Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In your opinion, what does the future of Travel look like?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The Americans are easily spooked? What kind of nonsense is this?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-stay-at-home-orders-protests-economy

Once the restrictions are lifted travel will resume as normal. As soon as countries numbers drops and can be contained by hospitals travel will resume as normal. To be talking years is just scaremongering, it will take months. Americans are still travelling across the USA like nothing has happened and out of the country.

Again you missed the point. If you think Americans will travel to Europe or Ireland in 2020 or 2021 in the same numbers as they did in 2019, then you are very deluded. It's basic economics. By spooked, I alluded to their confidence levels both economically and in terms of their historic periods of isolationism brought on by an acute sense of vulnerability (Cold War, Sept 11, 2008 Recession etc).
    Americans are still travelling across the USA like nothing has happened and out of the country

If you say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

America will be lucky if they are able to travel anywhere by the end of the year. It is the new hotbed of Covid19 so they will be going nowhere any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

Again you missed the point. If you think Americans will travel to Europe or Ireland in 2020 or 2021 in the same numbers as they did in 2019, then you are very deluded. It's basic economics. By spooked, I alluded to their confidence levels both economically and in terms of their historic periods of isolationism brought on by an acute sense of vulnerability (Cold War, Sept 11, 2008 Recession etc).

If you say so.

If I say so? You do realize the population of the united states is 330 million right?I live in the States so no exactly what is going on. Have a look at flghtraders website. See below which i just snipped now. You have absolutely no clue about the States whatsoever. The wealthy will continue to travel. There is huge line between poverty and wealth in the states. People with money will continue to travel. Obviously it won't be the same number as this year but I wouldnt even see a 20% reduction.

p09dJ5T

Heres a nice article to read to give ye some perspective and below is flightradar right now instead of scaremongering.
    https://www.talktomira.com/post/when-will-coronavirus-peak-and-end-social-distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

If you say so.

Americans will fly wherever they are allowed to go. They will get on cruise ships as soon as they can. I think bigger challenge will be when they will be allowed into places like UK Italy Spain Germany japan Ireland which are all top 10 destinations after Mexico and Canada.
    I think it will be H2 2022 before we see passenger numbers approaching 2019 levels..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

have you ever travelled with lufthansa to frankfurt? guaranteed to 'get a minibus half way out the tarmac'

To munich its all civilised human tunnels. Are all the frankfurt flights the shabby bus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Correct. The Americans are easily 'spooked' and will not travel to Europe for some time relative to 2019 numbers. It could take years to return to peak levels. The Italians, French, British, Spanish and Germans will be picking up the pieces for the rest of the year and will see a dramatic decline in travel abroad for some time. All airlines and routes will struggle in addition to other sectors (hotel, restaurants, car hire etc). Business travel is also shot and companies will be reluctant to spend scarce money on business travel when this is over.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/2020/04/how-coronavirus-is-impacting-the-travel-industry/

Which was why there was a big increase in road accident fatalities there in the aftermath of the September 11th attacks that lasted something like five years. :(

If I say so? You do realize the population of the united states is 330 million right?I live in the States so no exactly what is going on. Have a look at flghtraders website. See below which i just snipped now. You have absolutely no clue about the States whatsoever. The wealthy will continue to travel. There is huge line between poverty and wealth in the states. People with money will continue to travel. Obviously it won't be the same number as this year but I wouldnt even see a 20% reduction.

p09dJ5T

Heres a nice article to read to give ye some perspective and below is flightradar right now instead of scaremongering.
    https://www.talktomira.com/post/when-will-coronavirus-peak-and-end-social-distancing

You really are all over the place.

Let's keep it simple.

Q1. Do you think there will be as many American tourists travelling abroad in H2 2020 as there was in H2 2019?
    Q2. Do you think there will be as many American tourists travelling abroad in H1 2021 as there was in H1 2019?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-pandemic-has-set-the-number-of-air-travellers-back-decades-11970825
    The number of people travelling through US airports this week has fallen to levels not seen since the 1950s, due to the coronavirus lockdown restrictions.

A total of 97,130 people passed through security checkpoints in US airports on Tuesday, according to figures released by the Transportation Security Administration.

This represents a fall of 95% on a year ago, with people deciding not to travel while the coronavirus pandemic takes hold in the country.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-stay-at-home-orders-protests-economy

Americans are still travelling across the USA like nothing has happened and out of the country.

Really?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-pandemic-has-set-the-number-of-air-travellers-back-decades-11970825
    The number of people travelling through US airports this week has fallen to levels not seen since the 1950s, due to the coronavirus lockdown restrictions.

A total of 97,130 people passed through security checkpoints in US airports on Tuesday, according to figures released by the Transportation Security Administration.

This represents a fall of 95% on a year ago, with people deciding not to travel while the coronavirus pandemic takes hold in the country.

The last time the country averaged 97,000 passengers was 1954 and that number has risen every year since.

No thanks I'll travel where I want and when I want. Nothing better than taking a Friday and Monday off work for a get away in Europe.
    Do this multiple times a year along with a nice two week Sun holiday in the Summer. Restrict my travel and I'd leave Ireland.
    If I say so? You do realize the population of the united states is 330 million right?I live in the States so no exactly what is going on.

Fair play, moving to the states from Ireland since 02:56am this morning.

I think Maureen has left the building and with good cause.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Ha ha, wtf?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

To munich its all civilised human tunnels. Are all the frankfurt flights the shabby bus

yep, unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yep, unfortunately!

well thats off my list. Paying for a plane , not a f*cking bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id say half the problem with travel opening back up proper is going to be the travel insurance issue. I just cant see any insurance policy covering you getting hospitalised because you caught a virus that everyone knows is about.

Who is going to take a risk travelling to somewhere like Florida where a two week stay in hospital could end up costing you $50,000? If you cant get insurance cover for it then it is a huge risk, if you can get cover for it then the policy is going to cost you an arm and a leg anyway. Insurance companies are not going to risk going bust off the back of foreign hospital charges that can quickly run into huge sums just for one patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Id say half the problem with travel opening back up proper is going to be the travel insurance issue.

Agreed

Travel Insurance companies won't offer to insure against Covid, or if they do it'll be a a huge add on premium

Two of the biggest long term travel insurers refused to cover Covid cases after March 16th, even if the policy holder took it out before then

Whenever travel opens back up again it'll be at our own risk against Covid, or at an add on premium that it'll make the holiday or travel simply not worth it.

As mentioned, this will make travel to the USA and Canada extremely difficult or risky for a long time as normally (even before Covid) getting cover for these two countries was always an extra on a travel insurance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i see that ryanair has open flights to canaries for mid May, given that most economics revolve around tourism there cant see how such places would fare with any long term closures, as surely 100s people flying each day will pose risk for long time :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I think no matter what happens we're adding an hour to check-in durations. So for International it could be 4 hours before departure time

More time for pints and a burger :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There’s been far too much cheap recreational travel anyway. It’s interesting when we stopped jamming the skies with planes the air pollution had plummeted.

There should be a massive tax on flights after this, €100 a ticket would Be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

_Brian wrote: »
    There’s been far too much cheap recreational travel anyway. It’s interesting when we stopped jamming the skies with planes the air pollution had plummeted.

There should be a massive tax on flights after this, €100 a ticket would Be a good start.

Ridiculous. How many jobs would that cost in the long run? You do realise that aviation only accounts for 2% of "pollution" .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Holidays will become more local for a while, and maybe thats a good thing.

Allready looking to rail it up to Norway in 2021, will be an adventure at least.

• Advertisement

Amazing news for those of us passionate about Travel. I hope this is emulated by every major airline

Emirates Airline Begins Conducting Rapid COVID-19 Tests For Boarding Passengers

"In a move that could be a step toward making air travel palatable to the public again, Emirates Airline has begun conducing rapid-on site COVID-19 for passengers.

The testing began with passengers on a flight from Dubai to Tunisia on Wednesday. The analysis is a blood test with results within 10 minutes. The airline says it is the first to roll out rapid testing"

I don't think we're allowed paste full articles? It's all worth a read though

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/15/834999076/emirates-airlines-begins-conducting-rapid-covid-19-tests-for-boarding-passengers

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-becomes-first-airline-to-conduct-on-site-rapid-covid-19-tests-for-passengers/

This has been discussed as a future hope for some of us in Facebook travel groups and this is a major step

For me, the question remains though; what happens if you test positive at an airport test? What happens the money you spent in advance on a flight and accommodation?

Will you get refunds for both? Will new consumer legislation come in to protect you if you test positive at an airport test? Or, will you have to book at your own risk and risk losing hundreds or maybe thousands or euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Id imagine you take that risk when you buy a ticket, it is a good step though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How is an airline capable of 10 minute tests but no country in the world is? Seems unlikely

AdamD wrote: »
    How is an airline capable of 10 minute tests but no country in the world is? Seems unlikely

Because they don't fúck about in the UAE (let's not get into their Human Rights issues etc, its a different thread)

See how full and competent Dubai's lockdown has been for example. It's a proper, proper lockdown

Whereas Ireland and many others have a "lockdown"

If you click into the articles you'll see pictures of the airport tests. Here's one;

800_dsc-7030.jpg?10000

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Re Emirates, I thought it was a swab test for the virus whereas blood test for antibody. I’m dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Because they don't fúck about in the UAE (let's not get into their Human Rights issues etc, its a different thread)

See how full and competent Dubai's lockdown has been for example. It's a proper, proper lockdown

Whereas Ireland and many others have a "lockdown"

If you click into the articles you'll see pictures of the airport tests. Here's one;

This doesn't answer the question at all. Do you seriously believe Emirates has a 10 minute test but the richest countries in the world don't?

AdamD wrote: »
    This doesn't answer the question at all. Do you seriously believe Emirates has a 10 minute test but the richest countries in the world don't?

I'm just passing on what many credible sites are reporting and there's pictures to back it up

Maybe the countries can do the 10 minute tests, but only on a small scale. Like Emirates did this week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ridiculous. How many jobs would that cost in the long run? You do realise that aviation only accounts for 2% of "pollution" .

This "pollution" is significant because as little as between 5 and 10 percent of the global population fly in a given year.

Excellent, get a test before a flight and get Covid19 there! Flawless plan.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »

Facepalm-statue.jpg

Advertisement