Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Range finder

• 28-03-2020 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭

Anyone ever get a Boblov rangefinder from Aliexpress? Wondering what they are like.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I can't help you with that particular one. But I did buy this one in the below link secound hand off a fellow Boards member.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192975341495

I've used it on the hill and in the wood, no issues at all. Had it up the military range and tested it out for accuracy out over 100, 200, 300, 400 yards firing points. Definitely pinged a white washed wall at a known 500 yards.

I had a long term lone of a Leopold RF and to be honest in the field there wasn't much of a muchness between the twos actual field use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Got him!

Hey COOKIEMONSTER, I eventually got one from China via ebay! 6 weeks waiting for it but not up to much due to lockdown so it made no difference. It does exactly what it says on the tin! Thanks !

Brilliant, take it out walking and see how good your range estimation skills are. Go to the local foot ball field and test it at different known distances.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Got him! wrote: »
    Hey COOKIEMONSTER, I eventually got one from China via ebay! 6 weeks waiting for it but not up to much due to lockdown so it made no difference. It does exactly what it says on the tin! Thanks !

Which one did you get. Any chance you could throw up a link. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Got him!

See the one Cookiemonster put me on to. The one I got was about 80 euro I think. Waited 6 weeks for delivery so the exact price slips my mind. Look it up on ALIEXPRESS and you'll get cheaper than ebay.
    Either way it comes from China but it does the trick.

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Which one did you get. Any chance you could throw up a link. Cheers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264407342195

513112.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

I can't help you with that particular one. But I did buy this one in the below link secound hand off a fellow Boards member.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192975341495

I've used it on the hill and in the wood, no issues at all. Had it up the military range and tested it out for accuracy out over 100, 200, 300, 400 yards firing points. Definitely pinged a white washed wall at a known 500 yards.

I had a long term lone of a Leopold RF and to be honest in the field there wasn't much of a muchness between the twos actual field use.

How big was the whitewashed wall? Would you ping a deer at 300-350 yds or a fox at 200+

Savage93 wrote: »
    How big was the whitewashed wall? Would you ping a deer at 300-350 yds or a fox at 200+

A Bigggg wall, but the point was more the accuracy of its ability to range a known distance.

My experience with hand held range finders quickly thought me that trying to ping a small target like a deer out at 300+ yards is difficult. Remember your trying to bounce a beam off that target and back to your device, so if your unsteady you may not get a read. If the object is not 'reflective' then you may not get a return or if there is objects in the way - vegetarian no matter how sparse you'll get false reads. So a clear sight picture and steady base increases your accuracy and potential for a read.

If I can't get a clear read I'll bounce it off any features such as earth banks, rocks, dense vegetarian/trees. I'd go for a prominent feature just to the rear of the target if there was nothing to the side of directly in front. This gives me a good reference point to make a shot based on my zero.

Re Foxs, never used it at night or daylight on actual fox, same scenario as above. If I can get them into 200 yards or less its point and shoot.

Advertisement