Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion, what does the future of Travel look like?

Options
  • 28-03-2020 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

My thoughts;

- This isn’t going anywhere in even 6 months. Next March Covid will still be a thing. Many believe it’ll become part of the regular illnesses we have to avoid, like seasonal flu. All they can do now is suppress this

- There’s no vaccine for 18 months. So where does that leave the closed borders? As Covid becomes part of regular diseases, but without the crazy surge in numbers we’re seeing now, countries will have to decide what is more harmful to them - no tourists or the chance tourists will bring in a new wave of it

- I think the best we can hope for is borders opening back up but you’ll need to show your Covid vaccine cert to get into the country. Much like some countries ask for Zika and Yellow Fever certs

But this brings us back to no vaccine for 18 months and realistically I think it’ll be 2 years before it has any effect

So maybe some countries won’t open their borders for 24 months? Well, nothing would surprise me now. These are unprecedented times

Would love your feedback but PLEASE choose your website sources very carefully if linking them to support your thoughts. There’s so much misinformation ****e out there

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Interesting question, as I love to travel.

It is very odd watching travel programs at the moment.
    There was a rail travel show on Channel 5 last night, and it showed the host in Marseilles, Barcelona, Madrid and Porto. It was very strange to see people intermingling and being very close to each other in train stations and in the city attractions.
    Of course, that was before the virus, and I already miss those times.

It will definitely be different in the future; that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Flying cars

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

This

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

"beam me up Scotty"

teleporting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I don’t know. Definitely this might be the death knell of frivolous weekends away in Europe for people like us on our island. However, such freedom to travel and coexist with fellow Europeans is fundamental to the European project.

I hope the airline industry can bounce back but maybe this will be used as a time to get used to a world where air travel reverts back to being much rarer. With the positive environmental impact such a change in people’s flying habits would have this seems like it could happen.

We have to see what happens when we open back up again. Depending on how that experience goes, normal habits might return. It’s just sad that old people will have to live in constant fear of who they come into contact with until a vaccine is released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

biko wrote: »
    Flying cars

Doc Scott promised me we’d have them in 2015

He lied

Whenever this ends or we decide to ignore it, travel will return to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hopefully less travel. I’ve been feeling less entitled to travel the last few years after being horrified at the overcrowding at popular tourist areas. And I was very well aware that I was part of the problem (many tourists don’t - they complain about others). Low cost air travel, low cost Airbnbs and cruise ships have made it all too casual and accessible.

I don’t think travel should just go back to being a rich person’s pursuit either though so it’s hard to know what the solution is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

I wonder will people jump at ‘deals’ that will appear say fir July and August.

Ryanair will surely throw on €99 fares to Spain and Portugal. Actually —- will people even go to Spain??

I can see couples rather than family jumping on same as the Irish can’t resist a bargain,!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Time travellers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Low cost air travel, low cost Airbnbs and cruise ships have made it all too casual and accessible.

Hopefully this is the death of Airbnb. It baffles me how it even took off in the first place, I can't imagine anything more bizarre than going on holidays to somebody's house/ flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

I'd say we're looking at least July for families going away, but the future of travel is definitely going to be changed - folk will be alot more nervous going to new places in the risk of running into infection problematic areas.

A holiday is to be enjoyed not swimming in a sea of worry & anxiety.

I'ts going to take years to truly get over this, the worst is yet to come and so many will be effected by this.

Pray to whatever you believe in, because we're going to need lots of luck to avoid this.

Manc_Red wrote: »
    Pray to whatever you believe in, because we're going to need lots of luck to avoid this.

100% this

The amount of people not realising the long term effects of this thing is baffling. It only takes a basic understanding of Economics to see how fùcked we are for the next 3-5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Shopping trolley
    mmdb_the-road-720x310.jpg

I don’t know. Definitely this might be the death knell of frivolous weekends away in Europe for people like us on our island. However, such freedom to travel and coexist with fellow Europeans is fundamental to the European project.

I hope the airline industry can bounce back but maybe this will be used as a time to get used to a world where air travel reverts back to being much rarer. With the positive environmental impact such a change in people’s flying habits would have this seems like it could happen.

We have to see what happens when we open back up again. Depending on how that experience goes, normal habits might return. It’s just sad that old people will have to live in constant fear of who they come into contact with until a vaccine is released.

Re; the airline industry, it’ll be interesting to see where they price themselves

Either;

- very cheap, to get people on planes again

- or expensive, to make up for the massive loss in revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The airlines themselves will come up with something. They're already talking about flying planes but with no-one in middle seats. The airliners themselves can be made relatively safe, with good air circulation, HEPA filters and perhaps some extra time spent cleaning them.

Biggest problem I can see is lots of countries are going to introduce 14 day quarantine orders for visitors. It'll be interesting to see how long that lasts.

A lot of these problems go away if we can get rapid & accurate testing. Perhaps everyone has to take a test in the airport.

There's also the potential for an immunity "passport" i.e. if you've had it and are now immune, you get some sort of tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

hmmm wrote: »
    The airlines themselves will come up with something. They're already talking about flying planes but with no-one in middle seats. The airliners themselves can be made relatively safe, with good air circulation, HEPA filters and perhaps some extra time spent cleaning them.

Biggest problem I can see is lots of countries are going to introduce 14 day quarantine orders for visitors. It'll be interesting to see how long that lasts.

A lot of these problems go away if we can get rapid & accurate testing. Perhaps everyone has to take a test in the airport.

There's also the potential for an immunity "passport" i.e. if you've had it and are now immune, you get some sort of tag.

Some of your ideas are all ready in the pipeline in regards to rapid testing and or passport idea
    I reckon hopefully in June we will see air travel return to some degree,I think you will see a lot of people return to their countries example would be Italy, Spain there are families devastated and towns a lot of people will return to help rebuild reboot and console

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

giphy.webp

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

My guess is that it will be problematic until you’ve wide spread immunity through vaccination, which is looking possible.

I’m guessing 2020 and 2021 are basically going to be absolute disasters for global travel but then 2022 will see a recovery as people begin to gain confidence and technical solutions are in place.

For the example I could see a scenario where you might have to provide certificates of vaccination or antibody reaction to get some flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Think long haul travel will become really expensive and so a lot less people will travel to Asia and South America , will be only for the super rich.
    This is not a bad thing as many of these places were getting over-run, let societys and cultures re-build -

Think more people will holiday at home and going to Spain and France will be viewed as exotic.

• Advertisement

Hopefully this is the death of Airbnb. It baffles me how it even took off in the first place, I can't imagine anything more bizarre than going on holidays to somebody's house/ flat.

Yup..... Housing for locals should be more accessible & hotel rooms shall be more expensive, as they should be really. AirB&B has made life tough for many and it's fairly sh1t a concept as you say.

thebaz wrote: »
    Think long haul travel will become really expensive and so a lot less people will travel to Asia and South America , will be only for the super rich.
    This is not a bad thing as many of these places were getting over-run, let societys and cultures re-build -

Think more people will holiday at home and going to Spain and France will be viewed as exotic.

As a lover of South East Asia, that sounds feckin’ horrific

And Spain and France - in this day and age - should never be seen as “exotic”

Playing devil’s advocate here;

Let’s say airport Corona testing before your flight becomes a thing. What happens if you don’t pass the test?

The airline has to refund you or you take the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

RiseAbove4 wrote: »
    As a lover of South East Asia, that sounds feckin’ horrific

And Spain and France - in this day and age - should never be seen as “exotic”

it is going to change travel forever - and thats not a bad thing - without widespread travel, this virus would not have travelled so fast - Spain and France can actually be exotic, mass travel of Everest base camp/Inca trails/ Cambodia etc really is not good for the environment - Think post Covid we will reassess our relationship with envionment.

In fairness, it's unfortunate that the rich will be the ones to gain mostly from travelling but visiting foreign places has been sort of ruined by the ease of travel. It will add to experience when it becomes more of a luxury. We had a good run and we are unfortunate living on a small enough homogeneous island but such is the life.

My thoughts;

- This isn’t going anywhere in even 6 months. Next March Covid will still be a thing. Many believe it’ll become part of the regular illnesses we have to avoid, like seasonal flu. All they can do now is suppress this

- There’s no vaccine for 18 months. So where does that leave the closed borders? As Covid becomes part of regular diseases, but without the crazy surge in numbers we’re seeing now, countries will have to decide what is more harmful to them - no tourists or the chance tourists will bring in a new wave of it

- I think the best we can hope for is borders opening back up but you’ll need to show your Covid vaccine cert to get into the country. Much like some countries ask for Zika and Yellow Fever certs

But this brings us back to no vaccine for 18 months and realistically I think it’ll be 2 years before it has any effect

So maybe some countries won’t open their borders for 24 months? Well, nothing would surprise me now. These are unprecedented times

Would love your feedback but PLEASE choose your website sources very carefully if linking them to support your thoughts. There’s so much misinformation ****e out there

Thanks

I’m guessing that perhaps a certificate to prove you have antibodies may come into operation to facilitate travel. There would be a big demand for those blood tests!

Playing devil’s advocate here;

Let’s say airport Corona testing before your flight becomes a thing. What happens if you don’t pass the test?

Lot of sense though in what you're saying there & when I think about it I'm very sure that something like the above will become the norm in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

thebaz wrote: »
    it is going to change travel forever - and thats not a bad thing - without widespread travel, this virus would not have travelled so fast - Spain and France can actually be exotic, mass travel of Everest base camp/Inca trails/ Cambodia etc really is not good for the environment - Think post Covid we will reassess our relationship with envionment.

How did SARS and Ebola change travel? And Swine Flu? Not much from my recollection. I know this is a more global pandemic but even in the countries affected by those horrible diseases, travel wasn't really changed hugely.

It takes a September 11 type event to change air travel which happened because of glaring weaknesses in airport security.

We'll get this pandemic under control eventually and it'll go back close enough to normal. If some airlines try to charge prohibitively expensive fares, a Michael O'Leary type will come along and blow them out of the water because where there is money to be made, money will be made.

I think the impact depends on the length of the current state of affairs. I think this could make people appreciate modern luxuries more than ever and we'll be right back to square one, the environment be damned. There's a lot of people saving and ready to spend so I do predict a huge surge of consumption once it all settles down.

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »
    How did SARS and Ebola change travel? And Swine Flu? Not much from my recollection. I know this is a more global pandemic but even in the countries affected by those horrible diseases, travel wasn't really changed hugely.

This is a game changing virus imho for the world, we all thought this would blow-over and normality would quickly return - It won't and this must change the way we travel especially in airports where for a while at least we should be checked for temp etc.

This is spreading like wild-fire & now we really must start thinking it's going to take the lives of people in serious numbers.

For that reason things must change regarding travel.

Advertisement