Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The cost of the post Corona pint

• 28-03-2020 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

When things do get back on their feet, how do you see the cost of entertainment etc going?

Do we face the possibility of bars, takeaways, cinemas, clothing retailers trying to chase the cost of having been out of business for so long, adding an extra 20 cent here and 50 there? Or like in the recession will we see a scaling back of prices, more deals, more pubs offering cheaper beers like Tuborg and Fosters to tempt the punters back in? (the amount of pubs offering these in the middle of Dublin seemed to decline when things went back to normal). A suburban Dublin pint of mainstream beer is around the 5.40 mark, probably a good euro more expensive than 10 years ago. A town one is now 6 and above. Do you see them increasing, staying, declining?

What does this all have in store for the expansion of Wetherspoons? Thriving in a damaged economy or irrevocably shaken in its new Irish investments? (for all the talk of people boycotting them, I remind you of how we were all meant to boycott Irish Ferries when they replaced their staff with foreign slave labour, or how we all swore we would never fly Ryanair after they cancelled all those flights in 2017. These things quickly fade from the public memory)

Certainly I'd imagine a lot of clothing retailers have winter stock that would have cheap enough now in normal circumstances but will be badly in need of shifting come late April or whenever we return to normality.

What says you?

Comments

I don't see a whole heap of change. Anyone that tries to up their prices will be shamed for doing so, and anyone then with a keen eye for business will promote themselves as not being a gouger.

That said, I really do think people are underestimating how the badly hit industries are gonna get on. People are gonna be crying for a night out, or a holiday, or a meal... the places hardest hit (pubs, flights, hotels etc) will (in my opinion of course) bounce back in rapid time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

I don't see a whole heap of change. Anyone that tries to up their prices will be shamed for doing so, and anyone then with a keen eye for business will promote themselves as not being a gouger.

To be far Dublin publicans never cared much before about publicly gouging. Are they above a 50 cent rise in the cost of a pint?

June, or July, or feckin November for all we know, whatever month it is will be like four bank holiday weekends in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I honestly feel that half the pubs in the country wont reopen.
    Some of the publicand in my town (athlone) are close to retirement anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I honestly feel that half the pubs in the country wont reopen.
    Some of the publicand in my town (athlone) are close to retirement anyway.

A lot of pubs closed after the 2008 crash. I don't know much about the trade but I'd say that their margins are quite tight as in they live week to week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This event is a massive shock to people. If anything more pubs will struggle in the aftermath as more people prioritise their health. They will have no option but to lower prices to attract punters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    This event is a massive shock to people. If anything more pubs will struggle in the aftermath as more people prioritise their health. They will have no option but to lower prices to attract punters.
    i can see people prioritizing health after this. i can see an improved sense of civic mindedness and community spirit. i can see a return of the lower VAT rate for the hospitality trade. but i can't see the vintners cartel knocking much off the price of a pint.

20 or 50 cent increases?

:D

Sure they don't mind putting up the price after 10pm, never mind in July.

I expect 2 Euro increases on everything from tap water to salted peanuts and the pricelist for booze to look like something from Iceland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There are also plenty of people who will have realised that there are more things that you can do with your spare time that get pissed in a pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

....... about 5,000,000 Punts I'd say ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

That said, I really do think people are underestimating how the badly hit industries are gonna get on. People are gonna be crying for a night out, or a holiday, or a meal... the places hardest hit (pubs, flights, hotels etc) will (in my opinion of course) bounce back in rapid time.

Where exactly do you think the tourists will come from?
    The economies of US, UK and China will be in tatters after this.
    We wont see 2019 tourist numbers for a very long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

It's going to be supply and demand like everything else of course, there will be very little tourism after this and a lot of people will be unemployed. Also I predict some people that live week to week and are financially exposed will start saving after this so they're never exposed like this again. And social distancing will stay, crammed pubs may be a thing of the past, all of which will mean pubs won't all reopen and demand for alcohol will drop. I look forward to a few beers with my mates whenever we can as we all meet up at least once a week normally but I don't see the pub trade being the same again.

Serious consideration has to be given to when and how to reopen, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Bang 50c on the price of your regular pint. The pubs will say they have to recoup lost trade

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Spare a thought for the people who have to drink the first pints out of the rusty grimy lines and taps.

The real hero’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I can see the govt dropping the vat rate back to 9.5% again to help get businesses back on their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭RobTheLad

People drinking at home at the moment who would normally be pub goers are probably realising the extra money in their pocket. I think it will be hard to justify going back to the pubs when they do re-open, maybe initially for the novelty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Weekends away in hotels will be going for a song.
    Labour will be cheap.
    Flights will be cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The government with drop the tax rate on hotels and bar back to what it was before was it 8%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Once restrictions are lifted I’m thinking there will be a rush to the travel agents before pubs.

People will value more getting away somewhere with a nice beach as opposed to throwing hard saved cash at publicans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

How much is a whiskey in Temple Bar pub? €8.50 - €9?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

YFlyer wrote: »
    How much is a whiskey in Temple Bar pub? €8.50 - €9?

Been a few years but I’m looking at a particular pub which might be named after said area. Extensive drinks menu with NO prices listed beside any drink, short or pint , bottles or cocktail, nada...food menu, has prices... E 13.25 for a toasty, no mention of coming with chips even.... fûck that. Temple Far from my wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Bowlardo wrote: »
    The government with drop the tax rate on hotels and bar back to what it was before was it 8%?

The 9% special low rate of VAT did not apply to drink.

Only food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Over the next 6 months punters will have adapted to spending €20 on booze for the night and being merrily on their way upstairs to their bed. Only being able to buy 3 drinks at current Dublin prices will be out the window. Publicans will need to drop prices to encourage people back, especially if they offer an inferior product with toilets not fit to wash animals in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Spare a thought for the people who have to drink the first pints out of the rusty grimy lines and taps.

The real hero’s.

All out of date kegs will be replaced and lines will be cleaned before they reopen.

Advertisement