Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Does anyone know what the current situation is with people travelling from the north? Can anyone from NI still go to any county on the island without being told to return home by the Gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

VonLuck wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the current situation is with people travelling from the north? Can anyone from NI still go to any county on the island without being told to return home by the Gardaí?

I've seen nothing to indicate that's changed. There are definitely fewer checkpoints in Dublin - if that's the same near border areas then they won't even be advised to turn around and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

VonLuck wrote: »

They can be told to return home by the guards...but the guards have no power to enforce it if the request is ignored.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

So long as people are prepared for them to move back if their selfishness causes a big spike. Works both roads.

Yeah another dose of a flamethrower on the already pretty badly damaged economy. Great idea, who needs it anyway, we just need to focus on the virus that is a mild illness for the vast majority of people who catch it and use the license fee to turn up the fear and manic crazy eyed, masked up hysteria to the max. They better keep a fire extinguisher around George Lee in case he self combusts with all the excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yeah another dose of a flamethrower on the already pretty badly damaged economy. Great idea, who needs it anyway, we just need to focus on the virus that is a mild illness for the vast majority of people who catch it and use the license fee to turn up the fear and manic crazy eyed, masked up hysteria to the max. They better keep a fire extinguisher around George Lee in case he self combusts with all the excitement.

Yeah, those 1,600+ people dying from their mild illness. Feckers... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

From Monday, how many from other households are allowed into another house?

Did they mention social distancing indoors? It's trickier in houses

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    From Monday, how many from other households are allowed into another house?

Did they mention social distancing indoors? It's trickier in houses

he updated public health advice from 8 June is:

Stay local and protect yourself from infection by cocooning at home as much as possible
    Up to 6 people may visit the home of those cocooning for a short period of time while maintaining strict social distancing, observation of hand hygiene practices, and where feasible in well ventilated spaces. Outdoor visits are encouraged where possible. This public health advice also applies for those cocooning when visiting other households.

As those who are cocooning begin to meet with increased numbers of people, they may wish to consider meeting with the same group of family or friends to reduce the risk of infection. An approach for those cocooning may be to identify a core small group of particular friends and family as regular visitors. The risk of spread of disease is higher when people meet changing groups of people

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Up to 6 people may visit the home of those cocooning for a short period of time

And what about those not cocooning? Neighbors are starting to go inside each other's houses in my area

The price wasn’t worth paying. A mild illness for the vast majority and there are no real indications otherwise. Took a few weeks or months from those who were already dying, just like the flu in that regard. Protect those who need it, the lockdown has done far more harm than good and that is becoming more and more apparent.

And what about those not cocooning? Neighbors are starting to go inside each other's houses in my area

Great to see people getting on with their lives, isn’t it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The price wasn’t worth paying. A mild illness for the vast majority and there are no real indications otherwise. Took a few weeks or months from those who were already dying, just like the flu in that regard. Protect those who need it, the lockdown has done far more harm than good and that is becoming more and more apparent.

It's nothing like the flu. People saying this months ago before it hit could be forgiven.
    Anyone still repeating it has shown they are incapable of understanding... when people dying in field hospitals and being buried in mass graves don't bring home the truth nothing will.

Is there an actual restriction you don't understand? Ask away.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7ae99f-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-june-8-phase-2/

You can get all the info here

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's nothing like the flu. People saying this months ago before it hit could be forgiven.
    Anyone still repeating it has shown they are incapable of understanding... when people dying in field hospitals and being buried in mass graves don't bring home the truth nothing will.

Is there an actual restriction you don't understand? Ask away.

Would you jog on with the hysterical hyperbole. Mass graves and field hospitals, the hospitals in Ireland have been never been so quiet and there are no mass graves anywhere.

Would you jog on with the hysterical hyperbole. Mass graves and field hospitals, the hospitals in Ireland have been never been so quiet and there are no mass graves anywhere.

Likely referring to Hart Island in New York.
    https://www.insider.com/the-mass-graves-part-of-pandemic-new-york-was-prepared-2020-4

Then there's the airports in London that had to temporarily be used to store bodies. I would say I'm pretty happy that Ireland avoided situations like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You seem to want to jog on past the reality that has occured in Ireland and elsewhere because of this virus.
    Burying your head in the sand is also an hysteric act.

There were mass graves, there were patients dying in field hospitals set up in warehouses because of this virus.
    None of that happens because of the flu.
    That it didn't happen here was because of the measures we took.
    It happens because of the capacity for coronavirus, to kill to hospitalise, and to overwhelm health services.

Calling this just a flu at this stage is fake news.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Great to see people getting on with their lives, isn’t it?

Mod: You were banned from the "relaxation of restrictions" thread. Next attempt at turning this thread in that direction and you will be banned from here too.

Was "can kids sleep over in their Grandparents from the 8th?" ever answered at the briefings last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Was "can kids sleep over in their Grandparents from the 8th?" ever answered at the briefings last week?

It was, the answer is it’s not recommended. Maybe included in Phase 3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't remember that exact question being asked, but even if they said it was allowed is a sleepover that important that you'd risk it? I've seen other countries say they will allow kids visit grandparents, but they are only relatively brief visits.

We have to remember that the virus hasn't disappeared, we're just managing to suppress it - we need to get to a vaccine or some other scientific breakthrough to be fully rid of this as a threat.

hmmm wrote: »
    I don't remember that exact question being asked, but even if they said it was allowed is a sleepover that important that you'd risk it? I've seen other countries say they will allow kids visit grandparents, but they are only relatively brief visits.

We have to remember that the virus hasn't disappeared, we're just managing to suppress it - we need to get to a vaccine or some other scientific breakthrough to be fully rid of this as a threat.

Soon people will have no choice . As more and more go back to work with no creche places available and no schools or camps open the only option for many is to have grandparents mind the kids

The economy cannot function without childcare

• Advertisement

The economy cannot function without childcare
    I agree, hopefully we see creches and schools re-opening.

It still means however you're exposing potentially vulnerable people to a risk if you're asking grandparents to mind kids - so (in my opinion only) they should be there only if absolutely necessary. Personally I'd also keep the kids in a room with as much ventilation as possible.

I'm sure the government will give guidance on this if they allow it down the road.

I agree, hopefully we see creches and schools re-opening.

It still means however you're exposing potentially vulnerable people to a risk if you're asking grandparents to mind kids - so (in my opinion only) they should be there only if absolutely necessary.

Dont forget that grandparents can be 40 years old or 90 years old
    Many are healthy , no underlying issues and will make up their own mind as to what they are willing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

It was asked during the NPHET one I think (I watched both yesterday so may be mixed up as to which one).

It was definitely asked and answered though.

I agree fully with you, no need for sleepovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Many are healthy , no underlying issues and will make up their own mind as to what they are willing to do

Really good point there - not all grandparents can be considered vulnerable.

Most people would assume if the question is about "grandparents", we're discussing people who are at high risk and advised to be cocooning. I'm not aware of many 40 year old grandparents, and I'm sure the government advice is also said with this in mind.

Most people would assume if the question is about "grandparents", we're discussing people who are at high risk and advised to be cocooning. I'm not aware of many 40 year old grandparents, and I'm sure the government advice is also said with this in mind.

Grandparents are not necessarily in the vulnerable group was my whole point

Very selfish of them. There’s money to be made!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Need to go to a showroom for a home tomorrow but it's 40k away.
    Is this allowed?
    I presume checkpoints will probably be few tomorrow anyway?
    Likely to get people all over the country going to IKEA etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Need to go to a showroom for a home tomorrow but it's 40k away.
    Is this allowed?
    I presume checkpoints will probably be few tomorrow anyway?
    Likely to get people all over the country going to IKEA etc...

If it's in the same county that's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Has anyone got a link to the latest regulations (applicable from 8th June), I have looked on gov.ie and irishstatutebook and can't seem to find them.

Advertisement