Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion, what does the future of Travel look like?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Looks like there'll be zero social distancing going on with Ryan Air when they resume in July too

Fcuk that. I'll wait and see how this goes over the next 2 months before getting on a plane anywhere in the EU

O'Leary doesn't give a flying singular fúck about you or if you catch anything

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Looks like there'll be zero social distancing going on with Ryan Air when they resume in July too

Fcuk that. I'll wait and see how this goes over the next 2 months before getting on a plane anywhere in the EU

There's no social distancing on any airline. They've basically been told they dont have to. Have to wear a face mask but thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You can't socially distance on a plane. Leaving the middle seat free or similar alternatives are purely lip service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Interesting article on the independent today (premium alas) about the creation of travel bubble corridors between countries with low rates to boost tourism. Talks of things like dedicated aircraft.

Ireland is currently green, along with Benelux, Denmark and Norway. The UK is orange, and although they will want to have such a corridor with Ireland, we will not be so keen.

'Travel bubbles' between low-risk countries planned to help tourism

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/travel-bubbles-between-low-risk-countries-planned-to-help-tourism-39230980.html

Caranica wrote: »

There's not much reading in that, it's for Subscribers only

• Advertisement

There's not much reading in that, it's for Subscribers only

I did say that in my first sentence!

Caranica wrote: »
    I did say that in my first sentence!

Sorry, I read it before I'd any caffeine in me ;-)

There's no social distancing on any airline. They've basically been told they dont have to. Have to wear a face mask but thats about it

I've flown with aer Lingus to Heathrow over the last couple of weeks (essential work related trips). The planes have been busy enough (I overhead the cabin crew say 80 on the last flight). But everyone wears masks and behaves carefully around each other. It's obvious that people are trying not to breathe on others, and there is not the rush to grab bags when disembarking. And boarding is done in small groups to avoid aisle blockages. I thought it was actually okay, and I did not feel particularly exposed. No more than in SuperValu on a weekend

I thought it was actually okay, and I did not feel particularly exposed. No more than in SuperValu on a weekend

Were you sitting beside two strangers on these flights?

My worry is doing this, on a cramped plane. Especially on a future long haul

Were you sitting beside two strangers on these flights?

My worry is doing this, on a cramped plane. Especially on a future long haul

The middle seats have always been free beside me. Probably due to the load factor rather than by design, but I think would be normal over this year at least given that the volumes of people wanting to fly are likely to be lower. But there was someone 2 seats away, and behind me, and I did not feel concerned. People were very respectful in their movements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The middle seats have always been free beside me. Probably due to the load factor rather than by design, but I think would be normal over this year at least given that the volumes of people wanting to fly are likely to be lower. But there was someone 2 seats away, and behind me, and I did not feel concerned. People were very respectful in their movements

Grand when you've got respectful people around you I'd say. It's when the prat brigade start traveling again that would worry me.

Grand when you've got respectful people around you I'd say. It's when the prat brigade start traveling again that would worry me.

I don't disagree with that. I'm 100% comfortable on an aerlingus flight to London or other destinations or a transatlantic flight (my wife is American and we will be travelling over soon to stay with her family for a while while I am WFH). But a jammed €10 Ryanair flight to Malaga or the Canaries when restrictions are lifted will likely look very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

So do people coming from GB into Dublin have to quarantine in Ireland whereas we going into GB don't?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    So do people coming from GB into Dublin have to quarantine in Ireland whereas we going into GB don't?

That is correct, yes.

Why is O'Leary simultaneously advertising the return of Ryanair for July and also cancelling flights in the same month?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Airbnb will certainly take a hit. There is already an anti tourist movement in various European cities Barcelona and Venice spring to mind. After 2020 it may take two or three summers for the tourist industry to return to a semblance of what it was.

bocaman wrote: »
    Airbnb will certainly take a hit. There is already an anti tourist movement in various European cities Barcelona and Venice spring to mind. After 2020 it may take two or three summers for the tourist industry to return to a semblance of what it was.

But that’s a good thing, right?

But that’s a good thing, right?

How is the demise of Air BnB good for Travelers?

Less Air BnBs mean less competition for hotels which means higher prices

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Why is O'Leary simultaneously advertising the return of Ryanair for July and also cancelling flights in the same month?

Because they are returning from a base of feck all flights to a 40% schedule. Of course they're cancelling flights when they dont need a full schedule.

How is the demise of Air BnB good for Travelers?

Less Air BnBs mean less competition for hotels which means higher prices

Many places were ruined by the hordes of tourists. Barcelona and Venice are two of the highest profile examples, but there are so many more. Reducing the level of tourism, IMO, is a good thing, both for the tourist experience itself and local communities. If prices are higher as a result, so be it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

We've been so conditioned to think that growth is the be all and end all and unable to consider that not everyone necessarily wants that. Sometimes enough is enough. Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice all in that camp. Nobody lives in Dublin city so nobody cares here. We are also obsessed with tourism and tourism is so interconnected with brand ireland, it's hard for us to think of it in a negative light.

Emirates giving out masks, gloves, sanitiser and wipes for flights out of Dubai.

https://twitter.com/emirates/status/1265296732226818048?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Hi all,
    We we due to travel to Sapin for a few weeks from June 27th but cancelled due to restrictions. buT im JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE IS PLANNING ON TRAVELLING FROM juLY 1ST WHEN SPAIN IS PLANNING ON OPENING UP TO TOYURISTS AGAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Here's just a thought...
    But if flights are back in say late July. A random date. Won't they start off with limited seats first to abide by social distancing?

Doesn't that also mean they will charge more for flights to recoup costs?

Won't they start off with limited seats first to abide by social distancing?

Last I read, it doesn't look like any of the EU airlines are doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Here's just a thought...
    But if flights are back in say late July. A random date. Won't they start off with limited seats first to abide by social distancing?

Because you can't socially distance on an airplane, its utterly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,276 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Here's just a thought...

According to O'Leary flights are back, fully loaded with passengers on July 1st.
    Ours to Lanzarote on that date still scheduled (not that we'll be on it which means I'll be €1600 out of pocket) so All I can see is that the airlines will push & push to get things abck to normal ASAP & use the idea of facemasks & cleaning as their workaround.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Wearing masks on a flight any further than the UK is impossible. Any further than that you would need to eat and/or drink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

DvB wrote: »
    According to O'Leary flights are back, fully loaded with passengers on July 1st.
    Ours to Lanzarote on that date still scheduled (not that we'll be on it which means I'll be €1600 out of pocket) so All I can see is that the airlines will push & push to get things abck to normal ASAP & use the idea of facemasks & cleaning as their workaround.

Why would you not be on it ?

Advertisement