Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coillte Trails - Stay at Home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

mad turnip wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has gone down the new black, 'penguin' near Tom's trail. I'm lost for words. Cliff, rockface is all that comes to mind.

Where is that exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    If you go down to the Woods today.... Be careful:

IymVCnY.png

On a side note, just look at the CARnage around by the Hellfire, you'd swear people were locked in their homes for months and hadn't seen the sun!

Next weekend is due to be warm, sunny and dry so more CARnage...

That road leading to the Hellfire has been like that a lot this year, pre virus. Some people are just selfish idiots. And the ridiculous thing is that further up the road at Cruagh, and even Tibradden, there's plenty of parking in the actual carparks.

People out for walks apparently don't want to walk too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hurrache wrote: »
    That road leading to the Hellfire has been like that a lot this year, pre virus. Some people are just selfish idiots. And the ridiculous thing is that further up the road at Cruagh, and even Tibradden, there's plenty of parking in the actual carparks.

One emergency service missing from the pic is the Gardai, they don't seem to be about anymore trying to control parking around the Dublin mountains?
    People will continue to abandon there cars wherever they can as there's no consequences for doing so...

Nah, you'll never see them do anything re parking etc anywhere really, never mind the mountains. Last time I saw them do any sort of high profile activity in these areas was the time they had checkpoints on the roads to the various recreational sites after a glut of car break ins at the usual car parks.

Not only is it dangerous due to this issue the fire brigade highlighted, you then also have people drive towards you on the wrong side of the road to get around them without giving way to you when you're already progressing, rightly, on your side of the road. It then bloody leads to gridlock because you'll have others behind them also chancing their arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

This is also a reminder to us all to take it easy when we get back on the trails. I can't remember the last time I went 2 months without getting out on the bike. I've been doing a bit of fitness work, but skills will be rusty. Probably best not to launch straight into the really rough stuff first day back!

If you go down to the Woods today.... Be careful:

IymVCnY.png

On a side note, just look at the CARnage around by the Hellfire, you'd swear people were locked in their homes for months and hadn't seen the sun!

Next weekend is due to be warm, sunny and dry so more CARnage...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

And what has been done about it?

One emergency service missing from the pic is the Gardai, they don't seem to be about anymore trying to control parking around the Dublin mountains?
    People will continue to abandon there cars wherever they can as there's no consequences for doing so...

People do lots of things because they fear no consequence.
    So there needs to be consequences .
    It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

Rodin wrote: »
    People do lots of things because they fear no consequence.
    So there needs to be consequences .
    It's that simple.

Unfortunately that’s what required before a lot of people change their behaviour

I said it before Here but myself and all my neighbors are fed up with all the traffic and stupid parking, on the narrow cul de sac road we live on,parking in front gates and on blind corners.

I was over cruagh direction yesterday and I am pretty sure I saw that fire engine, seemed to come from glencullen direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rte news at one broadcasting from ticknock live there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Rodin wrote: »
    And what has been done about it?

Gards issued fines to all the cars parked on the road for 2 weekends in a row. Also on Stocking Lane further up last week but think they were looking for someone as 4 cars and a chopper lapping the hill.

• Advertisement

nak wrote: »
    Gards issued fines to all the cars parked on the road for 2 weekends in a row. Also on Stocking Lane further up last week but think they were looking for someone as 4 cars and a chopper lapping the hill.

A fine doesn't move an obstructive vehicle.

nak wrote: »
    Gards issued fines to all the cars parked on the road for 2 weekends in a row.

I'd like to see the Gards issuing Covid fines also, the 5k radius from say Cruagh or Tibradden car parks only scrapes small areas of Whitechurch, Scholarstown areas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Dont think anything will happen until theres a fatality unfortunately.
    As someone who cycles to trails, I've had a few near misses going down ticknock road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

Before the recent upgrades to Ticknock parking (double yellows, boulders, etc) the entire place was an absolute free for all. I very nearly got my car stuck in the ditch trying to get past and abandoned car on the climb to the top car park. Not a hope a fire brigade or ambulance would make it up.

I even said as much to a woman returning to her car which was causing a clear obstruction and she just replies "I didn't park it here". Well, who did?!

Anyway, I got caught out on Saturday on a drop I thought I could roll, but caught the front wheel on the landing and launched over the bars. Came down hard on my shoulder and broke my collarbone in 2 places. Not sure of the name of the trail, but a friend of a friend was the guy on Sunday who did the same not 30 seconds away on the lower end of the trail. Not sure yet, but think this was the incident DFB posted about.
    mad turnip wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has gone down the new black, 'penguin' near Tom's trail. I'm lost for words. Cliff, rockface is all that comes to mind.

Not sure where that is, but I came off here, about 5m from the fire road:
    514247.png

The biking.ie guys "aren't allowed" to open the gate for someone to drive up to me, which I presume means that they had a key. Understandable to an extent in that they can't have people driving up all the time with kids about, and to be fair to the guys there every weekend, they're always extremely helpful.

But only options then, were to either escalate the whole situation by calling an ambulance, which likely would have meant also getting Coillte to open the gate, and also mountain rescue, or suffer the 1.5km walk back to the car, which I chose as I was able, but was the most painful thing I've ever done. Some middle ground would have been nice.

Surgery planned for Wednesday to sort it out.

Before the recent upgrades to Ticknock parking (double yellows, boulders, etc) the entire place was an absolute free for all. I very nearly got my car stuck in the ditch trying to get past and abandoned car on the climb to the top car park. Not a hope a fire brigade or ambulance would make it up.

I even said as much to a woman returning to her car which was causing a clear obstruction and she just replies "I didn't park it here". Well, who did?!

Anyway, I got caught out on Saturday on a drop I thought I could roll, but caught the front wheel on the landing and launched over the bars. Came down hard on my shoulder and broke my collarbone in 2 places. Not sure of the name of the trail, but a friend of a friend was the guy on Sunday who did the same not 30 seconds away on the lower end of the trail. Not sure yet, but think this was the incident DFB posted about.

Not sure where that is, but I came off here, about 5m from the fire road:
    514247.png

The biking.ie guys "aren't allowed" to open the gate for someone to drive up to me, which I presume means that they had a key. Understandable to an extent in that they can't have people driving up all the time with kids about, and to be fair to the guys there every weekend, they're always extremely helpful.

But only options then, were to either escalate the whole situation by calling an ambulance, which likely would have meant also getting Coillte to open the gate, and also mountain rescue, or suffer the 1.5km walk back to the car, which I chose as I was able, but was the most painful thing I've ever done. Some middle ground would have been nice.

Surgery planned for Wednesday to sort it out.

That’s a pain, hopefully you have a speedy recovery, mountain rescue should have access to gate keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Tenzor07 wrote:
    One emergency service missing from the pic is the Gardai, they don't seem to be about anymore trying to control parking around the Dublin mountains? People will continue to abandon there cars wherever they can as there's no consequences for doing so...

Bangarda was moving people from parking on the road out by cruagh yesterday morning about 11am. Hellfire wasn't bad at that point, just one ignorant prick across from Masseys)

Really need a few tow trucks up there. They'd pocket a small fortune!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not at the woods but I know Wicklow gardai were ticketing and towing cars parked on the road for Magheramore beach yesterday.

That’s a pain, hopefully you have a speedy recovery, mountain rescue should have access to gate keys.

Thanks! I'm sure they would, but didn't want to turn an injury into a whole rigmarole which actually would have taken more time to sort out.

I'm under 3km from the Hellfire car park too, so see the arrogance of people up there regularly enough too. Gards should be up there constantly, bad parking really does make for a more dangerous cycle past, nevermind emergency services.

Over the coming few weeks i'm sure there will be a lot more people returning to the trails...Like myself I haven't been MTB'ing in over 2 months...

The message is... stay on the Coillte trails! Those bandit trails are made for Enduro racing and/or by or for advanced riders...

Not picking on anyone but to ease the pressure on the Emergency services I think it's sound advice, we're still in the middle of a pandemic after all, and i'd hate to go to A&E Covid free and after a week or so contract the virus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

Mountain Rescue have the keys to everywhere. And they're well able to hoof it up to you if all that doesn't work. The ambulance crews don't have the keys and coillte won't open gates either. If you need emergency assistance, don't hesitate to call 999 and specifically ask for mountain rescue. The calltakers might not get a huge number of mountain calls and not realise that an ambulance isn't much use on it's own if they can't drive to you so you might have to be specific about the fact that you're not on a road or near a road and that you need mountain rescue. Someone from the team will call you and discuss the problem and the potential solution with you before anything else happens.

• Advertisement

WAPAIC wrote: »
    Mountain Rescue have the keys to everywhere. And they're well able to hoof it up to you if all that doesn't work. The ambulance crews don't have the keys and coillte won't open gates either. If you need emergency assistance, don't hesitate to call 999 and specifically ask for mountain rescue. The calltakers might not get a huge number of mountain calls and not realise that an ambulance isn't much use on it's own if they can't drive to you so you might have to be specific about the fact that you're not on a road or near a road and that you need mountain rescue. Someone from the team will call you and discuss the problem and the potential solution with you before anything else happens.

Good advice, someone with a clear head should make sure to speak directly with mountain rescue so that a good assessment of what’s required can be made. I didn’t do this once, I let someone else make the Initial call and communication was very unclear, ended up been airlifted off many hours after I could have been and after I I spoke to someone directly.

Sorry to hear that, hope you've made a full recovery since.

Not sure where tat is, but I came off here, about 5m from the fire road:
    514247.png

Where you went OTB, was it in the woods where the green arrow is, or was it in the woods on the opposite side of the fireroad, where the two red trails are (the one to the right of the green arrow, adjacent to Sully's Gully, is called Red Tractor)?

Over the coming few weeks i'm sure there will be a lot more people returning to the trails...Like myself I haven't been MTB'ing in over 2 months...

The message is... stay on the Coillte trails! Those bandit trails are made for Enduro racing and/or by or for advanced riders...

Same here, only my second time back as Ticknock was outside the 2km limit, but within in 5km for me. Less time on the bike lately can't have helped.

Genuinely was taking it easy in order to keep myself that bit safer, given the circumstances, but taking it slow is what caused it ironically enough. Had I more speed, it would have been okay.

It's the first little drop in to this trail, I wouldn't rate it as difficult at all, but I was caught out all the same.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CAnw-8VHBca/?igshid=iwq3532fhibi

I'm not quick, but I can confidently take on the vast majority of non-coillte trails, and do know my limit and walk where I have to. I wouldn't think of it as me taking on something I just wasn't able for.
    fatbhoy wrote: »
    Where you went OTB, was it in the woods where the green arrow is, or was it in the woods on the opposite side of the fireroad, where the two red trails are (the one to the right of the green arrow, adjacent to Sully's Gully, is called Red Tractor)?

It was the North side of the fire road, just where the tip of the green arrow is.

Apparently very close to where a guy broke his femur on Sunday.

Same here, only my second time back as Ticknock was outside the 2km limit, but within in 5km for me. Less time on the bike lately can't have helped.
    Genuinely was taking it easy in order to keep myself that bit safer, given the circumstances, but taking it slow is what caused it ironically enough. Had I more speed, it would have been okay.
    It's the first little drop in to this trail, I wouldn't rate it as difficult at all, but I was caught out all the same.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CAnw-8VHBca/?igshid=iwq3532fhibi
    I'm not quick, but I can confidently take on the vast majority of non-coillte trails, and do know my limit and walk where I have to. I wouldn't think of it as me taking on something I just wasn't able for.
    It was the North side of the fire road, just where the tip of the green arrow is.
    Apparently very close to where a guy broke his femur on Sunday.

Yea that's my point about who these trails are built for, that guy Dan Wolfe has raced World Cup Enduro I believe, so highly skilled....

Not saying you in particular, but in general riders should try to stay on the official trails and within their limits, the man made trails can be hard to get to for the Ambulance and they may have to call out the rescue Helicopter... Even for that one I posted the pic about, it took a mountain rescue van and crew, a Dublin Fire Brigade truck and an Ambulance, it's a lot of resources to take up for a few hours when they may be needed elsewhere especially in the Covid19 Health crisis...

Hope the surgery goes well, broke mine years ago (not bike related) and got away without requiring it.

That map that's linked to with the trails named in it, I've never seen that before, where is it from?

Hope the surgery goes well, broke mine years ago (not bike related) and got away without requiring it.

That may that's linked to with the trails named in it, I've never seen that before, where is it from?

TrailForks app/website.

Yea that's my point about who these trails are built for, that guy Dan Wolfe has raced World Cup Enduro I believe, so highly skilled....

Not saying you in particular, but in general riders should try to stay on the official trails and within their limits, the man made trails can be hard to get to for the Ambulance and they may have to call out the rescue Helicopter... Even for that one I posted the pic about, it took a mountain rescue van and crew, a Dublin Fire Brigade truck and an Ambulance, it's a lot of resources to take up for a few hours when they may be needed elsewhere especially in the Covid19 Health crisis...

Just to emphasis the point I made above. If you need help and you're not on a road, call 999 and ask for mountain rescue. They will do the rest and have no difficulty getting to the trails and getting broken people back out from there safely. Ambulances only carry two crew and a hospital style stretcher, no good if you're on rough ground. First step will be to call you back and figure out what's going on. If it's only an ambulance that is needed, they'll help the ambulance to get to your location quicker. Heli is rarely needed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

I totally agree with all the points being made here and we should all scale back on risk particularly at this time - however MTB is an inherently risky activity regardless of the trail on which you are riding - you could also break your arm riding a mellow blue run!

Which scares me a little as I ride solo - mostly early in the morning.

I have Garmin incident detection inabled and have strava beacon set-up at least but it's still a risk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭prunudo

Bot1 wrote: »
    I totally agree with all the points being made here and we should all scale back on risk particularly at this time - however MTB is an inherently risky activity regardless of the trail on which you are riding - you could also break your arm riding a mellow blue run!

Which scares me a little as I ride solo - mostly early in the morning.

I have Garmin incident detection inabled and have strava beacon set-up at least but it's still a risk!

Thinks of the positives, at least we don't have deadly spiders here spinning webs arcoss trails during the night!

Advertisement