Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion, what does the future of Travel look like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I thought it referred to the much debunked "Commercial flights are responsible for 108% of the pollution!1!" type posts

I think the Greta fans need to start their own thread and all virtually high five each other there. This thread is for Travel enthusiasts who can't wait to wander again

Well I have to say I was very surprised to learn that aviation industry only accounts for 2-3% of global carbon emissions. Wonder why it is the focus of so much of the blame in the climate discussions given that.

But regardless I still think there are many other issues associated with concentrated mass tourism in natural sites and historical cities. But if you are a reponsible tourist I'm sure you can easily avoid adding to the impact of those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

wakka12 wrote: »
    But regardless I still think there are many other issues associated with concentrated mass tourism in natural sites and historical cities. But if you are a reponsible tourist I'm sure you can easily avoid adding to the impact of those issues.

But being a responsible tourist, might mean staying at home then not a tourist at all.

If numbers at the tourist location are higher than the location can sustain without damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Will the Skelligs be taking visitors this summer/autumn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I presumed it referred to the much debunked "Commercial flights are responsible for 108% of the pollution!1!" type posts

I think the Greta fans need to start their own thread and all virtually high five each other there. This thread is for Travel enthusiasts who can't wait to wander again

No, I think you will find the title of the thread is "In your opinion, what does the future of Travel look like?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Michael OLeary says Ryanair wont fly if social distancing has to occur on flights. He said keeping the middle seat vacant won’t matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Michael OLeary says Ryanair wont fly if social distancing has to occur on flights. He said keeping the middle seat vacant won’t matter

Beginning to think Ryanair could go under

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Regarding travel, quick guesstimate on travel into mainland EU...

So my other half (who lives here in the sticks with myself) is from Germany, and her bro is getting married towards the end of July in Germany. Seems like they're happy to go ahead with the wedding for now. Germany is already lifting some restrictions so my mid-July I guess it's not impossible that their admittedly very small wedding and family gathering will go ahead.

Question: Do ye will my other half be able to fly over from Ireland for this wedding by then? She's hoping to head off early July and stay into August.

I know the answer is probably "no idea, wait and see".... but wild guesses are welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well I have to say I was very surprised to learn that aviation industry only accounts for 2-3% of global carbon emissions. Wonder why it is the focus of so much of the blame in the climate discussions given that.

It's an extremely heavy polluter. Other reports have it up to 10% of carbon emissions.
    The thing is, only a small percentage of the population will ever fly, so on that basis it's one of the biggest polluters there is and if we continue to grow it exponentially it will be far far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

TomSweeney wrote: »

It's Michael O leary
    There's no bad publicity for him.
    Ryanair share holders will want the plans flying no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ZX7R wrote: »
    It's Michael O leary
    There's no bad publicity for him.
    Ryanair share holders will want the plans flying no matter what.

They will but a if he attempts to impose a 33% fare increase to make up for lost capacity then he’s in trouble as the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Very rocky times ahead for low cost carriers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

TomSweeney wrote: »

no chance of that.... they will be 1 of the last remaining.... very strong balance sheet and cash reserves..... they could end up getting hold of transatlantic fleet on the cheap the way things are going....

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Hopefully this is the death of Airbnb. It baffles me how it even took off in the first place, I can't imagine anything more bizarre than going on holidays to somebody's house/ flat.

You obviously haven't done AirBnb then. Went to Crete, rented a whole house - no owner in sight, keys in a lockbox in a central part of town. Was able to cook, sleep, enjoy having a homely massive place for cheaper than a hotel. Didn't have to deal with receptionists, other people.

Had the same in Prague. Got there, had whole apartment to ourselves. Nobody else lives there, lol. It's just a property. Had a kitchen, in case you want to cook meals - which we did, breakfast and lunch and ate out at night. Saves money and you get to experience blending in living and experiencing the city as a local

Saves money and you get to experience blending in living and experiencing the city as a local

While pushing the locals out of the city. Locals can't live in city centres in the likes of Lisbon and Venice any more because of Airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It's an extremely heavy polluter. Other reports have it up to 10% of carbon emissions.
    The thing is, only a small percentage of the population will ever fly, so on that basis it's one of the biggest polluters there is and if we continue to grow it exponentially it will be far far worse.

You keep saying 10% but have never provided a source for it. Even the most vocal critics of the airline industry put it at 2.5%. Planes are getting more fuel efficient and one would hope the likes of the US will improve their rail infrastructure to cut down on the need for flights, US domestic flights are the major global polluter. We have no such option in Ireland and the sort of reductions to air travel you are cheerleading would destroy our connectivity and economy.

snotboogie wrote: »
    You keep saying 10% but have never provided a source for it. Even the most vocal critics of the airline industry put it at 2.5%. Planes are getting more fuel efficient and one would hope the likes of the US will improve their rail infrastructure to cut down on the need for flights, US domestic flights are the major global polluter. We have no such option in Ireland and the sort of reductions to air travel you are cheerleading would destroy our connectivity and economy.

I didn't realise i was cheerleading anything

I didn't realise i was cheerleading anything

No source for the 10% so?

No source for the 10% so?

No, seems like 2.5% is the agreed figure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

While pushing the locals out of the city. Locals can't live in city centres in the likes of Lisbon and Venice any more because of Airbnb.

That's a good point. Why aren't cities putting a cap on amount of airbnb rentals that are allowed there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

People in the US know 2 ways of travel.
    1. Car
    2. Fly

I have known people from the US who fly from San Fran to Los Angeles. There is no way they will spend money on train infrastructure. Public transport is for the poor outside of a few major urban areas.

Anyway, once a thread is on to the 2nd lap of the same argument, its time to unfollow.

1. Car
    2. Fly

I have known people from the US who fly from San Fran to Los Angeles. There is no way they will spend money on train infrastructure. Public transport is for the poor outside of a few major urban areas.

Anyway, once a thread is on to the 2nd lap of the same argument, its time to unfollow.

The LA to San Francisco high speed rail is under construction...... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_High-Speed_Rail eventually it will at reach out to San Diego, Sacramento and Las Vegas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Bye bye now. If you see Greta tell her she needs a better actress coach

giphy.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

1. Car
    2. Fly

Ehhhh, I'm not sure that's totally true? In my experience many people (including myself when I lived there) regularly took public transport. There are many reason's one takes public transport - to save and divert costs somewhere else, to allow them to catch up on emails or podcasts, because they hate driving/flying, to take a rest from road rager's ha. Etc. Some will always fly though, agreed with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Hubertj wrote: »
    no chance of that.... they will be 1 of the last remaining.... very strong balance sheet and cash reserves..... they could end up getting hold of transatlantic fleet on the cheap the way things are going....

And then in 2060 the robot containing Michael O'Leary's brain announces Ryanair are launching a low cost route between earth and Mars. It'll all come full circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Just like everything right now ..the future looks uncertain.

Just like everything right now ..the future looks uncertain.

That's incredibly helpful. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

ShineOn7 wrote:
    That's incredibly helpful. Thanks

It is the truth in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dagon wrote: »
    Regarding travel, quick guesstimate on travel into mainland EU...

So my other half (who lives here in the sticks with myself) is from Germany, and her bro is getting married towards the end of July in Germany. Seems like they're happy to go ahead with the wedding for now. Germany is already lifting some restrictions so my mid-July I guess it's not impossible that their admittedly very small wedding and family gathering will go ahead.

Question: Do ye will my other half be able to fly over from Ireland for this wedding by then? She's hoping to head off early July and stay into August.

I know the answer is probably "no idea, wait and see".... but wild guesses are welcome :)

Ive no ideas but if they are going to Germany or anywhere in the EU make sure to have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). They are free and it gives you access to public health care in any EU member state
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/european_health_insurance_card.html
    Hubertj wrote: »

Id say you are right, Ryanair will be eyeing up their competitors and as they drop they'll swoop in to take their routes. Flybe have already gone to the wall in he UK and they had the most domestic routes serving England, Scotland and Wales.

I wonder what kind of financial position Easyjet are in. If its anyway perilous Ryanair will be in there like a vulture. Though maybe the UK govt would bail out Easyjet if it came to it. Richard Branson is already looking for a £500m bailout from the UK govt for Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

1. Car
    2. Fly

The other side of it is in the US Boeing are a very powerful company. They employ 150,000 people and have a very strong lobby in Washington.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The other side of it is in the US Boeing are a very powerful company. They employ 150,000 people and have a very strong lobby in Washington.

Definitely this

They've been always mentioned when talk turns to American bailouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

I've been following this thread on and off over the last while. It's very difficult to have any certainty around anything given what's happened over the last 7 weeks. However my gut feeling has been that the consensus on this thread has been quite pessimistic. Earlier today I was reading the following report by WHO:

"Non-pharmaceutical public health measures for mitigating the risk and impact of epidemic and pandemic influenza"

They're suggesting that there's little evidence behind travel restrictions and to just use them as delay tactic for a limited period of time. With that in mind, I'd hope air travel within the EU would open up by the end of the summer. Domestic routes should open before then. What are people's thoughts on WHO's recommendations?

https://www.who.int/influenza/publications/public_health_measures/publication/en/

Advertisement