Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a sat dish as an aerial

• 28-03-2020 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

I have a pretty good signal from an indoor aeriel, just wondering if I run coax from a spare port on the dish, will it act as an aerial for digital tv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

I have a pretty good signal from an indoor aeriel, just wondering if I run coax from a spare port on the dish, will it act as an aerial for digital tv

No, a disconnected cable would likely give a better signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A partially stripped cable outside is going to work better than a still insulated cable; and both will work better than trying to use an LNB!

If it works you are in an exceptionally strong signal area.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Hmmm this is interesting. So dangling a bit of bare wire out a window might work better than an indoor aerial? Genuinely interested in this because I'm having intermittent non-weather related problems with DTT reception in Dublin. Anyone know the ideal length?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭homer911

Hmmm this is interesting. So dangling a bit of bare wire out a window might work better than an indoor aerial? Genuinely interested in this because I'm having intermittent non-weather related problems with DTT reception in Dublin. Anyone know the ideal length?

when I asked a similar question about 5 years ago, I was advised that about 1.5m was fine, with the last 15 cm stripped back. My DTT reception is perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

L1011 wrote: »
    A partially stripped cable outside is going to work better than a still insulated cable; and both will work better than trying to use an LNB!

If it works you are in an exceptionally strong signal area.

Worked perfectly, thank you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Look at the neighbours.

IF the satellite dishes and TV aerials point the same way you might just be able to use the dish as a reflector for an antenna mounted on the LNB arm.

In other words no.

Though you may be able to use the existing dish mountings to support the TV antenna. So less drilling.

But if you knock the dish out of alignment there may be tears.

Advertisement