Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: rein it in a bit.

Sorry. Irks me when I see people trying to find spurious justifications for doing what they want that will put other people at risk.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Pubs that serve sandwiches. Could they argue for a restaurant licence?

Yes, they could.

They would have to make that argument in a court, with the associated paperwork, solicitor's costs and legal fees, and if they were trying to claim they were a restaurant because served sandwiches, their argument would fail and they'd be out of pocket.

But they could certainly make the argument...

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

Sorry. Irks me when I see people trying to find spurious justifications for doing what they want that will put other people at risk.

You don't know any of the details so you can relax yourself, it's an essential journey. An apology from you wouldn't be amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

YFlyer wrote: »
    Pubs that serve sandwiches. Could they argue for a restaurant licence?

The meal has to be substantial if you are talking about getting drink with it. When Eddie Rockets got a drink licence it was deemed that a single standard burger was a "substantial meal", I cannot find the definition.

Did find this though.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/act/16/section/7/enacted/en/html
    7.—(1) In this Act “special restaurant licence” means a licence granted by the Revenue Commissioners pursuant to a certificate of the Circuit Court given under section 8 of this Act to a person in respect of a restaurant of which he is the owner and occupier authorising, subject to the provisions of this Act—

(a) the supply of intoxicating liquor for consumption on those premises, and

(b) the consumption of intoxicating liquor on those premises,

if, in each case, the intoxicating liquor is—

(i) ordered by or on behalf of a person for whom a substantial meal has been ordered,

(ii) supplied in either the waiting area or the dining area of the restaurant,

(iii) consumed in the waiting area of the restaurant before the meal by the person for whom the meal has been ordered, or consumed by that person in the dining area of the restaurant either during the meal or at any time not later than thirty minutes after the meal has ended, and

(iv) paid for at the same time as the meal is paid for:

Provided always that suitable beverages other than intoxicating liquor (including drinking water) are also available for consumption.

So the boozehounds will have to be only taking little nibbles of that sandwich during their all day session.

The pubs will also have to watch out for people doing a runner, as they cannot pay for pints as they go (unless they got more substantial meals). The pubs could insist on payment in advance and give you a tab, like I have seen some pubs doing offers on pints before and gave you tokens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

callmehal wrote: »
    You don't know any of the details so you can relax yourself, it's an essential journey. An apology from you wouldn't be amiss.

It wasn't when you first asked the question or why else would you ask.

Looks like you have just decided now that it suits you to say its an essential journey.

• Advertisement

GinSoaked wrote: »
    It wasn't when you first asked the question or why else would you ask.

Looks like you have just decided now that it suits you to say its an essential journey.

How do you think it wasn't? I purposely didn't go into any detail. Put away the pitchforks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Even the blind dogs on the street know what's going on. It's quite amusing.

I'm off for a 3 day drinking session in my mates house, loads heading around to it, found out I just have to bring him some paracetamol for his hangover.

rubadub wrote: »
    Even the blind dogs on the street know what's going on. It's quite amusing.

I'm off for a 3 day drinking session in my mates house, loads heading around to it, found out I just have to bring him some paracetamol for his hangover.

Actually my mother has been living alone for the past few months. She's asked me to come down, says she needs the company as no one can visit her. But you give yourself a nice clap on the back, good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Actually my mother has been living alone for the past few months. She's asked me to come down, says she needs the company as no one can visit her. But you give yourself a nice clap on the back, good lad.

That's still in breach of current regulations?

Caranica wrote: »
    That's still in breach of current regulations?

Hence why I asked the question. Slow clap for caranica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Hence why I asked the question. Slow clap for caranica.

Well I guess if you don't care about possibly giving your mother the virus.... Off ya pop

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

If you need to go, then go. You don't need to justify yourself to a bunch of anonymous holy joes on the Internet.
    If my parent was in that situation, I wouldn't be giving it a second thought.

So as you admit later - it isn't an essential journey.

Your mam is lonely. Yes, I get that.

My kids would love to be off having the craic with their mates rather than going up the walls bored at home. Me too. Doesn't mean they can.

Your mam is still alive, at least. I've friends and relations who've been burying relatives.

But sure - travel to a train station, buy a ticket, head on a train journey, get to your mam's house. Be grand.

Seeing as you knew all the answers all along, why were you posting here, though?

Jackman25 wrote: »
    If you need to go, then go. You don't need to justify yourself to a bunch of anonymous holy joes on the Internet.
    If my parent was in that situation, I wouldn't be giving it a second thought.

You'd be telling her "Look, mam, I know it's tough, but if we all stick at this we'll get through it. That's better than me possibly infecting you, or you infecting me, so we'll grin and bear it"?

Right?

Another 11 deaths today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

rubadub wrote: »

It's worrying if you can't survive without a house party for a couple months.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

You'd be telling her "Look, mam, I know it's tough, but if we all stick at this we'll get through it. That's better than me possibly infecting you, or you infecting me, so we'll grin and bear it"?

Right?

Another 11 deaths today.

I'd be keeping social distance between us when I visit and I would be telling her, that we have more chance of being bitten by a rattlesnake than of either of us infecting the other and the distance restrictions are just a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yes, they could.

They would have to make that argument in a court, with the associated paperwork, solicitor's costs and legal fees, and if they were trying to claim they were a restaurant because served sandwiches, their argument would fail and they'd be out of pocket.

But they could certainly make the argument...

A costly argument.

What's the difference from making a journey this month to next month to the month after to next year? If there's no vaccine then isn't there always a risk? I'm on the train. :)

What's the difference from making a journey this month to next month to the month after to next year? If there's no vaccine then isn't there always a risk? I'm on the train. :)

If we all had your attitude then the question gets reversed with no vaccine how much longer will the pandemic last, but at least theres and answer to that - a lot longer than it needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

If we all had your attitude then the question gets reversed with no vaccine how much longer will the pandemic last, but at least theres and answer to that - a lot longer than it needs to.

Whats going to happen in two months time when travel restrictions are completely lifted then? What will be different to now? Why does it suddenly become safe to go beyond 20km?

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    Whats going to happen in two months time when travel restrictions are completely lifted then? What will be different to now? Why does it suddenly become safe to go beyond 20km?

So you never bothered staying in? If you did why did you bother?

Im not certain the travel restrictions made much difference once hygiene and social distancing was being observed.
    But you get that there is a difference now with community transmission almost entirely extinguished towards when we were getting hundreds of cases a day?

Yet again someone fails to answer, what difference will it make from today till next month, till 2 months or anytime up until a vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

VonLuck wrote: »
    The risk is, in theory, associated with being far away from home, not the route you took.

how is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Im not certain the travel restrictions made much difference once hygiene and social distancing was being observed.
    But you get that there is a difference now with community transmission almost entirely extinguished towards when we were getting hundreds of cases a day?

Hygiene and social distancing could never work 100%. Theres always going to be a cohort of people in society who don’t get it. The same people who think it’s ok not to bother washing their hands after using the toilet, who think it’s ok to eat of the spoons in salad bars in supermarkets etc. There are people who don’t care, people who can’t care (because of disability etc), people who can’t remember (dementia). At least with travel restrictions as well as social distancing and hygiene measures, it greatly narrows everyone’s circle, and if someone has it, it keeps it local. Community transmission has reduced so significantly because of a combination of all the measures.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Hygiene and social distancing could never work 100%. Theres always going to be a cohort of people in society who don’t get it. The same people who think it’s ok not to bother washing their hands after using the toilet, who think it’s ok to eat of the spoons in salad bars in supermarkets etc. There are people who don’t care, people who can’t care (because of disability etc), people who can’t remember (dementia). At least with travel restrictions as well as social distancing and hygiene measures, it greatly narrows everyone’s circle, and if someone has it, it keeps it local. Community transmission has reduced so significantly because of a combination of all the measures.

This, 100%. Also, if someone does get it, it's much easier to do 1st- and 2nd-level contact tracing on a group of people all in roughly the one suburb, village or town, rather than having geographically spread clusters.

Which works, except when people decide the rules don't apply to them for some reason, and jump on a train from Dublin to Cork, with a packet of aspirin in their pocket.

Can any of you answer the question as to what the difference is going to be on July 20th?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yet again someone fails to answer, what difference will it make from today till next month, till 2 months or anytime up until a vaccine?

Just go and see your mother. Asking a bunch of anonymous neck beards on here for “permission” is only going to go one way.

Can any of you answer the question as to what the difference is going to be on July 20th?

Its likely that by them less people will have Covid-19. Provided of course people obey the rules.

I don't know why I'm answering because I said to myself I'm not going to answer stupid questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

sporina wrote: »
    how is this?

Spreading the virus from one infected area to another non-infected area. Harder to control.

Advertisement