Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any of you who went to beaches and popular beauty spots last weekend now regret it

• 28-03-2020 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Just what it says in the title really. There were a lot of people on social media justifying their day trips out last weekend but, following condemnation from government and medical experts are any of you looking back and thinking "probably shouldn't have done that".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm guessing most of that crowd are more thinking "I'm glad we got to the beach before they shut it down" cos most of that crowd are morons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

Just what it says in the title really. There were a lot of people on social media justifying their day trips out last weekend but, following condemnation from government and medical experts are any of you looking back and thinking "probably shouldn't have done that".

Took the kids to dollymount last week, was overcast and kind of wet. Barely anyone around and we made sure to keep distance from others.

No regrets. We've been social isolating for several weeks now. Both our employers allowed us to work from home since the end of February so that's what we done.

We made a trip to St Anne's last week sometime but it looked busy so we continued on to a quieter park. Need to get the kids out for a run around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Your question to such types kinda falls at the first hurdle with the word in bold BB.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

circadian wrote: »
    Took the kids to dollymount last week, was overcast and kind of wet. Barely anyone around and we made sure to keep distance from others.

No regrets. We've been social isolating for several weeks now. Both our employers allowed us to work from home since the end of February so that's what we done.

We made a trip to St Anne's last week sometime but it looked busy so we continued on to a quieter park. Need to get the kids out for a run around.

If you're going to parks and beaches how can you be socially isolating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If you're going to parks and beaches how can you be socially isolating?

This is why further measures brought in.

The general public are confused with terms of 'social isolating' and even 'social distancing'.

During uncertain times, it's stupid to introduce new terms.

Everyone knows what 'Stay at Home' means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

whiskeyman wrote: »
    This is why further measures brought in.

The general public are confused with terms of 'social isolating' and even 'social distancing'.

It reminds me of vague buzzword business speak, the sort that sounds great around a commitee table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I plan on going for a 80km cycle over the weekend as it's the first decent stretch of weather in months.

🙈🙉🙊

I plan on going for a 80km cycle over the weekend as it's the first decent stretch of weather in months.

I plan on setting up camp at the beach, just for spite. I'm well entitled to thumb my nose at the guidelines, feck the begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

I hope you get two punctures, a broken chain and piles from the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I was walking the dog in marlay park last weekend (it's across the road from where I live) and was shocked at how busy it was. I walked through the grass areas to avoid people but the amount of people who would not stray from the footpath was mental. Practically bumping into each other in parts where it gets narrow over little bridges. I quickly left again.
    People don't get it. It's frustrating to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Would love to see you picked up by the guards and your probably expensive bike confiscated and crushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I hope you mean you're going to cycle 12.5 times around a 2km radius circle from your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

McGaggs wrote: »
    I hope you mean you're going to cycle 12.5 times around a 2km radius circle from your house.

Brief exercise only so no go for him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I hope you get two punctures, a broken chain and piles from the saddle.
    :D ahh jaysus. To be fair some bod on a pushbike who doesn't hang out with others is highly unlikely to be a wheeled typhoid mary or mark.

I was tempted the other day to throw the gear in the car and go flyflshing up an off the beaten track river. I'd have troubled nobody and likely have troubled fewer trout and would drive there and back. I won't now since the new guidelines and fair enough, but if I ignored them I'd be far less of a risk compared to the muppets hanging out in parks or estates with their kids mingling with other kids.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Should get a massive fine and spend a night in a cell. There is prison sentences for this sort of idiots going out like this in Italy etc.

Inteteresting that no one has come on yet and said yeah in hindsight it was irresponsible and we shouldn't have done it.

I presume without the new measures a lot of the same people would be heading to Bray and Howth again this weekend 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You should head to howth for a bag of chips and then down to glendalough. We're rooting for ya buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I'm guessing most of that crowd are more thinking "I'm glad we got to the beach before they shut it down" cos most of that crowd are morons

And it’s because of those morons that we have almost full lockdown now.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    And it’s because of those morons that we have almost full lockdown now.

And even now a lot of people will be trying to find ways around the new restrictions.

Some people just won't behave with a bit of decency unless the guards come and put a big chain across their gates.

And even then they'll probably be lifting little Ella and Jack over it to go out and play with their little friends because "ah shur they need a run around. They've been cooped up inside all day and it's not fair on them".

No, the people it's not fair on are the elderly and vulnerable who end up in intensive care with not enough ventilators to go around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Maybe people are just not into public flogging. I didn't go anywhere btw but in the woods next to my house where I walk the dog/run every day there are a lot more families with kids just going for a walk and making sure kids don't turn into fat little lumps. It's very easy for me living on a two acre site with a nice walk within 2km to tut at other people who live in a flat and feel trapped.

I really don't know what people expect with these threads. For someone to come here publicly state they are sorry and you can throw some stones at them.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    Maybe people are just not into public flogging. I didn't go anywhere btw but in the woods next to my house where I walk the dog/run every day there are a lot more families with kids just going for a walk and making sure kids don't turn into fat little lumps. It's very easy for me living on a two acre site with a nice walk within 2km to tut at other people who live in a flat and feel trapped.

I really don't know what people expect with these threads. For someone to come here publicly state they are sorry and you can throw some stones at them.

No, I'm just curious to know if the message is sinking in or are the same people going to continue to put others at risk for as long as they can get away with it.

Leo Varadker and Tony Holahan were very clear last night about the importance of getting the virus back out of the community and contained within households. As someone living with a family member who has cancer it is vital to me that people listen to this message.

I drove out to Sligo from Dublin for the day last weekend. Took a stroll on Dunmoran strand, and sat and read a book. Didn’t come within 10 metres, let alone two, of another human all day. I genuinely don’t understand what exactly people are telling me I should feel guilty about

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

DavyD_83 wrote: »

I guess I'm one of those morons. I went to the beach and I came into close contact with nobody. I live in an apartment in the city centre. The part of Dublin I live in is not exactly flush with parks and green spaces. So I will come into close contact with many more people in my walk 2k from my apartment.

A bit of common sense is still allowed folks.

I drove out to Sligo from Dublin for the day last weekend. Took a stroll on Dunmoran strand, and sat and read a book. Didn’t come within 10 metres, let alone two, of another human all day. I genuinely don’t understand what exactly people are telling me I should feel guilty about
    Because it was an unnecessary journey. Presumably you had to fill the car with petrol, stop off to go to the loo, risk the car breaking down etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Went to a local beach
    Was only out of the car for less than 5 mins
    The only people I got within 2 meters of were people who passed me on the footpath, and that only took a split second.

Have only been out of the house twice since for quick trips to the shop.

So no I don't regret it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I think they're trying to stop people who could be carrying the virus and not know, to another town, city, county that may not be affected and introduce it there.

They said last night that half the cases caught the virus from within the community. So it's trying to protect the spread to other communities, people, areas.

Chances are you were grand, but they're trying not to hang all their work on chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

No, I'm just curious to know if the message is sinking in or are the same people going to continue to put others at risk for as long as they can get away with it.

Leo Varadker and Tony Holahan were very clear last night about the importance of getting the virus back out of the community and contained within households. As someone living with a family member who has cancer it is vital to me that people listen to this message.

It especially vital that your family listens the message and stays at home. Different countries approached it differently and maybe the are so strict is now because public transport and restaurants were open in Ireland and especially in Dublin too long.

I'm not saying people should go into crowded area but the person that can do most for us is ourselves and maybe that's who we should worry about the most and leave those breaking the rules to authorities.

Went to a local beach
    Was only out of the car for less than 5 mins
    The only people I got within 2 meters of were people who passed me on the footpath, and that only took a split second.

Have only been out of the house twice since for quick trips to the shop.

So no I don't regret it.

I don't see anything wrong with that. It was just a local walk. It's the people who drove to places like Bray and walked on crowded beaches and queued up for ice cream whose behaviour has been widely criticised.

meeeeh wrote: »
    It especially vital that your family listens the message and stays at home. Different countries approached it differently and maybe the are so strict is now because public transport and restaurants were open in Ireland and especially in Dublin too long.

I'm not saying people should go into crowded area but the person that can do most for us is ourselves and maybe that's who we should worry about the most and leave those breaking the rules to authorities.

The person with cancer hasn't been outside the door. I have only gone out when absolutely necessary. But everyone has to play their part or this will not be removed from the community. That is the clear message from the H SE and people need to respect it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

I am just wondering if the restrictions extend to just going for a drive around your own area without getting out of the car? I would often go for a drive around the city where I would never be more than 10/15 from my house just to get out of the house for a few minutes.

Advertisement