Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Just saw an ad that Harvey Norman are open

Apparently only the electronics and white goods sections, though, not homewares.

Sploshes wrote: »
    Quick question. In a shared household are we allowed have guests in the house? Pretty sure the answer is no until June 8th but what can really be done about it?

No, you can't. Shared house - jebus, that's gonna be awkward...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

There’s not “nothing” you can do about it. There’s plenty someone can do about it if they take matters into their own hands.

Oh, the big boy pants are on :pac:

What can you do about it if a neighbour has visitors in his own private residence?

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Oh, the big boy pants are on :pac:

What can you do about it if a neighbour has visitors in his own private residence?

Like I said, mine are at it the whole time but there’s little I can do about it and I can control how it affects me by having no contact with them. What you quoted referred to a house share.

Now you have it.

You're dead right, Joe.

It'll all be grand.

We never had anything like this happen before.

Oh, well, except for things like the Spanish Flu. Which absolutely didn't have a second wave, as people said "Ah, sure we're grand now. Nobody can tell me what to do in my own household. ****ing curtain-twitchin' neck-beards, tut-tuttin' at me..."

ETE682OWkAEchCy?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement

Like I said, mine are at it the whole time but there’s little I can do about it and I can control how it affects me by having no contact with them. What you quoted referred to a house share.

Right, I missed the house-share bit.

Well in that case the OP better check with his house mates and hope that they’re reasonable. Or wait until this arbitrary date in June that Leo plucked from his backside because the risk will have passed at midnight on that date.

Well in that case the OP better check with his house mates and hope that they’re reasonable. Or wait until this arbitrary date in June that Leo plucked from his backside because the risk will have passed at midnight on that date.

Missed the part where those dates and the regulations on said dates can all change?

Missed the part where those dates and the regulations on said dates can all change?

Phase 2, June 8th.
    Up to four people can visit another household for short period.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e5e599-government-publishes-roadmap-to-ease-covid-19-restrictions-and-reope/#phase-2-8-june

All phases can be brought forward or pushed out, or the details changed. Fluid as he called it at the time.

All phases can be brought forward or pushed out, or the details changed. Fluid as he called it at the time.

Where does it say “outdoors”? It doesn’t.

The meeting other people from other households outdoors is what is currently “permitted”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Sploshes

Lol. They are not. Gonna be an interesting few days. We have an absolute **** bag of a house mate for another few months and then we will be getting rid come lease renewal. Just wanted to see if there was any legal recourse apart from dragging "guests" out by force.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7ae99f-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-june-8-phase-2/
    Social visits
    Up to 4 people may visit another household for a short period of time but everyone must keep at least 2 metres apart from people they don't live with.
    the short period bit may as well not be there, no actual time given -no rule.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

rubadub wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7ae99f-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-june-8-phase-2/

the short period bit may as well not be there, no actual time given -no rule.
    And yet another example of an inability to organise a piss up in a brewery in what passes for our leadership. Never mind how the holy fcuk do you keep two metres away from other people in a house? Maybe the ministers were thinking of their McMansions...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I don't think they're expecting 2m in houses, just across tables, separate couches, not touching etc. But they'll officially say 2m anyway.

Realistically couples who've been forced to spend the last 3 months apart will be getting a lot closer than 2m!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Caranica wrote: »
    I don't think they're expecting 2m in houses, just across tables, separate couches, not touching etc. But they'll officially say 2m anyway.
    Sure C, but what do many people get when they go to someone's house? Ah will you have a cup of tea/coffee? The first patient in Germany after "patient zero" was someone who asked patient zero to pass the salt.

Realistically couples who've been forced to spend the last 3 months apart will be getting a lot closer than 2m!
    2mm would be an ask. :D Unless the time apart has made the heart wander not grow fonder...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

VonLuck wrote: »
    Spreading the virus from one infected area to another non-infected area. Harder to control.

journeys by road are longer than as the crow flies and the risks are more realistic - so why are they using the crow approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

sporina wrote: »
    journeys by road are longer than as the crow flies and the risks are more realistic - so why are they using the crow approach?

Easier to measure? Bang an Eircode into an app and the powers that be will know exactly whether or not you're playing by the rules.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

We need to hold firm until we get a vaccine guys. #clapforcarers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

https://2kmfromhome.com/5km/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

jlm29 wrote: »

i got that - pity its not an app..

but it doesn't answer my Q - but thanks anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

i got that - pity its not an app..

but it doesn't answer my Q - but thanks anyway

I did but you ignored my answer.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Paddygreen wrote: »
    We need to hold firm until we get a vaccine guys. #clapforcarers

Even if it's 10 years away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

You're overthinking this. A radius is much easier method of understanding than a travel distance limit by the route you travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

VonLuck wrote: »
    You're overthinking this. A radius is much easier method of understanding than a travel distance limit by the route you travelled.

This. It’s much simpler for people. If the place you’re travelling is in your red circle you can go there, if doesn’t matter whether you travel as the crow flies or along the windiest road there is.

I want to bring my family back to Ireland for a few months to live in our house and enjoy our garden. We are all currently abroad.

We are happy to abide by the quarantine but are curious about how we would get from the airport to our house. Are car rentals still operating at the airport? It seems an awful waste to rent a car at the airport only to then park it up outside the house for two weeks while we isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Caranica wrote: »
    I don't think they're expecting 2m in houses
    Yeah, its sort of like speed limits, pedestrian crossings, double yellows etc.

I want to bring my family back to Ireland for a few months to live in our house and enjoy our garden. We are all currently abroad.

We are happy to abide by the quarantine but are curious about how we would get from the airport to our house. Are car rentals still operating at the airport? It seems an awful waste to rent a car at the airport only to then park it up outside the house for two weeks while we isolate.

Yes, car rentals are still operating.

Would taxi be an option? Might be cheaper, even if a long distance. Lynk Taxis, I know, will let you book a taxi with separation between driver and passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭wandererz

Should not be the case but apparently it does when it comes to the Eid celebration.

Taxi driver neighbour decided to have an Eid celebration by inviting multiple other taxi driver and other friends over to congregate in a small apartment.

This is wrong in so many ways.

Firstly, they are transporting people on a daily basis. If one of them gets infected during this congregation they end up infecting their passengers.

If one of them is infected already, they infect the others in their group celebration who go on to exponentially infect others, especially those they pick up as passengers.

Across the globe, Birthday celebrations have been cancelled, Easter celebrations have been cancelled, weddings have been cancelled and more.

I am infuriated. What gives them the right to do this?
    People arriving dressed in the formal Pakistani / Eastern Salwar Kameez outfits in different colours, not even trying to hide the fact that they are attending an illicit event.

It's even against the recommendations of the Muslim Council and the other official groups.

Who polices this?
    Gards notified, but no response 2hrs later.

These guys could be contributing to an increase in the r value in the next few days or weeks, thereby undoing all the good everyone else has achieved.

I am ticked off in a major way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

The veil you threw over that racism is prettttty thin.

Is this Eid celebration somehow more infuriating to you than the young ones drinking by the canal, not practicing any kinda social distancing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭wandererz

KiKi III wrote: »
    The veil you threw over that racism is prettttty thin.

Is this Eid celebration somehow more infuriating to you than the young ones drinking by the canal, not practicing any kinda social distancing?

It's not anything to do with racism.
    I grew up on the wrong side of the most racist country on the planet. I'm also the same colour as these guys. So I've been on the receiving end.

It's just the day that it is.

I'm pissed off because key workers are risking their lives during this pandemic to save lives.
    These particular guys are taxi drivers. Taxi drivers are amongst those who are responsible for transporting key workers and others.
    They have a responsibility.
    Other taxi drivers (of whatever race) seem to be compliant and are not using a celebration to violate the requests that the government makes of us.

They are using a religious event to justify violating the requests & laws of the country.

Scrotes hanging by the canal or by shops or anywhere else are a different story. They are not adults who are bound by the laws of the country.

Advertisement