Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Fann Linn wrote:
    Why is this even an issue here when a quick call to the local council could provide the answer?

Call them on Monday. I'm sure you will find that they are closed to the general public. This does not mean that they aren't working. Just not dealing with the public

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Can I still get a bus to local shops when I will need to buy food

Yes but they will be cutting back on bus services so they'll be less frequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Yo can leave your house to buy food. If you need to get a bus to get to the shops then I believe that's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I presume yes if there are buses and as long as its a food shop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Out of interest, how close was the contact with the Garda? Did they have a mask on?

No mask. Stood a few feet away from the van. He was very pleasant. He asked what I thought of the new measures brought in last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭appledrop

mikekerry wrote: »
    Does anyone have clarification on this ?
    Can parents take their kids out for a walk or can only 1 parent go out at a time with the kids?
    Is there a specific instruction regarding this and if so can someone send the link.
    Also are the parks all closed?

Leo clearly stated that people in a family unit can go out for a walk together once within 2km of home . Dont know who decided here about 1 parent thing its nonsense.

I live in Fingal + seems like parks are open in likes of Malahide Castle etc but car parks closed. This makes sense as if you want to use facility you should be in walking distance if your abiding by 2km rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Going to be one thing telling my fit 70 year old Dad to stay away from the shop.

Not going for a walk or cycle will be impossible.

Advise him to listen back to RTE Morning Ireland this morning. The people on after 8.30 will put the fear of God into him.

Just curious - why is booze an essential product? Says a fair bit about us! Don't get me wrong, I like my bottle of beer but....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Public notice in today's Irish Times
    Can you provide a link to this somehow? I've posted it on the megathread, and practically been accused of making it up, or it being "outdated information". I've tried looking on the IT website but can't find it.

What if you don't have a collection and need to bring it to a council yard?

I live in Fingal + our council have said all their bring centre etc are now closed to public. So try check out Twitter page etc fir your local council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Can you go for a drive? Outside of 2 km? Say if you go for a drive and stay in your car continuously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭John.G

Phoebas wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the rules re cocooning?

Does cocooning mean that over 70s cannot go for a walk within 2km of their homes?.

John.G wrote: »
    Does cocooning mean that over 70s cannot go for a walk within 2km of their homes?.

Yes that's my reading of it.

However I cant see my parents sticking to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

I think as long as both parents have been taking the precautions and there is no “underlying health issues” then arrangements can continue as normal.

In fact, it might allow extra visits.

Will I need paperwork to walk 5 km to see my kid and drop groceries off to them so they don't need to go into the shops ? If I'm using common sense and wearing a mask will i be left alone ?
    I can work from home. So luckily I'm receiving no pay cuts. I bought N95 masks for them at an extortionate price and have made sure I was the only one who ever went near stores. They are 100% safe and I am as safe as possible.
    I have pets at my own home I can't abandon and elderly parents who are split up.

appledrop wrote: »
    Leo clearly stated that people in a family unit can go out for a walk together once within 2km of home . Dont know who decided here about 1 parent thing its nonsense.

What he said was individual brief exercise with the exception of children from same household.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

They haven't always taken it seriously, they responded well the last handful of weeks but they didn't take it seriously at the start otherwise you would not have had medical staff coming back from hotspots going straight to work in hospitals and the HSE wouldn't be waiting for the ventilators as they government would have put an export ban in until the state had an adequate number for itself (same for PPE)

50% of the world's ventilators are made in Ireland. Had we banned export of them, we would have done far more economic damage to the country than any lockdown can do. Such selfishness will be remembered after the crisis has past, as will the carry on from some European countries.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    RTÉ is a good source for news

Under the new restrictions, people not 'cocooning' can leave their homes for a walk/run within a 2km limit, but can travel beyond the 2km limit for food shopping.

There is no need to panic buy or stockpile and supply chains are working well and will continue to do so.

The 2km limit relates to physical exercise within your locality.

You gave a smart reply to start and then didn’t even answer their question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Breakerz

When will the list of essential services be released? Very badly handled so far IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Will I need paperwork to walk 5 km to see my kid and drop groceries off to them so they don't need to go into the shops ? If I'm using common sense and wearing a mask will i be left alone ?

Yes comrade, have your papers in order or face the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Can I pick up my son from his mum. Short distance away. But is it considered essential

Breakerz wrote: »
    When will the list of essential services be released? Very badly handled so far IMO

That's extreme. The full list will be published today. They have already published advice for retail. The statutory instrument to give legal effect will be signed today or tomorrow. Cool the jets and take it easy. They're following the advice from the people who know how to handle this sort of thing and it's fast moving situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Breakerz wrote: »
    This from RTE this morning

Kerry25x wrote: »
    What he said was individual brief exercise with the exception of children from same household.

children are silent hosts for the virus and shouldn't be seen or heard in public ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Kerry25x wrote: »

Look at this attachment from the HSE. It clearly states that you should stay within your own household group.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

That's only retail. The full list for every sector will be published today.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Can I pick up my son from his mum. Short distance away. But is it considered essential

Leave him there comrade, in the national interest.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    People not cocooning can exercise and those that are can’t it’s simple

Do all over 70’s have to “cocoon”?

Penfailed wrote: »
    Look at this attachment from the HSE. It clearly states that you should stay within your own household group.

Yes I've seen that. Nobody here made up "one parent nonsense" as that poster stated. It was a very fair interpretation from Leo's speech. Hopefully they will clarify soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Yes comrade, have your papers in order or face the consequences.

LOL. I'm supportive of the war against the virus currently.
    Theres nothing sadder for society than a Garda or any official acting "thick" and not using common sense when dealing with a supportive citizen. Up to now Ive found them overwhelmingly 'not thick' but if going for a walk makes one a suspect and these really are unusual times

• Advertisement

Do all over 70’s have to “cocoon”?

Absolutely. Please OBEY the rules and respect your house arrest. The government has spoken.

Advertisement