Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭robbiezero

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Its likely that by them less people will have Covid-19. Provided of course people obey the rules.

I don't know why I'm answering because I said to myself I'm not going to answer stupid questions.

Community transmission is virtually zero at the moment. So that will likely not be any different.

What is stupid about the question? Its a perfectly valid question. No need to be a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

robbiezero wrote: »
    Community transmission is virtually zero at the moment. So that will likely not be any different.

What is stupid about the question? Its a perfectly valid question. No need to be a twat.

Where are you getting zero from? 60% of confirmed cases are via community transmission

jlm29 wrote: »
    Where are you getting zero from? 60% of confirmed cases are via community transmission

https://www.thejournal.ie/tony-holohan-community-transmission-5102798-May2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Missed this bit?
    He added that there is “no certainty we can keep this virus suppressed”.

Which it won't be with muppets on here saying yeah, just go visit yer mam in another city, be grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

True, the rates are very low at the moment. But there is still some community transmission. And when people start to move around more they will go up. The reason for gradually widening people’s travel circle (which I think was your original question) is that it will allow those rates to go up more slowly, and let the health services be able to deal with it better. By July 20th, one would hope that the people who are currently in icu on ventilators will be gone from intensive care units fo allow for more to come in. The health service we have, I think, Is the main reason that our government were quick to shut down, and slow to open up. We have far less icu beds and ventilators per head of population than other European countries. If the covid patients trickle in rather than flooding in, it will be dealt with much better. Italy had a world class health care system and look what happened there.
    Nobody has ever said that these measures are an attempt to eradicate the virus, or to stop us all from getting it. It’s always been my understanding that ultimately a similar number of people will get it, just at a much slower rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭batman_oh

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Its likely that by them less people will have Covid-19. Provided of course people obey the rules.

I don't know why I'm answering because I said to myself I'm not going to answer stupid questions.

One person started this - so that's not going to make any difference. I really don't get the people that think some sort of magic is going to happen on July 20th or in August. All it will take is one random person from the North to come down with their zero travel restrictions and there it goes again

Missed this bit?

Which it won't be with muppets on here saying yeah, just go visit yer mam in another city, be grand...

Embellishing a quote with your own rubbish doesn't lend it any more weight. Where is the bit where he says people visiting their mam in another city will cause a spike in the virus?

100,000+ construction workers go back to work last week, working all day on building sites and yet it will be a few lads visiting their mam that will cause the problems !!!!.

Once the OP and his mam have been doing their stuff on either end, the risk is virtually non-existent.

jlm29 wrote: »
    True, the rates are very low at the moment. But there is still some community transmission. And when people start to move around more they will go up. The reason for gradually widening people’s travel circle (which I think was your original question) is that it will allow those rates to go up more slowly, and let the health services be able to deal with it better. By July 20th, one would hope that the people who are currently in icu on ventilators will be gone from intensive care units fo allow for more to come in. The health service we have, I think, Is the main reason that our government were quick to shut down, and slow to open up. We have far less icu beds and ventilators per head of population than other European countries. If the covid patients trickle in rather than flooding in, it will be dealt with much better. Italy had a world class health care system and look what happened there.
    Nobody has ever said that these measures are an attempt to eradicate the virus, or to stop us all from getting it. It’s always been my understanding that ultimately a similar number of people will get it, just at a much slower rate.

I thought all current cases are from known clusters?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Once the OP and his mam have been doing their stuff on either end, the risk is virtually non-existent.

Yes, you're right. Travelling for two hours on a train to another city is entirely without risk, which is precisely why there has been no restriction on movement whatsoever for the past several weeks. :rolleyes:

Yes, you're right. Travelling for two hours on a train to another city is entirely without risk, which is precisely why there has been no restriction on movement whatsoever for the past several weeks. :rolleyes:

At midnight on July 20th all that "risk" will suddenly evaporate ya?
    Or is there no risk for a construction worker to travel on a train since May 18th?

I, my wife and almost all my friends, a good few work colleagues have been visiting family outside the 5km now for a few weeks and I imagine so are a large cohort of people and yet community transmission has "been all but extinguished". How is that if its so unsafe?

I don't particularly care what anyone else is doing, but its poor form to have a cohort of terror-stricken posters on this thread abusing people for visiting struggling parents or grand parents.
    There is scope for essential travel built in to the restrictions to visit elderly relatives and typical of Government advice, it is completely vague and open to interpretation.

• Advertisement

At midnight on July 20th all that "risk" will suddenly evaporate ya?
    Or is there no risk for a construction worker to travel on a train since May 18th?

I, my wife and almost all my friends, a good few work colleagues have been visiting family outside the 5km now for a few weeks and I imagine so are a large cohort of people and yet community transmission has "been all but extinguished". How is that if its so unsafe?

I don't particularly care what anyone else is doing, but its poor form to have a cohort of terror-stricken posters on this thread abusing people for visiting struggling parents or grand parents.
    There is scope for essential travel built in to the restrictions to visit elderly relatives and typical of Government advice, it is completely vague and open to interpretation.

That was the problem. Things weren’t set in stone enough and led to people like you interpreting it to suit yourselves and **** things up for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

When are furniture shops open does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

growleaves wrote: »
    When are furniture shops open does anyone know?

Just saw an ad that Harvey Norman are open

That was the problem. Things weren’t set in stone enough and led to people like you interpreting it to suit yourselves and **** things up for us all.

Nope. Visiting tourist centres in droves without distancing and jumping around in packed pubs was not a good idea before the lockdown and it is not a good idea now. No relation whatsoever to people safely visiting their parent(s).

Nope. Visiting tourist centres in droves without distancing and jumping around in packed pubs was not a good idea before the lockdown and it is not a good idea now. No relation whatsoever to people safely visiting their parent(s).

Like I said, suiting yourself even though you’re as wrong as the ones in the pubs and tourist centres.

Such an Irish thing to tut tut at people breaking rules while breaking them yourself. Greatest nation of people ever for a bit of “**** all them, I’m more important”.

Like I said, suiting yourself even though you’re as wrong as the ones in the pubs and tourist centres.

Such an Irish thing to tut tut at people breaking rules while breaking them yourself. Greatest nation of people ever for a bit of “**** all them, I’m more important”.

Complete crap. I suppose I am as wrong as the crowd that went to Cheltenham as well.
    Just shows how clueless some of the "Bbbbbbuuuutttt Tony said (with quivering lip)" zealots are.

Followed up with the usual bit of cultural self-loathing.

Complete crap. I suppose I am as wrong as the crowd that went to Cheltenham as well.
    Just shows how clueless some of the "Bbbbbbuuuutttt Tony said (with quivering lip)" zealots are.

Yep, everyone flouting the guidelines is as bad as each other. You included.

Yep, everyone flouting the guidelines is as bad as each other. You included.

Cool.

Cool.

:D

Quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

In the booklet all the country were sent with the public health advice it was 1 metre social distancing. Does anyone know when that advice changed and the whether a new booklet issued?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Sploshes

Quick question. In a shared household are we allowed have guests in the house? Pretty sure the answer is no until June 8th but what can really be done about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Just saw an ad that Harvey Norman are open

They're not selling furniture though. Only electrical

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sploshes wrote: »
    Quick question. In a shared household are we allowed have guests in the house? Pretty sure the answer is no until June 8th but what can really be done about it?

No is the answer but I've seen plenty of my neighbours break the rules this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Looks like Tony is not for turning on the 2m rule

appledrop wrote: »
    No is the answer but I've seen plenty of my neighbours break the rules this week.

One of mine has never quit. There’s always a car of some sort outside with people visiting and the front yard is always full of a gang of little scrotes talking to the kids. She’s been minding people’s children all the way through too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It’s completely pointless arguing your case on here with individuals like that. You’ve done nothing wrong imo and thousands more are doing the same, they just don’t post about it on boards and take the inevitable flack from the curtain twitchers.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It’s completely pointless arguing your case on here with individuals like that. You’ve done nothing wrong imo and thousands more are doing the same, they just don’t post about it on boards and take the inevitable flack from the curtain twitchers.

Well so long as it fits in with your opinion and someone else is doing it too. We should do everything like that really.

Sploshes wrote: »

Nothing can be done about it. The “rules” are merely guidelines for the most part. What you do within your own private residence is your own business.

Well so long as it fits in with your opinion and someone else is doing it too. We should do everything like that really.

Now you have it.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Nothing can be done about it. The “rules” are merely guidelines for the most part. What you do within your own private residence is your own business.

There’s not “nothing” you can do about it. There’s plenty someone can do about it if they take matters into their own hands.

Advertisement