Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am trying to figure out if electronic shops (Currys PC) will re-open from 18th May?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

GazzaL wrote: »
    Are you looking to buy a car or are you looking to cause trouble for a garage trying to make an honest living? If the former, you'd probably have bought one by now if you put your mind to it. If that latter, why do you see it as your business to interfere with someone else's business?

I asked a question, if you don’t have the answer then don’t reply. It’s very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I am trying to figure out if electronic shops (Currys PC) will re-open from 18th May?

Thank you

Yes, open Monday next (assuming they are ready to go, but you can open according to the gov pathway)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thank you

Should be assuming they can meet the regs on distancing etc

Shops that can reopen:
    Shops that were previously open in Tier 2 (for example: homeware, opticians, motor, bicycle and repair, office products, electrical, IT, phone sales and repair) can open.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you so much
    odyssey06 wrote: »

Shops that can reopen:
    Shops that were previously open in Tier 2 (for example: homeware, opticians, motor, bicycle and repair, office products, electrical, IT, phone sales and repair) can open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Shops that can reopen:

I was assuming that furniture shops count as homeware, but someone told me they don’t and won’t be open until later, does anyone know for sure? Most furniture shops are massive, would be easy to maintain distance, but then deliveries will not be possible if they need two to lift I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has there been a shift in belief about how to get 'back to normal' over the last few days?

We often hear how the media do what they are told, tow the government line etc, but to be fair to them they seem to be asking more questions of late. Showing us how other countries are doing things faster than us .....

And Leo and his big statement about the schools today. Perhaps this is the start of things moving faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

NIMAN wrote: »
    Has there been a shift in belief about how to get 'back to normal' over the last few days?

We often hear how the media do what they are told, tow the government line etc, but to be fair to them they seem to be asking more questions of late. Showing us how other countries are doing things faster than us .....

And Leo and his big statement about the schools today. Perhaps this is the start of things moving faster?

Other countries can move faster because they have fewer cases pro rate. Except for England who are just reckless. Why do people compare with other countries without any actual reference to the extent of the disease?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I dont expect you to do anything other than follow the advice given by people who know a lot more about the medical profession than you or I.

I know its a disaster for business and would very much like things to get back to normal asap but I just dont get why people can't take an instruction on things and why the first inclination is to always, smugly, look for some way to engage in non compliance.

If you're asked to do it and informed that, at the moment, this is the best approach - then rather than looking for loopholes, could you not just do it?

On the business side of things - the majority of travel can be alleviated by calls for now - I had calls yesterday with a bank I deal with in the UK & in Prague.

But this has been the response of many Irish for some reason and has really annoyed me too. The mental gymnastics some people will engage in to avoid doing what is recommended is dizzying. Oh but I am two kilometres from home but as the crow flies. I have to drive to this shop halfway across the country because the local one has floor tiles I am allergic to. What about if I have to go out because my dog got stung on the áss by a bee and he needs a frisbee to cheer him up. On and fúcking on and on, instead of just being compliant for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Again trying to twist things to suit your narrative. Their R number was only above 1 for three days. There's no point in you trying to discredit the Robert Koch Institute.

They lifted the restrictions are their R number jumped substantially - it has gone above 1 on & off and is still a good bit higher than it was before restrictions were lifted.

So the lifting of restrictions has had led to a relatively sharp short term increase - what I am saying is see how this develops over a period of 2 week and then we can decide whether lifting restrictions was correct or not.

You need to analyse the trend as well as the absolute value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

Many are. Trade must continue. The show must go on.

I work for a large MNC and business travel has been banned for the entirety of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Antares35 wrote: »
    The mental gymnastics some people will engage in to avoid doing what is recommended is dizzying. Oh but I am two kilometres from home but as the crow flies.

That is exactly how the 2km thing works. It's a 2km radius from your house.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Antares35 wrote: »
    But this has been the response of many Irish for some reason and has really annoyed me too. The mental gymnastics some people will engage in to avoid doing what is recommended is dizzying. Oh but I am two kilometres from home but as the crow flies. I have to drive to this shop halfway across the country because the local one has floor tiles I am allergic to. What about if I have to go out because my dog got stung on the áss by a bee and he needs a frisbee to cheer him up. On and fúcking on and on, instead of just being compliant for a few weeks.

The vast majority of people have been super compliant and have made incredible sacrifices for 9 weeks at this stage. Many of these people will not have jobs to go back to, will have businesses that will have failed, construction sites will not open again, and they don’t know if and when schools will open. Meanwhile there are curtain twitchers watching what people are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kris74

My husband hopes to play golf ( within 5 km ) with 2 others ( just outside > 5 km) this weekend .Is that acceptable? Might he be turned away .He thinks because it’s” outside “ that it’s fine ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Kris74 wrote: »
    My husband hopes to play golf ( within 5 km ) with 2 others ( just outside > 5 km) this weekend .Is that acceptable? Might he be turned away .He thinks because it’s” outside “ that it’s fine ...

I think he should enjoy his game of golf. Will be good for his mental well being and not worry if someone else is just outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

you cant catch it outside if being sensible , Tennis is a risk because you have 2 people repeatedly sweating and picking up the same ball. Golf is good

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Guys ..oops if this has been asked before ..but when do clothes shops open again?

I thought that golf clubs etc wouldn’t be open until Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

I assume you mean next weekend, as clubs can’t open until Monday?

Officially, your husband is fine, but his friends aren’t. Whether or not they will be stopped is a separate issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

almostover wrote: »
    I work for a large MNC and business travel has been banned for the entirety of 2020.

Business air travel has plummeted to an absolute standstill.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

jlm29 wrote: »
    I was assuming that furniture shops count as homeware, but someone told me they don’t and won’t be open until later, does anyone know for sure? Most furniture shops are massive, would be easy to maintain distance, but then deliveries will not be possible if they need two to lift I suppose!

I assume so based on the below - but fair point on deliveries:

IKEA has announced that it will reopen its two Dublin outlets next week if the government decides to begins phase one of its roadmap for easing lockdown restrictions.
    The Swedish furniture giant said it would introduce several measures to ensure the well-being of customers and staff at its outlets in Ballymun and Carrickmines, based on official guidance.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ikea-reopening-dublin-covid-19-5098638-May2020/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I assume so based on the below - but fair point on deliveries:

IKEA has announced that it will reopen its two Dublin outlets next week if the government decides to begins phase one of its roadmap for easing lockdown restrictions.
    The Swedish furniture giant said it would introduce several measures to ensure the well-being of customers and staff at its outlets in Ballymun and Carrickmines, based on official guidance.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ikea-reopening-dublin-covid-19-5098638-May2020/

I’d say people will be swarming there on Monday. I wanted a few bits from IKEA but it couldn’t be delivered because it was heavy and needed two to lift. I wonder what will be the story with ikea deliveries now

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

xl500 wrote: »
    Germany having increases and that in a population that obeys rules
    Nah, the article isn't really accurate. Germany reported quite a few isolated clusters from abbatoirs and nursing homes that predated any lifting of restrictions. It messed with their modelling for a day or two, but it's settled back down.

FYI; the express the fiercely nationalist British tabloid, so won't at all delay any attempt to take a potshot at Germany, France, the EU or Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

jlm29 wrote: »
    I thought that golf clubs etc wouldn’t be open until Monday?
    Yeah, it's definitely not until Monday. Don't play myself, but many clubs use an online booking system. So, you can't just show up anyway.

They aren't policing the 5km rule though. That came down from the golfing union. Leaving it up to people themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 avilaloca97

Is operation fanacht still a thing? Are there still garda checkpoints? And will there be after Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Is operation fanacht still a thing? Are there still garda checkpoints? And will there be after Monday?

There's a whole other thread dedicated to this. I was last stopped on Monday morning.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yes, yes and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jdall

I was wondering if there are any travel exceptions for landlords who have to do repairs or maintenance on a property outside of the 5k radius?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Only essential travel is delivery of emergency services to homes on an emergency call-out basis in areas such as electrical, plumbing, glazing and roofing.

Are you doing emergency repairs? It doesn't sound like it.

Advertisement