Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion, what does the future of Travel look like?

Options

Comments

DvB wrote: »
    According to O'Leary flights are back, fully loaded with passengers on July 1st.
    Ours to Lanzarote on that date still scheduled (not that we'll be on it which means I'll be €1600 out of pocket) so All I can see is that the airlines will push & push to get things abck to normal ASAP & use the idea of facemasks & cleaning as their workaround.

Ryanair isnt enforcing masks. A member of my family was on the flight to LGW today and people weren't wearing them. Someone changed seat half way through and set beside her and coughed. When she asked him to put on a mask he replied "they make no difference anyway".

On the aer lingus flight I took last week, everyone was wearing masks, and you weren't let on without one.

MoL says one thing, but does not get his company to practice it. There is zero chance of mask wearing on a ryanair flight to Malaga. There will be no difference to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,276 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Why would you not be on it ?

The wife doesn't feel comfortable enough to travel. She just feels too nervous about the whole thing, airports, plane journey, another airport, taxi transfers, resort which may not be fully open etc. I'd say had we been booked for later in the summer there was a chance she'd travel but with it being the first day of Ryanair being 'back to normal' she's not liking the idea at all.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,276 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ryanair isnt enforcing masks. A member of my family was on the flight to LGW today and people weren't wearing them. Someone changed seat half way through and set beside her and coughed. When she asked him to put on a mask he replied "they make no difference anyway".

On the aer lingus flight I took last week, everyone was wearing masks, and you weren't let on without one.

MoL says one thing, but does not get his company to practice it. There is zero chance of mask wearing on a ryanair flight to Malaga. There will be no difference to normal

Agree.
    I said the same on the other thread that was locked & was jumped on by folk saying you'd have to, and if you cant wear the mask you shouldnt take the flight etc. etc. etc. The reality is there is not a chance ryanair flights to the canaries & the costa del sol full of families will wear facemasks for the full duration of their journey.
    You can smake these rules up & expect the airlines to enfoce them but it just wont happen IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Agree.
    I said the same on the other thread that was locked & was jumped on by folk saying you'd have to, and if you cant wear the mask you shouldnt take the flight etc. etc. etc. The reality is there is not a chance ryanair flights to the canaries & the costa del sol full of families will wear facemasks for the full duration of their journey.
    You can smake these rules up & expect the airlines to enfoce them but it just wont happen IMO.

Its one thing pulling your mask down for a moment to get some air or have some food or drink, as seemed to be the behaviour on the aer lingus flight I was on. Its a complete other thing to just not be required to wear them getting on the plane, or at all during the journey, as seems to be the case on todays Dub - LGW ryanair flight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Ye may forget about travel in july anyhow as Holahan said at today's conference that he envisaged the advice in july will be no unnecessary foreign travel
    That means no travel insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Ye may forget about travel in july anyhow as Holahan said at today's conference that he envisaged the advice in july will be no unnecessary foreign travel
    That means no travel insurance

You know you can travel without insurance right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Gael23 wrote: »
    Wearing masks on a flight any further than the UK is impossible. Any further than that you would need to eat and/or drink
    No need to eat or drink. People are capable of not smoking for 4 to 5 hours routinely, the same applies to eating/drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

AdamD wrote: »
    ^ this here i know theres always insurance option if plane crashes etc or stuff gets lost or delayed, but some pecking at health insurance, ive no clue, surely 4hours to get back from any place in eu makes no difference if one suspects they could gotten ill at worst. Imagine those traveling over continents and where its mandatory its their issue, but within eu who cares ?

I wouldnt be too bothered about travel insurance in Europe. Whether EHIC is valid for COVID treatment when travelling in a pandemic is a different question, but I'm not concerned about needing hospitalisation for COVID. Given my age and health profile, the chances of that happening is not meaningful. If I cant fly back because I fail a temperature test or something I will just find an airbnb and hunker down for a couple of weeks where I am

The one thing I will do, that I wouldn't normally, is to travel with my laptop, so if I cannot get home for some reason than I can just WFH there

I wouldn't
    Imagine if you were in an accident or something

• Advertisement

I wouldn't
    Imagine if you were in an accident or something

EHIC

EHIC

That'll cover an air ambulance home?
    Or fly a relation over
    Replace money if I'm mugged?
    Cover me if I'm sued?

That'll cover an air ambulance home?
    Or fly a relation over
    Replace money if I'm mugged?

It’s Europe. Not Thailand. I’m be happy to take that risk. I have never travelled in the EU with insurance. I actually have it now, recently, on the Amex but that’s not necessarily by design

It’s Europe. Not Thailand. I’m be happy to take that risk. I have never travelled in the EU with insurance. I actually have it now, recently, on the Amex but that’s not necessarily by design

Its probably void on amex too if the travel advice is do not travel
    I would not dream of going anywhere with out it for the sake of 30 euros
    Imagine having to fly home at short notice for a bereavement or someone sick
    Youd at least get holiday curtailment money back and the price of an expensive one way at short notice home

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

My Irish Health Insurance covered me in The Phillipines last year :pac:
    Travel insurance is a complete racket

Its probably void on amex too if the travel advice is do not travel
    I would not dream of going anywhere with out it for the sake of 30 euros
    Imagine having to fly home at short notice for a bereavement or someone sick
    Youd at least get holiday curtailment money back and the price of an expensive one way at short notice home

We all have different appetites for risk. I wouldn’t hesitate to go on holiday in Europe this year

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

So, I've bit the bullet and booked a few days in Italy in July. Flying out 1 July with Ryanair Looking forward to the sun, sitting in a restaurant and having a drink in a bar. I may even get my haircut over there! :cool:

Interestingly, on my flight out there were 43 seats already booked that I couldn't select to sit in and on the way home there were close to 90 seats already booked - now I'm not sure how accurate the website is but it is reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Absolutely. The talk among social commentators about how behaviour will change reeks of pure fantasy to me. It's interesting to think how society would adapt if huge industries like aviation didn't recover but realistically, it will. Some cities will use the pandemic to ween themselves off tourism though which I mentioned already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

How the hell does it make sense for Ryanair to be selling major flights in July if the government says no travel and is imposing 2 week quarantines? So the government will legally allow Ryanair to take you out of the country for holiday, but then punish you when you return and threaten fines?

This has to be the stupidest thing I have heard of in my life. There need to be clear rules, you can't have airlines breaking the law but then expect to punish passengers for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

The_Brood wrote: »
    How the hell does it make sense for Ryanair to be selling major flights in July if the government says no travel and is imposing 2 week quarantines? So the government will legally allow Ryanair to take you out of the country for holiday, but then punish you when you return and threaten fines?

This has to be the stupidest thing I have heard of in my life. There need to be clear rules, you can't have airlines breaking the law but then expect to punish passengers for it.

Well there is actually no legal requirement to quarantine when you enter Ireland. It is only advice. The legal requirement is to complete a passenger locator form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Just bear in mind the quarantine isn’t mandatory due to legal reasons. The law is for making sure you sign a locator form on return. Harris is trying to find a way to make it mandatory whether he’ll succeed we’ll have to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

FrStone wrote: »
    Well there is actually no legal requirement to quarantine when you enter Ireland. It is only advice. The legal requirement is to complete a passenger locator form.

My mistake then, what I was reading on RTE was sounding like it was mandatory.

My mistake then, what I was reading on RTE was sounding like it was mandatory.

Just the form is mandatory, to facilitate track and trace. Also, filling in the form with false information is an offence so if, in a follow up call, there are suspicions about the veracity of the info provided, it presumably gives the Gardaí the opportunity to investigate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Simon Harris was questioned about making essential travel and quarantine mandatory yesterday in the daul , legally it it appears to be unattainable.
    About time he amitted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ZX7R wrote: »
    Simon Harris was questioned about making essential travel and quarantine mandatory yesterday in the daul , legally it it appears to be unattainable.
    About time he amitted it.

He's been saying for months its legally challenging, that's not going to change. He pushed it out another month, basically until theres a new government.

Its just not going to happen. Hop on a plane and travel if you want, fill in the form when your home and thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

He's been saying for months its legally challenging, that's not going to change. He pushed it out another month, basically until theres a new government.

Its just not going to happen. Hop on a plane and travel if you want, fill in the form when your home and thats it

Yes but it's gone from legally challenging to legally unattainable.
    My point is he is finally admitting to the fact it ain't going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

"July 1 will end all lockdowns in Thailand, including international travel"

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/july-1-will-end-all-lockdowns-in-thailand-including-international-travel

"The Thai government says it will lift all remaining business and activity lockdowns on July 1, according to the National Security Council chief.
    “This includes interprovincial and international travel, as well as the end of emergency decree and curfew.”

The lift of all restrictions, imposed under the country’s emergency decree, would be a “complete reopening of the country”. Officials and the CCSA will spend June getting ready for this milestone in the country’s relatively successful Covid-19 strategy"

The Thaiger is usually a reliable source for all things Thailand

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chaikhosi

Airbnb took off because hotels were not just overcrowded, but often really sh*te. I remember blundering into a hotel that was expensive, shabby and still trying to charge by the hour for wifi. It takes competition to force standards up a bit.

Take your point though that one (wo)man's accessible travel is another's inaccessible place to live, and in the busiest destinations there's probably no happy compromise. Shutting down Airbnb means lower tourist revenue though, and if you need the money...

Augeo wrote: »
    Yup..... Housing for locals should be more accessible & hotel rooms shall be more expensive, as they should be really. AirB&B has made life tough for many and it's fairly sh1t a concept as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chaikhosi

My 2 cents:

Travel insurance will be a problem unless governments start backstopping the corona related risk. Like the UK government does with flood risk on home policies. At the moment corona related cancellations are uninsurable for new bookings, and there's a big enough risk of getting caught out that I would only spend pocket money. I'm not risking thousands when a random thermometer reading could mean I am denied boarding at the last minute.

Air on planes is filtered pretty well, but that's just while you're onboard with the engines running. Airports were already bad for random delays before this with all the "security" busywork, and health checks will make things worse. Many comments in this thread that people won't stay scared of corona forever, and will go back to fun things even if risky, but airports are no fun anymore. There's a lot more space on the ferry, and no hassle driving on and off. On the other hand though, would you look at the fares...

Driving in your own car for holidays is much easier than public transport, both in terms of infection risk and flexibility. Unless you want to go long haul of course. Maybe the EU will bung more cash at electric cars and charging points across Europe?

More staycations in future. Ireland has lovely beaches and the rain does stop every now and then.

Unless governments squash it with new regulations, I can't see why anyone thinks Airbnb will vanish longer term. Flat/cottage rentals usually more comfy and less hassle than hotels, and better for social distancing too.

Governments everywhere will be short of cash and can easily dress up travel taxes as green... new regulations against Airbnb etc, not so much.

Might have to rename that Mexican beer eventually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement