Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Any idea if currys PC World are going to have mad number of customers today?

Probably?

Everyone who didn't manage to get a webcam or headset, or who found out their six-year-old rarely used laptop really isn't up to much, etc., will be there today.

Better off checking if local Irish-owned shops are open and trying there first, if you can - places like DID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Better off checking if local Irish-owned shops are open and trying there first, if you can - places like DID.

Why's that? The Irish ones will be less busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

kenmm wrote: »
    Why's that? The Irish ones will be less busy?

Possibly, also better to try to shop local at the moment.

bladespin wrote: »
    Possibly, also better to try to shop local at the moment.

This, but also, yeah, less busy. I've heard plenty of ads for the big foreign-owned places over the weekend, much less so from the smaller Irish chains, and none at all from the independents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Discodog wrote: »
    And you are still trying to enforce a pointless agenda that would ensure that the country becomes bankrupt. I have been stopped plenty of times & the Gardai disagree with you. I have fully complied with the law.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-what-we-know-so-far-about-lifting-the-lockdown-1.4242747
    Under the latest draft the first phase would:

-Allow outdoor workers such as builders and gardeners return to work.

LOL nah they haven't been off work because cutting grass is essential work :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭hello2020

is it allowed to get someone to help in cleaning the house?
    we used to have someone come in and clean the house once in a month before COVID started. now after phase 1 relaxation that person wants to come n do the cleaning. person wears gloves and mask and uses antibacterial sprays to clean around. Is this activity safe at this stage ?

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

Can you take a train in Ireland under the current circumstances? From Dublin Heuston to Cork for example? Under what circumstances would that be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

If the journey is deemed essential. That's the only criteria for going beyond 5km of your home at the moment.

talla10 wrote: »
    If the journey is deemed essential. That's the only criteria for going beyond 5km of your home at the moment.

To bring medicine to sick relatives or some such?

callmehal wrote: »
    To bring medicine to sick relatives or some such?

Yes that would be deemed essential

• Advertisement

Yes that would be deemed essential

But on a journey of this distance, would it be deemed acceptable for the person delivering the medicine to stay in the household?

But on a journey of this distance, would it be deemed acceptable for the person delivering the medicine to stay in the household?

I'm not sure TBH. After 8th June I know home visits are allowed. Delivering medicine could be done with no physical contact but I don't think anyone has the authority to remove you from the house once you are inside.

I'm not sure TBH. After 8th June I know home visits are allowed. Delivering medicine could be done with no physical contact but I don't think anyone has the authority to remove you from the house once you are inside.

Ok, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

hello2020 wrote: »
    is it allowed to get someone to help in cleaning the house?
    we used to have someone come in and clean the house once in a month before COVID started. now after phase 1 relaxation that person wants to come n do the cleaning. person wears gloves and mask and uses antibacterial sprays to clean around. Is this activity safe at this stage ?

I suppose I will ask the obvious question .... Do you not know how to clean up after yourself ?

My opinion is that ... It's safer for you and for the cleaner if you do not cross paths, but if you are happy to invite a person into your home and pay them and they are happy to accept your money and go into your home.....it's your decision.

The risks are obvious, either party could result in the other becoming infected, no matter how clean this person may be ... They may not be capable of an antibacterial/antiviral deep clean.

Use of antibacterial spray will have zero effect on a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

Is it as the crow flies or distance of journey (by road)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Crow flies

• Registered Users Posts: 82,338 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Good site for calculating the zone...
    https://2kmfromhome.com/5km/

If you and the person in the house are willing to risk one or both of your lives, then yeah, you can stay in the house.

A journey from Cork to Dublin to deliver medicine in my mind would be questionable, how urgent is this medicine that it cannot be delivered by a pharmacy in Dublin?

With the journey.... can the person traveling from cork guarantee that they are not in contact with a person who is transmitting Covid for the entire journey?

can they guarantee that they themselves are not transmitting it? They may not have symptoms but many people can be asymptomatic (not have any symptoms but capable of transmitting disease/virus).

Can the person living in Dublin guarantee they do not have Covid? Again same situation, they could be asymptomatic ?

Could either person enjoy the remainder of their life in the knowledge that the other persons death was most likely caused by their actions.... staying at home is the best way to ensure the virus doesn’t spread, but as I said earlier.... if both parties are happy to take the chance...go for it, what’s the worst that can happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If you and the person in the house are willing to risk one or both of your lives, then yeah, you can stay in the house.

A journey from Cork to Dublin to deliver medicine in my mind would be questionable, how urgent is this medicine that it cannot be delivered by a pharmacy in Dublin?

With the journey.... can the person traveling from cork guarantee that they are not in contact with a person who is transmitting Covid for the entire journey?

can they guarantee that they themselves are not transmitting it? They may not have symptoms but many people can be asymptomatic (not have any symptoms but capable of transmitting disease/virus).

Can the person living in Dublin guarantee they do not have Covid? Again same situation, they could be asymptomatic ?

Could either person enjoy the remainder of their life in the knowledge that the other persons death was most likely caused by their actions.... staying at home is the best way to ensure the virus doesn’t spread, but as I said earlier.... if both parties are happy to take the chance...go for it, what’s the worst that can happen ?

I think the medicine thing is only an excuse. The post said, "...to deliver medicine or some such."

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

If you really care so little for the person that you're willing to put their lives at risk for a spurious reason, and care so little for the people you'll inevitably interact with on the way - not to mention your own life - then sure, whatever, knock yourself out. JFC.

Stay at home, you effing muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I went into Cork city for the first time yesterday (essential) and Burger and the Shake dog diner were open with people eating in. How is that allowed? Burger king are slap bang in the middle of Patrick st not down some alley where they can hide and take a chance.

I went into Cork city for the first time yesterday (essential) and Burger and the Shake dog diner were open with people eating in. How is that allowed? Burger king are slap bang in the middle of Patrick st not down some alley where they can hide and take a chance.

I can’t be certain but Burger King in cork has the ability to arrange their seating so people are socially distant from each other, I would guess they are limiting the number of people inside, they could also limit entrance and exit routes to minimize the traffic flow of people, ie create a one way system for customers to walk in, order food and sit and/or leave without coming less than 2m from another person.

Is it possible that the people you witnessed sitting in were given their food in take away bags but chose to sit down (despite the advise not to) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I can’t be certain but Burger King in cork has the ability to arrange their seating so people are socially distant from each other, I would guess they are limiting the number of people inside, they could also limit entrance and exit routes to minimize the traffic flow of people, ie create a one way system for customers to walk in, order food and sit and/or leave without coming less than 2m from another person.

Is it possible that the people you witnessed sitting in were given their food in take away bags but chose to sit down (despite the advise not to) ?
    Possibly. I didn't notice that part but the 2 tables in Shake dog had trays so that was obviously was ordered to sit in. I don't have a big issue to be honest if they are keeping people away from each other it's more curiousity really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

Crow flies

Why is it as the crow flies as oppose to distance of journey? (As the risk occurs when possibly meeting people on said journey eg if u stop for fuel or to buy something.. or use a public loo)

Possibly. I didn't notice that part but the 2 tables in Shake dog had trays so that was obviously was ordered to sit in. I don't have a big issue to be honest if they are keeping people away from each other it's more curiousity really.

Odd. Restaurants aren't supposed to be open to eat in at for another few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Pubs that serve sandwiches. Could they argue for a restaurant licence?

I didn't put the full reasons why the travel must be done but what difference would it make between travelling now and a months time? What about 2 months time? 6 months? 1 year? How much more risk will there be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

sporina wrote: »
    Why is it as the crow flies as oppose to distance of journey? (As the risk occurs when possibly meeting people on said journey eg if u stop for fuel or to buy something.. or use a public loo)

The risk is, in theory, associated with being far away from home, not the route you took.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

I didn't put the full reasons why the travel must be done but what difference would it make between travelling now and a months time? What about 2 months time? 6 months? 1 year? How much more risk will there be?

Just go. Worst that happens is you will be turned around.
    Try not to lick any strangers and you will be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Stay at home, you effing muppet.
    Mod: rein it in a bit.

Advertisement