Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do any of you who went to beaches and popular beauty spots last weekend now regret it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with your concerns but I think you're misrepresenting the Cabinet position last weekend. The Government position is not a tweeted position. Happily, we are not in Donald land.

Personally, I brought my elderly mother and stocked up heavily on 1st March. I also bought many K of silver coins. I do not require government assistance in my forward planning. Laughed at in work for prepping. They're not laughing now. There was less risk on 01 March than 01 April. So buy what is needed and cut down interaction. I've always bulk bought. Once a month or 6 weeks on items like cat food, coffee, pastas etc etc. Why would you go every week?? And every day??? This must be going very hard on the consumerist (majority) types. Life will change for the better hopefully.

Because of people who stocked up and bulk bought I had to visit three shops instead of one to buy a bit of flour. Everyone from the government to media was telling you not to crazily bulk buy and now you congratulate yourself and those of us who followed the advice have issues buying some basics and need to visit more shops to do our weekly shop.

Pretty sure the government has to prioritise the global pandemic over some people that may or may not commit suicide because they’re been asked to stay in for a bit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

storker wrote: »
    Last night in Tesco most of the flour and eggs had been panic-bought. From this we drew two conclusions:

1. Lots of people who never baked before have decided to take it up.

2. A year from now most of that flour will be sitting in cupboards, unused.

Actually I have struggled to get flour and buttemilk for a week now.Can't figure it out, the shops are well stocked except for those 2 items!!

Also I will add that I suspect it is mainly being bought to keep kids entertained.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

To be quite honest to the OP, no I do not.But then our local beach is within 2 km of our house, and is sparsely used.We have literally been in a corner building sandcastles with nobody nearby most mornings.Deliberatlely done early, to avoid possible increases in users later on.A few joggers down by the sea line and a couple of dog walkers in the distance is all we have seen everyday for 2 weeks.I have been out shopping twice in 15 days, late evening, in an almost empty store, gloves on, list in hand, and bought enough to keep going for the next week.

I think you should amend that OP to refer specifically to people who saw parks and beaches were crowded and ploughed on anyway.We are lucky to live where we do....I would hate to be enduring this in other certain parts of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I think the biggest culprits were urbanites. I live in Mayo and last weekend it was very noticeable the amount of Dubs who headed West to the beaches and forests in Mayo and Galway paying no need whatsoever to the recommendations. In fairness, I understand the frustration of those living in housing estates cooped up with kids and we are incredibly lucky where we live (7km from nearest neighbour). The kids always moaned about their remoteness, but they relish it now. Achill, Clifden and Westport were packed with Dubs last weekend.

• Advertisement

For general information btw, Fingal are closing all beach and park carparks now, to stop people going further than they should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

meeeeh wrote: »
    The choice is to worry about your own actions first. And when you are absolutely surely are doing everything perfectly, by the rules, by the spirit of the rules then maybe start worrying about others.

I think most responsible people are worry about their own actions. But they are also worrying about the actions of others because this is an issue that can only be resolved by everyone pulling together.

Individualism, and the attitude that it's no one else's business but my own what I do just isn't appropriate any more.

I think most responsible people are worry about their own actions. But they are also worrying about the actions of others because this is an issue that can only be resolved by everyone pulling together.

Individualism, and the attitude that it's no one else's business but my own what I do just isn't appropriate any more.

And what does thread like this achieve?

And what does thread like this achieve?

Why does it have to 'achieve' anything? Do you go onto all threads asking what they are going to achieve?
    This is a discussion forum and I would like to ask a question and prompt a discussion around a particular issue.
    If you don't like the topic of the thread feel perfectly free not to join in. If you want to join in and debate your point of view then do so.
    That's how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Regular beach & park users aren't to blame.

It's the people that usually spend the weekend in pubs, bookies, molls, shopping centres, bowling alleys and cinemas that crowded the beaches and parks because their usual haunts were shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

if this goes beyond 2 weeks they could institute sat/sun odd/even license plate parking at parks etc, spreading people out is a good thing, (although I don't see that many people /kids playing on my local green)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Btw since we all have to stay within 2km its about time to ban public transport.

Plenty of workers still need to get to work.
    shesty wrote: »
    For general information btw, Fingal are closing all beach and park carparks now, to stop people going further than they should.

This always gets me anyway - people need to drive to go for a walk. Just open the front door, hit the nearest footpath and there's a walk right in front of you FFS. Yes, a walk on the beach/in the forest is lovely but ultimately a walk is a walk.

Plenty of workers still need to get to work.

This always gets me anyway - people need to drive to go for a walk. Just open the front door, hit the nearest footpath and there's a walk right in front of you FFS. Yes, a walk on the beach/in the forest is lovely but ultimately a walk is a walk.

It depends where you live. I don't have to drive but it is apparently proven that green (trees, grass) and blue (water) surroundings are hugely beneficial for us.

There is a reason why people go to certain spots. I come from alpine country and at the weekend car parks at the foot of the mountains are full, Corona or no Corona.

That's just by the way observation, of course people shouldn't drive somewhere now but there is a reason why we pick certain locations.

I'm pretty good at getting things thank you very much. I'm also pretty good at not touching anything outside the house unless I absolutely have to (shop).

Fair play, would you care to share the secret of flight and no shedding?

Also, opening our front door puts us into our housing estate, with more people around.

Versus a 2 min drive to a nearby beach (just because we have a small toddler so no beach access with a buggy...), parking in a side lane and spending time in a deserted area.

No winning.

It depends where you live. I don't have to drive but it is apparently proven that green (trees, grass) and blue (water) surroundings are hugely beneficial for us.

There is a reason why people go to certain spots. I come from alpine country and at the weekend car parks at the foot of the mountains are full, Corona or no Corona.

That's just by the way observation, of course people shouldn't drive somewhere now but there is a reason why we pick certain locations.

I 100% agree with you. Nothing better than water / trees / beach but ultimately a walk is a walk. I usually walk at night after work (finish at 8pm most days) so those things are not an option at that time. Makes no difference to me though, I still feel better for the walk regardless of where it is.
    shesty wrote: »
    Also, opening our front door puts us into our housing estate, with more people around.

Versus a 2 min drive to a nearby beach (just because we have a small toddler so no beach access with a buggy...), parking in a side lane and spending time in a deserted area.

No winning.

I'm in a housing estate and it's practically deserted for the last two weeks. A greenway / reclaimed railway line not half a mile from me is packed though, even today. I'd love to go for a walk there right now but fleck that, I'll go after 7 tonight and take the dog out around the roads and shopping centre car parks.
    The car park at Blackrock Castle (Cork) is packed with people using the walkway. Using the current guidelines only people living within the 2km radius should be there. If they are all from within that radius then why should they need to drive down there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People lack imagination, ah shur lookit we'll go to our usual walking spot. Too fücking thick to find an alternative when its found to be packed. Now we are all deprived of spaces thanks to these eejits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

14 Dead today the restrictions came way too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Caquas

Here’s a tool for Apple Maps you can use to show a 2 km. radius from your home

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/free-map-tools/id1075853833

Oddly, Google Maps don’t seem to have anything equivalent.

Caquas wrote: »
    Here’s a tool for Apple Maps you can use to show a 2 km. radius from your home

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/free-map-tools/id1075853833

Oddly, Google Maps don’t seem to have anything equivalent.

https://2kmfromhome.com/?fbclid=IwAR0toOHJpe6t4sqS8DlpWQYVsMUMzREe3TcaCHpY3LVyFzd0MB0Kd5DkVe4

• Advertisement

rtron wrote: »

Hopefully everyone will now take note and stop treating the restrictions like rules to be got around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Hopefully everyone will now take note and stop treating the restrictions like rules to be got around.

They won't. Plenty of evidence of that in a good few threads on boards. There's a lot of idiots out there. Im just trying to keep away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Would it be too much to suggest the mods should forward the details of those openly determined to flout the new guidelines to Gardai so they can have a chat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

rtron wrote: »

No they didn’t, we just have a cohort of people in this country who know it all and do whatever they want. They’ll pay a big price for their pigheadness now though, no sympathy from me

Will people start be behave only when deaths reach 30 per day? or 40? 80? 200?
    What does it take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

auspicious wrote: »
    Will people start be behave only when deaths reach 30 per day? or 40? 80? 200?
    What does it take?

That’s not how it works with these people. The people will all die, not because THEY refused to follow the instructions, but because Varadkar and Harris and Dr Holohan did or didn’t do this that or the other (do more testing, buy more ventilators, lockdown the nursing homes in time etc) It’s always the governments fault.

treating the restrictions like rules to be got around.

It's the Irish way after all.

Would it be too much to suggest the mods should forward the details of those openly determined to flout the new guidelines to Gardai so they can have a chat?

Best of luck with that.

Best of luck with that.

Let's just close the thread then. All it is is bickering and irritating people. There's enough **** going on.

• Advertisement

So you think now it's the right time to waste time with hypothetical situations and getting them to visit people for a chat instead of dealing with people who actually break the rules. Do you like to waste their time in general or just when their resources are stretched the most?

Advertisement