Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy Vodafone sim online?

• 28-03-2020 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to buy a vodafone sim online at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

DopeTech wrote: »

That is brilliant. I was googling for ages looking for this and their call and chat lines are restricted. Do you know if you can cancel these after a month or so are you tied for a whole year?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Can Vodafone SIM on prepay be used for low level tethering??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭KildareP

Can Vodafone SIM on prepay be used for low level tethering??

Generally, no.

Most modern smartphones, both iOS and Android, are hard coded so when used with vodafone thry route tethering traffic through a different APN which is not included in any data allowance and is charged at €0.19/MB (~€195/GB).

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

KildareP wrote: »
    Generally, no.

Most modern smartphones, both iOS and Android, are hard coded so when used with vodafone thry route tethering traffic through a different APN which is not included in any data allowance and is charged at €0.19/MB (~€195/GB).

Thanks for the answer.

• Advertisement

KildareP wrote: »
    Generally, no.

Interesting. Does this apply if you have a laptop with a slot for sim cards?

Galwayman,
    what is low level tethering vs normal/high level tethering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭KildareP

Interesting. Does this apply if you have a laptop with a slot for sim cards?

Galwayman,
    what is low level tethering vs normal/high level tethering?

Put it in the laptop and set the APN to live.vodafone.com

Bear in mind there will be a content filter active by default on any new prepay SIM, normally you need to go to a vodafone shop with ID to get it turned off which may be a problem at the moment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Tethering is possible as long as the APN can be user set & kept at live.Vodafone.com

This can be checked in settings, it's easier to avoid the chargeable APN in pre Android 8 phones, in routers and laptops with a SIM slot.

For low usage on devices that use minimal data (eg remote devices sending small data, live video would use too much) there are 2 other APNs for SIMs without phone data bundles (they use the Live APN).

Those other APNs are...

hs.Vodafone.ie
    isp.Vodafone.ie

...both of which are charged at 19c/MB. The possible difference between the 2 is that the ISP APN is charged per KB, not sure if the HS APN is charged per MB or per KB...(anyone else know?)...for low usage of 200KB per day then charge per KB is obviously better value.

https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058051849

BTW, tethering surcharges are questionable under EU regulations about net neutrality.

Ofcom (UK Comreg) have persuaded UK networks to drop restrictions on tethering...
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/08/ofcom-uk-drops-net-neutrality-probe-of-three-uk-and-vodafone.html

Thanks for the great feedback.

I think I better look into a 4G router. I notice there on the broadband forum there is basically two main models suggested here a TPLink model and a Huawei model. I live in an urban area with poor 4G coverage. I wonder are they both as good at picking up poor signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mastroianni

sorry guys, do you know if the sim will be deactivated if used abroad (but within EU)? I need to keep my current irish number and most likely I will leave Ireland soon. Also, in the case the sim will work flawlessy in Europe, does Vodafone only provide this kind of service?

• Advertisement

sorry guys, do you know if the sim will be deactivated if used abroad (but within EU)? I need to keep my current irish number and most likely I will leave Ireland soon. Also, in the case the sim will work flawlessy in Europe, does Vodafone only provide this kind of service?

contract ones work fine. I have a German pay as you go, not topped up for years and it still works

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mastroianni

contract ones work fine. I have a German pay as you go, not topped up for years and it still works
    great news thanks a lot!

Advertisement