Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

km79 wrote: »
    I have a very specific question and sadly I’m fairly sure the answer is July 20th but want to be sure
    My wife has not seen her mother since March. She lives 30 km away in Galway city
    She is hoping to see her at start of phase 2 June 8th. This also happens to be around the time of her birthday so she was very happy .
    I broke the bad news to her earlier but I’m hoping I’m wrong
    I think we are 10k too far away and it will be end of July which will be very tough on her . Her mother is in her early 60s

Do both households have a car?
    After 8th June, ye can each travel up to 20 kms and meet up halfway as long as ye maintain social distance when you do meet. That way both households stay within their 20 km limit.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7ae99f-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-june-8-phase-2/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

vicwatson wrote: »
    Saw a couple of NVD trucks today delivering new cars to garages, is this allowed under the essential services list?

I just heard on radio today that there is no date for car sales showrooms to reopen hence the question.

Call the Stasi and report them, comrade.

Or leave them to get on with their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

odyssey06 wrote: »
    After 8th June, ye can each travel up to 20 kms and meet up halfway as long as ye maintain social distance when you do meet. That way both households stay within their 20 km limit.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7ae99f-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-june-8-phase-2/

No they don’t sadly
    City slickers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

vicwatson wrote: »
    So they can? Definitively?

Yes a business who sells online(currently how car dealers operate) can order new stock.

Is that how it will work though? These distance restrictions are currently about exercise only. Other regulations are not distance restricted within reason.
    It has not been stated what the distance will be on new regulations that have nothing to do with exercise. The other activities may not have any distance restriction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Just so ye know lads - in case you've never watched it - the daily briefing is on now on RTE News Now.

Is that how it will work though? These distance regulations are currently about exercise only.
    It has not been stated what the distance will be on new regulations that have nothing to do with exercise. The other activities may not have any distance restriction.

Oh right yeah maybe so
    My son actually had quite an urgent dental procedure with the HSE cancelled in March so if that’s rescheduled we will have to go in to Galway city
    Other lads glasses are hanging on by a thread too so a trip to optician will be needed fairly soon . But hopefully not too soon !

Oh right yeah maybe so
    My son actually had quite an urgent dental procedure with the HSE cancelled in March so if that’s rescheduled we will have to go in to Galway city
    Other lads glasses are hanging on by a thread too so a trip to optician will be needed fairly soon . But hopefully not too soon !

Yeah things are still unclear all I can say for sure it that right now the distance regulation is only for exercise. Anything else you can legally do is not distance restricted. However a Garda may tell you to go home if you are going to food shops that are in a town that is not the nearest one to you.
    They have not stated that these distances would apply to new things as they open up. It could be very unfair if it did as people in urban areas could do way more than those in rural areas.
    I hope we get clarification on it soon. It's possible that visiting a relative may not have a distance restriction when that becomes permissible.

What you have listed would be essential and I'm fairly sure you could do it right now if you could get an appointment.
    AFAIK opticians are still open but have cancelled most non emergency care. That was by choice as they felt it was the safe thing to do, so maybe give them a call.

Yeah things are still unclear all I can say for sure it that right now the distance regulation is only for exercise and they have not stated that these distances would apply to new things as they open up. It could be very unfair if it did as people in urban areas could do way more than those in rural areas.
    I hope we get clarification on it soon.

What you have listed would be essential and I'm fairly sure you could do it right now if you could get an appointment.
    AFAIK opticians are still open but have cancelled most non emergency care. That was by choice as they felt it was the safe thing to do, so maybe give them a call.

Thanks for that
    It is not urgent yet and I want to continue to do my bit giving the progress that is being made.
    Good to know they may be open if it comes to it though

No worries, don't leave it too long. Dental and opticians are considered essential even if not emergencies. Get in contact and see how soon you can get an appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is that how it will work though? These distance restrictions are currently about exercise only. Other regulations are not distance restricted within reason.

Hmm, I assumed social visits would fall into the same "non essential" category as exercise and so be under the 20 km restriction.
    But even in the detailed PDF on the gov.ie website it doesn't spell it out either way:
    https://assets.gov.ie/73722/ffd17d70fbb64b498fd809dde548f411.pdf

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Hmm, I assumed social visits would fall into the same "non essential" category as exercise and so be under the 20 km restriction.
    But even in the detailed PDF on the gov.ie website it doesn't spell it out either way:
    https://assets.gov.ie/73722/ffd17d70fbb64b498fd809dde548f411.pdf

Is it a social visit or will you be bringing essential provisions to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Had 2 different messages in the last couple of days from 2 different friends both saying that they intend to visit elderly Parents after the 18th. These Parents would be 2-3 hours drive away. Both friends have kids (all Primary age) who they will be bringing and will be staying overnight.
    Parents have other Adult children living v close by so not essential as such.

I haven't seen my Mum since February mid-Term. She lives 3.5 hours drive from us. By my reading of the Restrictions I shouldn't travel to see her until after July 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭phormium

I have family 3 hrs away too and while I know it's mid July before that sort of journey is allowed I would actually prefer to visit early/mid June and not just to see them earlier but I would personally feel a lot safer at that stage as they have been pretty isolated as I have myself. Once more stuff opens and more circulation it will be less safe so I'd like to get my first visit done nice and early and then sit tight again for a while to see how it's all panning out.

If I take a chance on going I will not be leaving my car on the journey, no garage coffees etc, just straight through. I would be going from a low numbers area to an even lower area so not near Dublin/Cork areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

phormium wrote: »
    I have family 3 hrs away too and while I know it's mid July before that sort of journey is allowed I would actually prefer to visit early/mid June and not just to see them earlier but I would personally feel a lot safer at that stage as they have been pretty isolated as I have myself. Once more stuff opens and more circulation it will be less safe so I'd like to get my first visit done nice and early and then sit tight again for a while to see how it's all panning out.

If I take a chance on going I will not be leaving my car on the journey, no garage coffees etc, just straight through. I would be going from a low numbers area to an even lower area so not near Dublin/Cork areas.

Just because it's allowed, doesn't mean it's safe. If the ability to visit is not until July it's probably because we won't know for sure if it's safe until then (ie it's pushed out that far to give time). Who knows what will happen before then.

I'm not saying this to be overly negative, but just bear in mind it *might* not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

On the 8th of June people are allowed visit family in small groups while keeping 2 metre distance . But at the same time the 20kms restriction is in place .
    So if you live 19kms away from your parents it no problem but if you live 33 kms away from them it is ? That makes no sense to me .You would drive the 19 or 33 kms in a car and not stop or get out of the car and only see the parents and there is no difference in how far away they actually are .

Phase two – 8 June
    With regard to community health measures, the document advises that during phase two the restriction on movement from a person’s home will be increased to 20km but unnecessary journeys should still be avoided.

Other guidance includes:

Visits to homes of over 70s and medically vulnerable by no more than a small number of people for a short period of time. People will have to wear gloves, face coverings and maintain social distancing.
    Up to four people may visit another household for a short period while maintaining strict social distancing.
    Slightly larger groups of people will be allowed to attend funerals.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    On the 8th of June people are allowed visit family in small groups while keeping 2 metre distance . But at the same time the 20kms restriction is in place .
    So if you live 19kms away from your parents it no problem but if you live 33 kms away from them it is ? That makes no sense to me .You would drive the 19 or 33 kms in a car and not stop or get out of the car and only see the parents and there is no difference in how far away they actually are .

Phase two – 8 June
    With regard to community health measures, the document advises that during phase two the restriction on movement from a person’s home will be increased to 20km but unnecessary journeys should still be avoided.

Other guidance includes:

Visits to homes of over 70s and medically vulnerable by no more than a small number of people for a short period of time. People will have to wear gloves, face coverings and maintain social distancing.
    Up to four people may visit another household for a short period while maintaining strict social distancing.
    Slightly larger groups of people will be allowed to attend funerals.

This is what is confusing me and my wife

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I believe the logic is that you're not forming clusters away from the original source. Let's say that someone from Dublin travels to a small town in the west of Ireland which has no active cases. All of a sudden there is a new outbreak in that locality.

If travel is limited to a certain distance at least it can be somewhat controlled. I'm not saying that I'm happy with the restriction, but I can see a logic behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

This is what is confusing me and my wife

Its not confusing, the limit on the travel distance is to slow down the spread.

20km is probably a bit of an arbitrary figure but there has to be one.

If people travel further clusters of the virus can travel further its that simple.

Conversely if you travel further then you risk bringing the virus in from further away.

Say for example the regulations set at 20km rather than 40km will save one persons life are you going to travel 40km or stick to your 20km?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

VonLuck wrote: »
    I believe the logic is that you're not forming clusters away from the original source. Let's say that someone from Dublin travels to a small town in the west of Ireland which has no active cases. All of a sudden there is a new outbreak in that locality.

If travel is limited to a certain distance at least it can be somewhat controlled. I'm not saying that I'm happy with the restriction, but I can see a logic behind it.

Thanks for the reply . I think the confusion surrounding this particular part of the road map will not be adhered to . People wont see the logic in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭phormium

kenmm wrote: »
    Just because it's allowed, doesn't mean it's safe. If the ability to visit is not until July it's probably because we won't know for sure if it's safe until then (ie it's pushed out that far to give time). Who knows what will happen before then.

I'm not saying this to be overly negative, but just bear in mind it *might* not be possible.

Which I why I said 'safer' :) I'd feel safer travelling to meet up before loads more stuff is opened up, who knows when it will ever be actually safe again.

I actually think the July 20th date would nearly need to be staggered otherwise the roads will be packed that day. Maybe it should be graduated with counties of low incidence allowing travel first but of course that sort of thinking doesn't go down well when unfortunately the bigger numbers are in the cities.

What's the story with the (non-)declaration of where you're going to self-isolate on arrival in Ireland? If you reside in Castleisland and fly back from your holidays into Farranfore and tell them you're on your way to Belfast, you won't have to complete any paperwork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

if I go to Germany in July as planned, my understanding based on the court case there and EU fundamental freedoms I will not be required to quarantine. On my return will I be required to quarantine? If yes, is there a legal base?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

if I go to Germany in July as planned, my understanding based on the court case there and EU fundamental freedoms I will not be required to quarantine. On my return will I be required to quarantine? If yes, is there a legal base?

Not yet it appears but it's under consideration. Bear in mind that no new legislation can be passed until a new government is formed.

Double post removed

jlm29 wrote: »
    The Gardas extra powers (or whatever they’re called), were only extended until the 18th also. Maybe after that they’ll be gone off the roads and we’re supposed to use our own cop on? That’s crazy though. So many people have none :(

You would have to assume that the powers will be extended again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

GazzaL wrote: »
    What's the story with the (non-)declaration of where you're going to self-isolate on arrival in Ireland? If you reside in Castleisland and fly back from your holidays into Farranfore and tell them you're on your way to Belfast, you won't have to complete any paperwork?

Yeah, right now, people can indeed get away with being assholes. They were talking on the radio about increased powers for gardaí today, precisely on this issue.

Yeah, right now, people can indeed get away with being assholes. They were talking on the radio about increased powers for gardaí today, precisely on this issue.

But is it a case that they can't close that loophole just like they can't close the loophole of people from the North being able to travel freely while everyone else isn't?

Basically if you live more than 20km from your parents it’s tough ****e and if you didn’t move far from home you get to see then then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

GazzaL wrote: »
    But is it a case that they can't close that loophole just like they can't close the loophole of people from the North being able to travel freely while everyone else isn't?

What they're doing right now is asking you nicely to fill in a form, saying where you will be self-isolating. 30% of people are lying, or not filling it in, or are putting in really vague details like "County Kerry".

Is there a way to stop that? Well - you could have a garda sat there, demanding your name and address. AFAICR, you have to give your details to a garda when requested?

The NI question, I dunno. I'd be inclined to be going that we (and NI) have to do something to stop cross-infection, and I'd have the guards and PSNI cooperating on this, swapping info, and have the PSNI arresting/fining the nordies when they go back, and the gardaí doing it down here.

Advertisement