Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New COVID-19 restrictions, 27 March, and Irish aircraft maintenance facilities

Options
  • 28-03-2020 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Does anybody know how the new restrictions announced tonight by Leo Varadker will affect the aircraft maintenance industry in Ireland?
    I know things like line maintenance and any maintenance on parked aircraft will still be required, as these aircraft may need to be put back in service at a moments notice.
    But what about the heavy maintenance facilities like the ones in Shannon and Dublin where aircraft are on the ground for several weeks at a time and would not be in a condition to fly for several weeks depending on how far along the maintenance is?
    In my opinion, the heavy maintenence facilities are not an essential buisiness as some aircraft would not be ready for several weeks anyway and also, so many operators have the majority of their fleets parked and would probably get one of those in the air faster.
    The only type of aircraft I would consider essential would be freighter aircraft if in maintenance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Too early to tell I would assume.
    "Transport" is deemed essential as is "vehicle repair" but I doubt heavy MX falls directly into either category.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭theValheru853

True. It is too early to tell, but with heavy aircraft maintanence not really affecting a big sector within the population, I doubt that they would specifically cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The guidance doesn’t mention the sector but the principle is that if something is required to keep the basics of the economy and transport system operating, it’s allowed. Otherwise I imagine it won’t be permitted to continue. The purpose of the restrictions is to limit as far as possible people’s interactions with each other so as to slow transmission in the population. To the extent that exceptions are allowed, the effectiveness of the measures is diluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

My company issued the staff with a letter that's from the government to state we are critical staff and that we must not be impeded while carrying out our work.
    My mate got a letter from.his airline but it's not backed by any government agency like our one is.
    I saw 3 check points today all asking people about their travels.
    Airlines and the annicilary work done would go under transport.

Advertisement