Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coillte Trails - Stay at Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

The issue with Ticknock is there just aren't enough spaces there to satisfy demand. In the last 2 years I've have seen a huge increase in the numbers of people up there at weekends. I've often said that an ambulance or fire engine wouldn't make it up that road due to the idiots parking on both sides. I'm sorry, but if you arrive there and there's nowhere left to park your car, move on.

I'd have no issue with them putting in paid parking. But then I usually park at the Gap anyway, and pedal up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

agree 100% that there should be no parking outside car parks
    on narrow roads.

The lack of traffic, mostly, since the lockdown has really confirmed to me tha where I live there should be local access only cause theres no where to go at a certain point on my road * and.its a dead.end)and all the land is private beyond that.

I d guess my neighbours would agree as.well as all the cyclists and walkers who's be safer and don't have to inhale diesel and petrol fumes. less rubbish too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

From the 18th, groups of 4 may have a socially distanced group ride 5km from home...

Progress!

But not sure when forestry carparks will open again, maybe phase 3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    From the 18th, groups of 4 may have a socially distanced group ride 5km from home...

Progress!

But not sure when forestry carparks will open again, maybe phase 3

Car parks aren't that important when you should only be going there if within 5km

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

Alkers wrote: »
    Car parks aren't that important when you should only be going there if within 5km

True but also saw this.

https://wicklownews.net/2020/05/county-council-to-open-car-parks-from-monday/

• Advertisement

Alkers wrote: »

That's pretty obvious yea..

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

There were a good few cars parked on Ticknock road this morning! Lads going biking.
    They had to pass the road blocks also.

Bot1 wrote: »
    There were a good few cars parked on Ticknock road this morning! Lads going biking.
    They had to pass the road blocks also.

Yea I heard that alright, I'd expect to see double yellow painted lines the length of the entire road soon, would say the locals are going apesh1t over the parking...

I’ve seen it in wales and Scotland where there is no car access beyond a certain point, actually two places in Wicklow too I can think of, As a local you do get pretty fed up with the stupid parking, on blind Bends etc and no way a fire engine could pass

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I noticed Coilte carparks for Hellfire and Cruagh re-opened this morning for 7am so guessing Ticknock will probably be the same. Be interested to see how well social distancing will be maintained, particularly on narrower tracks.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    I noticed Coilte carparks for Hellfire and Cruagh re-opened this morning for 7am so guessing Ticknock will probably be the same. Be interested to see how well social distancing will be maintained, particularly on narrower tracks.

I'd be more curious to know how many of the cars parked up at Ticknock etc. are registered to addresses within 5km... :pac:

smacl wrote: »

Spun across to Cruagh yesterday afternoon, cars all over the place parked on the road so probably as well off to open the car park, Kilmashogue car park open today too, assume ticknock is as well

I'd be more curious to know how many of the cars parked up at Ticknock etc. are registered to addresses within 5km... :pac:

Compliance With 5km and essential journeys has deteriorated markedly From what I can see, was chatting to a work colleague who’s plays a lot of golf. He was saying over 50% of names on the timesheet were from Dublin and the club is in Kildare

Apparently same story at other clubs around the place. The government akded the clubs to police it who then asked their members to..

Hope that r0 number stays low ...

Was up ticknock earlier, great evening and all but don't think I’ve ever seen so many mtbers Up there. Trails are now super dusty

Was up ticknock earlier, great evening and all but don't think I’ve ever seen so many mtbers Up there. Trails are now super dusty

All locals too I bet! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lemming wrote: »
    I think paid parking is a deterrent to people using an amenity; what they need is not-infrequent periodic enforcement outside of the designated parking areas so scenes like the above don't happen.

A few visits dolling out parking tickets in quick succession over a few weeks will send the message out. Then they can just do less frequent visits for a while, then rinse repeat. Once bitten, twice shy, etc.
    I wouldn't be a fan of paid parking and I never drive up there. A parkign attendant from South Dublin CC who comes in at random times and tickets everyone parked incorrectly would be a better way to do it IMO. At the minute though, in the current crisis, have a parking attendant at the gate, only those over a certain age or who have mobility issues can get in and that's that.
    Compliance With 5km and essential journeys has deteriorated markedly From what I can see, was chatting to a work colleague who’s plays a lot of golf. He was saying over 50% of names on the timesheet were from Dublin and the club is in Kildare
    Doesn't exist anymore as far as I can see. No garda checkpoints either. A brother in law is a golfer and he seen a golf club on the news and one of the guys talking was from at least 60km away
    Hope that r0 number stays low ...
    You and me both, but alas by the time we see if it doesn't it will already have done a fair whack of damage.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Doesn't exist anymore as far as I can see. No garda checkpoints either. A brother in law is a golfer and he seen a golf club on the news and one of the guys talking was from at least 60km away.

Mate of mine was saying that the Gards did have a checkpoint on the way up to Ticknock yesterday evening, and did turn people back...
    So I guess you go up and take your chances...

Regarding the parking, I think a €5 charge for places like Ticknock would be a good idea, and use the revenue for maintenance of the carpark area and stick in some bins for all the bags of Dog poop! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I feel sorry for those who think MTB only happens in trails centre. Open mountains = you hardly meet anyone.

I feel sorry for those who think MTB only happens in trails centre. Open mountains = you hardly meet anyone.

Also, so many other places to ride your bike apart from Ticknock. I hope most will realise this and maybe try to hit different spots once the restrictions ease. Otherwise there'll be a tailback to Ballymount on the M50!

Shhh, don’t be encouraging them or you’ll start meeting more people..

I’ve never been up ticknock So much as recently cause I’m sticking to the limits but given the current dry conditions I’d be elsewhere

• Advertisement

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Also, so many other places to ride your bike apart from Ticknock. I hope most will realise this and maybe try to hit different spots once the restrictions ease. Otherwise there'll be a tailback to Ballymount on the M50!

I remember before the full lockdown came into force Ballinastoe was just crazy, people were practically parking in every ditch along the road from the trailcentre parking area.. I predict a similar situation after the 8th of June...

I remember before the full lockdown came into force Ballinastoe was just crazy, people were practically parking in every ditch along the road from the trailcentre parking area.. I predict a similar situation after the 8th of June...

I was in Ballinastoe myself on the Sunday before Lockdown, although we went along around 4pm and it was grand. Not every spin has to start at 10am - if people spaced out a bit better over the day there wouldn't be the same issues.

Can't wait to hit the trails again, but I'll be steering clear of Ticknock/Ballinastoe/GAP for the first couple of weeks anyway. And will try to get out in afternoons/evenings and skip weekend mornings for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

In fairness everywhere in Wicklow was the same. Glendalough was so bad the gards had to close the carpark. My local options are mostly fire road but better that than sitting in a traffic jam headed to Wicklow in June unless it rains, then we'll be fine ;)

I've noticed over the last year or so more and more walkers are parking at Ballinastoe. If anything i think the bike trials are quieter than before.
    Same with Djouce, a lot more walkers lately (pre lockdown), but not a huge change in amount of bikes.

prunudo wrote: »
    I've noticed over the last year or so more and more walkers are parking at Ballinastoe. If anything i think the bike trials are quieter than before.
    Same with Djouce, a lot more walkers lately (pre lockdown), but not a huge change in amount of bikes.

Not sure how busy Djouce Golf course is but they could make a fortune if they opened up the parking to the public...

If you go down to the Woods today.... Be careful:

IymVCnY.png

On a side note, just look at the CARnage around by the Hellfire, you'd swear people were locked in their homes for months and hadn't seen the sun!

Next weekend is due to be warm, sunny and dry so more CARnage...

Hope the biker was okay and makes full recovery.

I know i probably shouldn't be, but I'm always amazed at people's lack of self awareness when parking in situations like above, they have no thought for what or who might have to pass by their badly parked car.

prunudo wrote: »
    Hope the biker was okay and makes full recovery.
    I know i probably shouldn't be, but I'm always amazed at people's lack of self awareness when parking in situations like above, they have no thought for what or who might have to pass by their badly parked car.

Looks like it happened on the top Metro trail after Tom's climb?

It will only get worse unless you have Gardai plus a couple of tow-trucks doing loops around the forestry carparks....

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Looks like it happened on the top Metro trail after Tom's climb?

It will only get worse unless you have Gardai plus a couple of tow-trucks doing loops around the forestry carparks....

Not sure if anyone has gone down the new black, 'penguin' near Tom's trail. I'm lost for words. Cliff, rockface is all that comes to mind.

• Advertisement

mad turnip wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has gone down the new black, 'penguin' near Tom's trail. I'm lost for words. Cliff, rockface is all that comes to mind.

Haven't gone down any MTB trails in about 2 months now...

#5kfromhome #stayhomestaysafe

:)

Advertisement