Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion, what does the future of Travel look like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

snotboogie wrote: »
    Travel has caused half of the global problems??? As has been pointed out over and over on this thread, commercial air travel has a minor effect on harmful emissions. People are acting like air travel is the driving force behind climate change, it isn't. Air travel has ever been cheaper, it's hardly a middle class pastime when you can get flights for 30 euro.
    You gotta laugh at the climate alarmists on here telling people when and how many times they should be allowed to travel who the hell do they think they are?. It must bother a lot of people seeing others going on 6 breaks a year ( i don’t btw). I see it all the time, people bitching “ oh she goes away 3 times a year, well for her” with a face like punchbag. I’d say fair play to anyone that does.

Freedom of movement is a human right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I said it in another thread but it worth repeating here;

Any chance all the Eco Warrior/Greta The Actress loving fans can go off into your own thread? You can all give each other virtual high fives there if it helps

You're all like vegetarians/vegans who tell people they're vegetarians/vegans, when no one actually asked

4e2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ShineOn7 wrote: »

You're all like vegetarians/vegans who tell people they're vegetarians/vegans, when no one actually asked

but those people don't exist, just people like you bang on about them.
    The exponential growth of the aviation industry is damaging and only something rich people tend to do. There are drawbacks which have been outlined in this thread and some of us would just rather they didn't get any worse. It's a heavy polluter, especially when you consider more than 80% of the world's population have never flown.
    Do we want to get to a stage where everyone on the planet can fly? That'd be a total disaster. Some things need to be kept in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Nobody said they were “immune” still very low numbers when you consider how many planes in the sky.

It was said that no one had heard of anyone dying with implications that no one had died

I provided a quick example of those who have passed to prove people had died, whilst people on here were concluding no one had.

Do you want a list of every single person in the industry who has died due to exposure at work? It's a long list.

Air travel is down over 90% across Europe as released by Eurocontrol https://www.eurocontrol.int/covid19 If this is at 10% capacity, how will those numbers look if we suddenly ramped back up to 100% capacity? This is all a very necessary inconvenience

• Advertisement

1123heavy wrote: »
    It was said that no one had heard of anyone dying with implications that no one had died

I provided a quick example of those who have passed to prove people had died, whilst people on here were concluding no one had.

Do you want a list of every single person in the industry who has died due to exposure at work? It's a long list.

Air travel is down over 90% across Europe as released by Eurocontrol https://www.eurocontrol.int/covid19 If this is at 10% capacity, how will those numbers look if we suddenly ramped back up to 100% capacity? This is all a very necessary inconvenience

So how many of the cases of the total in Ireland are cabin crew from Ryanair and Aerlingus? Going by your post you must have the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

threeball wrote: »
    Its a totally frivolous waste of resources. An easy way to reduce unnecessary emissions whilst having the benefit of reducing the ability of viruses such as this to spread. There is no justification for someone to take 6 city breaks a year bar self indulgence. No need to fly across a continent for a 1 hour or half day business meeting. Unless you are physically inspecting a product there is nothing you can't do on Skype, Teams or Zoom bar going for pints with someone you don't know in order to do business. In my experience they don't want to spend their evening with you anyway, they'd rather spend it with their family and you both run out of small talk by the time the dinner is over. I've used all those platforms alot of the last 5 weeks and have got through a serious amount that would have taken weeks just to arrange schedules to align and then the cost and hassle of travel.

How many people actually take more than 5 city breaks a year?? Who travels for a one hour meeting???

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Without buisness travel, (and its going to be permenently reduced going forward), domestic travel will be much more expensive.

Leo saying this morning that talks underway in EU to adopt a consistent approach to arrival protocols across EU airports. Hopefully is the first step toward an EU-wide travel zone.

How many people actually take more than 5 city breaks a year?? Who travels for a one hour meeting???

I don't think many travel for a one hour meeting. But 5 city breaks a year? I'd say that is common enough. I certainly would have got in more than 5 short haul European trips in a year

• Advertisement

I don't think many travel for a one hour meeting. But 5 city breaks a year? I'd say that is common enough. I certainly would have got in more than 5 short haul European trips in a year

I have worked in numerous offices where there is a lot of travel, I have never heard of somebody travelling for a one hour meeting. The most frivolous travel I see is non customer facing roles going to conferences but even this is less than 5% of the overall. I suspect when people say "one hour meetings" or "meet and greets" the vast majority of this is actually meeting customers and actively selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Without buisness travel, (and its going to be permenently reduced going forward), domestic travel will be much more expensive.

I dont see travel reducing overall, yes in the short term , but by mid 2021 , it should be in steady recovery

BoatMad wrote: »
    I dont see travel reducing overall, yes in the short term , but by mid 2021 , it should be in steady recovery

Exactly, for the begrudgers hoping that travel will be reducing longterm are going to be very disappointed :-). It will recover, it’s too big. However 2021 might be optimistic, but a year or 2 later will see things pick up gradually.

So you think deals worth millions will be done on a Zoom call?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

So you think deals worth millions will be done on a Zoom call?

Well, i am not sure that it matters much, but perhaps the final handshake will be done in person.

Oh, wait, nobody is going to be shaking hands in the future either....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Leo saying this morning that talks underway in EU to adopt a consistent approach to arrival protocols across EU airports. Hopefully is the first step toward an EU-wide travel zone.

Yeah there has to be an EU wide solution. Main question for us is how will it work with the UK now that they've left the EU. They'll have to hold their nose abiding by EU regulations if they want their aviation sector to get going again. They're an island nation so will have no choice really but to abide by whatever the EU says or else risk being cut off entirely.

A decently upto list of countries and what restrictions they have and haven't got

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

but those people don't exist, just people like you bang on about them.
    The exponential growth of the aviation industry is damaging and only something rich people tend to do. There are drawbacks which have been outlined in this thread and some of us would just rather they didn't get any worse. It's a heavy polluter, especially when you consider more than 80% of the world's population have never flown.
    Do we want to get to a stage where everyone on the planet can fly? That'd be a total disaster. Some things need to be kept in check.

Kept in check. So basically keep the great unwashed away from it, excluding your esteemed self of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Kept in check. So basically keep the great unwashed away from it, excluding your esteemed self of course.

Currently the great unwashed are kept away from it anyway, 80% of people will never fly. I would be happy flying once a year to Europe if possible.

A thread of Tweets from a traveler landing in Hong Kong and their experience

Example

https://twitter.com/laurelchor/status/1260784497055764480

Rest of their experience is here. Looks very thorough in Hong Kong to say the least

https://twitter.com/laurelchor/status/1260784481159442434

• Advertisement

A thread of Tweets from a traveler landing in Hong Kong and their experience

Example

https://twitter.com/laurelchor/status/1260784497055764480

Rest of their experience is here. Looks very thorough in Hong Kong to say the least

https://twitter.com/laurelchor/status/1260784481159442434

The first world Asian countries are really far ahead of us in all matters. It's just having more of a light shone on it with the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The first world Asian countries are really far ahead of us in all matters. It's just having more of a light shone on it with the virus.
    Standard of living is definitely higher in Ireland than Hong Kong.

AdamD wrote: »

The killer in Hong Kong is the cost of living, particularly in accommodation. The political situation has hurt them too. In terms of services they are million miles ahead of us.

"EU could reopen borders to tourists in Covid-19 recovery plan"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/12/eu-reopen-borders-tourists-covid-19-recovery-plan

Could someone tell me if they've heard of this part of the article below?
    Greece, among nine countries that have notched up low infection rates so far - and have formed the Smart Covid-19 management group – has proposed that tourism ministers also meet to discuss the idea of travel corridors among the alliance.

What are these 9 countries and what is the Smart Covid-19 management group? A sleepy late night Google last night didn't find anything

Another part of that article stands out
    Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia will reopen their borders to each other from 15 May, creating a Baltic “travel bubble”.

And
    Greece hopes the sector can be rebooted by 15 June with the nation opening to foreign tourists by 1 July.

According to this though, Irish and many other nations can already enter Greece https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Some Greek island hopping from August looks tempting if our European Health Card covers Covid by then (or does it already?)

The 14 day quarantine would be ok as I'd stay there about 6-8 weeks. Hotels etc will be rock bottom prices

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They really dont do things by halves in Asia. We're here still debating the effectiveness of masks eight weeks into this whereas they just have everyone wearing them in public overnight. Same with the 14 day self isolation on arrival, you just know they will be checking up on you whereas here it'll be just left up to people whether to obey it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

In some measures, yes. In others, definitely not. I wouldn't say it's clear cut that Ireland has a better standard of living than Hong Kong at all. What are you basing it on, like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

In some measures, yes. In others, definitely not. I wouldn't say it's clear cut that Ireland has a better standard of living than Hong Kong at all. What are you basing it on, like?

Have you actually been to Hong Kong? Some of it is borderline slums

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Because it does. Hong Kong is great for the wealthy, but go do some reading. Many people live in sub divided rooms that are basically slums

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Have you actually been to Hong Kong? Some of it is borderline slums
    Where are the slums in Hong Kong?!?! Sham Shui Po is probably the poorest area of Hong Kong, and I would say it's incredibly harsh to call it anything close to a slum.

batman_oh wrote: »
    Because it does. Hong Kong is great for the wealthy, but go do some reading. Many people live in sub divided rooms that are basically slums
    I've lived in Hong Kong for the past 5 years. It's incredibly hard for some people out here, especially those on less than $15k per month (particularly if they haven't yet got public housing, and don't live with their parents). But the overall standard of living is in no way far below that of Ireland.

Sub-divided flats are not "slums". Some are awful, some aren't so bad. Homeless people in HK DO have it rough, and yes there are the infamous "cage" homes that some live in. But there's quite a significant homeless problem in Ireland as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Just got this email from Aegeann Air (the Greek airline) with some interesting hints about how they will be flying..
    Having as absolute priority the health and safety of our passengers and employees and in close cooperation with the authorities, we have already modified the procedures in place for boarding, both at the gate and for aircraft access, and our inflight service. We have also reinforced the protocols for cleaning and disinfecting our aircraft.

The use of a face mask has become obligatory for both our passengers and our crews, and from now on, only one personal item will be allowed in the cabin.

Furthermore, the last 3 rows of seats will be kept vacant in case we should need to isolate a passenger with potential symptoms

So, no perspex glass etc, just 3 empty rows. Grand.

Advertisement