Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion, what does the future of Travel look like?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Muahahaha wrote: »
    lol switching the direction of the middle seat doesnt make the physical distance between passengers any different

Did you see the perspex shields in pic 2 and the distance between the two guys?

Something will have to be done as, as mentioned, if you take Aviation and Travel out of any country's GDP then you're looking at big, big economic problems

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

The person in seat A and seat B in front/behind will be sitting across from each other, face to face without a barrier. I doubt that design would happen.

'It's not looking good': Foreign travel looking 'highly unlikely' this year, says Harris

https://www.thejournal.ie/booking-holidays-5090235-May2020/?utm_source=shortlink

HEALTH MINISTER SIMON Harris has said foreign travel for the Irish public is looking “highly unlikely this year”.

The minister also confirmed that a working group has been set up by the Taoiseach to establish if it can be made mandatory for those returning to Ireland – Irish citizens or not – to self isolate for a period of two weeks.
    “At the moment it is not looking good for foreign travel. The advice still remains that should not leave the island of Ireland,” said Harris at the Department of Health this afternoon.

Harris said “being truthful to people it is looking highly unlikely this year”.
    Even if the travel advice did change and people could book holidays abroad, they would still have to self isolate for two weeks upon their return, he said.
    “All of a sudden… your two-week holidays becomes four weeks,” he said. He added that most countries are still advising that people do not travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    'It's not looking good': Foreign travel looking 'highly unlikely' this year, says Harris

https://www.thejournal.ie/booking-holidays-5090235-May2020/?utm_source=shortlink

Yet they're lobbying EU to allow airlines give a one year voucher. Not being able to fly nearly all of that means they really need to sort their **** out.

A notable comment below that article

It seems strange that the Minister is considering in the future to asking Irish people to self isolate when returning to Ireland but yet at the moment there is no restriction on anybody coming across the border what am I missing here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Its a pity he didn't implement this in Feb and March when we had incoming flights from Northern Italy. We were told that these flights couldn't be stopped part of the EU.....etc. Yet it appears we are now acting unilaterally and banning foreign travel. The two stances are not consistent. I also know of people flying into Ireland from all corners of the World during March who did not even get stopped coming through our airports. Is it a case that we make it up as we go along I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Yeah that's pretty much checkmate. For some people in some countries travel is a luxury; but for places with horrible weather - it's a mental health death sentence. It's one thing to be in lockdown in California or Spain or Greece or even Germany and France or something....but a country with no summer....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The_Brood wrote:
    Yeah that's pretty much checkmate. For some people in some countries travel is a luxury; but for places with horrible weather - it's a mental health death sentence. It's one thing to be in lockdown in California or Spain or Greece or even Germany and France or something....but a country with no summer....

I think a hot summer will be worse in these circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

If you're holiday destination has no quarantine later in the summer.
    One week holiday+2 weeks quarantine on return to Ireland, definitely doable for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The_Brood wrote: »

Your parents and grandparents all killed themselves due to lack of foreign holidays did they?

Anyone anticipating a return to business as usual in the skies or at the destination is in for a shock.

In theory you could end up with 6 weeks taken up

Arrive at destination - isolate for two weeks
    Holiday under social distancing rules
    Arrive home - isolate for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

From the Investments subforum on Boards

An Italian design company are apparently working on this for the middle seats. When you think about how much or the world's economy depends on the Aviation industry, there's just no way they don't find a solution to this in coming months

JANUS_rear-view.jpgJANUS_front-view-916x516.jpg

Eh? In the top photo, how did the guy in the suit with bald head (next to the window) get in his seat? Same question re: the guy with the white shirt in the middle seat in the bottom photo? What happens if anyone bar those in the aisle seats needs the toilet during the flight? Looks like they’d need to practically climb over several people to get in and out

Looks totally unworkable IMO

Edit: that’s obviously ignoring the high likelihood that any design like this would not meet safety requirements. Imagine trying to do an emergency evacuation in the dark with all that Perspex around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nuts! That's the solution to a problem that is best solved with everyone having to wear high quality well fitting masks with wraparound shades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Your parents and grandparents all killed themselves due to lack of foreign holidays did they?

Anyone anticipating a return to business as usual in the skies or at the destination is in for a shock.

That's expected to be a reality if you go to a proscribed high risk country
    It's not going to be the case between Ireland and the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That is going to be the biggest barrier to travel. I do imagine eventually economic realities of countries rely heavily depend on tourism will force a relaxation hiwever

I think it was mentioned already but I can see countries with similar levels of good control and similar R0 numbers opening back up to each other with no 14 day rule after

Australia and New Zealand are the biggest example of countries that will likely do this. What European countries might do it with each other?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Travel will get a lot more expensive and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I think it was mentioned already but I can see countries with similar levels of good control and similar R0 numbers opening back up to each other with no 14 day rule after

Australia and New Zealand are the biggest example of countries that will likely do this. What European countries might do it with each other?

Germany, Czechia, Austria?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Germany, Czechia, Austria?

I think i read Croatia and Czech Republic were discussing something similar due to high number of Czechs that holiday on Croatian coast...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Travel will get a lot more expensive and rightly so.

Why rightly so?

Why rightly so?

There was too much needless air travel. It was putting a massive strain on the environment for a start. It was consumerism gone mad. And travel itself was becoming less and less comfortable as airlines cut costs to the bone. Many tourist destinations were becoming so overcrowded with 'selfie' tourists that travel was losing it's sense of adventure (e.g. Paris, Venice, London) and people spent half their city break in queues.

Warren Buffet has dumped all his airline stocks. Many airlines will struggle to survive and travel will become much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

There was too much needless air travel. It was putting a massive strain on the environment for a start. It was consumerism gone mad. And travel itself was becoming less and less comfortable as airlines cut costs to the bone.

Warren Buffet has dumped all his airline stocks. Many airlines will struggle to survive and travel will become much more expensive.

It's human nature to want to explore the world. If someone wants to explore the Costa del Sol for a couple of weeks in the summer, who are you to tell them it's needless?

People will have to travel for business at any rate. The flights are still operating and will continue to increase in terms of frequency and destinations. There is currently no legal requirement to isolate upon return from abroad so it would be an extraordinary regressive move to try to implement it now, and very damaging for businesses.

GazzaL wrote: »
    It's human nature to want to explore the world. If someone wants to explore the Costa del Sol for a couple of weeks in the summer, who are you to tell them it's needless?

2 week breaks in the sun is different and I think you know what I was getting at. I even mentioned city breaks. There is really no need for people to go on 3/4/5 short city breaks a year primarily for their FB/Instagram pages and to keep up with their 'peers'. Standing in a queue for 2/3 hours for a 30 second view of the Mona Lisa 3 meters away is not 'exploring the world'.

What this disaster has shown to me is there is an awful lot of zealots out there. It’ appears that They don’t want the pubs to open again they don’t want people to travel again they want to work at home and watch netflix in their space time sport should be banned also for some of them. Very very strange.

I hope to travel again this year and as soon as it’s possible to do so I will. I look forward to travel and seeing the world again.

2 week breaks in the sun is different and I think you know what I was getting at. I even mentioned city breaks. There is really no need for people to go on 3/4/5 short city breaks a year primarily for their FB/Instagram pages and to keep up with their 'peers'.

Do you honestly believe that people who enjoy city breaks go for Instagram and Facebook likes? Seriously are you are fuxking real?

2 week breaks in the sun is different and I think you know what I was getting at. I even mentioned city breaks. There is really no need for people to go on 3/4/5 short city breaks a year primarily for their social media pages and to keep up with their 'peers'.

How could you distinguish between someone traveling for a city break vs someone traveling on business? Lots of people prefer city breaks to sun holidays and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Do you honestly believe that people who enjoy city breaks go for Instagram and Facebook likes? Seriously are you are fuxking real?

Exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What this disaster has shown to me is there is an awful lot of zealots out there. It’ appears that They don’t want the pubs to open again they don’t want people to travel again they want to work at home and watch netflix in their space time sport should be banned also for some of them. Very very strange.

I hope to travel again this year and as soon as it’s possible to do so I will. I look forward to travel and seeing the world again.

I was supposed to travel to Italy this year and I don’t think I’ll do that for quite some time. I do however like to think I’ll get somewhere sunny around this time next year

Advertisement