Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

How does solo cycling bring people close enough to other people to assist spread of disease?

That's a good point, but I was responding to a question about "restricting exercise", not "restricting cycling".
    If you don't want people to meet other people when exercising, why would you restrict them into a small radius? Surely the wider the radius, the less contact with others?

Again, not an unreasonable argument. In this case I imagine the thinking is that the further people can travel, the more people can congregate in places where they've always tended to do so for example, Glendalough or Brittas Bay in Wicklow. If only people who live within 2km of those places actually go there, then it should be easy for those who do to maintain social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

storker wrote: »

Again, not an unreasonable argument. In this case I imagine the thinking is that the further people can travel, the more people can congregate in places where they've always tended to do so for example, Glendalough or Brittas Bay in Wicklow. If only people who live within 2km of those places actually go there, then it should be easy for those who do to maintain social distancing.

In that scenario, the problem is the congregation, not the distance travelled. They could just as easily be congregating within the 2km radius.

If we need to ban congregation, then ban congregation. The 2km radius doesn't fix this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Martin567 wrote: »
    So yes, 2km only refers to exercise in the regulations but in practice it means you can't go beyond 2km for anything considered not to be essential. That is the point I have been making.

I don’t know why I’m getting into this. You shouldn’t go outside your front gate for anything that isn’t essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

jlm29 wrote: »
    I don’t know why I’m getting into this. You shouldn’t go outside your front gate for anything that isn’t essential.

But thats the problem plenty of people don't see that and want to make up their own " sure it won't hurt" rules.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    But thats the problem plenty of people don't see that and want to make up their own " sure it won't hurt" rules.

I know. It’s a huge problem. “I can go for a walk and stop and chat with my friend because they live 1.9km away”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

T

"going there" generally means by car, nobody is going to cycle down to Brittas Bay from Dublin in terms of using the beach

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

jlm29 wrote: »
    I know. It’s a huge problem. “I can go for a walk and stop and chat with my friend because they live 1.9km away”.

I've got neighbors that I didn't realise I had :rolleyes:

Wife was on the phone to a friend about 2km away friend lives in a no where place you'd never normally bother to visit but they said they couldn't believe the number of cars parked near them over the weekend. The annoying thing is people realise they shouldn't go out but try and find somewhere to go where they think they won't be spotted or noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

Indeed. And it's obvious that some on this thread either don't have the ability to comprehend the reasons behind the regulations or they just like to be antagonistic. I guess this reflects society and underlines the importance of having clear rules and clear penalties for infringing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

That's a good point, but I was responding to a question about "restricting exercise", not "restricting cycling".

I understood it as an attempt to prevent untraceable clusters of the virus. If you've only moved around inside a 2km radius then its easier to contact trace ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I understood it as an attempt to prevent untraceable clusters of the virus. If you've only moved around inside a 2km radius then its easier to contact trace ?

Yes, to an extent.

And it's a fallacy to think "If you can move 6km instead of 2km you'll be more spread out and meet less people." People still congregate in the same places. And if they're all still congregating in the same parks/walks, there'll just be at least the same number of people, only heading home to further away places.

• Advertisement

Surely contact tracing depends on contacts, not on movement?

Yes, to an extent.

And it's a fallacy to think "If you can move 6km instead of 2km you'll be more spread out and meet less people." People still congregate in the same places. And if they're all still congregating in the same parks/walks, there'll just be at least the same number of people, only heading home to further away places.

Solo cyclists generally don't congregate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

BMurr wrote: »
    Indeed. And it's obvious that some on this thread either don't have the ability to comprehend the reasons behind the regulations or they just like to be antagonistic. I guess this reflects society and underlines the importance of having clear rules and clear penalties for infringing them.

please explaon again, in light of the ever expanding info we are getting. Why can i go to tesco ten times in a day if i want but not woodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

What is stopping me from driving 200km to collect critical paperwork for my job or from resolving a critical maintenance issue like a leak in a property a few hundred KM away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

please explaon again, in light of the ever expanding info we are getting. Why can i go to tesco ten times in a day if i want but not woodies?

Because the majority of people are sensible enough not to do this. They can't keep track of how many times you go to tesco but only a moron would do so that frequently.
    Tesco sell food and it is more essential than what woodies sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

What do you think, figure it out yourself, it's not too complicated. Furthermore, if you're going to tesco ten times a day planning and logical thinking might not be your best qualities.

Why keep looking for ways around it? Common sense would tell you well enough what to do, or do you not think this is an issue at all?

Because woodies Is closed and tesco Is open? That’s the most obvious reason.
    But seriously. You can go to Tesco ten times a day, but we have all been asked, multiple times, not to.

What is stopping me from driving 200km to collect critical paperwork for my job or from resolving a critical maintenance issue like a leak in a property a few hundred KM away

Nothing. If you’re an essential worker, in an essential job, you can go where you need to go to do your job.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Why do you consider it essential to visit Tescos 10 times in a day:confused: I can manage with 1 or 2 trips a week

It's not a case of what you want. What you need, yes, but even then you should be responsible and not take any unnecessary trips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

In stark terms - because limiting movement outside the home to essential trips only reduces your chances of death from Covid-19.

This bleak revelation prompted by the twitter thread of ITV's head of I.T., that I read this morning. April 15th: "Ha, silly puppy." April 16th: "Partner and I both WFH, sharing babysitting duties, we're acing this parenting lark." April 25th: "In hospital last two weeks, touch and go for a while." April 26th: "This is Mark's brother. He died yesterday, leaving his partner, and daughter of 5 months."

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

Today's Garda checkpoint encounter made me laugh.

Hit a CP and they were giving each car an extensive grilling.

This is a delay I could do without, because the IT side of my work has now generated a queue of laptops for repair so I wanted to get the deliveries done fast. Not good.

Eventually, I roll up to the Garda and crank down my window expecting the usual grilling that everyone else got. He leans down and sees me surrounded by a sea of parcels.

He just says "Good lad" and waves me on.

Seems trivial, but gave me a jolly for the day.

Today's Garda checkpoint encounter made me laugh.

Hit a CP and they were giving each car an extensive grilling.

This is a delay I could do without, because the IT side of my work has now generated a queue of laptops for repair so I wanted to get the deliveries done fast. Not good.

Eventually, I roll up to the Garda and crank down my window expecting the usual grilling that everyone else got. He leans down and sees me surrounded by a sea of parcels.

He just says "Good lad" and waves me on.

Seems trivial, but gave me a jolly for the day.

A neighbor was telling me he was getting a grilling from a Garda that lives locally. Half way through the conversation Garda says you live down the road from me don't you on you go then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

A neighbor was telling me he was getting a grilling from a Garda that lives locally. Half way through the conversation Garda says you live down the road from me don't you on you go then :D

TBH, I am still chuckling. I am certain that some entitled wingnuts are furious why I got such an easy pass.

I have a simple view. By taking that roll, I am facilitating people staying at home, ordering online and getting their stuff whatever it may be. That is a good thing.

Add to that, if i wasn't doing that I would be bleeding money out of the state that would be better spent on people who actually need it.

Add to that, I get to cruise around all day. I don't have to fret about being confined because I am exempt and am in no way confined at all.

Add to that the simple fact that the recipients are just so boxed up that I get to engage in human interaction with people desperate for some for some contact with somebody, anybody. They just want to chew the fat with anyone they are not thoroughly fed up with. That is actually problematic at times. They would talk the hind legs off a donkey out of sheer desperation for a new person to talk to. And I have a full load for other people waiting.

Add to that, money. I am coining it. Far more than the 350 a week gov stipend available. Just on the deliveries. Without breaking a sweat.

We have all ended up in a very odd world. Not my choice of career, but that is how it is right now.

And I am glad of it. Not just the filthy lucre, but being out and about every day for legitimate reason. It is rather pleasant. And one meets so many grateful people that you even turn up.

Now, I will grant that under normal circumstance, I would make more in IT in an hour that I would in a whole day of dropping parcels.

But we are not under any measure under normal circumstances, are we.

Sure my income has fallen off a cliff. But I still have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭amandstu

TBH, I am still chuckling. I am certain that some entitled wingnuts are furious why I got such an easy pass.

I have a simple view. By taking that roll, I am facilitating people staying at home, ordering online and getting their stuff whatever it may be. That is a good thing.

Add to that, if i wasn't doing that I would be bleeding money out of the state that would be better spent on people who actually need it.

Add to that, I get to cruise around all day. I don't have to fret about being confined because I am exempt and am in no way confined at all.

Add to that the simple fact that the recipients are just so boxed up that I get to engage in human interaction with people desperate for some for some contact with somebody, anybody. They just want to chew the fat with anyone they are not thoroughly fed up with. That is actually problematic at times. They would talk the hind legs off a donkey out of sheer desperation for a new person to talk to. And I have a full load for other people waiting.

Add to that, money. I am coining it. Far more than the 350 a week gov stipend available. Just on the deliveries. Without breaking a sweat.

We have all ended up in a very odd world. Not my choice of career, but that is how it is right now.

And I am glad of it. Not just the filthy lucre, but being out and about every day for legitimate reason. It is rather pleasant. And one meets so many grateful people that you even turn up.

Now, I will grant that under normal circumstance, I would make more in IT in an hour that I would in a whole day of dropping parcels.

But we are not under any measure under normal circumstances, are we.

Sure my income has fallen off a cliff. But I still have one.
    Why would anyone think you got an easy pass ? You say (and I accept) that your business is legitimate and beneficial. (as well as "essential")

The Garda saw that and just did his job.

Good for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

so the WHO says there is no evidence of children carrying the virus to transmitt to there grandparents' and Switzerland has lifted the restrictions of Grandchildren under 10 yrs from making contact with there gandparents so why not here where are the expert's i want to hold my grandchild

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

spatchco wrote: »
    so the WHO says there is no evidence of children carrying the virus to transmitt to there grandparents' and Switzerland has lifted the restrictions of Grandchildren under 10 yrs from making contact with there gandparents so why not here where are the expert's i want to hold my grandchild

It's not so clear..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-30/children-with-coronavirus-may-be-just-as-infectious-as-adults
    Children with the new coronavirus may be as infectious as adults, according to a study from Germany that stoked confusion over kids’ role in the pandemic.

Levels of virus in the respiratory tract -- the main route via which the pathogen is transmitted -- don’t appear significantly different across age groups, Christian Drosten, director of the Institute of Virology at Berlin’s Charite hospital, and colleagues found. They advised caution in reopening schools and kindergartens.

The findings add to a contradictory body of work over children’s response to Covid-19 and the role they play in its spread, with another report showing kids aren’t passing the virus to adults. The World Health Organization said Wednesday more research was needed on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

spatchco wrote: »

The WHO is a discredited organization where at least Covid19 is concerned.

You've been listening to Donald again, haven't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

Discredited by a idiotic narcissist.

Advertisement