Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options
1626364656668»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

odyssey06 wrote: »
    To comply with what though?

A garda direction, if they tell you to back where you came from and you don't there would be consequences, basic public order stuff but still, a trip to the station etc could put a crappy end to your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

bladespin wrote: »
    A garda direction, if they tell you to back where you came from and you don't there would be consequences, basic public order stuff but still, a trip to the station etc could put a crappy end to your day.

If you mean the powers below, if they could be used to enforce the public health guidelines we wouldn't need any specific legislation related to covid-19.
    A Guard could just say Person X wasn't wearing a mask, Person Y was crossing county border on a tourist visit.

It is an offence if you do not comply with a Garda’s request to stop behaving in a way that they believe is endangering people’s safety, property or the public peace. If you are behaving in this way, the Garda can also ask you to “move on” to avert any potential trouble. This means that they do not have to apply the full force of criminal law by arresting you, charging you and bringing you before the courts. It is an offence to not follow these Garda directions, unless you have a reasonable excuse or lawful authority to do so.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/public_order_offenses_in_ireland.html#

I think those laws could be used to break up large public gatherings e.g. the scenes we saw in Galway on the grounds of endangering the public peace - regardless of covid-19 legislation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If you mean the powers below, if they could be used to enforce the public health guidelines we wouldn't need any specific legislation related to covid-19.
    A Guard could just say Person X wasn't wearing a mask, Person Y was crossing county border on a tourist visit.

They can, but that's just one example, there's more than one way a garda can give you a bad day, even if in the end (after hours of course) it ends up as nothing. Specific powers would have been nice but they're not exactly toothless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

It is an offence if you do not comply with a Garda’s request to stop behaving in a way that they believe is endangering people’s safety, property or the public peace. If you are behaving in this way, the Garda can also ask you to “move on” to avert any potential trouble. This means that they do not have to apply the full force of criminal law by arresting you, charging you and bringing you before the courts. It is an offence to not follow these Garda directions, unless you have a reasonable excuse or lawful authority to do so.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/public_order_offenses_in_ireland.html#

I think those laws could be used to break up large public gatherings e.g. the scenes we saw in Galway on the grounds of endangering the public peace - regardless of covid-19 legislation.

Would those powers work on the Marchers in Grafton St

Would those powers work on the Marchers in Grafton St

I think they would cite their right to peaceful protest as their lawful authority, that comes with a lot of associated legal protections.

• Advertisement

More on the planned checkpoints from RTE.

From midnight tonight, over 2,500 gardaí will be on duty at checkpoints on major routes to restrict people's movements... Gardaí say traffic jams are inevitable, non-essential journeys will be disrupted, and movement will be difficult as people are being asked to stay within their own counties. The Government is not giving gardaí any additional powers to enforce the new restrictions, so if people do not break other laws, then gardai can only engage, educate and encourage them to comply.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1006/1169771-coronavirus-garda/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I think they would cite their right to peaceful protest as their lawful authority, that comes with a lot of associated legal protections.

From what the media have been reporting, the Gardaí are saying the rat lickers have the right to protest, and lick rats, so they can't stop them marching up Grafton Street, but the Gardaí can charge the organisers for organising a rat-licking event with more than 15 people in attendance...

Will they, though...?

From what the media have been reporting, the Gardaí are saying the rat lickers have the right to protest, and lick rats, so they can't stop them marching up Grafton Street, but the Gardaí can charge the organisers for organising a rat-licking event with more than 15 people in attendance... Will they, though...?

Yes there is specific covid-19 legislation for that and also for outdoor parties \ gatherings if they look like they've been organised. Am curious if anyone will ever be charged under it...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

as it is a pandemic that kills and government is constantly making up rules and laws.
    it is aan emergency and like war it kills and emergency law\rules need to be put in place
    to protect citizens.
    the government is hardly able to deal with a normal situation let alone the pandemic.
    under emergency legislation the government should be suspended and an all party
    emergency government formed with a pro rata cabinet and dail ministers as 30\30\30
    main elected in last election with 1 seat in cabinet per each small party labour\greens
    along with a mix of 5 independants whoes voting record shows they have not constantly
    supported FG or FF.
    the emergency rules\restrictions and lockdowns would be decided by a fair mix in emergency cabinet and government.
    it can be seen the FG\FF are already turning against the "medical experts advce" along with high profilers
    just doing what they want ie hogan\judge etc. whilst citizens are restricted on attending a funeral of their family.
    the pandemic will be present for a minimum of another year and what is happening is a farce by the two
    government parties.
    suspend for emergency and "all party" input and vote on action\s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The Government is not giving gardaí any additional powers to enforce the new restrictions, so if people do not break other laws, then gardai can only engage, educate and encourage them to comply.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1006/1169771-coronavirus-garda/

Fúcks sake

"shure it'll be grand" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Some load of ****e really. What happened to “Level 3 with a focus on enforcement”?

Reddit Ireland

From the people who brought you a '5 level plan with 6 levels', comes 'level 3 with increased enforcement', without any increased enforcement.

"Why are you traveling today?"

"Oh I'm just going on a jolly cross country"

"You shouldn't really be leaving your county right now due to level 3 and such"

"I know, have a nice day gard. Bye now"

VonLuck wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the current Level 3 restrictions relate to people travelling from the north? Is there anything stopping someone from Northern Ireland travelling between counties in the Republic? I understand that there will be increased Garda presence, but will they actually be able to do anything?

Crossed the border twice this morning, no sign of any check points etc though the PSNI have a speed van at Blacklion, did pass a chick point at home when I was leaving - in the middle of the county, no idea what that is for???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'm not sure they can tell you go 'back where you came from'. They can ask you to 'move on from a particular place'. But it is up to you where. However they could block the road citing a safety issue. If you continue to your destination via an alternative way - that is your call. You'll be doing nothing wrong.

They could arrive at a Spanish Arch scenario and demand that people disperse. But non-compliance from a significantly large group would present practical difficulties for Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

topper75 wrote: »
    I'm not sure they can tell you go 'back where you came from'. They can ask you to 'move on from a particular place'. But it is up to you where. However they could block the road citing a safety issue. If you continue to your destination via an alternative way - that is your call. You'll be doing nothing wrong.

They could arrive at a Spanish Arch scenario and demand that people disperse. But non-compliance from a significantly large group would present practical difficulties for Gardaí.

Why though? Why not just comply? Why does there always have to be absolute arsehats who feel their stupid little lives are more important than the lives of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Abbaesque

Hi,
    Are children’s after school classes allowed go ahead? Maximum of 14 socially distant- craft class? I thought not, but the organisers say yes- going ahead.. I would be interested in your thoughts,
    Emer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why though? Why not just comply? Why does there always have to be absolute arsehats who feel their stupid little lives are more important than the lives of others.

Because not everybody who moves everywhere is spreading disease.
    Healthy people have a God-given right to move around. I'm one.

Why comply is a more rational question.

As for my stupid little life - I'm sorry to report that I've only got the one and I don't know how little is left.

Abbaesque wrote: »
    Hi,
    Are children’s after school classes allowed go ahead? Maximum of 14 socially distant- craft class? I thought not, but the organisers say yes- going ahead.. I would be interested in your thoughts,
    Emer

Organised indoor events for sports, arts are not allowed in Level 3.
    I assume that would apply typically to a craft class.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad569-level-3/#sports

Unless all the kids are from same class\year in the school itself I am surprised this is going ahead.

Thanks Odessey- that’s what I thought, and I queried it but was told it was an educational class ( life skill maybe) and they were very strict about social distancing. But all the children are from different schools and teacher from out of county. I have paid upfront, but don’t know what to do now, as I don’t feel that comfortable with it..

• Advertisement

Asymptomatic people may feel healthy, but will be shedding the virus wherever they go.. this is about other people and their health, not the individual travelling..
    topper75 wrote: »
    Because not everybody who moves everywhere is spreading disease.
    Healthy people have a God-given right to move around. I'm one.

Why comply is a more rational question.

As for my stupid little life - I'm sorry to report that I've only got the one and I don't know how little is left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Crossed the border twice this morning, no sign of any check points etc though the PSNI have a speed van at Blacklion, did pass a chick point at home when I was leaving - in the middle of the county, no idea what that is for???

I hope those chicks were good looking

ebbsy wrote: »
    I hope those chicks were good looking
    Nordie accents, bejasus!
    Auto correct having it’s evil way lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Thomas..

Can I go outside and have sex with my wife and can the neighbors watch?

How many are allowed to watch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Thomas.. wrote: »
    Can I go outside and have sex with my wife and can the neighbors watch?

I don't see why not!
    Thomas.. wrote: »
    How many are allowed to watch ?

I think it would be a "gathering", in which case at most 15.

All more than 2 metres apart, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Does travelling to another county to look at buying a new car fall in to essential travel?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Does travelling to another county to look at buying a new car fall in to essential travel?

It's not listed as one of the specific exceptions in the SI either in a general or specific sense to do with accessing retail not available in own county... so it's an open question as to whether it would be considered a reasonable excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

No, it does not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭global23214124

It's a recommendation at this stage so you could go if you wanted. Might be better to hold off on it though.

Advertisement