Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,407 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Maybe we'll see the concept of 'social bubble' come into play here if it works out ok elsewhere but for now it's not in scope of our roadmap:
    https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/08/coronavirus-what-is-the-science-behind-the-social-bubble-solution-for-virus-containment

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

fjon wrote: »
    My two are 5 and 8 and in previous years would spend most summer days out on the green playing with their friends. Obviously this is not happening now.

In theory from what I can see they will be allowed out to play in a group of 4 from Monday, but only while maintaining strict social distancing, which I can't see young kids managing unsupervised. Our two are careful about this, but we would have to trust everyone else's kids to maintain their distance also.

I'm looking at the future phases, and I really don't see how it's going to happen this summer. The issue will always be we need to trust all the kids in the estate to have enough sense to social distance at all times, which isn't realistic.

Sad as it is, I have a feeling they will stay indoors, or go out with family only, for the whole summer.
    It makes it even more difficult as most other kids' parents are not taking the same approach and many are out playing together.

How are other people dealing with this? Are we being overly strict?

Italy is opening in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

My two are 5 and 8 and in previous years would spend most summer days out on the green playing with their friends. Obviously this is not happening now.

In theory from what I can see they will be allowed out to play in a group of 4 from Monday, but only while maintaining strict social distancing, which I can't see young kids managing unsupervised. Our two are careful about this, but we would have to trust everyone else's kids to maintain their distance also.

I'm looking at the future phases, and I really don't see how it's going to happen this summer. The issue will always be we need to trust all the kids in the estate to have enough sense to social distance at all times, which isn't realistic.

Sad as it is, I have a feeling they will stay indoors, or go out with family only, for the whole summer.
    It makes it even more difficult as most other kids' parents are not taking the same approach and many are out playing together.

How are other people dealing with this? Are we being overly strict?

We have a 6 and 4 year old here. We bring them out every day for a walk, cycle, kick about etc. They play in the back garden together, but aren’t left out the front unsupervised.

There are about 12 families with kids around here and the majority are doing similar. There are 4 households who not only allow their kids to mix, but the kids are generally unsupervised.

This upsets my (and some neighbours) kids as they feel it’s unfair that some of their friends can go out and they can’t. Despite that we will be sticking with the advice given. It does help that their best friends are among those who aren’t out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Benimar wrote: »

This upsets my (and some neighbours) kids as they feel it’s unfair that some of their friends can go out and they can’t. Despite that we will be sticking with the advice given. It does help that their best friends are among those who aren’t out either.

Same, this is hard to deal with, they feel it's very unfair that we are keeping them from playing with their friends while other parents don't. But we are also sticking with it

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Ooops! Better delay any visits to IKEA:

Cabinet set to approve easing of restrictions, but homeware stores not permitted to open
    https://www.thejournal.ie/phase-one-easing-restrictions-cabinet-5099611-May2020/

Now is not the time to buy flat pack furniture and overrated Swedish meatballs. It’s too risky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Same, this is hard to deal with, they feel it's very unfair that we are keeping them from playing with their friends while other parents don't. But we are also sticking with it

Oh it’s awful. I had to go to SuperValu the other day to get a couple of bits that couldn’t wait until my big shop tomorrow. I left my kids in the car for the couple of min, told them they’re not allowed in. When I got back, my 4 yr old couldn’t tell me fast enough that he saw children going into the shop. And my eight yr old told me he saw a couple of whole families go in. Lesson learned by me. Don’t forget anything tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

jlm29 wrote: »
    Oh it’s awful. I had to go to SuperValu the other day to get a couple of bits that couldn’t wait until my big shop tomorrow. I left my kids in the car for the couple of min, told them they’re not allowed in. When I got back, my 4 yr old couldn’t tell me fast enough that he saw children going into the shop. And my eight yr old told me he saw a couple of whole families go in. Lesson learned by me. Don’t forget anything tomorrow

Single parents have no option but to bring their kids with them, though. Could have been that...

Single parents have no option but to bring their kids with them, though. Could have been that...

Oh I know. I’m not complaining that the kids were in the shop, just that my kids saw them there and couldn’t understand why I’ve been telling them kids aren’t allowed in at all. So I won’t let them see that again :D!
    But also, I did see a couple of adults with teenage children in the shop that day. Only one person needs to go in usually.
    I do think people think it’s all over now. More and more easing of restrictions in people’s heads... a woman know posted photos of a “lovely day out” on Facebook the other day, with two families. zero social distancing. 5kids between them. Even if I was going that, I wouldn’t be telling the world. But it’s acceptable now it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We have done our bit , 7 weeks of tough restrictions , queuing in shops , staying indoors , washing hands , staying away from family etc
    Now people know the R is low and under one , the hospital are under capacity , the numbers are dropping .
    We know we did our bit and suffered the consequences . The tougher and longer the restrictions are the less people will comply .
    The 5 kms is ridiculous and people breaking it because it’s ridiculous
    The children have been the bogey man for too long and now people are realising the kids are suffering and need to be out and playing with others . People are using common sense now and understanding that the restrictions cannot go on forever and we have to face that fact and move forward .
    I personally am at that stage , I will be careful , wear masks , wash hands , stay out of crowds but am damned if I cant see my grandchildren and they are coming to my back garden and playing here . The kids need us , we need them .
    Everyone I know is using common sense and doing whats right for their family

“Common sense” to suit themselves is what’s killing people.

• Advertisement

Is it ? No , crowed accommodations and people meeting in crowds is
    Meeting family in a garden spread out over the garden is not . Driving 10 kms to see your mother instead of 5 kms is not killing people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

People not being diagnosed or treated for non-COVID illnesses because we're paying €115m per month to keep private hospitals empty is what's killing people.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Meeting family in a garden spread out over the garden is not . Driving 10 kms to see your mother instead of 5 kms is not killing people

Shouldn’t be driving the other 5. You’re all part of the problem. Simply because you’re picking and choosing what suits yourself. Most Irish people are extremely selfish that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Everyone I know is using common sense and doing whats right for their family

The problem is, many people severely lack common sense. I met a work van on the road yesterday morning with three fellas sitting up front on the bench seat. I understand the need to get back to work but how do you socially distance in a work van?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you have to travel check the traffic on Google maps. Stop every now & then & check again. The checkpoints stand out & are often easy to spot.

Discodog wrote: »
    If you have to travel check the traffic on Google maps. Stop every now & then & check again. The checkpoints stand out & are often easy to spot.

Probably be a good idea for Google to remove the traffic data for the next while. They should have already really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Shouldn’t be driving the other 5. You’re all part of the problem. Simply because you’re picking and choosing what suits yourself. Most Irish people are extremely selfish that way.

Part of what problem?
    COVID rates are dropping rapidly as is the R number.

How do you know other countries wouldn't have an issue with people ignoring 5 month travel restrictions to see their families or loved ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Probably be a good idea for Google to remove the traffic data for the next while. They should have already really.

Good idea, it'll seem like there's no traffic there and encourage more people to get out and break the restrictions. I like they way you're thinking.

Really good. Let's celebrate starting to relax the regulations by imposing even more draconian law.

Really good. Let's celebrate starting to relax the regulations by imposing even more draconian law.

No more being imposed, just enforcing what’s there already. If people weren’t such selfish bastards then it wouldn’t be needed anyway.

• Advertisement

No more being imposed, just enforcing what’s there already. If people weren’t such selfish bastards then it wouldn’t be needed anyway.

Rubbish. There's nothing illegal about Google maps.

Rubbish. There's nothing illegal about Google maps.

Doesn’t mean it should be used to snake your way around checkpoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Doesn’t mean it should be used to snake your way around checkpoints.

Just ignore him he has been making up his own rules so he can go out and push a lawn mower around since day one, he's not going to change now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

How many times do people need to be told - the distance restrictions were only ever for exercise.

Seeing your mother (especially if she's elderly) is what's killing people.

Sister-in-law's father died from it yesterday. But sure - don't be listening to the experts, sure what would they know. You do you. Be grand, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

If they HAVE to travel then they have no reason to worry about checkpoints !

How many times do people need to be told - the distance restrictions were only ever for exercise.

Seeing your mother (especially if she's elderly) is what's killing people.

Sister-in-law's father died from it yesterday. But sure - don't be listening to the experts, sure what would they know. You do you. Be grand, like.

Seeing your mother from 4 metres away is not going to kill her . Not seeing her at all just might . I don’t need lectures thanks my own mother died in February .

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Just ignore him he has been making up his own rules so he can go out and push a lawn mower around since day one, he's not going to change now.

And you are still trying to enforce a pointless agenda that would ensure that the country becomes bankrupt. I have been stopped plenty of times & the Gardai disagree with you. I have fully complied with the law.

I’ve been saying this repeatedly since March also. But Leo did say on the news on Friday that it’s ok to have outdoor gatherings of 4 people not from the same household If they are all within 5 KM of their homes. So it is being applied to social gatherings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Any idea if currys PC World are going to have mad number of customers today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Any idea if currys PC World are going to have mad number of customers today?

And has anyone got next weeks winning lotto numbers?

:)

Advertisement