Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Powerline dual band wifi extender upstairs

• 28-03-2020 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭

Hi

I currently have a pair of tp link powerline plugins downstairs, one connected to the router and the other then plugged into the far side of the room for the tv etc. See pic attached.

I am now looking for a powerline extender upstairs that will use the wiring to extend both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals upstairs.
    I want them to be all on the same connection, not switching from one to the other when I go up or downstairs.

Can you recommend one on Amazon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Here is a pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Yes & work very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I want them to be all on the same connection, not switching from one to the other when I go up or downstairs.

Can you recommend one on Amazon?
    You are following wrong route, I am afraid.
    I rather create Mesh network at the start ,than do this nonsense.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=mesh+network&sprefix=mesh+&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_5

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sorry to piggyback on this thread but I have the exact same question except I've already bought the extender and can't get it to work.

I currently have the following setup, which works pretty well, at least in the lower half of the house.

Two TL-PA7010P PLC plugs, one with the fibre modem connected and the other with the router connected in an adjacent room. https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B071CMFKG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one PC connected to the router with an ethernet cable and other devices connected via WiFi.

The WiFi range is poor and so I wanted to extend the range of it and provide an ethernet connection to one of the bedrooms. I bought a TP-Link TL-WPA4220 PLV 600 Mbps thinking I could kill two birds with one stone

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00DUCXEA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plugged it in and paired it with one of the existing plugs (the one connected to the fibre modem) and the network LED goes green on the new device, however it goes red on the existing devices and there is no internet available from the new plug either via ethernet or its SSID.

I don't know if I've purchased the wrong item (in which case if someone can suggest an alternative I'd be grateful), configured it wrong somehow or if it's a defective device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Lads I ditched all my extenders etc. and got Mesh wifi .... steady full speeds all over the house

2 of these cover my house

What makes the mesh system better?
    All I see is 3 standalone units in the link.
    Are they plugged into power and are they using the electrical wiring system?

I bought a powerline wifi plug in and put it upstairs. It created 2 new 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals and they both seemed strong.

However I wanted just 1 2.4ghz signal and 1 5ghz signal throughout the house rather than 4 separate ones, so I pressed the wps button on the modem and then the wifi clone button on the plug in upstairs. It successfully created 2 single signals but the 5ghz was non-existent upstairs.

I suggest to google it,
    in few words , it is creates single WI-FI network across the house , 2 or 3 or 4 units create mesh , similar to cell network , when you moving from one room to another with your phone/tablet you won’t notice any change of WI-FI network , it is call WIFI roaming , automatically connects you to the unit with the strongest signal.

What you have is totally different, you can’t connect to 2nd unit without loosing connection to the 1st.

I own ORBI RBK53 Mesh system , got 300 mbits ( 250-275 to be specific ) almost in every corner of the 3 bedroom bungalow.
    All 3 units connected to each other through WiFi backhaul .

With the powerlines you can also have a single network. That is what the wifi clone button is for. It copies the user id and password of the router/modem and creates a single network signal.

How could individual mess devices be better than that when the signal is not going over wire. Curious to the tech behind them. They do seem to be well rated.

Googled it - pluses and minuses for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

With the powerlines you can also have a single network. That is what the wifi clone button is for. It copies the user id and password of the router/modem and creates a single network signal.

How could individual mess devices be better than that when the signal is not going over wire. Curious to the tech behind them. They do seem to be well rated.

Googled it - pluses and minuses for both.

Multiple independent access points with cloned SSID’s and password may appear to function similar to mesh but clients will often hang onto whatever ap they are currently attached to even when another ap has a better signal.

A proper mesh network with supported client devices (most from the last few years) will steer clients to the optimal access point and band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

All I see is 3 standalone units in the link.
    Are they plugged into power and are they using the electrical wiring system?

I bought a powerline wifi plug in and put it upstairs. It created 2 new 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals and they both seemed strong.

However I wanted just 1 2.4ghz signal and 1 5ghz signal throughout the house rather than 4 separate ones, so I pressed the wps button on the modem and then the wifi clone button on the plug in upstairs. It successfully created 2 single signals but the 5ghz was non-existent upstairs.

Go Mesh.

Most mesh systems use 5Ghz bandwidth to connect the APs to one another and back to the router. This reduces the bandwidth available to users. (Although probably still plenty for most users). Most mesh systems also offer the option of interconnection on Ethernet cable, if you have it.
    This is the best solution as it has all the advantages of mesh, but guaranteed bandwidth between APs and full WiFi bandwidth. Some mesh systems even offer powerline interconnection (eg Deco P9). However, poweline can be problematic, especially in big houses, or houses with new extension wings connected on different power busbars. Some mesh systems also offer POE (power over ethernet), meaning no need for power socket near APs, and no flying power cables. Power is carried on the Cat5/6 ethernet wiring - eg Ubiquiti Unifi.

With the powerlines you can also have a single network. That is what the wifi clone button is for.
    1 it is not the same network, just a clone.
    2 powerline bad idea in general for the backhaul ( very slow, creates lots of RF noise ), wifi or ethernet backhaul are much more reliable , faster and environment friendly.
    Still, some of Mesh systems may use powerline :
    TP DECO P7
    Devolo magic WiFi etc

Go Mesh.

Most mesh systems use 5Ghz bandwidth to connect the APs to one another and back to the router. This reduces the bandwidth available to users. (Although probably still plenty for most users).
    Good few systems with independent WI -Fi backhaul
    ( 2x 5Ghz networks, one for user , second for backhaul) but it is more expensive alright.

alec76 wrote: »
    Good few systems with independent WI -Fi backhaul
    ( 2 5Ghz networks, one 4 user , second for backhaul) but it is more expensive alright.

Well worth the money. If you buy standalone homeplugs, you will regret it later, and end up buying Mesh in the future. Just shell out the extra now, and do it properly from day 1. Mesh systems are much more affordable than they were a year or two ago - probably half the price on average. As another poster pointed out, most mobile WiFi clients won't switch to the strongest AP, if you go with standalone homeplugs. This is incredibly frustrating, especially for the less technically competent members in a household. The more technically competent might remember to manually switch when moving between rooms, the others just complain about poor WiFi. Going mesh means everyone gets perfect signal without having to do anything. It's really nice for services such as WiFi calling (full service only available from eir-Mobile), where you can create perfect seamless indoor mobile coverage in an A-Rated home with poor indoor mobile signal due to insulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Powerline is completely hit or miss, electrical cables are not designed for carrying data. They can work one day and be completely broken the next depending on what electrical devices you add to your house. Even using the second socket on a double socket where one is used is not recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Lads I ditched all my extenders etc. and got Mesh wifi .... steady full speeds all over the house

2 of these cover my house

I’ve ordered a similar kit to you, except I went for the M4 kit with has gigabit ports. How long have you had it? Are you still happy with it? Can I ask who your provider is? We’ve got 1Gb fibre with Sky but are in trouble shooting mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

For someone who is non techy can you explain what is involved in setting up this system?
    Does one of the 3 connect physically to the router and the other two are placed near the wi-fi blackspots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

john9876 wrote: »
    For someone who is non techy can you explain what is involved in setting up this system?
    Does one of the 3 connect physically to the router and the other two are placed near the wi-fi blackspots?

You spread them out to give better coverage. There's no point placing the satellites in an area where it can't get any signal from the main one.

I’ve ordered a similar kit to you, except I went for the M4 kit with has gigabit ports. How long have you had it? Are you still happy with it? Can I ask who your provider is? We’ve got 1Gb fibre with Sky but are in trouble shooting mode.

It was the M4s that I got as well ... Had it a couple of months now and yep works fantastically well.

Have used then with Vodafone and now with Sky (regular Fibre).

Perfect for switching providers ... just plug in and turn off wifi on the relevant modem

It's really nice for services such as WiFi calling (full service only available from eir-Mobile), where you can create perfect seamless indoor mobile coverage in an A-Rated home with poor indoor mobile signal due to insulation.

Ah this is one problem that I had hoped Mesh would sort for me ... but it hasn't.

Wifi calling (Eir on an iphone) still fails for me at home. I get Call Failure after a minute on the calls pretty randomly

Very frustrating as my mobile signal is poor where I live

• Advertisement

It was the M4s that I got as well ... Had it a couple of months now and yep works fantastically well.

Have used then with Vodafone and now with Sky (regular Fibre).

Perfect for switching providers ... just plug in and turn off wifi on the relevant modem

Thanks very much

They arrived this morning, got them set up but Sky Hub keeps turning the WiFi back On (not sure how, I’ve turned it off in 192.168.0.1 three times). Wonder if it’s to do with the Skybox and multiroom set up. WiFi on the TPLink is great, but the biggest transformation has been changing to a new Cat6 cable between the fibre entry point and the Sky Hub - Previously on wired connections we struggled to get more than 70mb or 80mb, but now Himself is getting 600mb wired so has swiftly fallen in love with Xbox again after almost a year of frustration.

Do you need to keep Sky modem at all?
    Couldn’t you just connect TP LINK direct to ONT (fibre entry)
    You obviously need to tag VLAN10 ,
    recover user and pass for PPPOE connection from Sky modem.

Thanks very much

They arrived this morning, got them set up but Sky Hub keeps turning the WiFi back On (not sure how, I’ve turned it off in 192.168.0.1 three times). Wonder if it’s to do with the Skybox and multiroom set up. WiFi on the TPLink is great, but the biggest transformation has been changing to a new Cat6 cable between the fibre entry point and the Sky Hub - Previously on wired connections we struggled to get more than 70mb or 80mb, but now Himself is getting 600mb wired so has swiftly fallen in love with Xbox again after almost a year of frustration.

The Sky Hub has 2 WiFi networks ... make sure both are off
    Also other boxes could be still acting as WAPs?
    My Sky Q box was and I had to disable WiFi in the hidden menu

I’ll google the steps and give it a go because I’d like less cables in the kitchen. We’ve usually got everything nicely boxed away, but will need to open the casing up to incorporate the new TP link mother base.

I figured out the issue with the Sky Hub in the meantime. Stupidly switched off the 2.4ghz but left the 5ghz on. now closed that too, and now the Disney and Netflix apps seem to be moving quicker.

I’m stupidly delighted with the WiFi -
    PING 7ms
    JITTER 3ms
    DOWNLOAD 171.7Mbps
    UPLOAD 127.6Mbps
    (That’s on an iPad 5th gen and I’m getting similar on iPhone 6s.

I’m considering getting another single unit. We’ve placed one in the kitchen, one in the living room and one in the main bedroom. The WiFi in the box room (used as an office) is still only delivering 80ish up and down to the ASUS vivo book. We don’t have a massive home (107sqm duplex) but lots of concrete walls. Hoping the work VPN and zoom calls tomorrow will be more stable.

The Sky Hub has 2 WiFi networks ... make sure both are off
    Also other boxes could be still acting as WAPs?
    My Sky Q box was and I had to disable WiFi in the hidden menu

:D you read my mind. I’d be worried but I’ve demonstrated through my stupidity there’s not much worth reading

I’m considering getting another single unit.
    I wouldn’t. Adding another unit will decrease wi fi speeds even further.
    As I mentioned before , it is only basic entry system, it shares same WiFi network for links( backhaul) between units and devices itself . If you add another unit , it will create extra wi-fi link and you get less bandwidth for devices.
    You could place units in different locations though, that could improve you speed dramatically.

Ah this is one problem that I had hoped Mesh would sort for me ... but it hasn't.

Wifi calling (Eir on an iphone) still fails for me at home. I get Call Failure after a minute on the calls pretty randomly

Very frustrating as my mobile signal is poor where I live
    That's strange. I find WiFi calling on Eir absolutely rock solid. I'm using Ubiquiti Unifi mesh with Ethernet backhaul. Samsung phones. Have you tried any other phones? Maybe you could try forcing the phone onto either 2.4GHz or 5GHz, to see if the problem relates to congestion on your Wifi?

That's strange. I find WiFi calling on Eir absolutely rock solid. I'm using Ubiquiti Unifi mesh with Ethernet backhaul. Samsung phones. Have you tried any other phones? Maybe you could try forcing the phone onto either 2.4GHz or 5GHz, to see if the problem relates to congestion on your Wifi?

Ah mine is iPhone ... Eir never quite full implemented the feature ...
    In theory you should be able to walk outside and hit cellular when you leave wifi without dropping the call

Apple have tried lots of stuff ... can't get through to anybody technical in Eir of course.

I have uncloned my wifi plugin extender so I now have a separate 5ghz signal upstairs.
    How do I login to this signal. It won't login using my existing router password.

• Advertisement
Advertisement