Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do any of you who went to beaches and popular beauty spots last weekend now regret it

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thats an impresive amount of words to provide no answer.

I'm never going to state here what we do. Not to you or anyone else. Do you think I'm dumb enough to risk my anonymity? But if you want to post your address here I'll send you an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

If they are really essential then their employer / colleagues / family members that live with them should find means of getting them to work, and also minimise their chances of getting sick. It's not like there are masses of traffic operating.

Public transport is a ridiculously risky exception to the rules we rightly have in place now. Imagine a nurse, junior doctor or care home worker on a packed bus or luas and then going in to care for vulnerable people? Madness.

Also, I think people should be limited to supermarkets once per week. Smaller shops are less risky as less people visiting.

The buses going around Cork at the moment are all virtually empty, maybe 1-2 people on each one.

That's my point.The buses and Luas are NOT packed at the moment. They are virtually empty. I'm in closer contact with another person if I cadge a lift off someone than if I get a bus and am careful while taking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm never going to state here what we do. Not to you or anyone else. Do you think I'm dumb enough to risk my anonymity? But if you want to post your address here I'll send you an answer.

You started with "we didnt think we would close" I was just wondering what made you think you were that important to avoid closure. Anything important is open so you appear to have just been completely wrong in thinking how important you are. No unimportant workplace should be surprised they closed. Many already closed for safety reasons before it was made mandatory.

easypazz wrote: »
    In fairness that probably involves taxi's which is just as risky.

Every public transport user should be obliged to mask up.

Ditto anybody using a shop, petrol station, doctors surgery etc.

I didn't say anything about taxis. That defeats the whole purpose. Ride sharing with people who work together or family members is what I meant.

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    That's my point.The buses and Luas are NOT packed at the moment. They are virtually empty. I'm in closer contact with another person if I cadge a lift off someone than if I get a bus and am careful while taking it.

Then why are they running at all? No one is "cadging" a lift of anyone except colleagues they are in close contact with all day and presumably as professionals take adequate precautions or family members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Then why are they running at all? No one is "cadging" a lift of anyone except colleagues they are in close contact with all day and presumably as professionals take adequate precautions or family members.

My colleagues don't live anywhere near me. I have an essential job and can only get there by public transport, which is still running. People on this forum keep calling for it to be shut as an infection risk when it is less of a risk than the alternatives they espouse. Luckily they are not in charge of public policy.

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    My colleagues don't live anywhere near me. I have an essential job and can only get there by public transport, which is still running. People on this forum keep calling for it to be shut as an infection risk when it is less of a risk than the alternatives they espouse. Luckily they are not in charge of public policy.

It's more of a risk. The problem you have is that it is your only alternative. I see your dilemma.

In that case it would make sense to keep public transport running but heavily fine people who are taking non essential trips.

pjohnson wrote: »
    You started with "we didnt think we would close" I was just wondering what made you think you were that important to avoid closure. Anything important is open so you appear to have just been completely wrong in thinking how important you are. No unimportant workplace should be surprised they closed. Many already closed for safety reasons before it was made mandatory.

Actually plenty of businesses didn't close even in worst hit countries. Spain I think only closed them today. As what made me think we are important? Nothing. Each country has to balance health risks with the damage of economy stalling. I didn't realise the situation in Ireland was considered that critical. But if you think you will have any healthcare if state doesn't get taxes in long term you are deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭circadian

No it was not the point of this thread. I have explained a couple of times why I started it, but you continue to post in a very defensive manner.

No I don't. I've barely posted for days. I believe that people who decided to crowd into public spaces showed a complete lack of understanding of the situation.

However, plenty of people went out to quiet areas and avoided others but it seems like some people want to chastise everyone that set foot outside their door last weekend.

I'll say this though. I see a constant stream of the same people going to the shop for a pre packed sandwich every day. That's crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

circadian wrote: »
    No I don't. I've barely posted for days. I believe that people who decided to crowd into public spaces showed a complete lack of understanding of the situation.

However, plenty of people went out to quiet areas and avoided others but it seems like some people want to chastise everyone that set foot outside their door last weekend.

I'll say this though. I see a constant stream of the same people going to the shop for a pre packed sandwich every day. That's crazy.

But the thread wasn't started about those people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Can anyone explain why the general public wear masks as they are no benefit to them? According to health officials they should only be worn by people that actually have the flu so that they won’t spread it to the people looking after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why the general public wear masks as they are no benefit to them? According to health officials they should only be worn by people that actually have the flu so that they won’t spread it to the people looking after them.

Maybe some of those people have flu or cold symptoms and don't want to risk spreading germs ?
    Or maybe they're paranoid or stupid !!!

In places like China and Japan they wear them out of politeness just in case they have any infections they might pass on and have been doing that long before this particular virus appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

That's a crock of sh1t and basically fake news. We were advised not to buy masks to make sure there were enough left for medical professionals, that's all. Of course covering your nose and mouth works, both to avoid getting sick and to stop others catching your illness. Why do you think most of Asia do it? There are entire countries where you MUST wear a mask to be able to enter supermarkets etc. at the moment.

UK media has done a U turn on this issue (like it has with everything corona related) and are now advising people to make home made masks, which are far better than nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No and no and it's not the "flu".
    That's a crock of sh1t and basically fake news. We were advised not to buy masks to make sure there were enough left for medical professionals, that's all.
    This. This is the only reason.
    UK media has done a U turn on this issue (like it has with everything corona related) and are now advising people to make home made masks, which are far better than nothing.
    That needs to change here too as clearly the HSE advice on masks, which is clearly a nonsense if you apply any logic to it, is still being believed wholesale by the public.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Maybe some of those people have flu or cold symptoms and don't want to risk spreading germs ?
    Or maybe they're paranoid or stupid !!!

In places like China and Japan they wear them out of politeness just in case they have any infections they might pass on and have been doing that long before this particular virus appeared.
    But if they have any of those symptoms they shouldn't be out in the first place.

But if they have any of those symptoms they shouldn't be out in the first place.

You can spread Corona a few days before you develop symptoms. Large proportion of population are asymptomatic anyway. Masks should help preventing spread then.

Personally I agree that the only reason masks aren't recommended for everyone is because there is severe lack of equipment.

Advertisement