Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

what about shared custody where there's an informal friendly agreement and no legal piece of paper?

I doubt that matters. If there did a legal custody arrangement then that's followed. If there is opportunity to have more time then that's even better. People need to work together now.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

La.m wrote: »
    I think your understanding is wrong based on the actual text from the CMO. I’ve attached it here and it clearly says individual physical exercise, which may include children from the household. Children, not other adults.

This will allow it to be policed easier as otherwise no one would know if two adults were in the same household or not and it could be more easily flaunted.
    'Individual' means on your own, not part of a group (outside of your household).

So, you can walk on your own, (or with the people you live with), but not as part of a 'walking group'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I’d love to believe that. However Italy’s death toll averaged at about 155 per day for the past 3 years. Now we’re seeing 600-800 die per day.

What’s the source of this claim?

How did you find the numbers for past years?

It is very difficult to figure out which view is correct.

If your numbers are right then that is a massive increase and dies not tally with the “all hysteria” view.

Average of 155 doesn’t mean it was throughout the year - maybe this time of year is when the majority actually died.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Can you link a source please?

As a general rule, it's probably for the best to assume anything citing 'boffins' is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any idea what time this list will be published?

They are still making it up. Shocking to think that this was so rushed that they didn't even have the list worked out.

These are the guidelines they are working from
    Operators of Essential Services

The Directive has direct implications for many companies and utilities in the State. A number of these companies and utilities have been designated as 'Operators of Essential Services' by the Department, and are subject to security obligations and incident reporting requirements. The criteria for identification was as follows:

(1) The entity should provide a service which is essential for the maintenance of critical societal and economic activities;

(2) The provision of that service should depend on network and information systems; and

(3) A security incident would have significant disruptive effects on the essential service.

The following sectors and subsectors were included for consideration by Member States:

Energy: electricity, oil and gas
    Transport: air, rail, water and road
    Banking: credit institutions
    Financial market infrastructures: trading venues and central counterparties
    Health: healthcare providers
    Water: drinking water supply and distribution
    Digital infrastructure: internet exchange points, domain name system service providers and top level domain name registries

Plumbing & electrical should be well covered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,170 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

arctictree wrote: »
    Is rubbish collection still happening?

What if you don't have a collection and need to bring it to a council yard?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

How did you find the numbers for past years?

It is very difficult to figure out which view is correct.

If your numbers are right then that is a massive increase and dies not tally with the “all hysteria” view.

Average of 155 doesn’t mean it was throughout the year - maybe this time of year is when the majority actually died.

I’m just taking italy’s annual death toll per thousand, calculating a figure based on population and averaging over 365.

Either way, I think its unreasonable to suggest that the death toll is the same as any other year in Italy. They have the oldest population in Europe which is why this hit them so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ring your local council.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I don't like the idea of a Garda, with no PPE, asking me to open the window or hand over documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I brought mine to a Dublin bring centre during the week, they were still open at that stage anyway

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of a Garda, with no PPE, asking me to open the window or hand over documents.

I'd say the Garda likes it even less, to be fair

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Ring your local council.

For what? To ask if they're open or ask if they'll collect (very much doubt they will)

For what? To ask if they're open or ask if they'll collect (very much doubt they will)

To ask if they're open. It's not that difficult.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Less of the sassmouth.

Less of the sassmouth.

It really isn't, though. I rang my local centre before making the trip there with a bag of stinking rubbish in the car. They said that they were staying open - but that was almost a week ago, so would be worth checking.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Myself & my adult son are autistic. We are absolutely loving the social distancing. I still work everyday. The only change for me is no more eating out & I miss my Friday afternoon pint with my pal. Outside of that I'm more relaxed now than I have been in decades. :D

OCD myself and this “stay at home” would all be a gift from heaven except that my grandfather is in the house.

We do not get along but wasn’t an issue before as he would normally be out most of the day.

Why would council yard be open if you can't leave your home? You should read the list of when you can leave your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

They are still making it up. Shocking to think that this was so rushed that they didn't even have the list worked out.
    We're in the middle of an emergency. Of course things are rushed.
    I'd be more worried if they were taking their time to dot the i's and cross the t's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Shocking to think that this was so rushed that they didn't even have the list worked out.

It really is a terrible situation and I am glad they are finally taking it seriously.

For those that are confused over this: common sense must prevail. The powers that be will get the information out as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

One here is just 70 and one of us under 70 . Can the one under 70 go shopping for food ? Also can the one aged 70 go for a walk here in the estate ( if its quiet naturally )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Why would council yard be open if you can't leave your home? You should read the list of when you can leave your home.

The council's are working. Why wouldn't one of their essential services not be.

What is it you want to remove, or is this a hypothetical?
    I can't think of anything other than regular household refuse that counts as essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Northern Italy is heavily polluted (been there and this is true) and respiratory problems are apparently common.

It is not unreasonable that the virus has simply brought Italy’s high death to light. I mean how people died in Ireland every day before the virus?

I had a quick google but I’m not a skilled enough searcher. Every death statistic is related to CoVid 19. However I also have not see the evidence that these death are indeed related to CoVid 19. This is the claim of another set of of boffins.

Which boffins are right? I have no idea. I won’t dismiss either claim but I will continue with the precautions and common sense for the sake of my grandparents.

These rules do not make my life harder.

So you think 919 deaths in a 24 hour period (728 the day before) is normal for a country the size of Italy? And that's not included the 'normal' deaths. That is just deaths caused directly by Covid -19. Do you think there us any other single medical condition that could cause over 1600 deaths in two days, in a population of 60 Million.

It's scary that there are still people arguing over the legitimacy of this.

kenmm wrote: »
    It really is a terrible situation and I am glad they are finally taking it seriously.

For those that are confused over this: common sense must prevail. The powers that be will get the information out as soon as possible.

Who is the “they” they wasn’t taking it seriously?

The government?

kenmm wrote: »

They took it serious from the start. They couldn't bring in tough measures till legislation was rushed through the Dail & signed by the president. The ink wasn't even dry as Leo spoke last night. They always have treated this as serious. They only ever let us see two weeks into the future. By Easter Sunday this will be extended by another two weeks & another. The flatter the curve the longer it goes on for. A very flat curve could see this going for months.

Quazzie wrote: »
    So you think 919 deaths in a 24 hour period (728 the day before) is normal for a country the size of Italy? And that's not included the 'normal' deaths. That is just deaths caused directly by Covid -19. Do you think there us any other single medical condition that could cause over 1600 deaths in two days, in a population of 60 Million.

It's scary that there are still people arguing over the legitimacy of this.

Who is arguing over “legitimacy “?

Go back and read all the posts. And stop trying to turn this sensible thread into snarkfests like all the others on this topic.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The council's are working. Why wouldn't one of their essential services not be.

How can it be open to the public when the public aren't allowed to leave their home to bring rubbish to the council yard? I'd be gobsmacked if the council dealt with the general public over the next two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    'Individual' means on your own, not part of a group (outside of your household).

So, you can walk on your own, (or with the people you live with), but not as part of a 'walking group'.

I agree that the HSE ads that have been published and are being played on the radio agrees with this interpretation. However, the actual long form guidance from gov.ie and the cmo specifically state individually and then have a caveat that you can bring your children. If individually meant with anyone from your household they wouldn’t have stated a specific exception for children.

Again this is more of a perception thing. I’m afraid that if everyone is not on the same page about what this means (and obviously people are confused or this thread wouldn’t exist) then people are going to get very angry when they think people are breaking the rules as they see them. We’ve got through this so far by being in it together but that could break apart fast.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    One here is just 70 and one of us under 70 . Can the one under 70 go shopping for food ? Also can the one aged 70 go for a walk here in the estate ( if its quiet naturally )

One has to do their own risk assessment in terms of own personal safety. On top of that the rules are designed to eliminate risk to general public safety.

No-one is going to be id-ing pensioners waking alone near their house.

If it were me, I'd be advising anyone I'd consider vulnerable to stay home completely, as I have done with my own family for at least the last 3 weeks.
    Especially now. As we approach the peak, this is not the time to get sick, we could very well be in a situation where Doctors have to call upon who gets treatment. Why risk it?

Advertisement