Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if i don't give landlord notice and leave them with the deposit?

Options
  • 28-03-2020 5:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my husband are planning on purchasing property within the next 12-18 months. We are currently renting but plan to move back into our parents shortly in order to ramp up savings more so we can purchase (hopefully cash) given the impending property crash.

Originally we planned to wait until the lease expires and then move back in with the ou pair but in addition to the crash our LL is honestly a nasty piece of work and we no longer want to fund his lifestyle. Here are the reasons:

* We have caught him at our mailbox on two occasions.

* Just last week in the middle of a pandemic he emailed us ( with no wishes of well being during this crisis ) querying why there was a set of goalposts (kid sized) in the front garden, albeit the garden is very small but we have been rearranging equipment due to the kids being home 24/7 so they can play and exercise.

* The appliances are at least 20 years old and he will not replace as they still " function ". For example, there is rust throughout the inside of the Microwave, the fridge is always leaking.

* The back garden can easily be seen by neighbors and passers by, he has text us on several occasions querying why certain items are in the garden etc.

* My husband moved company for a better opportunity and the companies pay day was 2 days after our rental standing order. We asked could the standing order be shifted to this date and he said sure but demanded 350euro for ( additional accommodation stay for the extra days) in spite of us paying less than that for a weeks rent !

* The place is mould infested

Rant over, sorry.

We really don't want to keep funding his lifestyle and want to get out ASAP. We have paid rent this month but say if we desire to leave the end of next month could we just cancel the standing order and leave on the day the rent is due and inform he we had to leave and let him have the deposit ?

Apologies for the rant, i really needed to get that off my chest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

If you have any way of confirming mailbox incident i think it "game over"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Hi,

Myself and my husband are planning on purchasing property within the next 12-18 months. We are currently renting but plan to move back into our parents shortly in order to ramp up savings more so we can purchase (hopefully cash) given the impending property crash.

Originally we planned to wait until the lease expires and then move back in with the ou pair but in addition to the crash our LL is honestly a nasty piece of work and we no longer want to fund his lifestyle. Here are the reasons:

* We have caught him at our mailbox on two occasions.

* Just last week in the middle of a pandemic he emailed us ( with no wishes of well being during this crisis ) querying why there was a set of goalposts (kid sized) in the front garden, albeit the garden is very small but we have been rearranging equipment due to the kids being home 24/7 so they can play and exercise.

* The appliances are at least 20 years old and he will not replace as they still " function ". For example, there is rust throughout the inside of the Microwave, the fridge is always leaking.

* The back garden can easily be seen by neighbors and passers by, he has text us on several occasions querying why certain items are in the garden etc.

* My husband moved company for a better opportunity and the companies pay day was 2 days after our rental standing order. We asked could the standing order be shifted to this date and he said sure but demanded 350euro for ( additional accommodation stay for the extra days) in spite of us paying less than that for a weeks rent !

* The place is mould infested

Rant over, sorry.

We really don't want to keep funding his lifestyle and want to get out ASAP. We have paid rent this month but say if we desire to leave the end of next month could we just cancel the standing order and leave on the day the rent is due and inform he we had to leave and let him have the deposit ?

Apologies for the rant, i really needed to get that off my chest

Not legally but he sounds like a prick. What about the lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Do what you want. He wont waste his time trying to pursue it. There are plenty of other suckers out there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭IndieRoar111

Edgware wrote: »
    Do what you want. He wont waste his time trying to pursue it. There are plenty of other suckers out there

What do you mean with that term? Are you implying anyone who rents is a sucker ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

These are the lowlifes that give landlords a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

What do you mean with that term? Are you implying anyone who rents is a sucker ?

I don't think many people would draw that meaning from what he wrote, unless they had a chip on their shoulder.
    It seems clear that he means the landlord is so bad that he is only capable of renting to suckers, as he treats people so bad that good tenants are unlikely to rent long term from him.

To the OP
    As a landlord, if a tenant left one of my properties, and gave me a months notice/deposit, I would have no problem with them and I would definitely not be pursuing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

With the way things are at the moment, you want to move back in with your (possibly in their 60s/70s) parents along with your young kids, soon so you can save money? At least consider waiting until this is over.

As above, though legally required to give the statutory notice, your LL may be happy enough with a month, if not, it’s off to the RTB.

By the way, rent is not a lifestyle funding, it is payment for a service.

I don't think many people would draw that meaning from what he wrote, unless they had a chip on their shoulder.
    It seems clear that he means the landlord is so bad that he is only capable of renting to suckers, as he treats people so bad that good tenants are unlikely to rent long term from him.

To the OP
    As a landlord, if a tenant left one of my properties, and gave me a months notice/deposit, I would have no problem with them and I would definitely not be pursuing them.

His post history suggests he is an obvious troll. Good to know. We will leave as soon as this virus calms down

Thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 32 brianocon77

timhenn wrote: »
    These are the lowlifes that give landlords a bad name.

My LL said he did not give address as tenants may come knocking at his door.

How do we serve written notice? Now he denies that he ever said it. Just to get through COVID 19 crisis without loosing few days rent. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

My LL said he did not give address as tenants may come knocking at his door.

How do we serve written notice? Now he denies that he ever said it. This is one of many lies by the person.

Luckily, we have an evidence that he said all that. Guy works for a RE company at senior position. Lucky for him, GDPR exists in this country so we cannot name and shame.

I would just send him the notice via email, best is to write it in Word, print it out, sign it, scan it as pdf and send via email. In the email write a note that as as he never provided you with his postal address you are unable to forward the notice via post but if he provides you with an address by replying to your email within the next 3 days then you would be happy to post the letter on to him. In your email to him state that your notice period starts counting from tomorrow e.g. 6 July 2020.

Then send him a text message via mobile saying that you have just sent him a notice of termination via email. State here the exact time you sent the email.

RTB told me when i was dealing with my LL that if the landlord refuses to forward you his house address then he is in breach right at the start and in such instance an email address that was used at least one time between yourself and your landlord is considered a valid point of contact. In other words, you sent him an email and he replied when you were moving in. If he ever claims that he changed his email address long time ago but that he never told you about it then he is again in breach. As a landlord he is obligated to provide his tenants with his mobile, email address and a postal address, unless he deals via an agent - but that's another story.

If he ever takes you to RTB complaining that he never got your notice then he will have a super hard time to prove that he ever provided you with his full contact details. You, on the other hand, will have an email and sms proving otherwise.

Good luck.

I would just send him the notice via email, best is to write it in Word, print it out, sign it, scan it as pdf and send via email. In the email write a note that as as he never provided you with his postal address you are unable to forward the notice via post but if he provides you with an address by replying to your email within the next 3 days then you would be happy to post the letter on to him. In your email to him state that your notice period starts counting from tomorrow e.g. 6 July 2020.

Then send him a text message via mobile saying that you have just sent him a notice of termination via email. State here the exact time you sent the email.

RTB told me when i was dealing with my LL that if the landlord refuses to forward you his house address then he is in breach right at the start and in such instance an email address that was used at least one time between yourself and your landlord is considered a valid point of contact. In other words, you sent him an email and he replied when you were moving in. If he ever claims that he changed his email address long time ago but that he never told you about it then he is again in breach. As a landlord he is obligated to provide his tenants with his mobile, email address and a postal address, unless he deals via an agent - but that's another story.

If he ever takes you to RTB complaining that he never got your notice then he will have a super hard time to prove that he ever provided you with his full contact details. You, on the other hand, will have an email and sms proving otherwise.

Good luck.

No email was given as well. Let him live with few thousand Euros. of deposit money - He may need it more than us :-).

In return, let him deal with RTB and Council for renting house with mould, not giving address to serve notice etc.Karma :-)

May be not - I may not file a complaint. Why should I have negative Karma. Let us see. lol Lesson a every stage my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

so why did you rent there? or get something better yawn yawn

so why did you rent there? or get something better yawn yawn

I simply quoted what he he did. Did he tell me before letting that he will not give address at the time of exiting? Use some common sense. Will ya???

If you feel what he said was fair, thumbs up. lol

I RENTED BECAUSE HE WANTED 2K as rent. I had money to dump. Any problems?

I have work to do. I am not visiting this thread again.

LL can harass and break laws. Support the law breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

No email was given as well. Let him live with few thousand Euros. of deposit money - He may need it more than us :-).

In return, let him deal with RTB and Council for renting house with mould, not giving address to serve notice etc.Karma :-)

May be not - I may not file a complaint. Why should I have negative Karma. Let us see. lol Lesson a every stage my friend.

I wouldn't leave my deposit. Not having any other way of contact just send him a text message giving him 30 days notice and offer a walk through your apt on your last day. Take lots of pics and audio/video record the last meeting. Request your deposit back on a specific day but if he refuses to return it or starts deducting money for some imaginary repairs you will open the RTB dispute. It will be a straight forward case.
    Alternatively, use your deposit as the last rent but i am not in favour of this option.
    Either way, dont give him a gift of 2K, Its your money so get it back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

As the OP has been banned and there's already a thread on the most recent topic.

Thread closed.

perfectkama / brianocon77 improve the standard of your contributions if you wish to continue to post in A & P.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement