Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion, what does the future of Travel look like?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

thebaz wrote: »
    Fully agree - add New York, London, San Fran and Dublin to that list - certain good will come out of all this , we will appreciate our own counrty more, travelling to Spain or France will be really appreciative and locals might actually be able to afford to live in ther own cities , rather than gazumped by AirBnB rates.

Don't forget Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭threeball

I think there possibly a global shift though so many economies be completely unsustainable without tourist currency.
    Spain is the model of this and Southern Spain completely reliant on tourism.
    It will also bring the forgotton carbon footprint of air travel into focus.

I really hope so but i feel that we're too selfish and dumb to care or see the damage we do and will just return to normal.

I check in to worldometers to see how this virus is progressing in different areas but the scariest thing I've seen on there is not the virus data, it's the population data. The death rate ticks over at a reasonable speed even with a global pandemic but the birth rate turns at a ridiculous rate. We're adding about 100,000 extra people per day to a planet that's already overpopulated. That's truly frightening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You think the locals care? The amount of money that tourism brings to these places is astronomical.

So many places would be run down ghost towns if it wasn't for the tourists. I don't expect any major changes to happen to world travel.

Yes? There’s a balance to be struck. It’s not all about money and not every resident benefits from tourism. There have been protests about overtourism in some cities. Barcelona, off the top of my head. So clearly not all residents are happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Hopefully it will bring an end to all the casual flying around that people do nowadays. Foreign holidays might go back to being a once a year treat that people look forward to, rather than an almost monthly occurrence. Likewise how many business trips will become unnecessary now that we've all discovered how easy and less time wasting it is to Skype, video conference, zoom etc

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

Hopefully it will bring an end to all the casual flying around that people do nowadays. Foreign holidays might go back to being a once a year treat that people look forward to, rather than an almost monthly occurrence. Likewise how many business trips will become unnecessary now that we've all discovered how easy and less time wasting it is to Skype, video conference, zoom etc

I don’t know anyone who takes monthly holidays

I do agree that this has changed international business meetings forever though. Many of them were holidays in all but name and written off as a tax expense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Normality will resume in 8 to 10 weeks one way or another, id expect a lot of airlines to go out of business though. I've a holiday booked for the end of july.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

MadYaker wrote: »
    Normality will resume in 8 to 10 weeks one way or another, id expect a lot of airlines to go out of business though. I've a holiday booked for the end of july.

You reckon 8-10 weeks? What makes you think that? I have seen nobody with even the slightest credibility make any such estimation.

MadYaker wrote: »

I’ve some bad news for you;

- Normality in Travel isn’t resuming this year, let alone in 10 weeks

- You’re not going on that holiday in July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

RiseAbove4 wrote: »
    My thoughts;

- This isn’t going anywhere in even 6 months. Next March Covid will still be a thing. Many believe it’ll become part of the regular illnesses we have to avoid, like seasonal flu. All they can do now is suppress this

More like the chicken pox, get it young and out of the way basically.
    I’ve some bad news for you;

- Normality in Travel isn’t resuming this year, let alone in 10 weeks

- You’re not going on that holiday in July

You're basing that on what, your own hysteria?

I could easily see a phased resumption of services this summer. Everyone or the majority are going to get it, be fine, and the world will keep turning.

No one is even attempting to stop it, just slow it down so hospitals will be able to cope with the particularly old and vulnerable.
    It'll eventually catch up and then it's done, herd immunity and we move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I was looking at flight radar today, the sky full of planes over Europe, USA, Asia and China, much less over Australia and South America.
    I make a separate post but i was advised i effed up, (what's new) it seems i put in wrong box i thought the mods fixed these things to keep eejits like me straight.
    I am to travel next month, as of now still on, i expect be cancelled bit only to mid May or June.
    Just by accident i say a few Aer Lingus, two over Dublin and one in Atlantic 537 km west of me.

Since i posted i was looking at cost of flights to Spain June/Sept, the prices are crazy.
    There may be loads of people on the site or it may be we have money by then.
    It often happens the more hits the more €€€

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was looking at flight radar today, the sky full of planes over Europe, USA, Asia and China, much less over Australia and South America.
    I make a separate post but i was advised i effed up, (what's new) it seems i put in wrong box i thought the mods fixed these things to keep eejits like me straight.

You created a thread about flightradar24 in the travel forum. I advised you as follows ...
    coylemj wrote: »
    At the risk of backseat modding.....

This thread is more appropriate in Aviation & Aircraft. Where there is a very active flightradar24 thread...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057555939&page=610

And despite me providing you with a link to a thread on that specific topic and which has >9,000 posts, you responded .....
    I have no idea where it is and don't really care, i thought it automatically fit in where appropriate..

Then you created a thread in this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Masala

I am to travel next month, as of now still on, i expect be cancelled bit only to mid May or June.
    Just by accident i say a few Aer Lingus, two over Dublin and one in Atlantic 537 km west of me.

Since i posted i was looking at cost of flights to Spain June/Sept, the prices are crazy.
    There may be loads of people on the site or it may be we have money by then.
    It often happens the more hits the more €€€

Remember that alot of people got option to move their Mar/April & May flights at zero cost (except fare difference). This probably 'filled' unsold seats and so the remaining are on same at the highest fare.!

Cant see anyone in their right mind going to Spain in June !!...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

You reckon 8-10 weeks? What makes you think that? I have seen nobody with even the slightest credibility make any such estimation.

Italians are expecting to start relax there restrictions in June

coylemj wrote: »
    You created a thread about flightradar24 in the travel forum. I advised you as follows ...

And despite me providing you with a link to a thread on that specific topic and which has >9,000 posts, you responded .....

Then you created a thread in this forum!

So Airlines are not travel? i am not sure i agree.
    You the boss put it where you like...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hopefully this is the death of Airbnb. It baffles me how it even took off in the first place, I can't imagine anything more bizarre than going on holidays to somebody's house/ flat.

I genuinely can’t see Airbnb surviving this. Hosts will be reluctant to let the few willing travelers into their home

Masala wrote: »
    Remember that alot of people got option to move their Mar/April & May flights at zero cost (except fare difference). This probably 'filled' unsold seats and so the remaining are on same at the highest fare.!

Cant see anyone in their right mind going to Spain in June !!...

I just fallow the rules so now we are all in lockdown so home.
    If the bus is goin i be on it as already booked so thats it.
    I assume Airlines are responsible so i be happy that.
    I noticed a flight i booked for like €70 is now €250.

We are only guaranteed two things *death and taxes"
    i do run a bit astray sometimes/always depending on mood.
    Today i'm kinda normal?

Hopefully this is the death of Airbnb. It baffles me how it even took off in the first place, I can't imagine anything more bizarre than going on holidays to somebody's house/ flat.

Why would it be the bankruptcy of AirBnB?

And why the dislike of them? I’ve found them essential in countries with overpriced hotels, capital cities especially

The only way this will be the end of AirBnB is if a massive tax is applied to aviation fuel. Otherwise, they will get through this and back to normal like the rest of us.

The only way this will be the end of AirBnB is if a massive tax is applied to aviation fuel. Otherwise, they will get through this and back to normal like the rest of us.

Why would tax be added to aviation fuel though when the industry is already on its knees?

An added tax would completely wipe them out

Why would tax be added to aviation fuel though when the industry is already on its knees?

An added tax would completely wipe them out

A tax is needed to reduce the amount people fly. Basically, the polluter pays principle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

A tax is needed to reduce the amount people fly. Basically, the polluter pays principle

It won't work out that way, very simple economics to reboot everything even air lines ,is to get people to spend, after this crisis every country in the world is going to be looking for people to spend money they won't care what country you come from as long as you spend spend spend.
    I'd expect to see tax breaks giving to airlines to promote cheap flights

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

thebaz wrote: »
    I'm lucky to have done much travelling throughout my life - was in Thailand in 1990 when ther was no electricty on many of the islands , and tribes still existed up North - last time I was back about 9 years ago , I was struck at how over-run it was by Tourists , remember watching a big Russian midday wobbling down a crowded beach swigging of a bottle of Whiskey and just threw up everwher - havnt been back since - The horrific pollution in India and Indo are very troubling , maybe these countrys need time to heal.

Yeah like yourself I did a lot of travelling throughout Asia in the early to mid 2000s. Im glad I did it then because things have changed massively compared to how it is now. A mate used to go to Ko Phang Ngan every year for ages but stopped when mass travel arrived and prices shot up, a beer that was 80p quickly became £3 in the space of a few short years. Like wise Ive been in Nepal three times over the course of 9 years and each and everytime you'd see way more tourists than the previous visit.

Was in Lisbon in off season October and there was queues for many tourist attactions, I couldnt believe it, it was like July there so I can only imagine how bad peak summer is.

A mate who is a tour bus driver across Europe every summer was telling me about a spot in Santorini in Greece where just everyone has to have their photo taken. He said in peak summer there is a half an hour long queue just to get that snap for Instagram, its crazy sh1t. He's just there rolling his eyes at it all, he even left two of his passengers behind because they didnt get back to the bus on time over that dam photograph and they had a ferry to catch.

Was saying to another mate who I backpacked with quite a lot that we were very lucky to see the world in what was a golden age of travel. Back then there was no such thing as eastern European, Russian, Chinese or Indian tourists so attractions were easy to get to and get around. Now its like tourism as an industry has doubled or even tripled globally in the last decade and everywhere you go is packed. Theres some countries Id like to go back to but am reluctant to as I know they'll have been ruined from how I first saw them.

There are still loads of unexplored places. I normally go to the tourist office and ask for info.
    Wherever they suggest i generally avoid and go native.
    To do this own transport necessary.
    The reliance of tourist money is absolutely incredible everywhere.
    Airlines, hotels. restaurants, pubs, taxi just to mention a few.
    I think tourist economy must be up there in % terms.
    Its really frightening how it will effect people for a year or so.

ZX7R wrote: »
    It won't work out that way, very simple economics to reboot everything even air lines ,is to get people to spend, after this crisis every country in the world is going to be looking for people to spend money they won't care what country you come from as long as you spend spend spend.
    I'd expect to see tax breaks giving to airlines to promote cheap flights

You are right. It is not how it should be, but yeah the attitude will be get the effing world economy back going come what may!

I’ve just read a stat saying two thirds of Bali’s GDP depends on Tourism. The likes of Bali and many more countries will not survive a year of closed borders

At some stage certain countries will have to decide what is a bigger threat to their economy; Covid or zero tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You are right. It is not how it should be, but yeah the attitude will be get the effing world economy back going come what may!
    The effing economy as you call it is what gives many people purpose in life. In the UK up to 20% of smaller companies may not come out of this. That's a lot of unemployed people. Travel will restart quickly enough IMO and tourism too. What else are countries who depend on it to do?

Yeah Bali, Lombok and the Gili Islands will be in a lot of trouble. I was there just a week after the Bali bomb back in 2002 and the place was completely empty, you could stay in a 4 star hotel for under 8 euro at the time. They depend hugely on tourism from Australia which is on a partial lockdown at the moment.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah Bali, Lombok and the Gili Islands will be in a lot of trouble. I was there just a week after the Bali bomb back in 2002 and the place was completely empty, you could stay in a 4 star hotel for under 8 euro at the time. They depend hugely on tourism from Australia which is on a partial lockdown at the moment.

I forgot how much they depend on Australia for tourism and money. Bali to an Aussie is like Spain to an Irish person; a very convenient holiday

yeah Bali is basically their Spain and Fiji their Canary Islands. You can get pretty cheap package holiday deals from Australia to both of them, especially cheap given the flying distances are huge.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    The effing economy as you call it is what gives many people purpose in life. In the UK up to 20% of smaller companies may not come out of this. That's a lot of unemployed people. Travel will restart quickly enough IMO and tourism too. What else are countries who depend on it to do?

I was paraphrasing politicians by calling it the effing economy.

Advertisement