Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

You're not an essential worker, it's not an essential journey.

Whatever we say will probably have no impact on your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Whatever we say will probably have no impact on your decision.

stop this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The worst thing about this "crisis" is how it encouraged the condescending out of the woodwork.
    You started defending the law idiotically instesd of just stating it.
    Theres a negligible chance of my passing on an infection since unlike a delivery driver I don't have to verify anything or report back to anyone.
    Theres also a.highly reduced chance of accident since theres far fewer people on the roads.

All of this is fair comment. Comment I may disagree with, but that's life.
    Furthermore its my. right to use up healthcare resources if I am.involved in an accident however contrary to what you claimed, the hospitals.and.ambulance service have never been quieter.

This, however, just shows you up to be a dick looking for an argument.

stop this.

Am I wrong?
    Most replies have just stated the law to you. So you now know the law but come up with excuses on why it should not apply to you.

Just leave it, you know the law it is up to you how you act on that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

amandstu wrote: »
    Why would anyone think you got an easy pass ? You say (and I accept) that your business is legitimate and beneficial. (as well as "essential")

The Garda saw that and just did his job.

Good for everyone involved.
    Its the perception of others at the checkpoint.

• Advertisement

Can a business deliver outside of 5 km ?

If i sell something online can I deliver it personally in a van and leave it outside at the buyers address ?

Sure, if you have a letter of authorisation from your employer. Self employed? Write your own. So long as there is a strict no contact policy in action, you are good to go.

ETA: Ah. I see it is a frivolous sale of a frivolous item to a frivolous customer.

Nope. Try it if you want but be prepared for consequences if you are caught. And the chances of that are quite high on a 100k round trip.

Whe I mentioned "Self employed, I had in mind a plumber/electrician/whatever working for themselves. That is not you. You are just some guy who sold one thing on the intertubes to one person. And it is merely some second hand tat that you want rid of. That would definitely put you outside the law as it stands.

ETA2: Now that I think of it, it would also invalidate your insurance policy. Remember that "carriage of goods for business" clause? That would make you an uninsured driver as well.

ETA2: Now that I think of it, it would also invalidate your insurance policy. Remember that "carriage of goods for business" clause? That would make you an uninsured driver as well.

not at all . I can rent a govan for business reasons or any personal reason.
    What we have in many of the comments before yours is an attempt to turn a " restrictions questions" thread into a "travel shaming" thread.

What we have in many of the comments before yours is an attempt to turn a " restrictions questions" thread into a "travel shaming" thread.

How is giving you correct info on the law travel shaming?

You now know the law, do whatever you want with that info.

How is giving you correct info on the law travel shaming?

You now know the law, do whatever you want with that info.

Correct information took a back seat to travel shaming and dumb questions.

Correct information took a back seat to travel shaming and dumb questions.

It is not an essential journey, non essential journeys are currently illegal.
    Saying it is essential to you does not make it essential by law. You need to be registered as a business with the correct company insurance to run a private courier business.

There's the info, no shaming. Do as you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can a business deliver outside of 5 km ?

If i sell something online can I deliver it personally in a van and leave it outside at the buyers address ?
    dumb questions.
    Your first question about business deliveries was "dumb" wasting peoples time asking at it when the answer was not relevant to you at all, and you knew it fine well.

Like others I wonder if its a windup.

Motorist stopped at garda checkpoint was travelling to Limerick "to buy a trampoline"
    ah but gardai I was delivering, I thought it was only collection that was against the rules.

It is not an essential journey, non essential journeys are currently illegal.
    Saying it is essential to you does not make it essential by law. You need to be registered as a business with the correct company insurance to run a private courier business.

There's the info, no shaming. Do as you will.

A few hundred euro might not be essential to you in your ivory tower but to many it is

rubadub wrote: »
    Your first question about business deliveries was "dumb" wasting peoples time asking at it when the answer was not relevant to you at all, and you knew it fine well.

Like others I wonder if its a windup.

Motorist stopped at garda checkpoint was travelling to Limerick "to buy a trampoline"
    ah but gardai I was delivering, I thought it was only collection that was against the rules.

No. Engaging in speculation about a poster instead of dealing with his questions is dumb
    How stupid do you have to be to repeatedly ignore polite requests to stick to the question and stop talking ****e off topic ?

A few hundred euro might not be essential to you in your ivory tower but to many it is

I don't see your point. You know where you stand legally, what more do you hope to gain by posting?
    Do you expect me to advise you to do something that is illegal?

I don't see your point. You know where you stand legally, what more do you hope to gain by posting?
    Do you expect me to advise you to do something that is illegal?

I can't believe the downright thick responses I am getting here. And condescension concerning the law. I do not know you and barely hope at this point for anything from you apart from virtue signalling for sychophantic thanks and travel shaming.
    If you are allowed ASSUME we know answers before the question is asked then what's the point of having a thread on the topic ?

If you mean criminality shaming then I don't understand why you would consider this a bad thing.

But I haven't even done that. I have made my best effort to explain the current laws to you, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

you are fucked in the head...

pointless questions about businesses. And pathetic nonsense answers.

You know fine well the intent of the rules, just give the rules 2 fingers if you want, why waste your and other peoples time?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I can't believe the downright thick responses I am getting here. And condescension concerning the law. I do not know you and barely hope at this point for anything from you apart from virtue signalling for sychophantic thanks and travel shaming.
    If you are allowed ASSUME we know answers before the question is asked then what's the point of having a thread on the topic ?

You have had appropriate answers. If you have an issue with any of them report them rather than trying to moderate the thread yourself

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in thread

Now move on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I can work from home permanently if I want to but I’m going back into the office from June 8th. I don’t have a proper setup at home and I need the quietness of the office

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

My son is returning from Australia next month as he and his partner's jobs went because of the lockdown over there. They plan to self isolate for 2 weeks in the West, as someone is lending them an unused house.

I live in the Southeast and my plan is for myself and my wife to drive to Dublin Airport, in separate cars and leave one there for him to use and then we'll drive home. Would that be considered reasonable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Can they not manage to travel to the southeast when they get to Dublin ?

Assuming they manage to get from Australia, that shouldn't be a problem I would have thought. Say thats where they are going when they arrive, collect car with no contact and head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I don't think you'd have any issues with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My son is returning from Australia next month as he and his partner's jobs went because of the lockdown over there. They plan to self isolate for 2 weeks in the West, as someone is lending them an unused house.

I live in the Southeast and my plan is for myself and my wife to drive to Dublin Airport, in separate cars and leave one there for him to use and then we'll drive home. Would that be considered reasonable?
    A while back I'd have said no, these days what with looking at the authority's half arsed sometimes farcical advice and actions and seeing too many not give a tuppence about the lockdown and even social distancing I'd say go for it. Driving up and back you're going to be about the tiniest risk to others out there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Go for it. You arent risking yourselves or others at all.

Theres no real alternative anyway, if they rent a car they'll have to bring it back at some point, and there are very few buses running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

McDermotX wrote: »
    Can they not manage to travel to the southeast when they get to Dublin ?

f.

Not without using public transport, which would defeat the purpose of self isolation. Also, they don't want to come here until after the two weeks to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Not without using public transport, which would defeat the purpose of self isolation. Also, they don't want to come here until after the two weeks to be safe

Sounds to me like the most efficient and safest way of doing things is what you're suggesting. Agreed, they'd have to avoid public transport.

It does sound like the best way of doing it.
    The only possible problem is random contrary guard at random checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Other than travelling on the plane of course, which I'm gonna assume they wore a mask on etc etc.
    Does make me wonder how all these people returning and self isolating get to their destination ?
    I think its safe to assume the not all of them have a personal, private car ready and waiting for them. There is going to be some exposure in a lot of cases - ferry them all to a nearby controlled location for two weeks is the ideal scenario as opposed to traipsing about the country in any manner.

If I understand correctly, you and wife drive separately in convoy, drop the extra car at the airport, you and wife return home in the same car while son and partner take surplus car at the airport. All then isolate in their respective domiciles?

I see no problem with that. Bear in mind that the gardai are not being total idiots about this. They might ask you to explain yourself, but that would be the extent of it. It would be a reasonable journey. Trampoline guy would have a far larger evidential mountain to climb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

Has there been any clarity on what types of retail premises can reopen on the 8th June. Mine is a small , street level shop with only one door, at the front, selling non essential items.

Advertisement