Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling with boredom

Options
  • 28-03-2020 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I am lucky enough to be able to work from home, but even with that I have a lot more free time than usual.

The grass has been cut, once the compost bin has been emptied I will weed and cut the hedges.

I am lucky enough to have a good lot of wood stain in the shed so I will give the fences a going over.

But, we could be in this for the long hall, I see that woodies is closed now (as it should be) but is there anywhere online that I could order some indoor paint?

Would just like to do a room at a time, so some white ceiling paint, some filler and a few tubs of colour.

Look, none of this is urgent, but it would just be nice.

Are there any other useful ways we can spend this time.

I am enjoying spending time in the garden with the kids, a silver lining to this whole situation is that (I hate this phrase) the fear of missing out is gone. All you can really do is stay home, so may as well make the best of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Any tips for stuff to do indoors to keep from boredom. I have a kettlebell so able to keep active. It’s more just stuff to go online and kill time.

What’s the modern equivalent of bored.com and chatrooms? Places to go to chat and play games?

What resources are there for free online learning? Should the government be putting courses online or subsidize paid online courses so they are free or reduced So people can upskill.

Bored.com is still there I see but some games want to be played on desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Any tips for stuff to do indoors to keep from boredom. I have a kettlebell so able to keep active. It’s more just stuff to go online and kill time.

What’s the modern equivalent of bored.com and chatrooms? Places to go to chat and play games?

What resources are there for free online learning? Should the government be putting courses online or subsidize paid online courses so they are free or reduced So people can upskill.

Is there anything there that catches your eye?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058063358/8/#post112980964

Dots1982 wrote: »

Udemy is good for online courses.
    Something like Virtual Pool 4 or Football Manager 2020 will kill hours.
    Buy a raspberry pi kit off amazon or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

YouTube is pretty handy for learning new skills or tricks.

Maybe learn a new language with Duolingo?

For free courses linkedin has a good few but it's fairly business heavy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

pop over here and play a game. you might even get addicted:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1770

I'm bored because I have no imagination. How did they cope on the Blanket Islands in the 1930s? I'm privileged to be alive in 2020 with all the resources at our disposal. Especially the internet. Things could be far worse.

One excellent resource for online learning:
    http://www.openculture.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Im a km walk away from the river down a dirt track so ill probably get my exercise by doing some fly-fishing the odd evening.

A few pike lakes nearby too, and there's a lot of Hazelwood after being cut last year so ill get some firewood.

Maybe help a local farmer feed his cattle, just a bit of voluntary farm relief for an old guy.
    Ill keep my distance obviously.

I also need to weed the driveway and my gardens in ****, ironically I'M A qualified horticulturist but my garden is like a mechanics car ffs its like pans labyrinth.

As well as that im going on YouTube and learning how to change the brakes and minor works on the car, bought a vw socket set two years ago and a lift thingy so I might as well use my head.

Learn how to service the firebird boiler and a bit of plumbing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Having retired a few years ago, I am lucky to have learned how to pass the day without boredom. Treat all this as a marathon not a sprint. Don't try to do everything in a couple of days. Set yourself one main task each day - cut lawns, weeding, wash windows, paint shed, wash car, tidy garage/shed, spring clean a room, get the shopping done. Then do some daily routine things like reading, taking a walk, writing to some relatives or friends. Wash and dry the dishes by hand and give the dishwasher a rest. Take an extra long coffee break in the morning. Take your time with tasks and resist the temptation to rush everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Is there anything there that catches your eye?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058063358/8/#post112980964

The Open University has 1000 free courses available on it's Open Learn site. Some are short ones of around six weeks' duration. Its a massive resource. I'm hopping on there later to have a look (just as soon as I've finished my glass of Malbec).

• Advertisement

cbreeze wrote: »
    The Open University has 1000 free courses available on it's Open Learn site. Some are short ones of around six weeks' duration. Its a massive resource. I'm hopping on there later to have a look (just as soon as I've finished my glass of Malbec).

Are their qualifications still fairly well regarded?

Is the open learn site a different url? Can’t see anything free on their main site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Get some books (or download them onto a device), turn off the internet.
    If you want to learn an instrument, buy one online if you can.
    Learn a language, meditation, listen to relaxing music.
    That old guitar or tin whistle, give it another go!
    I haven't found this difficult at all, the only thing I really miss is sport and being able to go about my business freely.

Buy your kids hurleys and sliotars and do some skills training out the back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Have you ever heard of cleaning? That will keep you busy. It never stops + there is always more to do. I spent two hours today deep cleaning a bathroom!

appledrop wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of cleaning? That will keep you busy. It never stops + there is always more to do. I spent two hours today deep cleaning a bathroom!

I think they’re more looking for something to do that wouldn’t drive you to leaping off the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've been doing a lot of Duolingo, the passive aggressive owl is very happy with me these days. Also playing lots of piano, so if you have an instrument you've always been meaning to put some effort into, now's your chance!
    My partner was over earlier and we sorted out my back garden, was full of weeds etc.
    My only gripe is I have no TV shows to watch that I like, apart from Better Call Saul but that's just one episode a week.
    I also bought a pull up bar that goes on your door frame.
    It's a funny old time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm spending my time studying ... reading ... writing ... doing jigsaw puzzles ... cleaning and rearranging furniture in my apartment ... cooking and baking, trying out new recipes ... nothing too crazy, but I can't say that I'm bored yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Are their qualifications still fairly well regarded?

Is the open learn site a different url? Can’t see anything free on their main site.

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Get a games console and put aside your preconceptions about them being just for kids or basement dwellers - you might surprise yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

so if you have an instrument you've always been meaning to put some effort into, now's your chance!.
    My flute has been out a lot these past few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭gipi

www.futurelearn.com has a range of free online courses

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why do people need to be always DOING something.

I can get by with doing feck all. It is absolute bliss. I'm looking at the weeds, ok tomorrow. I'm looking at the crap in the boxroom, tomorrow.

I could sit outside muffled up on the oul deck last week to read two books on a row on the kindle, with the insulated cup of coffee to hand. Now that is nice.

Enjoy the peace of no timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I have a 3 year old and a 17 month old to look after while my wife is working...what is boredom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I can get by with doing feck all. It is absolute bliss. I'm looking at the weeds, ok tomorrow. I'm looking at the crap in the boxroom, tomorrow.

I could sit outside muffled up on the oul deck last week to read two books on a row on the kindle, with the insulated cup of coffee to hand. Now that is nice.

This is the most sensible post I've read so far, and enjoyable, I'm with you on all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

august12 wrote: »
    This is the most sensible post I've read so far, and enjoyable, I'm with you on all of the above.

Good to have a fellow traveller, we are rare enough these times on the topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I feel similar nowadays, more so as I get older, and I used to get anxious over nothing. I'm pretty sure you're a middle aged fella? Most people seem to get more relaxed and laid back as they get older I've found, so all this isn't that big a deal for me but I feel sorry for younger people, this is stalling everything for them, that's gotta suck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I've been doing a lot of Duolingo, the passive aggressive owl is very happy with me these days.

:pac: :pac:. It's so true :D

We started playing the alphabet game with the kids. Anyone else remember it? One person says the alphabet quietly in their heads, you say stop. Whatever letter they land on you have to write down various words like a girls name, boys name, country etc starting with that letter.

Desperate times call for desperate measures but we have got a fair few laughs out of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I feel similar nowadays, more so as I get older, and I used to get anxious over nothing. I'm pretty sure you're a middle aged fella? Most people seem to get more relaxed and laid back as they get older I've found, so all this isn't that big a deal for me but I feel sorry for younger people, this is stalling everything for them, that's gotta suck!

I am finding it really tough as a younger person. I know there's people saying why do you need to be busy, some people like to be busy. It keeps their mind from wandering. I loved going out on the bike for a few hours and then your on your own with your thoughts, it's an escape from reality.
    I've said it before in other threads, I'm in a final year of a master's , the college haven't given us any info yet on when and if our exams might take place, motivation is getting low. The only release now is a short walk or run outside the house. And even then, people want us to have more totalitarian measures looking at boards this morning ☹️
    Please, just keep this and leave those that want to get out have their short exercise, just because some people can slouch around for 2 weeks doesn't mean it suits everyone else. I'm so bored, I'm so fed up and I can't see an end in sight.

Before you say it, I know the gravity of the situation, I know why we are doing it, but I feel we have gone as far as we need to go with measures before people crack.

With that, if anyone pops in here that has a good routine for short interval running, something to really stretch the legs I'd love to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭blackbullet

arts crafts ,kit modeling airfix,or 3d modeling and rendering download blender free open source 3d software

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

appledrop wrote: »

Jaysus your a riot. :)

Advertisement