

Vey good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Vey good news.

Much easier to get the Gardai to drive around the parks & see for themselves. Plus if they arrived before Easter the Garda instruction is to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

VonLuck wrote: »
    Oh yes of course. Anyone in lycra is more than likely out for exercise. Although I wouldn't assume they're all breaking the 2km limit.

NO but I'd assume the majority are.

Irish people legally required to stay within 2k of their homes and if over 70 to stay at home.

Irish people are NOT legally required to stay within 2km of their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Irish people are NOT legally required to stay within 2km of their home.

Why are the Gardaí actively enforcing such measures then? :confused:

Danno wrote: »

They aren't.

Danno wrote: »

Essential journeys including going for shopping. Dropping food to relatives etc are allowed. 2km only applies to exercise. Eg I'm doing an essential journey tomorrow that will be 100km or so. Entirely legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I don't understand how the 2km radius limit is misunderstood by so many people.
    It only applies to exercise!

• Advertisement

They need to hammer that home for the next round of restrictions, or make the restrictions tighter.

How will restricting exercise help in a public health crisis? You do get the importance of keeping people healthy in a health crisis?

Advertisement