Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do any of you who went to beaches and popular beauty spots last weekend now regret it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Everyone knows what 'Stay at Home' means.

They clearly f***ing don't. That's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

meeeeh wrote: »
    So you think now it's the right time to waste time with hypothetical situations and getting them to visit people for a chat instead of dealing with people who actually break the rules. Do you like to waste their time in general or just when their resources are stretched the most?

You do get rhetorical? ( or rhetoric I should say. I know you do.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

auspicious wrote: »
    You do get rhetorical?

I get stupid.

I get stupid.

Go easy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see a new breed emerging in all this. The “stay at home “ vigilantes. Similar to the class tattle tale who used tell teacher everything that went on. Just as annoying and moralising too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

So have kept the kids in for the last 2 weeks other than walking outside my front door to play kerbs with the 2 of them when no one else was out for about 15 mins. What kept me sane was going for a 60 min spin in the car without anyone getting out or opening the windows or stopping anywhere but now we can’t do that. I fully understand the restrictions and agree with them but I just don’t understand why we can’t go for a drive without stopping for 40 mins even. Yeah I know there is a risk of a breakdown but that probably about .00001% of a Chance. Look I will adhere to the restrictions as I hope most will but **** I will miss a drive for sanity reasons with 2 kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

road_high wrote: »
    I see a new breed emerging in all this. The “stay at home “ vigilantes. Similar to the class tattle tale who used tell teacher everything that went on. Just as annoying and moralising too

I think you need to grow up and start taking this seriously.

They won't. Plenty of evidence of that in a good few threads on boards. There's a lot of idiots out there. Im just trying to keep away from them.

I have to say some of the posts on here are disheartening. Including the la lá don't want to hear, ridiculous thread ones. We are literally talking life and death here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm surprised the Irish "informer" trope hasn't reared its head until now.
    This is serious, this kills people. Grow the fcuk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A mandatory issue Public services card would come in handy now. You can halve the population moving around by just decreeing that those with a PPS number ending in an even number stay in their 2KM-R one day while those ending in an odd number stay in their 2KM-R next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,082 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A mandatory issue Public services card would come in handy now. You can halve the population moving around by just decreeing that those with a PPS number ending in an even number stay in their 2KM-R one day while those ending in an odd number stay in their 2KM-R next.

And people would respect this?

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Why not? Bring your card with you and if you don't have it you get a stiff fine. I think they halve the traffic in some cities when there's high smog levels by using a similar odd/even thingy for car number plates.

Why not? Bring your card with you and if you don't have it you get a stiff fine. I think they halve the traffic in some cities when there's high smog levels by using a similar odd/even thingy for car number plates.

Dream on, it's not gonna happen, we don't live in that kind of state, thank God

Dream on, it's not gonna happen, we don't live in that kind of state, thank God

They shut the country down yesterday if you didn't notice. I was suggesting the odd/even thing as a graded way of returning to a semblance of normality, with a view to completely repealing any of these restrictions in time.

You're getting upset over nothing.

They shut the country down yesterday if you didn't notice. I was suggesting the odd/even thing as a graded way of returning to a semblance of normality, with a view to completely repealing any of these restrictions in time.

You're getting upset over nothing.

Lots of people don't have these cards so your scheme is worthless anyhow.

The country currently isn't shut down, I ll be going for a walk soon myself, I suppose I better bring some sort of Id, just encase

Lots of people don't have these cards so your scheme is worthless anyhow.

That's why I wrote 'would come in handy'. It would be handy if everyone had one but we don't. I was thinking out loud.

Everybody calm down, it was a suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I have to say some of the posts on here are disheartening. Including the la lá don't want to hear, ridiculous thread ones. We are literally talking life and death here.

Sky news were interviewing 2 men in their 20’s last week about why the were going out clubbing ignoring the danger and they more or less said it doesn’t affect them and if they get it they’ll survive it. What a pair of selfish b@stards. They probably know by now that it has killed a few young people with no underlying conditions.

That's why I wrote 'would come in handy'. It would be handy if everyone had one but we don't. I was thinking out loud.

Ah that's fair enough, maybe it's a good idea we don't have such a thing, do we really wanna be controlled so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I hope you get two punctures, a broken chain and piles from the saddle.
    No.

I hope he thinks and contemplates very much and very hard ....and if he still decides to go makes a solemn promise to keep 20 ft away from any living soul.

And if he can't keep 20 ft from any living soul....then he must realize such trips are not possible.

And you know he could make a loop of a circle with 2k circumference on map my run! Then just go round and round. :)

I don't hope anyone has accidents etc. Its not pleasant for the person ..and well ..its not helping the situation...its making it all worse.

I think we need a different approach if we want to talk to people about these things.

Suggest alternatives...ask them to consider everything..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

It's not difficult to understand the disease is passed on from close range with another person. If there are people close to you physically that have it you are likely to get it. It's a bit sad the government have to spell out ever thing can people not think for themselves anymore.

do we really wanna be controlled so much

In a situation such as we're in? Yes.

When we're out of this mess, if the Government refused to repeal all the restrictions on our freedoms, I'd advocate and participate in mass civil disobedience until they did.

When we're out of this mess, if the Government refused to repeal all the restrictions on our freedoms, I'd advocate and participate in mass civil disobedience until they did.

When did this last occur in Ireland, and would we really do it again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

When did this last occur in Ireland, and would we really do it again?

Irish water

Akrasia wrote:
    Irish water

That's a fair point, but would people truly stand up for something like this, or are we better off not doing it at all? How would you set up such a system, in the current situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

It's a bit sad the government have to spell out ever thing can people not think for themselves anymore.

Is that not what they are doing? Thinking for themselves?

Im following the guidelines and people should, but to be fair there is no gurantee this will work anyway. There are lockdowns all over the world and the numbers of cases and deaths are rising even in totally locked down places. I spoke with a doctor and a nurse on friday and neither are convinced this is going to work..at all. I was very surpsied by that tbh. There was a guard in the same conversation, who believes we are in for at least 3 months of this.

Thats not to say we shouldnt have the current measures, but there really is no right or wrong approach just yet. Its not possible to say our approach is correct or trumps is or boris johnson is, or sweden who seem to be going their own way a bit. We are all putting a lot of trust in an approach that is as yet unproven.

I hope it works because if it doesnt people are not going to stay as placid as they are now for months and months of lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

tototoe wrote: »

Im following the guidelines and people should, but to be fair there is no gurantee this will work anyway. There are lockdowns all over the world and the numbers of cases and deaths are rising even in totally locked down places. I spoke with a doctor and a nurse on friday and neither are convinced this is going to work..at all. I was very surpsied by that tbh. There was a guard in the same conversation, who believes we are in for at least 3 months of this.

Thats not to say we shouldnt have the current measures, but there really is no right or wrong approach just yet. Its not possible to say our approach is correct or trumps is or boris johnson is, or sweden who seem to be going their own way a bit. We are all putting a lot of trust in an approach that is as yet unproven.

I hope it works because if it doesnt people are not going to stay as placid as they are now for months and months of lockdown.

After a while governments will have to abandon this plan and let it run its course.

Old and vulnerable will need to stay at home, if they mix with the community and die its their own fault.

Its cruel but people wont accept this for too long once debt etc. starts to build up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

My father in law died 6 months ago and this is incredibly hard on MIL. It's not just about financial issues, people are dealing with a lot of different things and often it's not just selfishness that makes people break rules. That's why I'm less quick to judge people who go for a drive, 75 year olds going for a walk, people trapped in domestic violence situations being outside and so on. The easiest thing is to be judgemental on social media and telling others what they should do. That is the easy bit.

No the easy thing is to follow the guidelines.

A virus won't decide not to infect someone becaus they are "dealing with a lot of different things" and want to follow their own rules.

In a situation such as we're in? Yes.

Lol.
    Just do what you're told for now.
    You'd swear you were living in communist China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Coming home from work yesterday there were groups of young people together having a great oul chat and people pushing buggies with no distance between them.

Some gobsh1tes think they are special and the rules don't apply to them, they never think the person they are giving no space to might look healthy but could have an underlying condition and they could pass the virus on to them.

easypazz wrote: »
    After a while governments will have to abandon this plan and let it run its course.

Old and vulnerable will need to stay at home, if they mix with the community and die its their own fault.

Its cruel but people wont accept this for too long once debt etc. starts to build up.

You do know that it can affect anyone with no underlying problems whatever their age? Like the man in the uk in his 30’s ended up struggling to breathe after one of his lungs collapsed, he said it was like trying to breathe through a straw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,537 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think you need to grow up and start taking this seriously.

And who says we aren’t? I’ve not left the house since Friday. I don’t do need to be coerced into it though by nobodies with no medical expertise. I can follow and obey the expert advice without the weight of threats and frowns from said vigilantes who seem to think they know as much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 trisha e

We don't have enough gardai to police something like this.only 700 more - that's not enough.Maybe they should look at putting gardai who are currently doing office duties out on the best.

And who says we aren’t? I’ve not left the house since Friday. I don’t do need to be coerced into it though by nobodies with no medical expertise. I can follow and obey the expert advice without the weight of threats and frowns from said vigilantes who seem to think they know as much

It’s only Sunday morning lad. So you stayed in for a day?

It’s only Sunday morning lad. So you stayed in for a day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Was referring to the knobs going out like its holiday season

was up a hill at the weekend

loads of people up there

everyone decent distance apart

was also at the park

packed

vast majority decent distance apart

the howlers on social media just found something else to howl at. they dont care one iota for the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,529 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

loads of people up there

was also at the park

packed

the howlers on social media just found something else to howl at. they dont care one iota for the details.

That's OK then. Glad you educated us.

Glazers Out!

What about the people who can't. Are they to be allowed to endanger other people's lives because nobody should be a tell tale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I plan on going for a 80km cycle over the weekend as it's the first decent stretch of weather in months.

For you, Stay The F*ck at Home!

• Advertisement

We'll that Dr and nurse are being very irresponsible to talk like that, as are you posting unhelpful hearsay that could undermine confidence in, and adherence to, the restrictions on a public website.

loads of people up there

was also at the park

packed

What hill was it?

We'll that Dr and nurse are being very irresponsible to talk like that, as are you posting unhelpful hearsay that could undermine confidence in, and adherence to, the restrictions on a public website.

Ah here, that conversation is being had all over the world right now. They in no way said not to follow instructions or that we shouldn't be taking this approach but there are no guarantees this is going to work. That's reality , no country has beaten this yet. They like everyone can have and express an opinion. As sad, I am following the guidelines and will continue to do so as should others, but if you think that conversation is not happening elsewhere then you are deluded.

Ah here, that conversation is being had all over the world right now. They in no way said not to follow instructions or that we shouldn't be taking this approach but there are no guarantees this is going to work. That's reality , no country has beaten this yet. They like everyone can have and express an opinion. As sad, I am following the guidelines and will continue to do so as should others, but if you think that conversation is not happening elsewhere then you are deluded.

You said yourself that you were surprised to hear it. And no I haven't heard of drs andnurses all over the world publicly expressing doubts about the ability of these measures to flatten the curve if adhered to.

You said yourself that you were surprised to hear it. And no I haven't heard of drs andnurses all over the world publicly expressing doubts about the ability of these measures to flatten the curve if adhered to.

I didn't say anywhere that nurses and doctors all over the world are publically expressing doubts so don't suggest I did. Thanks.
    I said that conversation is happening elsewhere, and it is.

No but you repeated some doubts you apparently heard from a Dr and Nurse,, on a public forum, and then defended it by saying those conversations were going on all over the world and everyone knows about them.

Certainly implied that Drs and Nurses all over the world were expressing doubts, as my criticism of your post was about medical staff talking carelessly and you publicly repeating it, not lay people wondering what effect the measures would have.

Anyhow we're pulling the thread off topic I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Oh come on. You apoarently started the thread for discussion but now we shouldn't allow it because you don't like what you hear. Unless you have some expertise I in infection control or even crowd control it's a bit rich to lecture people who actually work in the area of health care.

As far as I know WHO and every one hopes this is the right strategy (Sweden disagrees) but there is no exact answer, there is also a chance we will be hit with another wave later this year and suffer more human loss. Considering flu this winter completely overwhelmed our health system there is also a chance we will be in trouble despite doing everything right.

Yes it's important people obey the advice but at this moment nothing is certain yet. Not to mention the huge lack of safety equipment everywhere.

"Unlike your garden variety pneumonia... or unlike the common flu..."

https://mobile.twitter.com/leeseongwee/status/1243113055090692096

No but you repeated some doubts you apparently heard from a Dr and Nurse,, on a public forum, and then defended it by saying those conversations were going on all over the world and everyone knows about them.

Certainly implied that Drs and Nurses all over the world were expressing doubts, as my criticism of your post was about medical staff talking carelessly and you publicly repeating it, not lay people wondering what effect the measures would have.

Anyhow we're pulling the thread off topic I think.

you are reading things the way you want to read them I think but work away. I'm done.

you are reading things the way you want to read them I think but work away. I'm done.

No I'm not. I'm saying it is irresponsible to come onto a public forum saying a Dr and a nurse are not convinced the current measures will be effective. That's just not helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement