Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Did you ring the Gardai OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭wandererz

If one considers the CV lockdown in terms of "Pods" it may make more sense.

If you consider your home to be a "pod" or a "dome" that one has control over and is inviolable then you trust it.

If everyone in the area takes care of and maintains their own pod then it reduces the chance of the virus entering.

Over time, the pod can be increased (i.e extended by radius - 2km,5km etc)
    The moment one violates that, there is a much larger chance of infection.

That's what has happened here. People from outside the area were introduced, thus introducing multiple other variables and increasing the risk of infection in that area and decreasing the opportunities for contact tracing.

KiKi III wrote: »
    The veil you threw over that racism is prettttty thin.

Did you mean racism or religious prejudice?
    I really don't think that the racism card applies to me, if you know me..

Perhaps you mean religious prejudice instead?
    But I do have a response to that as well.

How about confronting me about taxi driver prejudice afterwards?

Laws and regulations apply to everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

We need to get back to praising the lord.The holy trinity, The father Mr Tony, the son Mr simple Simon, and the holy spirit Mr Leo. Amen.

We need to get back to praising the lord.The holy trinity, The father Mr Tony, the son Mr simple Simon, and the holy spirit Mr Leo. Amen.

Not so.
    Please explain. Also expand on whether people have been complying or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

wandererz wrote: »
    Should not be the case but apparently it does when it comes to the Eid celebration.

Taxi driver neighbour decided to have an Eid celebration by inviting multiple other taxi driver and other friends over to congregate in a small apartment.

This is wrong in so many ways.

Firstly, they are transporting people on a daily basis. If one of them gets infected during this congregation they end up infecting their passengers.

If one of them is infected already, they infect the others in their group celebration who go on to exponentially infect others, especially those they pick up as passengers.

Across the globe, Birthday celebrations have been cancelled, Easter celebrations have been cancelled, weddings have been cancelled and more.

I am infuriated. What gives them the right to do this?
    People arriving dressed in the formal Pakistani / Eastern Salwar Kameez outfits in different colours, not even trying to hide the fact that they are attending an illicit event.

It's even against the recommendations of the Muslim Council and the other official groups.

Who polices this?
    Gards notified, but no response 2hrs later.

These guys could be contributing to an increase in the r value in the next few days or weeks, thereby undoing all the good everyone else has achieved.

I am ticked off in a major way!

And you're right to be, for the reasons you outlined. Muppets! Did the gardaí arrive eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Question on the Self-isolation if arriving into Ireland from elsewhere.

If a person wants to fly into Dublin from mainland UK for 3/4 days to see her Parents who are elderly with conditions etc.
    Does this new law mean that this is effectively not do-able?
    As in she would need to self-isolate somewhere other than her Parents house for 14 days and then visit them ?

Friend of mine lives in UK and has not seen her Parents since early January.
    Wants to come home for a few days as soon as she can manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

SusanC10 wrote: »

If a person wants to fly into Dublin from mainland UK for 3/4 days to see her Parents who are elderly with conditions etc.
    As in she would need to self-isolate somewhere other than her Parents house for 14 days and then visit them ?

Thats correct. Also, law or no law, if her parents are elderly and have health problems she shouldn't be visiting them anyway, especially from the UK where they haven't been as strict with lockdown as in Ireland. I haven't seen my elderly mother in the UK since Easter 2019 so I feel her pain. I'm not risking a visit until we have a vaccine or better treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The odd thing is its mandatory to fill out the self isolation form, but its not mandatory to self isolate, a typically Irish solution to an Irish problem. They are working on the law, but I can't see quarantines being sustainable longterm. Numerous businesses depend on tourism and business travelers.
    Fast turnaround testing at airports is the only serious long term option. This is what our government should be focused on.

So your friend will be obliged to fill out a form but not obliged to self isolate for 2 weeks, for the foreseeable future. She should travel, but try to practice some social distancing.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

Weird that it is the law to fill out the form but not to actually self-isolate. !

So your friend will be obliged to fill out a form but not obliged to self isolate for 2 weeks, for the foreseeable future. She should travel, but try to practice some social distancing.

No, she absolutely shouldn't. Not if she cares about her mam.

No non-essential travel, don't visit elderly people. It's really simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chaikhosi

UK citizen living in Dublin, with family in England. Is it realistic to think I might visit them this summer? I could live with being quarantined at (their/my) home by both countries, if necessary.

The lockdown stages put out by both the Irish and British governments don't seem to mention foreign travel at all, regardless of all the airlines with their frantic whining. Not sure if that means no chance, or just wait and see.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

chaikhosi wrote: »
    UK citizen living in Dublin, with family in England. Is it realistic to think I might visit them this summer? I could live with being quarantined at (their/my) home by both countries, if necessary.

The lockdown stages put out by both the Irish and British governments don't seem to mention foreign travel at all, regardless of all the airlines with their frantic whining. Not sure if that means no chance, or just wait and see.
    Currently no quarantine requirements between GB and the island of Ireland

You need to consider the Irish rules for travel within Ireland and the England rules for travel within England, but both have shown some relaxation in the past week or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I'm in the same situation and afaik there is no issue with travelling to the UK from Ireland and no need to quarantine. On the return I'm not so sure?

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

No, she absolutely shouldn't. Not if she cares about her mam.

No non-essential travel, don't visit elderly people. It's really simple.

What if they fail to create a vaccine? She can never visit her mam ever again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭uli84

I know we’re still at 5 😠but When will 20kms be done with?

callmehal wrote: »
    What if they fail to create a vaccine? She can never visit her mam ever again?

Yeah, that's totally what I implied:rolleyes:

They won't be releasing a vaccine for at least another year, in all likelihood, if they do manage to develop one (there's still none for SARS).

In the absence of one, and assuming she cares about elderly parents who we are told have underlying medical conditions, you apply a) the current regulations; b) common sense.

So:

* Don't visit people who are literally in the most vulnerable category, especially when the Irish government are saying such people should, right now, cocoon themselves, and where no non-essential travel is permitted.

* Even moreso, don't visit people who are literally in the most vulnerable category when you're coming from the sh1tshow that is the UK, where the spread of covid19 is far worse than it is here.

Those points are so obvious I'm amazed they need to be stated. But apparently they do.

We know the phases ease every 3 weeks (barring no new spikes), so a couple more stages in. then yes, absolutely plan travel, when it's again permitted.

The responsible thing to do would be to arrive into Ireland, self-isolate for 2 weeks, then go visit the parents.

Yes, that's at least 6 weeks out from now. It's harsh. I totally get that. It's also the least dangerous thing to do, for her parents sake.

Who knows, maybe - hopefully! - there'll be an option of easily doing private tests soon, with a 1- or 2-day turnaround. That'd remove the self-isolation problem, getting it down from 2 weeks to 2 days.

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

Yeah, that's totally what I implied:rolleyes:

They won't be releasing a vaccine for at least another year, in all likelihood, if they do manage to develop one (there's still none for SARS).

In the absence of one, and assuming she cares about elderly parents who we are told have underlying medical conditions, you apply a) the current regulations; b) common sense.

So:

* Don't visit people who are literally in the most vulnerable category, especially when the Irish government are saying such people should, right now, cocoon themselves, and where no non-essential travel is permitted.

* Even moreso, don't visit people who are literally in the most vulnerable category when you're coming from the sh1tshow that is the UK, where the spread of covid19 is far worse than it is here.

Those points are so obvious I'm amazed they need to be stated. But apparently they do.

We know the phases ease every 3 weeks (barring no new spikes), so a couple more stages in. then yes, absolutely plan travel, when it's again permitted.

The responsible thing to do would be to arrive into Ireland, self-isolate for 2 weeks, then go visit the parents.

Yes, that's at least 6 weeks out from now. It's harsh. I totally get that. It's also the least dangerous thing to do, for her parents sake.

Who knows, maybe - hopefully! - there'll be an option of easily doing private tests soon, with a 1- or 2-day turnaround. That'd remove the self-isolation problem, getting it down from 2 weeks to 2 days.

Up until there's a vaccine, she'll be putting her mother's life at risk if she visits her. As I asked, what if they never find a vaccine? How will 3 weeks make a difference to any of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

uli84 wrote: »
    I know we’re still at 5 😠but When will 20kms be done with?

8th June all going well we go to 20km and then it's 20 July (again, subject to change) when you can go longer distances and up to 8 people from 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Driver1980

This lockdown is absolutely not making any sense ! We can't travel for more than 5KM but it's all right to go to lakes, beaches and seat one closed to each other, this is madness ! We can't go visit family who live far from us, but can go to the lakes etc as long as they are inside the 5km distance :) Where is the sense here? Going from A to B from house to house is more dangerous than going to the lake and meet tone of people there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

Caranica wrote: »
    8th June all going well we go to 20km and then it's 20 July (again, subject to change) when you can go longer distances and up to 8 people from 4.

Is this 8 people in the phases? First I've seen but maybe I missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

I think they brought in rules here regarding travel, 14 day quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Driver1980 wrote: »
    This lockdown is absolutely not making any sense ! We can't travel for more than 5KM but it's all right to go to lakes, beaches and seat one closed to each other, this is madness ! We can't go visit family who live far from us, but can go to the lakes etc as long as they are inside the 5km distance :) Where is the sense here? Going from A to B from house to house is more dangerous than going to the lake and meet tone of people there?

To be fair, the people at the beaches and lakes are meant to be maintaining 2m social distance from those not in their household group.

That aspect is not going terribly well of late though.......

Is this 8 people in the phases? First I've seen but maybe I missed it.

Meet in groups of up to 4 until 20 July when that is increased to 8 people.

Caranica wrote: »
    Meet in groups of up to 4 until 20 July when that is increased to 8 people.

I posted about this yesterday in another thread as I had thought that I had read somewhere about 8 people but couldn't find it.

Do you have any link to the 8 people ?

I posted about this yesterday in another thread as I had thought that I had read somewhere about 8 people but couldn't find it.

Do you have any link to the 8 people ?

It's in the government pathway document (the full version, not the flow chart), phase 4

callmehal wrote: »
    Up until there's a vaccine, she'll be putting her mother's life at risk if she visits her. As I asked, what if they never find a vaccine? How will 3 weeks make a difference to any of this?

Work with me here... I addressed that.

If no vaccine, then isolate for 14 days. If no covid, then visit.

Alternatively, get a covid test, wait 2 or 3 days for the result. If no covid, then visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Driver1980

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    To be fair, the people at the beaches and lakes are meant to be maintaining 2m social distance from those not in their household group.

That aspect is not going terribly well of late though.......

This is crazy, no way people can maintain 2m distance where there is 20 people defo not the household sitting next to each other, plenty of the kids swimming together etc.

I'm starting to think it's not about the virus but to make us slaves etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Driver1980 wrote: »
    This is crazy, no way people can maintain 2m distance where there is 20 people defo not the household sitting next to each other, plenty of the kids swimming together etc.

I'm starting to think it's not about the virus but to make us slaves etc.

Yea I think you are right, there is no virus this is a new world order conspiracy to keep everyone inside :pac:

Advertisement