Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any of you who went to beaches and popular beauty spots last weekend now regret it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

babynice wrote: »
    I am just wondering if the restrictions extend to just going for a drive around your own area without getting out of the car? I would often go for a drive around the city where I would never be more than 10/15 from my house just to get out of the house for a few minutes.

I think the guards have powers now to stop you and question where you're going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I guess I'm one of those morons. I went to the beach and I came into close contact with nobody. I live in an apartment in the city centre. The part of Dublin I live in is not exactly flush with parks and green spaces. So I will come into close contact with many more people in my walk 2k from my apartment.

A bit of common sense is still allowed folks.

You’ll have to stay within those 2 km this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Considering how many traffic offences don't get paid in this country I wouldn't overly worry about fines. People need to be persuaded to follow those rules because it is right for them and their loved ones. Blaming and shaming them won't achieve much except refusal and doing it in secret.

Btw since we all have to stay within 2km its about time to ban public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Brief exercise only so no go for him.

80km would be brief for a lot of cyclists

It’s clear that lots of people went out and don’t understand why they should feel bad about it.
    Let’s hope none of them developed symptoms as they may have spread it which could lead to people dying. That’s how serious this is.

Luckily the government are trying to prevent that from happening again.

Yet some posters are still asking things like “How would they know if...” so you kind of know people will still try to break the very simple rules put in place to save lives.

Depressing that people put their own comfort over others lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    And it’s because of those morons that we have almost full lockdown now.

I don't defend the behaviour of people who didn't understand or care about the restrictions that were previously imposed .... but I don't think they caused the current additional restrictions. They just moved them a few days closer.

It was coming anyway, I find it impossible to believe that little ole us was going to be a world leader in how to beat this virus. Bigger and better equipped than us have failed and fallen so we were never going to avoid additional restrictions, we were just delaying the inevitable.

This was always coming, and we will be tested further yet.

Good luck to all on the front line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Downlinz

babynice wrote: »
    I am just wondering if the restrictions extend to just going for a drive around your own area without getting out of the car? I would often go for a drive around the city where I would never be more than 10/15 from my house just to get out of the house for a few minutes.

I do the same but will stop for the 2 weeks, guards have better things to be doing than listening to me explain why I'm driving around for non-essential reasons.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I don't defend the behaviour of people who didn't understand or care about the restrictions that were previously imposed .... but I don't think they caused the current additional restrictions. They just moved them a few days closer.

It was coming anyway, I find it impossible to believe that little ole us was going to be a world leader in how to beat this virus. Bigger and better equipped than us have failed and fallen so we were never going to avoid additional restrictions, we were just delaying the inevitable.

I suspect people shouldn't be allowed to travel to Uk, restaurants should be completely closed earlier and so should be public transport. Most of infections are in Dublin so I think urban life should be limited a lot more than it was. I think you are right about stricter measures coming in soon anyway especially because low ICU capacity.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Considering how many traffic offences don't get paid in this country I wouldn't overly worry about fines. People need to be persuaded to follow those rules because it is right for them and their loved ones. Blaming and shaming them won't achieve much except refusal and doing it in secret.

Btw since we all have to stay within 2km its about time to ban public transport.

Some people can’t be persuaded.
    You could broadcast an ad of a 75 year old with Covid in ICU struggling to breathe and dying with no family around and some people would shrug their shoulders as they grabbed the house keys and headed out for a run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

I think the biggest problem with these lads thinking it's ok to do this and that and fudge the rules is that another person will see them breaking the rules and say ah sure look if he's doing it I'll do it and it'll have a daisy chain effect. I can't see them enforcing it too much but I know I'll be staying home, it's only 2 weeks and damn it it's not a massive sacrifice considering what's at stake. We all need to do our bit. 2 weeks now could really have a big effect on how long this lasts and if the 2 weeks now means we can get back to a normal life sooner then that's just what we have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Should get a massive fine and spend a night in a cell. There is prison sentences for this sort of idiots going out like this in Italy etc.

Your hatred of cyclists is no secret.

Funny how nobody is giving the guy that drove his family to the beach and park any shít. But a cyclist, going on a spin on his own? Worse than Hitler...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Depends on the beach. Could be the only person there on some of them and there's nothing wrong with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

bman1 wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem with these lads thinking it's ok to do this and that and fudge the rules is that another person will see them breaking the rules and say ah sure look if he's doing it I'll do it and it'll have a daisy chain effect. I can't see them enforcing it too much but I know I'll be staying home, it's only 2 weeks and damn it it's not a massive sacrifice considering what's at stake. We all need to do our bit. 2 weeks now could really have a big effect on how long this lasts and if the 2 weeks now means we can get back to a normal life sooner then that's just what we have to do.

It won't only be two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

I don’t think this thread is helpful. The lockdown isn’t a direct consequence of any one persons actions last weekend but rather the balancing act of retaining some normality versus escalating pressure on ICU and projected trends.

The trend today was set 2+ weeks ago. A lockdown was probably inevitable and planned as it was for Friday.

Lashing out and looking for someone to blame is a normal reaction but isn’t constructive.

Just ask yourself: what would Donald Trump do. Then do the opposite.

Some people can’t be persuaded.
    You could broadcast an ad of a 75 year old with Covid in ICU struggling to breathe and dying with no family around and some people would shrug their shoulders as they grabbed the house keys and headed out for a run.

I went for a run this morning. What's wrong with that? It is still allowed.

I go for a run in the same area inside 2km of my house a few times per week. I met at least two women in their seventies who I never met before (despite being there once every day and sometimes more). You can be outraged about my actions but if you think that every 75 year old is at home knitting waiting for this to be over you are very much mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I plan on going for a 80km cycle over the weekend as it's the first decent stretch of weather in months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I really don't know what people expect with these threads. For someone to come here publicly state they are sorry and you can throw some stones at them.
    Agreed, ridiculous thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Should get a massive fine and spend a night in a cell. There is prison sentences for this sort of idiots going out like this in Italy etc.

They are shoving people into dog cages in the Philippines!

I went for a run this morning. What's wrong with that? It is still allowed.

I go for a run in the same area inside 2km of my house a few times per week. I met at least two women in their seventies who I never met before (despite being there once every day and sometimes more). You can be outraged about my actions but if you think that every 75 year old is at home knitting waiting for this to be over you are very much mistaken.

It’s still allowed, but it would just be better to not.
    And those 70+ people shouldn’t be out.

If everyone adopts the attitude that it’s “allowed” to be out within 2km of our houses, then the actions put in place won’t work. We’ll need further actions.

Soon they’ll have to just tell us out straight to stay the f*ck at home!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Your hatred of cyclists is no secret.

Funny how nobody is giving the guy that drove his family to the beach and park any shít. But a cyclist, going on a spin on his own? Worse than Hitler...

Hes responding to a guy insistent on doing 80k. It could be a hike too... The reason the government set the 2k radius, is to keep any risks localised and reduce the chances of them spreading across regions even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Technically speaking... if there was less than 500 people and you were 2 metres dustance from other family units... then they didnt break any of the rules that we in place at the time...they probably felt they were respecting the rules

whiskeyman wrote: »
    This is why further measures brought in.

The general public are confused with terms of 'social isolating' and even 'social distancing'.

During uncertain times, it's stupid to introduce new terms.

Everyone knows what 'Stay at Home' means.

Except for big businesses that think they are essential but not really when looked at properly

It’s still allowed, but it would just be better to not.
    And those 70+ people shouldn’t be out.

If everyone adopts the attitude that it’s “allowed” to be out within 2km of our houses, then the actions put in place won’t work. We’ll need further actions.

Soon they’ll have to just tell us out straight to stay the f*ck at home!

Well the rules are not according to you but to the experts and government. So what you feel it would be better not to do is irrelevant.

Wesser wrote: »
    Technically speaking... if there was less than 500 people and you were 2 metres dustance from other family units... then they didnt break any of the rules that we in place at the time...they probably felt they were respecting the rules

Why do we need someone to spell it out for us though?

2 weeks ago. “We’re still allowed go the pub”
    1 week ago. “We’re still allowed go the beach”
    Today “We’re still allowed go for a run”

What will it take for the message to actually sink in? The best thing you can do is stay home.

If everybody is out today within 2km of their houses, the rules won’t work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Maybe people are just not into public flogging. I didn't go anywhere btw but in the woods next to my house where I walk the dog/run every day there are a lot more families with kids just going for a walk and making sure kids don't turn into fat little lumps. It's very easy for me living on a two acre site with a nice walk within 2km to tut at other people who live in a flat and feel trapped.

I really don't know what people expect with these threads. For someone to come here publicly state they are sorry and you can throw some stones at them.

The purpose of these threads is so that all the virtue signallers can congregate in the one place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why do we need someone to spell it out for us though?

2 weeks ago. “We’re still allowed go the pub”
    1 week ago. “We’re still allowed go the beach”
    Today “We’re still allowed go for a run”

What will it take for the message to actually sink in? The best thing you can do is stay home.

If everybody is out today within 2km of their houses, the rules won’t work.

This x 100

Well the rules are not according to you but to the experts and government. So what you feel it would be better not to do is irrelevant.

Exactly what people in the pubs said 2 weeks back. Exactly what people at Howth said last week.

People are dying. But sure as long as you’re comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I plan on going for a 80km cycle over the weekend as it's the first decent stretch of weather in months.

Obvious is obvious

• Advertisement

Ger Roe wrote: »

I reckon that the government heard how good the weather was going to be and thought that the same idiots as last week will hit the parks n beaches again. 3 hours notice of a lockdown is not giving much time to close places up and make businesses safe

Advertisement