Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coillte Trails - Stay at Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

WAPAIC wrote: »
    Just to emphasis the point I made above. If you need help and you're not on a road, call 999 and ask for mountain rescue. They will do the rest and have no difficulty getting to the trails and getting broken people back out from there safely. Ambulances only carry two crew and a hospital style stretcher, no good if you're on rough ground. First step will be to call you back and figure out what's going on. If it's only an ambulance that is needed, they'll help the ambulance to get to your location quicker. Heli is rarely needed tbh.

If the chopper is out and about and the injured party is on steep ground and it’s safe to drop a winch man and stretcher it’s as easy to use helicopter. Alternative is a big team of mountain rescue people to stretcher the injured party off, need to be done in relay, can’t remember exact number of people required but it could be 12 or 16.

Of course there needs to be a safe set down area for wiNch man
    Can’t to too windy (gusts more so) and
    Clear from trees

So don’t wreck yourself in a forest on steep ground a good bit away from the nearest fire road

Bot1 wrote: »
    I totally agree with all the points being made here and we should all scale back on risk particularly at this time - however MTB is an inherently risky activity regardless of the trail on which you are riding - you could also break your arm riding a mellow blue run!

Which scares me a little as I ride solo - mostly early in the morning.

I have Garmin incident detection inabled and have strava beacon set-up at least but it's still a risk!

Unless you’re doing stunts, More people seem to wreck themselves playing 5 side football on a Tuesday night in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

Well, either way, the heli is requested by mountain rescue anyway so the first thing to do is to call mountain rescue and talk to them. If the heli is needed, it will be requested. They usually like to see mountain rescue on the ground anyway, to give them a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

Unless you’re doing stunts, More people seem to wreck themselves playing 5 side football on a Tuesday night in my experience

Ha. Totally true. I've injured myself way more playing 5-a-side in the past!

I also do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which is an very demanding martial art but I hardly ever injure myself doing it! And when I do, it's mostly just broken fingers and toes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Ah lads, come on, it's not reasonable to be sticking to the Coilte tracks exclusively. As long as you're riding within yourself during the restrictions and not sending stuff like a mad thing then it's all good. And even then, I'd be practicing the live-and-let-live life policy towards people who want to take more of a risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Ah lads, come on, it's not reasonable to be sticking to the Coilte tracks exclusively. As long as you're riding within yourself during the restrictions and not sending stuff like a mad thing then it's all good. And even then, I'd be practicing the live-and-let-live life policy towards people who want to take more of a risk.

Yea I get it, nothing is without risk, live n let live and all that stuff...

Just saying people should think about the Mountain rescue volunteers who may be called out to assist, they are front line workers and obviously want to minimise the risks of catching Covid19 when they go to take someone off the hill, it's not possible to socially distance when you're giving first aid to an injured person so the risks are high to the team. The Virus still hasn't gone away and there's new cases every day..

Same for the ambulance, fire brigade and helicopter crews who may have to be called out, it's a heck of a lot of resources that are used and imagine how many calls they could get over a sunny June bank holiday weekend...

All i'm saying is stay safe within your 5k exercise limit, stay on the main trails and try to have someone with you in case a fall occurs....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

fatbhoy wrote: »
    ... I'd be practicing the live-and-let-live life policy towards people who want to take more of a risk.

In theory, I very much agree with you, but should that not really read "live-and-let-die" policy?
    The problem is that the people who take stupid risks are the same people who tie up valuable resources when the inevitable happens and they have a serious accident! By all means do what ever you want (as long as it doesn't put anyone else in danger) but ambulances and helicopters are not "out and about" (as someone suggested above!!) so don't expect to be rescued if you f**k-up!!

C3PO wrote: »
    In theory, I very much agree with you, but should that not really read "live-and-let-die" policy?
    The problem is that the people who take stupid risks are the same people who tie up valuable resources when the inevitable happens and they have a serious accident! By all means do what ever you want (as long as it doesn't put anyone else in danger) but ambulances and helicopters are not "out and about" (as someone suggested above!!) so don't expect to be rescued if you f**k-up!!

Not commenting on people’s own risk assessment of what they should be doing or how this may potentially be impacted by current covid-19 but if you sped a lot of time up the hills, not necessarily mountain biking, You’d notice a Sikorsky Is often out and about often picking up a walker with a lower limb injury or on a training exercise, particularly when the weather is good and there are lots of people on the hills. Anyway don’t want to be a keyboard warrior or anything just clarifying my earlier point above Which you appeared to be Referring to.
    my point was that if someone needs to be carted off because of limb, back or neck injury it might well be easier to pick up in a chopper rather than mobilising 20 or so people from mountain rescue to carry the person to The nearest accessible point for a vehicle

Of course self rescue would be the best approach but **** does happen sometimes, not necessarily from reckless behaviour Or poor judgement of circumstances/environment but sheer bad luck

The rescue helicopter is probably the last option used and only for the more difficult cases, as I'd say it probably costs something in the region of €5,000 per hour to keep it in the air.
    I have seen it where Gardai, Mountain rescue as well as an advance paramedic go and locate the injured person, provide first aid and assistance to the helicopter crew in getting the person onboard, so they definitely don't go around plucking people off the hill like that game where you can win a prize....

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The rescue helicopter is probably the last option used and only for the more difficult cases, as I'd say it probably costs something in the region of €5,000 per hour to keep it in the air.
    I have seen it where Gardai, Mountain rescue as well as an advance paramedic go and locate the injured person, provide first aid and assistance to the helicopter crew in getting the person onboard, so they definitely don't go around plucking people off the hill like that game where you can win a prize....

The ICRR Air Ambulance is part of the ICRR charity who also have a network of Volunteer Doctor’s responding to serious medical emergencies and fighting the COVID-19 pandemic on the frontlines. The ICRR Air Ambulance is tasked through the National Ambulance Service’s (NAS) National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) via 999/112 calls. Each mission on average costs €3500.

Thats a copy and paste from the air ambulance down here in munster.

• Advertisement

If you’ve ever tried to carry someone over steep rough ground for any distance you’d see how you’d want to avoid it, I’ll check my facts the next time I’m talking to someone I know in the Dublin/Wicklow team, out of curiousness..

Think we’re all agreed avoiding having to call out any emergency services is the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hurrache wrote: »
    Well there you go

Yet the carpark at the Viewpoint further up that road was empty and poor Mr. Whippy in his van had no customers at the time I was there.

I would say that if the Gard on the motorbike around the corner from the viewpoint at the start of the Featherbeds road wasn't there turning people around it may have allowed people(not just in cars) to spread out a bit further....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

Whatever happened the plan for increased car parking at the hell fire club? Wasn't there some big master plan for the area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Yet the carpark at the Viewpoint further up that road was empty and poor Mr. Whippy in his van had no customers at the time I was there.

I would say that if the Gard on the motorbike around the corner from the viewpoint at the start of the Featherbeds road wasn't there turning people around it may have allowed people(not just in cars) to spread out a bit further....

Far fewer people within 5km of the Viewing point than the Hellfire though. Mister Whippy might be better off getting to the Hellfire car park earlier and working from there ;) I cycle that way for my early morning spin and the cars are building up long before the gate opens. Wouldn't go near the place much after 9am, was up at the Hellfire yesterday about 7am and there were a bunch of teens camping up there too. Seen a few wild camping in Masseys too. Roll on the 20km limit on the 8th.

Speaking of campers, 3 seperate groups in Djouce yesterday, passed one with smoke rising from a fire. Idoits given the dry spell and red fire warning in operation.
    Approached a similar group 2 years ago during the last drought and was met with ignorance of the situation and was told they knew what they were doing, clowns :mad:

prunudo wrote: »
    Speaking of campers, 3 seperate groups in Djouce yesterday, passed one with smoke rising from a fire. Idoits given the dry spell and red fire warning in operation.
    Approached a similar group 2 years ago during the last drought and was met with ignorance of the situation and was told they knew what they were doing, clowns :mad:

Pretty sure a fire started there the last June b/h last year(or year before) that burnt loads of area up the tonduff side of the valley

Was up crone another time when there was a blaze, I passed some campers about 20 mins before who had packed up going home, a good chance it was them, luckily area was accessible from a fire road and fire brigade put it out very quickly

smacl wrote: »
    Far fewer people within 5km of the Viewing point than the Hellfire though. Mister Whippy might be better off getting to the Hellfire car park earlier and working from there ;) I cycle that way for my early morning spin and the cars are building up long before the gate opens. Wouldn't go near the place much after 9am, was up at the Hellfire yesterday about 7am and there were a bunch of teens camping up there too. Seen a few wild camping in Masseys too. Roll on the 20km limit on the 8th.

Ah that 5k limit is was ridiculous, compressing more people into smaller areas.
    Bunches of cyclists turned back around after seeing that Motorbike cop waiting around the corner.

prunudo wrote: »

I remember the time we saw a number of people walking out of Djouce woods like Zombies for hours...
    They were at a massive rave party with proper decks, huge speakers the lot...

All sorts of things go on in those woods! :eek: :D

If you want to see pure ignorant IDGAF parking car abandonment on the fireroad into a forest not far from Marlay park.

siMHW4r.jpg

How many no parking signs did the ignorant cant not see?

• Advertisement

If you want to see pure ignorant IDGAF parking car abandonment on the fireroad into a forest not far from Marlay park.

siMHW4r.jpg

How many no parking signs did the ignorant cant not see?
    there’s a house up that road too, the people who live there have been driven demented with people blocking their access

Someone made the point already A while back about trails in the US I think but ,I was up ticknock this evening doing some of the new trails in front of the mast and f)0k me they’re super super dusty and skiddy, not sure what the correct description is but definitely care needed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

After finally getting my bike back and fixed, and with the travel restrictions being eased, i'll be heading up to the Slieve Bloom trails early next week. Been a few years since i did any sort of riding, so i'll be taking it slowly, but i cannot wait to get out there and try them.

Mods: Can we change the thread title to "Don't stay at home" :)

With places such as Glencullen Adventure Park reopening next Saturday the 13th I believe.

And the Biking.ie coffee and bike rental shops all open at Ticknock and Ballinstoe.

Not to mention all car parks open around the country for forestry trails.

It's time to get back out there.... Within your County/20km of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

Just a question on Ballinastoe - how does it compare to Ticknock?
    Are there similar bandit trails? Or is it just the coillte trails?
    Worth a visit?
    Also what time does the gate open there?

Worth a visit?

Its longer for starters (14km loop), probably more climbing but broken up more evenly between trails. A lot of the unofficial stuff has gone now with felling over recent years but there's still bits to be had.
    Parking is on the road so you don't need to worry about opening times.

Crone trails were in great condition tonight, was great to be doing something other that ticknock, tibradden or cruagh at last

Worth a visit?

Don’t know any of the unofficial trails up there but have done it a few times at night in the winter and have had the place to ourselves, as few nice flowey trails there

Trails getting bulldozed this morning in front of the Ticknock mast(private land).

By coincidence I was just chatting to someone when I heard the news, he uses the land up there a lot and knows who owns it. We were saying there should be better coordination between walkers and bikers so that trails are built to keep away from walkers...

Unfortunately lock down has caused way more people to uses ticknock and heightened concerns of a lot of private landowners around Dublin who have seen massive increase in numbers, one of big landowners near me has stuck up private land signs for the first time ever

Hate to say it but young lads running over walkers seems to an issue too and of course the stupid fookin insurance situation in Ireland where everyone is afraid of being sued

• Advertisement

Obviously its up to the biker to be in control at all times but I've noticed a much more flippant attitude from some walkers lately to walking on trails which have been used predominantly as bike trails. They seem to be oblivious to the risks involved in walking on both on Coillte and natural trails.

Advertisement