Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The 5k is for exercise only, not for doing jobs or shopping or anything else. Feel like a broken record at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

TheChizler wrote: »
    The 5k is for exercise only, not for doing jobs or shopping or anything else. Feel like a broken record at this stage.

Not quite - it also restricts ANY travel to only "essential" journeys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I havent seen any checkpoints and the guards arent even breaking up large groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the purpose of the journey is to facilitate an emergency repair, then it's not an issue, you can travel as far you need to get it done.

"Emergency" being something that poses a serious risk of injury or financial loss. I know one property manager who's had tenants calling to ask for mundane repairs like their coat hook fallng off the wall :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jdall

Thanks all. For the record, I’m not opposed to any of the current restrictions, I just wasn’t sure where the law stands on emergency type repairs for landlords.

My current issue is a backed up sewage line that I can fix. I might drop into the local Garda station to get full clarification and maybe a note from them just in case I hit a checkpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jdall wrote: »
    Thanks all. For the record, I’m not opposed to any of the current restrictions, I just wasn’t sure where the law stands on emergency type repairs for landlords.

My current issue is a backed up sewage line that I can fix. I might drop into the local Garda station to get full clarification and maybe a note from them just in case I hit a checkpoint.

Gardai won't give you anything (tried that myself). You'll be told it depends on who you get on the checkpoint.

Just say that you're going to repair a blocked sewage line in your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Not quite - it also restricts ANY travel to only "essential" journeys.
    Put it this way, there is no distance restriction for essential journeys. There is a distance restriction for non-essential journeys, it's 0 km. If you are exercising you may travel up to 5 km to do it. 5 km is for exercise and nothing else.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/covid19_what_you_need_to_do.html

I feel like I'm nitpicking at this stage but lots of people are using it as an excuse to do anything they want within 5 km, like visit family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I might drop into the local Garda station to get full clarification and maybe a note from them just in case I hit a checkpoint.
    Don't waste your time tbh.
    If you get stopped a checkpoint, tell them where you're going. They'll likely let you go through.

If not, they'll just send you home. Go home, and go again in a few hours. You'd be super unlucky to hit two checkpoints in a day unless you're travelling across the country.

seamus wrote: »
    If you get stopped a checkpoint, tell them where you're going. They'll likely let you go through.

If not, they'll just send you home. Go home, and go again in a few hours. You'd be super unlucky to hit two checkpoints in a day unless you're travelling across the country.

I will be traveling across the country. Ground needs to dug up for a new section of pipe so it’s way more cost effective to travel and do it myself. Fortunately I already have all the supplies as I had planned to fix just before Covid. Think I’ll just leave early in the morning to hopefully avoid checkpoints.

I was wondering if there are any travel exceptions for landlords who have to do repairs or maintenance on a property outside of the 5k radius?

Thanks in advance.

Are the repairs emergency? If so you are allowed. Construction is also to be allowed from monday, in which case will also be allowed

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »

I will be traveling across the country. Ground needs to dug up for a new section of pipe so it’s way more cost effective to travel and do it myself. Fortunately I already have all the supplies as I had planned to fix just before Covid. Think I’ll just leave early in the morning to hopefully avoid checkpoints.

I think if you are not going near any tourist spots etc. early morning might be the most likely time to be stopped as they try to catch people sneaking out. In the afternoon they will be focusing on the areas where crowds are likely to congregate

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

"
    Meeting small groups outside
    Up to 4 people who don't live together can meet outdoors while keeping at least 2 metres apart.
    "

Does outside include back gardens?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

fred252 wrote: »
    "
    Up to 4 people who don't live together can meet outdoors while keeping at least 2 metres apart.
    "

Don't see why not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Beasty wrote: »
    Don't see why not

Just pray to god they don't happen to meet each other walking through the house to the back garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,407 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ooops! Better delay any visits to IKEA:

Cabinet set to approve easing of restrictions, but homeware stores not permitted to open
    https://www.thejournal.ie/phase-one-easing-restrictions-cabinet-5099611-May2020/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Kris74 wrote: »
    My husband hopes to play golf ( within 5 km ) with 2 others ( just outside > 5 km) this weekend .Is that acceptable? Might he be turned away .He thinks because it’s” outside “ that it’s fine ...

If the 3 live within 5kms of the golf course they aren't breaking any rules. (from Monday 18th)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

fred252 wrote: »
    "
    "

Yes, but they really don't want the others inside the household, using the jacks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Calling in to the guards is unnecessary and you shouldn't do it. (They have phones now!)

Clearing a blocked sewage pipe is essential, go do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

sasta le wrote: »
    I havent seen any checkpoints and the guards arent even breaking up large groups.

Hopefully that's because you're staying in?

I've been making two trips a week from my house to the city centre. Some days I won't hit a single checkpoint (though I've seen them in the distance or other side of the road, some of those days). Other days, I've passed through four checkpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Calling in to the guards is unnecessary and you shouldn't do it. (They have phones now!)

Clearing a blocked sewage pipe is essential, go do it.

If a blocked sewage pipe is not fixed then it can potentially be a public health hazard. In normal times if you did not fix it a tenant would be ringing up Joe Duffy calling you a bad landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I again need to travel to a vacant property of mine asap to maintain the garden and check that the place hasn't been robbed. I'll go after Monday when builders and gardeners are allowed return to work and I will have a lawnmower in the car. If i'm stopped it will be utter nonsense if I'm turned back because i'm not "working" as a gardener.

Will bring some sewer rods with me as well and keep that in my back pocket as an excuse too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

sasta le wrote: »

Up to this week, every time I was down in St Annes Park D5 (normally twice a day for a few hours), I would see Garda cars or the van going through the place. Haven't seen them once this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

I need to get a local tradesman to replace a Triton shower at a rental property.
    with hardware shops opening on Monday, can that job now be carried out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

sk8board wrote: »
    I need to get a local tradesman to replace a Triton shower at a rental property.
    with hardware shops opening on Monday, can that job now be carried out?

Technically I think not as the Taoiseach was going on yesterday about indoor work and then starting blabbing on about big construction projects being indoor and outdoor. Perhaps use common sense and call it a “construction project”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

Technically I think not as the Taoiseach was going on yesterday about indoor work and then starting blabbing on about big construction projects being indoor and outdoor. Perhaps use common sense and call it a “construction project”.

I was thinking the same.
    I think it could easily be considered essential maintenance - I’m thinking I’ll call the plumber and see what he thinks. He lives very closeby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

My two are 5 and 8 and in previous years would spend most summer days out on the green playing with their friends. Obviously this is not happening now.

In theory from what I can see they will be allowed out to play in a group of 4 from Monday, but only while maintaining strict social distancing, which I can't see young kids managing unsupervised. Our two are careful about this, but we would have to trust everyone else's kids to maintain their distance also.

I'm looking at the future phases, and I really don't see how it's going to happen this summer. The issue will always be we need to trust all the kids in the estate to have enough sense to social distance at all times, which isn't realistic.

Sad as it is, I have a feeling they will stay indoors, or go out with family only, for the whole summer.
    It makes it even more difficult as most other kids' parents are not taking the same approach and many are out playing together.

How are other people dealing with this? Are we being overly strict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Some children are playing out here, 3 or 4 between 3 and 11. It’s good to see them out but I have to admit that the estate has never been so litter free and tidy these last 8 weeks since it was built 20 years ago.
    I never noticed it before. I’m very naive. I thought the litter came from people throwing stuff out of cars.
    Turns out it must have been the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

They really need it for their mental health and happiness.
    But I'm probably not ready to let them yet. They're not the kind who'd just kick a ball back and forward, they'll want to be running and tumbling.

Advertisement