Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If I can order pointless carp from Amazon and have the postal service or courier deliver it I don't see why they wouldn't be able to take in new stock for cars.
    Dealers are still selling cars online.

Main dealers are selling Cars online? Who buys a car without checking it over, test driving it etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

So your logic is akin to- ‘the gardai didn’t solve a crime so I don’t have to follow the law anymore’?

As I said- in the end it’s up to you what you do but you’re part of the problem it seems.

Also people are receiving treatment for non covid illness- my dad had a stroke 5 weeks ago and is receiving treatment.

You need to take it easy on the Gemma O Doherty conspiracy theories

It's been well documented in the media, including RTE, that people are not receiving treatment that they need. Private hospitals are 75% empty. The College of GPs and doctors in private hospitals have repeatedly expressed their concern at what is going on. You can choose to ignore the facts and take cheap shots trying to denigrate me, but you're only denigrating yourself.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Main dealers are selling Cars online? Who buys a car without checking it over, test driving it etc etc?

Are you looking to buy a car or are you looking to cause trouble for a garage trying to make an honest living? If the former, you'd probably have bought one by now if you put your mind to it. If that latter, why do you see it as your business to interfere with someone else's business?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

GazzaL wrote: »
    It's been well documented in the media, including RTE, that people are not receiving treatment that they need. Private hospitals are 75% empty. The College of GPs and doctors in private hospitals have repeatedly expressed their concern at what is going on. You can choose to ignore the facts and take cheap shots trying to denigrate me, but you're only denigrating yourself.

People reporting to hospitals are down to a number of factors- less booze, less sport which both lead to less fights & falls.
    Less work/exertion has led to less pressure on people’s hearts.

I’ve given you an example of someone in my family who is getting treatment so your statement is incorrect.

It is funny that you are using the concern of medical professionals as the basis of one of your points when all along you’ve been saying that they are completely discredited. You’re going to make yourself dizzy soon

People reporting to hospitals are down to a number of factors- less booze, less sport which both lead to less fights & falls.
    Less work/exertion has led to less pressure on people’s hearts.

I’ve given you an example of someone in my family who is getting treatment so your statement is incorrect.

It is funny that you are using the concern of medical professionals as the basis of one of your points when all along you’ve been saying that they are completely discredited. You’re going to make yourself dizzy soon

I've given you examples from the mainstream media, from medical professionals and medical bodies themselves. Are you saying we shouldn't listen to medical professionals now? You're trying to twist things to suit your own narrative and ignoring reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

If you're being told that self-isolating after leaving the country is best practice - would you not just do it rather than looking for ways to be pointlessly pedantic about stuff?

And that is fine - you will have your views. Not everyone can afford to do this indefinitely. An approach that is out of step with our EU neighbours and anti business is why we will lose investment into this country - the investment we will need to try to rebuild this country. Risk based approach not this curtain twitching mantra to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 avilaloca97

Hey guys I was called for jury service before covid 19 happened I was due to appear in cour on the 25th of March, of course this didn't happen due to partial lockdown. Does anybody know if I will be called again at a later date again? Or will the pick a new jury for that trial? I emailed the courthouse and they were very vague and didn't really answer my question

Hey guys I was called for jury service before covid 19 happened I was due to appear in cour on the 25th of March, of course this didn't happen due to partial lockdown. Does anybody know if I will be called again at a later date again? Or will the pick a new jury for that trial? I emailed the courthouse and they were very vague and didn't really answer my question

Probably vague as they do not know yet. Best to wait and see.

I've given you examples from the mainstream media, from medical professionals and medical bodies themselves. Are you saying we shouldn't listen to medical professionals now? You're trying to twist things to suit your own narrative and ignoring reality.

I'm saying that you should always listen to medical professionals with regard to medical issues.

I have not said that what they are saying is incorrect - I have merely tried to apply some context to it but that context is completely of my own opinion.

Listen to the medical professionals with regard to what they say on numbers in hospital do likewise with regard to restrictions - it's that easy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Our neighbours welcome us with open arms, yet you expect us to lock ourselves in a room for 2 weeks on return to our own country?

It is a disaster for business travel. How are businesses meant to function if people have to lock themselves up under threat of arrest on return to Ireland?

Our neighbours now have the highest death rate in Europe from covid and are doing congas on the street.

So yes, if you want to go there, then I abso-f'n-lutely want you to self-isolate for two weeks when you come back. I'd rather you stayed there, to be honest.

• Advertisement

Our neighbours now have the highest death rate in Europe from covid and are doing congas on the street.

So yes, if you want to go there, then I abso-f'n-lutely want you to self-isolate for two weeks when you come back. I'd rather you stayed there, to be honest.

Why reference England? Why not look at our neighbours and friends in the EU, like Germany, where the Robert Koch Institute who are world leaders in virology have reported that their R0 is below 1 despite easing restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Question in relation to International travel.

Going by the Roadmap at the moment- is International Travel allowed after July 20th or August 10th ?

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,411 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Question in relation to International travel.
    Going by the Roadmap at the moment- is International Travel allowed after July 20th or August 10th ?
    TIA.

Neither as it stands, as in, it's not listed in the detailed roadmap with any specific dates.
    https://assets.gov.ie/73722/ffd17d70fbb64b498fd809dde548f411.pdf

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Why reference England? Why not look at our neighbours and friends in the EU, like Germany, where the Robert Koch Institute who are world leaders in virology have reported that their R0 is below 1 despite easing restrictions.

The number has risen to above 1 since restrictions were lifted.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0510/1137562-germany-coronavirus/

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Neither as it stands, as in, it's not listed in the detailed roadmap with any specific dates.
    https://assets.gov.ie/73722/ffd17d70fbb64b498fd809dde548f411.pdf

So it would be later than Aug 10th then - in a further phase yet to be outlined ?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭- bo -

I am self-employed (sole trader). I may need to travel from Meath to Armagh next week to collect some material. It is being shipped to there from across the water because the company in England won't ship to Ireland.

Am I ok to travel up? I mean if I'm stopped, I can't really furnish anyone with a letter from an employer since I work for myself. I can have proof of self-employment alright. I'd consider it essential travel since I need this material to fulfil orders for work.

- bo - wrote: »
    I am self-employed (sole trader). I may need to travel from Meath to Armagh next week to collect some material. It is being shipped to there from across the water because the company in England won't ship to Ireland.

Am I ok to travel up? I mean if I'm stopped, I can't really furnish anyone with a letter from an employer since I work for myself. I can have proof of self-employment alright. I'd consider it essential travel since I need this material to fulfil orders for work.

Write a letter to yourself authorising yourself to carry out this essential task. You presumably have some sort of a company type arrangement even if an umbrella company or you as a director.

So it would be later than Aug 10th then - in a further phase yet to be outlined ?

It's unclear, the roadmap makes vague references to mandatory quarantine and co-ordination of travel arrangements with other countries.

It's only in Phase 4 that travelling outside your region within Ireland is permitted, and in Phase 5 that Non-resident tourist travel to offshore islands can resume.
    So to be consistent I'd expect later than August 10th, unless there's some common EU approach agreed.

And remember those dates can shift in either direction depending on well the situation is under control.

It's unclear, the roadmap makes vague references to mandatory quarantine and co-ordination of travel arrangements with other countries.

It's only in Phase 4 that travelling outside your region within Ireland is permitted, and in Phase 5 that Non-resident tourist travel to offshore islands can resume.
    So to be consistent I'd expect later than August 10th, unless there's some common EU approach agreed.

That makes sense. Thanks.

- bo - wrote: »

Any documentation related to the order would also be useful - you'll probably have that with you, but thought I'd mention it.

• Advertisement

Write a letter to yourself authorising yourself to carry out this essential task. You presumably have some sort of a company type arrangement even if an umbrella company or you as a director.

Cheers for the reply. I'm a one man band! Just thinking, I could maybe show proof of delivery for the goods to Armagh and have my certificate of registration of self-employment on me.

Any documentation related to the order would also be useful - you'll probably have that with you, but thought I'd mention it.

Ah, I'd just mentioned that in the follow-up post there. Cheers, good shout!

Our Supreme leader says no in July

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/holohan-warns-against-booking-holidays-despite-move-by-airlines-39202539.html

He has no right to say this so definitively.

Aer Lingus is allowing free changes of flights up until end September. Booking.com is only listing refundable rates. There is no reason why you cannot make a booking and decide nearer the time whether it is ok or not. It is not without risks if Aer Lingus were to fail etc.

It dipping below after "several days" above it isn't exactly compelling evidence.

We'll need to have at least a decent sample size to make any real assessment here - it'd need to stay below 1 for 10/14 days or so after restrictions have been lifted to get an indication of whether it is working or not.

Otherwise we will get it below 1, lift restrictions and then see it rise again.

The lifting of restrictions led to a jump of almost 70% (from 0.65 to 1.1) from last Wednesday to Sunday, that's a big jump in fairness

Our neighbours welcome us with open arms, yet you expect us to lock ourselves in a room for 2 weeks on return to our own country?

It is a disaster for business travel. How are businesses meant to function if people have to lock themselves up under threat of arrest on return to Ireland?

I'm pretty sure most international companies aren't even contemplating business travel this year.

I'm pretty sure most international companies aren't even contemplating business travel this year.

Many are. Trade must continue. The show must go on.

It dipping below after "several days" above it isn't exactly compelling evidence.

We'll need to have at least a decent sample size to make any real assessment here - it'd need to stay below 1 for 10/14 days or so after restrictions have been lifted to get an indication of whether it is working or not.

Otherwise we will get it below 1, lift restrictions and then see it rise again.

The lifting of restrictions led to a jump of almost 70% (from 0.65 to 1.1) from last Wednesday to Sunday, that's a big jump in fairness

Again trying to twist things to suit your narrative. Their R number was only above 1 for three days. There's no point in you trying to discredit the Robert Koch Institute.

Many are. Trade must continue. The show must go on.

There isn't presently any business travel I'm guessing...(maybe medical). We don't even know how travelling to any country will work in 6 months time. So Ireland isn't currently unique in this respect at all.

• Advertisement

EU proposes three stage process for resumption of tourism within the bloc "to save summer holidays" - but no firm dates:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/eu-foreign-travel-5097961-May2020/

Advertisement