Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispute regarding deposit

Options
  • 28-03-2020 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭

My ex landlord has identified some damage to upholstered furniture in the house which I accept there is. However I have an issue with what he claims it will cost to repair. I have done some research online and I believe it will cost half what he says it will.
    How do I proceed? Do I agree and ask to see a receipt or do I say I researched it and what I found?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

I’m a landlord and any time i have withheld part of a deposit, for carpet cleaning, over cleaning, general cleaning etc, i send the tenant a copy of the receipt. You should definitely get a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ok will push for that. Have luckily never had an issue before so not sure what the process is

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Depending how long you were living in the property, you could have a case to claim the damage is general 'Wear and Tear' and request the full deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

You did research online. What you need is an actual quote . With that then you can argue all you want.

At what point do I escalate to the PRTB?

• Advertisement

He has come back to. me and said the amount he quoted for painting did not include the cost of the paint and he wants and extra €50 for that.

Do I just go straight to the PRTB or whats the best course of action?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Gael23 wrote: »
    He has come back to. me and said the amount he quoted for painting did not include the cost of the paint and he wants and extra €50 for that.

Do I just go straight to the PRTB or whats the best course of action?

Painting the furniture?

Op, is the upholstery damaged? Is it wear and tear, or is it broken/ripped due to something you have done? If you damaged it, then if he can produce a receipt, I’m not sure what you are disputing in the RTB. You don’t get to choose who repairs the damage.

If the paint is for the walls, are we talking about small marks, or are we talking about kids doing their art homework on the walls or stains due to you not opening windows?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Painting the furniture?

Op, is the upholstery damaged? Is it wear and tear, or is it broken/ripped due to something you have done? If you damaged it, then if he can produce a receipt, I’m not sure what you are disputing in the RTB. You don’t get to choose who repairs the damage.

If the paint is for the walls, are we talking about small marks, or are we talking about kids doing their art homework on the walls or stains due to you not opening windows?
    There is a stain on the mattress, unsure what caused it.
    There is no children in the house and I had no posters or anything on the walls. It can’t be more then surface dirt or me touching the wall width my fingers and leaving marks. Have contacted Treshold, they say without photos it’s going to be hard to prove a case to the RTB

I should have been clearer, there are 2 different issues here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Gael23 wrote: »
    There is a stain on the mattress, unsure what caused it.
    There is no children in the house and I had no posters or anything on the walls. It can’t be more then surface dirt or me touching the wall width my fingers and leaving marks. Have contacted Treshold, they say without photos it’s going to be hard to prove a case to the RTB

I should have been clearer, there are 2 different issues here.

A stain on the mattress? That is not really what I would associate with upholstery, but I may be wrong. Op, a stain on the mattress isn’t wear & tear, either you spilled something on it or soiled it. Either way, that is not wear & tear.

A stain on the mattress? That is not really what I would associate with upholstery, but I may be wrong. Op, a stain on the mattress isn’t wear & tear, either you spilled something on it or spoiled it. Either way, that is not wear & tear.

I get that,my issue is the cleaning cost and particularly the cost of painting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It is occasionally necessary to remind landlords that deductions cannot be made for normal wear & tear or for work they have undertaken themselves.

Have you had a conversation with your landlord to tell them you're not happy with the proposed deductions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

A stain on the mattress? That is not really what I would associate with upholstery, but I may be wrong. Op, a stain on the mattress isn’t wear & tear, either you spilled something on it or soiled it. Either way, that is not wear & tear.

Would mattresses not normally be replaced between tenancies anyway?

Graham wrote: »
    It is occasionally necessary to remind landlords that deductions cannot be made for normal wear & tear or for work they have undertaken themselves.

Have you had a conversation with your landlord to tell them you're not happy with the proposed deductions?
    cruizer101 wrote: »
    I was only there for 6 months and it was fairly new at the time. I think €150 to repaint a room is excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

cruizer101 wrote: »

Like a hotel you mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

id love it if i could get people to paint my house for €150 a room with paint included! Seems reasonable to me?

https://lally.ie/painting-and-decorating-news/2019/5/8/hows-much-does-it-cost-to-paint-a-room

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Which would suggest the landlord is planning a DIY paint job which they can't charge for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭MacDanger

First thing is to request a receipt for any work carried out

Advertisement