Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion, what does the future of Travel look like?

Options

Comments

Hi all, I have a question for those who might have been following the news a little closer than me this weekend. If there has indeed been any update on this.....

Like many many Irish, I have family split across the islands. I have a mother, and her family in England, and a father in Ireland. I have kids in Ireland and sisters and nieces in England. I am both an Irish and British citizen.

I am looking forward so much to being able to meet my English family again.....over the summer some time. But mandatory and enforced 14 day quarantine is being talked about now, for arrivals to both Ireland and the UK. Has anyone seen any chat this weekend (from knowledgable sources) about whether it will apply to travel within the Common Travel Area. If so, I can kiss goodbye to seeing my family in person for the foreseeable future.

Given that arrivals into the UK from Ireland go through the domestic channel, and not through passport control, I can see Ireland not being included in the UK quarantine rules. But there is no such separation of travellers in Dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Definitely this

They've been always mentioned when talk turns to American bailouts

Without doubt Boeing are a very powerful company with direct access to Washington who threw money at them post 9/11 to save them from going under. Boeing are considered essential in the American economy. Theres also a long history of directors of Boeing going on to be special advisors to the White House and President for all things transport. I can only assume their special advise to whoever holds power is always 'build more planes'. That might change in the future though if Elon Musk can prove up his hyperloop, he is promising speeds of up to 1,200kph which would blow airlines out of the water. Its still a long way off though.
    jd1983 wrote: »

They're suggesting that there's little evidence behind travel restrictions and to just use them as delay tactic for a limited period of time. With that in mind, I'd hope air travel within the EU would open up by the end of the summer. Domestic routes should open before then. What are people's thoughts on WHO's recommendations?

https://www.who.int/influenza/publications/public_health_measures/publication/en/

Not sure why they think there is no sense in travel restrictions when we know the virus went from China to Italy and then onwards to the rest of Europe and the US all carried by infected people.

In any case opening up for travel can only really come by instant testing of passengers at the airports of their departure. On top of that airlines would have to keep the middle seats free which would make things uneconomical for low cost carriers to be flying with 33% less capacity. Their model is predicated on flying with at least 90% capacity, Ryanair commonly achieve 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The latest i hear is that middle seats be left free and large bags be in basement for €1....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Michael O'Leary makes the valid point that you cannot have social distancing on an airplane.

So either you ban all flights for 12-18 months (extremely unlikely) or you impose restrictions at airports instead.

Besides, there is very little evidence aircraft planes are Covid-19 hotbeds.....we've heard virtually nothing about hundreds or thousands of cabin crew falling ill with the virus, which should have happened had planes been the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Strazdas wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary makes the valid point that you cannot have social distancing on an airplane.

So either you ban all flights for 12-18 months (extremely unlikely) or you impose restrictions at airports instead.

Besides, there is very little evidence aircraft planes are Covid-19 hotbeds.....we've heard virtually nothing about hundreds or thousands of cabin crew falling ill with the virus, which should have happened had planes been the problem.

How can you impose restrictions at airports that don’t make it pointless having them operational?

• Advertisement

There are e a few occupations that are pretty well bullitt-proof when it comes to infection and Airline staff, nurses and a few others are top of list as exposed every day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The latest i hear is that middle seats be left free and large bags be in basement for €1....

:confused:

Wanna try that again?

There are e a few occupations that are pretty well bullitt-proof when it comes to infection and Airline staff, nurses and a few others are top of list as exposed every day...

What?!

HSE workers account for 25% of all Irish cases

This is your second post within 10 mins that has me baffled. Genuine question: have you been drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Future of travel flying was discussed on RTE radio 1 this morning.

The panel said travel won't be normal until after a vaccine comes and that's at least 12 months to 2 years away.

They said travel may involve wearing at least a face shield and possibly full body suit.

They said no long haul flight til next year

IrishHomer wrote: »

The panel said travel won't be normal until after a vaccine comes and that's at least 12 months to 2 years away.

They said travel may involve wearing at least a face shield and possibly full body suit.

Have you a time and I'll listen back on their media player?

Zero chance of people buying and then wearing a full body suit

• Advertisement

That’s a pretty unique viewpoint, and I’m not sure that they are not just trying to cause a stir. Most commentators predict that testing is what gets travel back up and running. Either get a test at arrivals and wait in a hotel for 24 hours for the result, or travel with a certificate from a test in the preceding 48 hours. Long haul flights are not going to be grounded for 2 years.....that is just nonsense

First of all you are very rude. one was reply and the other post if you understand.

The first one of your smart remarks relates to middle seats which has being stated in media print by CEO of Airline.
    I know for fact that some Airlines are putting bags in hold for free or very small fee after flights resume.

The reason the Medical people are getting is they are the only ones exposed as everyone else in lockdown including Airline staff.
    What i am saying about Airline staff well known fact.

Have another swig/puff of that stuff its good for your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

What a load of nonsense from whoever was on that panel. Whenever borders reopen airlines will fly and I'll certainly start travelling again. We wont be waiting for a vaccine nor will anyone be wearing a body suit

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

Beach in the south of Spain by September ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Have you a time and I'll listen back on their media player?

Zero chance of people buying and then wearing a full body suit

It was on the Brendan O Connor show, sorry not sure of time I was working

It was on the Brendan O Connor show, sorry not sure of time I was working

Good jaysus. I'll pass on listening to that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hopefully this is the death of Airbnb. It baffles me how it even took off in the first place, I can't imagine anything more bizarre than going on holidays to somebody's house/ flat.

The MAJORITY of AirBNBs are businesses that are the exact same as renting out a villa or hotel with cleaning as an option. It's really no different than offering board with privinding your own food.

Why it took off is easy, it has none of the restrictions that the "norm" hospitality industry has which has been heavily regulated due to how long it's been around. Hence the cost is passed on to the consumer, as such for a fraction of the price of a 4 star hotel thaats pretty much 3 star advertised you can get a glorious apartment, in Barcelona.

I think flights are down 95% so maybe thats why we are not hearing of cabin crew getting it. For those who are working there isnt many people flying anyway so social distancing isnt a problem.

Id also wonder about the inner workings of an airplanes air filtration system. Its a sealed tube and AFAIK the air is recirculating all the time. Not sure if that could carry the virus from passenger to passenger or if the filters would clean it out from the air before it gets pumped back in to the cabin again.

At the end of the day the solution has to be instant tests at the airport. Passengers will bear the cost. But when you think about it if you've 200 passengers who have tested negative right before departure then there should be no reason to have to close off all the middle seats.

lol people laughed at Naomi Campbell taking a flight a few weeks back. Campbell is the one laughing now :D

NC2-768x1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

I went through this 24 page thread and it is quite pessimistic..

I think Irish will still travel abroad in big numbers if allowed of course... nobody here likes pissing rain for 2 weeks in a row and 15°C in "summer", so escape from that got many used to it and they will still go to Spain etc..

Once the WHO will end up covid-19 as a pandemic, travel insurance will have to cover it - I would see even maybe some regulations about that issue from european union, it will raise the prices slightly.

Business travel will still use business class, car rental and 5 stars hotels. Zoom and Skype can't replace that handshake or business lunch together with potential business partner worth millions.

Wizzair - the largest eastern european airline already restarting some flights from 2nd of may and will come back to full operations from june and currently selling many routes for 10 euro one way just to get people flying again..

Face masks are protecting people from Coronavirus - see countries who have compulsory use of them and the numbers of cases. I would see that passengers in public transport and planes would need to have a face mask at least until pandemic is not over... type of mask like N95 would do well to filter the virus especially in a plane

Hope we see some less restrictions next month already

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think flights are down 95% so maybe thats why we are not hearing of cabin crew getting it. For those who are working there isnt many people flying anyway so social distancing isnt a problem.

Id also wonder about the inner workings of an airplanes air filtration system. Its a sealed tube and AFAIK the air is recirculating all the time. Not sure if that could carry the virus from passenger to passenger or if the filters would clean it out from the air before it gets pumped back in to the cabin again.

At the end of the day the solution has to be instant tests at the airport. Passengers will bear the cost. But when you think about it if you've 200 passengers who have tested negative right before departure then there should be no reason to have to close off all the middle seats.

lol people laughed at Naomi Campbell taking a flight a few weeks back. Campbell is the one laughing now :D

NC2-768x1024.jpg

There were a lot of flights up until early March and yet very few, if any, reports of cabin crew contracting Covid-19. It may be that the way air is circulated inside the plane doesn't lend itself to transmission (which would be good news indeed in terms of flights resuming).

• Advertisement

Regardless if travel restrictions are lifted in Ireland, you’ll need to look at the restrictions in your destination country- my guess is, many countries will limit tourism by enforcing a 14 day isolation period for visitors or returning citizens- basically putting foreign holidays off the agenda for 2020- ireland will likely do similar- but hopefully Ireland will allow hotels, and guest houses to open over summer for those currently in the country, thus allowing some form of economic activity to take place.

There were a lot of flights up until early March and yet very few, if any, reports of cabin crew contracting Covid-19. It may be that the way air is circulated inside the plane doesn't lend itself to transmission (which would be good news indeed in terms of flights resuming).

Yeah I didnt see any reports of cabin crew getting it either but I dont think that means it hasnt happened as RTE and the news media havent really reported in detail on clusters except to say that they're happening. I know one Garda station in Dublin has had quite an outbreak amongst staff but that hasnt been reported in the news either. I think the media are doing their best to not panic the public and that involves not reporting some stories.
    Regardless if travel restrictions are lifted in Ireland, you’ll need to look at the restrictions in your destination country- my guess is, many countries will limit tourism by enforcing a 14 day isolation period for visitors or returning citizens- basically putting foreign holidays off the agenda for 2020- ireland will likely do similar- but hopefully Ireland will allow hotels, and guest houses to open over summer for those currently in the country, thus allowing some form of economic activity to take place.

Aside from restrictions its the insurance problem too, companies are not going to cover you for hospital stays in foreign countries if you catch a virus that everyone knew was about. So taking a trip to the US while you are uninsured would be very risky. I saw a woman in Florida on the news was laid off from her job and thus had no health insurance from her employer, then two days later she caught the virus and was landed with a $37,000 bill for an eight day stay in hospital. You'd be mad to take on that kind of risk just for a holiday to the States.

Maybe the EU can force insurance companies to cover the virus but its going to add on a fair whack to the price of a policy. If insurance comapnies are looking at potential bills of up to or even beyond $100k for a single patient then everyones policy is going to have to rise to meet that risk.

"Greece preparing new tourism rules with EU in wake of coronavirus

Packed pools, beaches and tour buses will not return immediately as country plans for scaled back 2020 season"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/26/greece-preparing-new-tourism-rules-in-wake-of-coronavirus

And also even if there isnt a quarantine at the destination, there is the risk that there is another peak and a sudden lockdown. So you wouldnt want to be too far away from Ireland.....certainly not somewhere that requires a layover anywhere.

I do hope that Ireland and the UK converge enough by the summer in terms of restrictions and general infection rates that there can be reasonably free movement across the Common Travel Area, allowing the thousands of families spread across the home nations (mine included) the opportunity to see each other. 14 day mandatory quarantine both ways would be difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

One of the big battles of future travel is being fought at the moment. Looks like old Shane is still up to mischief and there will be a headache when it comes to this one.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/irish-government-backs-airlines-in-battle-over-customer-refunds-39167865.html

Essentially rights of the airline>than the customer.

Something like this could change attitudes and how people book holidays in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I didnt see any reports of cabin crew getting it either but I dont think that means it hasnt happened as RTE and the news media havent really reported in detail on clusters except to say that they're happening. I know one Garda station in Dublin has had quite an outbreak amongst staff but that hasnt been reported in the news either. I think the media are doing their best to not panic the public and that involves not reporting some stories. .

There is an interesting study available to read here (not peer review or anything but still interesting data)...it looked at known cases of super spreaders of the virus, to identify the mode of transmission. It comes to the conclusion that parties/relegious events/sporting events are the main culprits. It also notes that there have been no reported cases of super spreaders from aeroplanes. I take from that, that aeroplanes are a relatively low risk place for contarcting the virus.
    Well at least it looks like they are lower-risk than one would expect them to be.

From the Investments subforum on Boards

An Italian design company are apparently working on this for the middle seats. When you think about how much or the world's economy depends on the Aviation industry, there's just no way they don't find a solution to this in coming months

JANUS_rear-view.jpgJANUS_front-view-916x516.jpg

• Advertisement

lol switching the direction of the middle seat doesnt make the physical distance between passengers any different

Advertisement