Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

How will restricting exercise help in a public health crisis? You do get the importance of keeping people healthy in a health crisis?

All exercise isn't restricted, just those forms that bring people close enough to other people to assist the spread of the virus. Anyone who wants to exercise can still do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

storker wrote: »
    All exercise isn't restricted, just those forms that bring people close enough to other people to assist the spread of the virus. Anyone who wants to exercise can still do so.

How does solo cycling bring people close enough to other people to assist spread of disease?

If you don't want people to meet other people when exercising, why would you restrict them into a small radius? Surely the wider the radius, the less contact with others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

How does solo cycling bring people close enough to other people to assist spread of disease?

If you don't want people to meet other people when exercising, why would you restrict them into a small radius? Surely the wider the radius, the less contact with others?

Careful now. You're starting to side with Gemma O'Doherty.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,498 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My god the stupidity and selfishness in that statement is so telling!

Can you seriously not see how everyone having a smaller circle of exercise causes less contamination than everyone having a wider circle of exercise?

If you cannot, then you'll never understand.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    My god the stupidity and selfishness in that statement is so telling!

Can you seriously not see how everyone having a smaller circle of exercise causes less contamination than everyone having a wider circle of exercise?

Can you seriously not see how everyone exercising within in smaller circle brings them into MORE contact with other people around him compared to letting people find their own quiet spaces and routes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

I don't understand how the 2km radius limit is misunderstood by so many people.
    It only applies to exercise!

The 2km limit clearly does not only apply to exercise.

You can only go beyond 2km for essential work, medical appointments or for food shopping.

In my case I can fully work from home, thankfully I haven't needed any medical appointments and I have a choice of supermarkets very close by.

Therefore I apparently have no need to travel more than 2km from home. Can I drive 100km to visit my parents (socially distancing)? No, I can't so it's pointless saying that the 2km thing only relates to exercise. There are many things people may wish to travel more than 2km for other than exercise which they are currently prevented from doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Martin567 wrote: »

You can only go beyond 2km for essential work, medical appointments or for food shopping.

In my case I can fully work from home, thankfully I haven't needed any medical appointments and I have a choice of supermarkets very close by.

Therefore I apparently have no need to travel more than 2km from home. Can I drive 100km to visit my parents (socially distancing)? No, I can't so it's pointless saying that the 2km thing only relates to exercise. There are many things people may wish to travel more than 2km for other than exercise which they are currently prevented from doing.

For example you can not legally travel 2km to visit a friend or to buy a non essential item.
    The rules are very clear, you can travel 2km for exercise only.
    These is no limit on distance to travel for something deemed essential.
    Therefore the limit only applies to exercise.

Read the regulation.

The 2km limit only applies to exercise - nothing else.

You can rationalise other scenarios to the moon and back, but that doesn't change the fact.

The 2km limit only applies to exercise.

Read the regulation.

The 2km limit only applies to exercise - nothing else.

You can rationalise other scenarios to the moon and back, but that doesn't change the fact.

So then I can visit my parents or other people further than 2km from me while maintaining my distance?

If not, the rest of your post is pure semantics.

So then I can visit my parents or other people further than 2km from me while maintaining my distance?

If not, the rest of your post is pure semantics.

You can't visit your parents or other people whether they are within 2km or outside 2km. You can deliver essential supplies to your parents and other people, whether they are inside or outside the 2km limit.

• Advertisement

You can't visit your parents or other people whether they are within 2km or outside 2km. You can deliver essential supplies to your parents and other people, whether they are inside or outside the 2km limit.

It all amounts to the same thing. As I said, semantics.

It's not semantics. The 2km limit only applies to exercise.

It is entirely irrelevant for any other journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

The media and the Gardai are to blame for this misunderstanding. They're putting it out there that you can't go 2KM from your home period which is not true. I would hope the Gardai are not applying this law incorrectly.

Of course it is semantics. Also pedantic in the extreme.

I am more interested in the actual effects of something rather than the specific wording in the regulations. Yes, 2km is only specifically mentioned with regards to exercise but it clearly impacts on everything else.

If somebody lives within 2km of me, I can drop something deemed non-essential at their door without even seeing them while passing on my walk. I could also stop outside for a quick chat while keeping my distance from them and this would cause no additional risk to anyone.

I can't do any of the above if they live outside a 2km range. So irrespective of what the 2km applies to, its effects are far wider.

Of course it is semantics. Also pedantic in the extreme.

I am more interested in the actual effects of something rather than the specific wording in the regulations. Yes, 2km is only specifically mentioned with regards to exercise but it clearly impacts on everything else.

If somebody lives within 2km of me, I can drop something deemed non-essential at their door without even seeing them while passing on my walk. I could also stop outside for a quick chat while keeping my distance from them and this would cause no additional risk to anyone.

I can't do any of the above if they live outside a 2km range. So irrespective of what the 2km applies to, its effects are far wider.

The 2km has no impact on anything other than exercise. If you use your exercise privileges to go visiting, you are breaching the regulations.

The 2km has no impact on anything other than exercise. If you use your exercise privileges to go visiting, you are breaching the regulations.

Define visiting.

The regulations are to contain the spread of a virus. If people are going to be accused of breaching regulations for what I described above, then they truly are missing the point.

I also just spotted the term exercise 'privileges'! How ridiculous is that. We really must be in prison!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Define visiting.

The regulations are to contain the spread of a virus. If people are going to accused of breaching regulations for what I described above, then they truly are missing the point.

It's really not hard. Stay inside unless for shopping or some exercise. When you exercise stay within a 2k radius.

What do you not understand here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

No, if it leave my house for exercise and have to stay within 2km of my house, but there are no Pharmacies with the 2km limit, so if i need something essential in a Pharmacy, I can travel further.

No, if it leave my house for exercise and have to stay within 2km of my house, but there are no Pharmacies with the 2km limit, so if i need something essential in a Pharmacy, I can travel further.

Yes, I know that. The same applies to food shopping and essential work, etc.

That has nothing to do with what I was saying.

• Advertisement

EyesClosed wrote: »
    It's really not hard. Stay inside unless for shopping or some exercise. When you exercise stay within a 2k radius.

What do you not understand here?

Why do you think I don't understand something?

It's all perfectly clear.

Why do you think I don't understand something?

It's all perfectly clear.

Then I have no idea what you are complaining about.
    If you happen to see someone you know also out exercising of course you can have a chat from a distance, nobody is going to do anything.

The 2k limit is for exercise only, you seemed not to be able to understand that earlier, but now you are saying everything is all clear......so you do get it then?

Then I have no idea what you are complaining about.
    If you happen to see someone you know also out exercising of course you can have a chat from a distance, nobody is going to do anything.

The 2k limit is for exercise only, you seemed not to be able to understand that earlier, but now you are saying everything is all clear......so you do get it then?

I'm afraid I can't do anything further to aid your comprehension levels without beating my head any further against the wall here.

I'm afraid I can't do anything further to aid your comprehension levels without beating my head any further against the wall here.

Maybe the head beatings is the problem so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If they are within 4K of you then technically you could meet them for a quick yap/walk, at the perimeter of both your circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

The media and the Gardai are to blame for this misunderstanding. They're putting it out there that you can't go 2KM from your home period which is not true. I would hope the Gardai are not applying this law incorrectly.

No there not. I've been stopped countless times. Asked where I'm going and where I live. I've travelled more than 2km to go to the shops and also dropped shopping out to my mam which was a 30 min drive and was stopped by the guards. Was asked where I was going and where I was travelling from. Told them and they were fine about it.

Somebody linked a poll from the Irish Times earlier where the number one thing that most people wanted to be lifted is the travel restriction.

Not pubs or any other shop but the travel restriction. Clearly this restriction was brought in to prevent people gathering at seasides and other beauty spots. I believe this could be done in a different way, by closing off these places where possible or else by concentrating the Gardai in specific areas to move people on. That would be preferable to a blanket ban on movement outside 2km for anything other than what are deemed to be "essential" reasons.

So yes, 2km only refers to exercise in the regulations but in practice it means you can't go beyond 2km for anything considered not to be essential. That is the point I have been making.

Somebody linked a poll from the Irish Times earlier where the number one thing that most people wanted to be lifted is the travel restriction.

Not pubs or any other shop but the travel restriction. Clearly this restriction was brought in to prevent people gathering at seasides and other beauty spots. I believe this could be done in a different way, by closing off these places where possible or else by concentrating the Gardai in specific areas to move people on. That would be preferable to a blanket ban on movement outside 2km for anything other than what are deemed to be "essential" reasons.

So yes, 2km only refers to exercise in the regulations but in practice it means you can't go beyond 2km for anything considered not to be essential. That is the point I have been making.

You said you understand the stay inside thing.... So why are you trying to leave the house other than for exercise and essentials?

Maybe you don't understand that stay inside means stay inside.... Since everything is basically closed it's easier to do.

You said you understand the stay inside thing.... So why are you trying to leave the house other than for exercise and essentials?

Maybe you don't understand that stay inside means stay inside.... Since everything is basically closed it's easier to do.

Of course I understand it. I haven't been beyond 2km for six weeks or seen my family in that time.

I'm simply saying this is the first thing which needs to be relaxed. It can't continue for much longer at this level. The lack of a plan or any coherent communication from the Govt or the CMO is very worrying though.

• Advertisement

I fully agree with your first two paragraphs. They picked the wrong measure to stop people driving to Glendalough for a walk.

Advertisement